Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2021, 07:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June

F&F 1 and 2 were sleeper hits which introduced the world to underground street racing and some sweet Japanese cars like the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Nissan Skyline and Toyota Supra. There were a lot of unnecessary gear and clutch changing scenes, which I promptly forgot, several scenes where females were scantily dressed, which I vividly remember, and then some car chases that made up the rest of the fun

The rest of the franchise devolved into gharaana, yaarana and zindagi na milegi dubaara sentiments. Gave an immediate pass. If I want to hear about "family" and how family is everything, I will go to the cineplex, book a Karan Johar flick, and happily take a solid 3 hr nap in air con.

Last edited by no_fear : 31st May 2021 at 07:23.
no_fear is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 08:44   #17
BHPian

Another one? Even Mad Max knew when to stop. Sigh.
The cars look exciting enough though. I suppose those are the biggest draw in the movie. Which actually gives me an idea.

Yo GTO.
How about TBHP produce a movie.
Starring all kinds of exotic cars. Even vintage beauties.
Plot? Doesn't matter.
Plot twist: "Race" on India roads, notorious for their vehicle density. e.g. Laxmi Road Pune.
Each movie will focus on one city. It will be hilarious to see the drivers struggle. So many horses under the hood, but nowhere to go. And just as the driver finally manages to skilfully overtake a slow moving aunty in front of him, BAM a rickshawala emerges out of nowhere and blocks the way.

And it should be called, Slow and Frustrated.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st May 2021 at 12:14. Reason: As requested.
RedTerrano is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 11:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

That send-off scene with Paul Walker's car driving into the sunset would have been the perfect ending for the franchise. He seemed like a genuine down to earth guy rather than a celebrity. My favorite two in the franchise would be the first movie and Tokyo Drift for the technical side, racing and drifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Nissan Skyline GT-R
Attachment 2162038
Is this blue Skyline from the latest movie ? There is only one person worthy of driving the skyline in the franchise ! Please don't tell me there are bringing him back after that iconic sendoff !

Name:  toyota supra.PNG
Views: 1956
Size:  785.3 KB

Meanwhile the iconic Toyota Supra from the first movie is up for grabs at Barrett-Jackson's Las Vegas auction taking place June 18-19. If I had the dough I would put my money on this ten second car
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 11:16   #19
BHPian

Going through all the comments here, I am thinking why a particular point all of you missed. The most beautiful part of the franchise is the ever evolving villains or antagonists. No real villain dies, instead they join the team of Dominic Torotto . Rock was stopping Dom in one movie, from the next movie onward they became accomplices . Shaw 1, Shaw 2 all went the same way. Only one villain remains, Cypher. Hope with this movie, she also joins the team.
commonman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 11:23   #20
S2K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Plot? Doesn't matter.
Plot twist: "Race" on India roads, notorious for their vehicle density. e.g. Laxmi Road Pune.
A nice idea to even get people familiar with each city's culture.

Also your comment did bring back some pre-pandemic memories where I and my girlfriend, just lazy to walk, took an Activa through the Tulsibaug market lane
Motivated after crossing it successfully, a couple of weeks later when I had a rented car with me for the weekend, I even decided to see how further along I could take it through the lane during the hustling hours of evening. That was a failed endeavour though
But it was so fun and stressful both at the same time!! Makes me wish the pandemic didn't happen or it disappears overnight.
S2K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 16:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

One of those movies that we know and are piggybacking on the legacy of the first few ones.

This, Terminator, Jurassic Park and may I add James Bond franchise too. Except for the James Bond franchise, we know for sure that sequels don't measure upto atleast the first two-three ones. Still we end up watching them, almost like a ritual.

Found this on instagram, am sure atleast one of the admins in this page is a BHPian.
Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-screenshot_20210531141638.png

Last edited by DicKy : 31st May 2021 at 16:23.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 09:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

This is all fine.
However, can someone comment on how one is supposed to watch this? Which OTT is going to release this?
Old 1st June 2021, 09:24   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After some really poor experiences, I am never going to a theatre to watch any Fast & Furious movie. At best, on a bored afternoon at home when I have absolutely nothing better to do. The earlier ones still had some entertainment for car guys. On the other hand, the last few ones have primarily been senseless, brain-dead action movies that just happened to have a few fancy cars in them.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 15:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
This is all fine.
However, can someone comment on how one is supposed to watch this? Which OTT is going to release this?
Even I want to know which OTT it will release on!

Not paying money for this! No way!
Old 1st June 2021, 18:16   #25
BHPian

Just my 2 cents -
Check out @fred_north on Instagram, he is a helicopter pilot responsible for shooting some of the best stunts in the franchise, you may find some BTS too
Also, like some previous franchises isn’t there any Desi guy this time in the movie too?
Old 1st June 2021, 19:12   #26
BHPian

What trumps me is that in the first movie these guys were stealing from trucks on highways and now they are saving the world and thereby humanity.

I like the destination, but not quite sure how the transformation took place. Nevertheless be prepared to walk out with a worthy headache and popcorn spills on your t shirt, from a movie theatre.
Old 1st June 2021, 20:28   #27
BHPian

They REALLY should have ended the franchise with the fifth movie, which would have been a logical conclusion, instead of coming out with new movies supplemented by bringing old characters back from the dead, bringing in new villains (along with their brothers and exes) and bringing old villains over to the good side to fight the new villains.
I will not even get into the disturbing absence of logic.
Old 1st June 2021, 20:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well, only CID has milked it's brand equity even more than F&F.

Honestly, the movies after Tokyo Drift have been pretty underwhelming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Yo GTO.
Plot? Doesn't matter.
Plot twist: "Race" on India roads, notorious for their vehicle density. e.g. Laxmi Road Pune.....BAM a rickshawala emerges out of nowhere and blocks the way.

And it should be called, Slow and Frustrated.

Reminds me of this: (Too many unsafe driving practices in this video)

Mods: Please delete in inappropriate. Apologies in advance.
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:19   #29
BHPian

Spoiler : At the end, Dom (Vin Diesel) will eat lunch with his friends, and cite the importance of the family.

Jokes apart, reiterating what others have said in unison,
The franchise was good only till Tokyo Drift.
But, who won't wanna welcome a senseless action packed blockbuster to break the monotony during these tough Corona lockdown times.

Last edited by Nitish.arnold : 2nd June 2021 at 10:20. Reason: Removed smileys
Old 2nd June 2021, 12:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ended up watching F9 last night.

Generally, I watch F&F sequels purely for the cars and (maybe Gal Gadot).
Even in this latest sequel, there were some nice ones.

However, they are really running out of story ideas as its becoming more and more science-fiction (add the word "brainless" before that).

I haven't felt so disappointed after watching any F&F sequel, but F9 really disappointed me. I felt I wasted my two hours, even with the cars they showed.

My recommendation: Stay away from this one
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks