Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2021, 15:11   #61
BHPian

Re: The 2021 Tokyo Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
So you think none of them are sports? Should try any of them out. I've attempted 2 and trust me, they require far more athleticism than cricket!
No, but that's just me. Feel free to disagree. Any activity that requires athleticism and look good to watch does not make it a sport. For that matter parkour requires equal if not more athleticism.
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 15:16   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Any activity that requires athleticism and look good to watch does not make it a sport.
Ok, fair enough, so what makes a sport worthy of inclusion in the games? Tradition? Could it be that we're resistant to the idea of new sports simply because we're not used to them?
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 16:41   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Ravi Kumar storms into the final of 57kg free style wrestling competition with a superb come from behind victory. He was trailing big-time for majority part of the bout only to pin his Kazakh opponent down in the dying minutes!
Ravi Kumar settles for SILVER after losing the final bout. Stupendous achievement from the Indian hero, nonetheless.

Update:
Absolute heartbreak for Deepak Punia and Indian fans. Deepak loses the bronze medal bout in the 86kg freestyle wrestling category. He was leading 2-1 with only 15 seconds left in the bout, only to lose 2-4 in the end.

Last edited by Emvi : 5th August 2021 at 17:10. Reason: Update added
Old 5th August 2021, 17:45   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, fair enough, so what makes a sport worthy of inclusion in the games? Tradition? Could it be that we're resistant to the idea of new sports simply because we're not used to them?
Yes tradition does play some part. Other than that I would say popularity, mass appeal and accessibility, perhaps.
But definitely my thought are not aligned with the IOC as evident from the new disciplines included. As I said they are trying to appeal to the new generation with these games.
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 09:10   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes tradition does play some part. Other than that I would say popularity, mass appeal and accessibility, perhaps.
I'd agree with all those points, barring tradition. Tradition for the sake of keeping tradition alive is not a good thing in any aspect of life and especially so in sports.

But even going by the other standards, the 3 new sports make the grade.

All of them are certainly more accessible to some young person wanting to take them up than say equestrian, shooting, or golf (all Olympic Sports). A skateboard, surfboard, or membership at a climbing gym (the numbers growing exponentially in the US, EU, Australia, and Japan) is certainly more affordable than a competition quality rifle, a set of golf clubs and certainly membership at a course, or a horse! More than any other sport, the Equestrian events are I think the most out of touch with the modern games and a good example of tradition and a well organized governing body being the main reason for them still staying on the roster.

Even in India where it's certainly not a popular sport, Sport Climbing has a 25-year old history of serious, National-level competition:

Going by spectator/mass appeal, yesterday's Mens' Climbing Final at Tokyo went down to the last few seconds literally. The 3 medalists weren't decided till the last competitor had finished the last section of the last climb. Doesn't get more compelling than that. (Certainly more appealing than golf or shooting!)

Finally, from what I've seen over the past 5 years, of the competitors in one of the new sports at a national level here in our country, these are not just lifestyle participants. They put in all the hard work, dedication and training as much as any athlete in any of the more established sports. (But like all other sports in our country they are let down by the lack of a good youth system, structure, and by governing body politics.) At the international level, the dedication and training must be exponentially more. So, to dismiss their disciplines as mere youth fads is doing them a great disservice.

Quote:
As I said they are trying to appeal to the new generation with these games.
Which is great IMHO. The boundaries of athleticism are going to be pushed by the next generation, they are the ones who need to participate.

[Now, when Breakdancing makes its debut at the '24 games, I'll be the one doing the old-guy "sports were really sports in my time!" routine! But perhaps I'll be wrong, the World will move on anyway.]

Last edited by am1m : 6th August 2021 at 09:28.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 10:15   #66
BHPian

Bajrang Punia enters Semi finals after pinning down his opponent. in Quarter finals, to win by fall.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 11:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

What a close game it was. Heartbreaking to lose 4-3 against Britain but the Indian Women's Hockey have nothing to be ashamed of. Amazing to have come this far.
deathwalkr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 12:38   #68
BHPian

While hockey and wrestling had our attention, Aditi Ashok has been teeing and putting her way to hold the second position at the end of the third round of the women's individual stroke play in golf. She has been in fine form from the start of the first round and showed great grit and poise under pressure to hold the second position. The field is being led by Nelly korda of the US (daughter of former tennis champ Petr korda) with one more round to go. The winner is decided on the basis of 72 holes played over four days.
hothatchaway is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 13:49   #69
AZT
BHPian

Anyone watching the 20 km Walk race going on now. We're 10 km in and Priyanka from India is in the top 5 out of over 50 athletes.

It's a race of attrition so there's still 10 kms to go.
Old 6th August 2021, 14:56   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Anyone watching the 20 km Walk race going on now. We're 10 km in and Priyanka from India is in the top 5 out of over 50 athletes.

It's a race of attrition so there's still 10 kms to go.
Yes, but now she is at 15/16.. Yesterday men’s 20Km was even more teasing. S Kumar was second up to 8 Kms and slowly dropped pace and finished at 23.
Old 6th August 2021, 14:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
While hockey and wrestling had our attention, Aditi Ashok has been teeing and putting her way to hold the second position at the end of the third round of the women's individual stroke play in golf. She has been in fine form from the start of the first round and showed great grit and poise under pressure to hold the second position. The field is being led by Nelly korda of the US (daughter of former tennis champ Petr korda) with one more round to go. The winner is decided on the basis of 72 holes played over four days.
The Korda family is a sporting family. Her other sibling is also a Tennis player in top 10.
Old 6th August 2021, 15:26   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Skateboarding, surfing and sport climbing are just examples of that.
Surfing is one of the toughest sports to do. We look at images of Baywatch and people just paddling and think its easy. You need impossibly strong core just to balance on the board. Then you need to master how to just ride the wave with the board. It takes years to get to the form where you can even compete in the international level. India has a budding surfing scene in the south and one lady - Ishita Malviya is trying her best to promote the sport.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/19/s...cmd/index.html

Surfing is one of the oldest sports in the world - it has been in existence since 1100 AD. Its good that the IOC recognized the sport and has added it to the Olympics.
no_fear is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 15:33   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
India has a budding surfing scene in the south and one lady - Ishita Malviya is trying her best to promote the sport.
She runs that The Shaka Surf Club in Kodi Bengre near Udupi. Can't miss it while driving to that beach. Now that they have sealed up Kodi Bengre beach with stones to stop beach erosion, I wonder whether the surf club still exists.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 16:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
All of them are certainly more accessible to some young person wanting to take them up than say equestrian, shooting, or golf (all Olympic Sports).
Agree to your points about equestrian and golf. I would also add modern pentathlon to that list, perhaps there are a few more that can be added to the list.

Quote:
Going by spectator/mass appeal, yesterday's Mens' Climbing Final at Tokyo went down to the last few seconds literally. The 3 medalists weren't decided till the last competitor had finished the last section of the last climb. Doesn't get more compelling than that. (Certainly more appealing than golf or shooting!)
Depends on what you find compelling (I find shooting and archery absolutely fascinating to watch). In today's world some would say that events have to be thrilling and compact enough to entice people to get their heads up from their mobile phones long enough.

Quote:
So, to dismiss their disciplines as mere youth fads is doing them a great disservice.
Point well taken. Perhaps I am too hasty to dismiss these so early. Let's reserve the judgement for the future.
yosbert is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 16:26   #75
BHPian

Another Olympic wrestling medal for India! Bhajrang Punia wins BRONZE with a comfortable victory in the medal bout.

All eyes on Neeraj Chopra now.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks