Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2021, 09:14   #31
AJo
BHPian

Re: Pics: Got an inflatable swimming pool for my terrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
Just one clarification required, Along with my self practice I want to have this for my pets to enjoy as well. Is the material sturdy enough for dog claws / dewclaws ?
Thank you for your kind words. The vinyl seems sturdy enough, but have no idea if good enough for claws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_in_flesh View Post
Just one question.. did you have to take any permissions from local authorities to get this installed? Also what about the water consumption? Does it require permits too?
Thank you. To be honest - I have no idea. I was more concerned with the structural safety, which I did get audited by a struct. engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Covid and subsequent gym closures along with a lot of stress in personal and professional life made sure that I can no longer see my foot over my gut when I look down. Planning to change that now I'm working closer to home now. Thank you so much for this thread
Exactly - the gym & pool closures got me thinking in this direction. I probably would not have done this if the regular pools would have been open. Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Karter View Post
I had only seen the endless pool concept till now. I don't know the exact structure of counter current machines but if they are that expensive, can't we simply put a 3 hp pump jet in water with some over hanging metal stand; well that's a 'jugaad' after all.
Currently planning to spend nearly 15 lakhs more for an apartment upgrade just for the sake of having swimming pool in the new apartment complex.
Some day I dream of having a concrete or container pool with glass windows on sides to make it a human aquarium.
All the best for your future plans.
Kindly post some more pictures of the cover, filter pump etc.
I guess the pump should work, but may not give you the ability to modulate water-speed/flow etc. Like I said - using a Rs.1500/- tether compared to the other alternatives, was a no-brainer.
Wow - The glass walled pool/aquarium is a great concept. (I can only wish I could have something like that. Thank you for your nice words. Will post some more pics later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
A typical roof is being designed for 4kN/m² which translates to roughly 400kg/m². A 4 foot(1.2m) high pool is roughly 12kN/m². Roofs designed with the purpose of bearing heavy machinery with high vibrations rarely cross 10kM/m².

How does a typical roof bear a load three times the one it had been designed for?

If the building roof hasn't been designed for such a heavier load, it is highly advisable to avoid loading it in this manner.
I agree with your advise - Get the roof audited by an experienced struct. engineer before any thoughts in this direction. I had consulted my struct. engineer before I put it in & trust his 25+ years of experience & the fact that he designed my structure.
AJo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 12:29   #32
BHPian

Very nice! Congratulations!! Just what I have been searching for, the tether, since countercurrent installations are way beyond me.

How and where can I get a tether for swimming?
Old 26th April 2021, 12:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

House with a rooftop swimming pool! That is a nice and cost effective solution during this pandemic. Can you please post full picture of the tensile roof? What is the total area and how much it costs?

Last edited by Latheesh : 26th April 2021 at 12:52.
Old 26th April 2021, 12:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Some swimmers and triathletes have also set up compact indoor "Endless Pools" - a concept which is now quite popular internationally.

When I had gone for Ironman Dubai, I had met a doctor from Nagpur who had set this up in his home (if I recall correctly) so its possible these are now being retailed here as well. If you enjoy this concept maybe in due course you may consider upgrading to one of these.
I remember seeing one demo many years ago at Decathlon, Sarjapur, Bangalore. The entire setup took the space of one car parking. Probably they stopped selling due to low demand.
Old 26th April 2021, 14:40   #35
BHPian

Hello Ajo,
That was a fantastic piece of information. Could be usefull to many. I had seen these kinds of inflatable pools in backyards, mostly in movies from US/Europe, but on a terrace is somewhat unique(at least for this size of pool). Though I liked your concept very much, but am a bit skeptical about the kind of load on the building structure. I don't want to sound negative but just being cautious.

In fact I have a terrace which can take your kind of a pool size and for a moment gave it a serious thought, but was not convinced with the load distribution calculations.

As also pointed by fellow BHPian COMMUTER, usually by design the maximum load bearing capacity of a typical residential building roofs do not cross 500 kgs/m2. In your case the water load is about 20000kgs(if you fill the pool to its brim) over a surface area of 16.5m2 which translates to a load distribution of 1220 kgs/m2 on the terrace, which is about 2.5 times the designed load bearing capacity unless such kind of a Factor of Safety is built in. Fellow readers, please correct me if I am wrong here. So please have it rechecked if you can in the interest of safety.

In the meantime, enjoy your pool safely.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 16:04   #36
BHPian

I am not a mechanical or a structural engineer but I think without info like thickness of the RCC slab, Beam/Pillar cross sectional dimensions and position of the load ( the pool), its not possible to make any conclusions.

PS : Only thing certain is that a 20KL tank when fully filled would actually weigh 20Tonnes.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th April 2021 at 16:19. Reason: Changed 2 to 20
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 16:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
I caught the swimming bug late in life (at 45, in 2014) & had been swimming at least 5 days a week. (Till the covid shut-downs happened). Also - not swimming since Mar'20, meant that my low-back pain was back with a vengeance. I was really missing my daily swim. Wanted to change that!!
I have always believed that swimming is the best exercise for mind and body. I had to give it up due to lack of options.
Your thread has given me hope of restarting swimming .

If I may ask, what is the minimum area required to set up this pool.
manchandap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

This is awesome. This gives me an idea to actually look for a inflatable jacuzzi. Dont know if thats possible.
Want to chill out with a couple of.....
danlalan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 11:57   #39

Thank you very much for this inspiring post. And kudos to your ideas!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks