Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 20:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

What to do with some diesel & mostly petrol mixture?

I am currently in possession of around 20~ ltrs of aforementioned liquid. I don't know how this happened but I am guessing the assistant at fuel station had something against a diesel Renault Pulse and refilled it with Rs. 2000 worth of petrol which was supposed to be diesel. Anyhoo.

The car of course died after a while and had to be towed. Per the owner, car managed to move a good distance before refusing to start again once it was turned off at a parking spot. I am guessing the poor vehicle sucked every last drop of diesel and finally gave up when petrol % overpowered diesel %.

After about Rs 8k worth of towing, repairing, replacement (of fuel filter), cleaning the car came home from service station with fuel cans in the boot, leaking a little making the car smell like someone washed interiors with petrol.

Those cans mostly seemed filled with petrol and smelled like petrol too. SO we decided it was too precious besides environmentally harmful to just dump.

I took out some of that fuel in a syringe and did the "filter paper" test as mentioned on IOC and other websites to see how pure the petrol is.
Unfortunately, all the drops on filter paper left oily marks behind and never really evaporated fully the way pure petrol is supposed to.
That was disappointing since I was hopeful (because of color, viscosity and smell) that I could possibly use it in my Activa. But seems like no dice?

So - what can I do with that cocktail?

P.S. The car was driven with all windows open to flush away nauseating smell and reached my home some 120kms away safely.
amol4184 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: What to do with some diesel & mostly petrol mixture?

I assume you are not looking for monetory benefits from the mixture. People who have bikes above 300cc and super bikes need diesel for chain cleaning. If you are comfortable with giving away the mixture free of cost, post it in the give away thread in team BHP. There are many bike enthusiasts in your location(again, I am assuming, it is Pune). You can give 1litre per person and within a week you can disburse entire 20 litres.

One word of caution: Please do not give the mixture to anyone who plans to use directly for combustion. We do not know how much is the petrol content and how much is the diesel content in the mixture. Using it directly for combustion will be dangerous proposition.

This is just my suggestion. You can take a call. If you are planning to do something else, please ignore my post and suggestion

Last edited by gkveda : 13th June 2021 at 20:48.
gkveda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Old jugaad method: add 2T Oil to make it thicker, and use in places where kerosene is used. If you know someone who uses kerosene for something, then they can use it.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:47   #4
BHPian

If you are a DIY kind of guy, it can be used as a de-greaser / parts cleaner. But keep a fire extinguisher handy along with lots of common sense as to where you will be using it.

regards adrian
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:53   #5
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't you just hand it over to a local mechanic/FNG ? They can use it for cleaning parts when servicing 2/4 wheelers.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 22:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
... So - what can I do with that cocktail?
Whatever you do, never use this petrol mixture to light up anything. Petrol burns explosively, I've seen first hand instances of people being greviously injured after getting a match near petrol.

for your call to not just dump it and add to environmental contamination.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th June 2021 at 22:20.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 23:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dear amol4184,

Please dispose off the mixture safely with whatever method you prefer. Please note that petrol is highly flammable and its vapor burns like anything, we all know that. Discuss with some local garage in your area and give it to him.

Last edited by GTO : 14th June 2021 at 19:58. Reason: Typos
Old 14th June 2021, 00:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sure a local FNG can find numerous uses for this mixture. As for your case:
- If you can be safe enough, you can use this to start a fire.
- You can also use this to clean stuff like, oil covered metallic parts in the engine bay with big.
- You can mix this in parts with old school diesel engines.
- You can use this in parts in petrol 2 stroke agri machines.

I'm sure you can find many more uses. Whatever you do, dont throw it off and waste money. Please at least donate it to the local FNG.

Last edited by dhanushs : 14th June 2021 at 00:38.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 00:45   #9
BHPian

Item for the giveaway thread. Pls post it there and maybe an older model diesel bullet owner in your locality will be very happy.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 14th June 2021 at 00:47.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 01:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

The best thing would be to give it to a FNG or service center where they can use the mixture as a cleaning agent or for other purposes requiring fuel alternatives. Take care to ensure that the stored fuel is in a safe container and away from any source of fire, heat or sparks. Also make sure some fire extinguisher or fire extinguishing materials are around to handle any emergency.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 07:16   #11
BHPian

A small time car and bike wash cleaning centre will thank you for the mixture. They use it to clean underbody parts where the thick muck does not get dislodged easily. It helps to loosen the muck and then a soap wash is all what is needed to make the vehicle spic and span.

Good thing is this method is specifically used more during rainy season because of the muck collected on underbody parts during the season. The low temperatures and rain help from any mishaps happening if used carefully.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 09:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a similar mixture , around 20% diesel and 80% petrol. I took a 10 litre can from my neighbor to get fuel for the car which which run out of fuel. The can already had some diesel in it, which my neighbor said was petrol. After I filled the petrol(around 8 litres), the fellow calls me and says to empty the content inside the can before filling, since it is diesel.

Long story short.. a pulsar and activa scooter ran well on this mixture. Did not face any knocking or loss of power. You can try filling a litre of the mixture you have on your activa and see if it runs fine. If yes, then you can continue using it.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 14th June 2021 at 09:05.
sagarpadaki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 09:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I had a similar mixture , around 20% diesel and 80% petrol.

Long story short.. a pulsar and activa scooter ran well on this mixture. .
So looks like usable mix for older carb based petrol vehicles.

Good point, Sagar ,, thanks
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 10:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Actually NO. Diesel will clog the carb. Which will then need cleaning. I wouldn't recommend this to any daily use vehicle. Old Jeeps, yes. Agri machinary, yes. That too in parts.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I assume you are not looking for monetory benefits from the mixture. People who have bikes above 300cc and super bikes need diesel for chain cleaning. If you are comfortable with giving away the mixture free of cost, post it in the give away thread in team BHP. There are many bike enthusiasts in your location(again, I am assuming, it is Pune). You can give 1litre per person and within a week you can disburse entire 20 litres.
Correct I am definitely not looking at getting money back from this. Good idea on the give away! I am currently not in Pune but I will be going there soon.

Quote:
Old jugaad method: add 2T Oil to make it thicker, and use in places where kerosene is used. If you know someone who uses kerosene for something, then they can use it.
Can this be used in Yamaha RX100? My friend adds 2T oil in the petrol tank even though there is an oil tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
If you are a DIY kind of guy, it can be used as a de-greaser / parts cleaner. But keep a fire extinguisher handy along with lots of common sense as to where you will be using it.

regards adrian
That was my first thought. But 20 ltrs is too much! I don't even have a motorcycle now to clean the chain. May be for rust removal from various gardening equipment at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Why don't you just hand it over to a local mechanic/FNG ? They can use it for cleaning parts when servicing 2/4 wheelers.
A friend has fabrication unit here and has lot of machinery for bending and cutting metal sheets. He said he can take it since all those machines need regular cleaning/decarbonization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Whatever you do, never use this petrol mixture to light up anything. Petrol burns explosively, I've seen first hand instances of people being greviously injured after getting a match near petrol.

for your call to not just dump it and add to environmental contamination.
True. And I live hot, dry area. Petrol to start fires is definitely a BAD idea. Like others said I would mostly give it to someone who needs to clean machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Dear amol4184

Please dispose off the mixture safely with whatever method you prefer. Please note that petrol is highly flammable and its vapor burn like anything, we all know that. Disuss with some local garage in your area and give it to him.
I think I can barter AUX light fitment on my Activa in exchange of this liquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
- You can mix this in parts with old school diesel engines.
- You can use this in parts in petrol 2 stroke agri machines.
On that note, will it work in petrol generators? Or 2 stroke motorcycles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Item for the giveaway thread. Pls post it there and maybe an older model diesel bullet owner in your locality will be very happy.
Won't they need mostly diesel and some petrol in it? What I have is mostly petrol, think 85-90%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
The best thing would be to give it to a FNG or service center where they can use the mixture as a cleaning agent or for other purposes requiring fuel alternatives. Take care to ensure that the stored fuel is in a safe container and away from any source of fire, heat or sparks. Also make sure some fire extinguisher or fire extinguishing materials are around to handle any emergency.
Housed safely in 5 ltr oil cans. Have kept the cans in a dark area. If my friend doesn't take it off of my hands, it will go to my mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
A small time car and bike wash cleaning centre will thank you for the mixture. They use it to clean underbody parts where the thick muck does not get dislodged easily. It helps to loosen the muck and then a soap wash is all what is needed to make the vehicle spic and span.

Good thing is this method is specifically used more during rainy season because of the muck collected on underbody parts during the season. The low temperatures and rain help from any mishaps happening if used carefully.
I can use it on my Jeep but my biggest worry is it catching fire somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I had a similar mixture , around 20% diesel and 80% petrol. I took a 10 litre can from my neighbor to get fuel for the car which which run out of fuel. The can already had some diesel in it, which my neighbor said was petrol. After I filled the petrol(around 8 litres), the fellow calls me and says to empty the content inside the can before filling, since it is diesel.

Long story short.. a pulsar and activa scooter ran well on this mixture. Did not face any knocking or loss of power. You can try filling a litre of the mixture you have on your activa and see if it runs fine. If yes, then you can continue using it.
That thought did strike me! But I held off at the last moment. The Activa has been bulletproof till now and don't want to spoil the record because I knowingly put something in it which I shouldn't have?
Reply from Dhanush perfectly explains my dilemma.

Quote:

I am guessing it might work better on 2 stroke bikes compared to 4 strokers like Activa? Ours is first gen with carburetor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Actually NO. Diesel will clog the carb. Which will then need cleaning. I wouldn't recommend this to any daily use vehicle. Old Jeeps, yes. Agri machinary, yes. That too in parts.
Same. I am hesitant to use it.
When you say old Jeeps, which ones would those be, and what should be the mixture? I am guessing you mean adding this mixture to diesel...?
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks