Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 08:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: Got an inflatable swimming pool for my terrace

Very cool. Didn't know about tethered swimming before. A friend once enquired about a similar setup (longer pool for regular swimming without tether) and his architect said it is not safe due to static & dynamic loads on the structure unless the building was designed for such loads. Bangalore weather is unfortunately a little too cold for recreational swimming but I remember how much I loved swimming when I lived in Chennai
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:13   #17
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Very cool. Didn't know about tethered swimming before. A friend once enquired about a similar setup (longer pool for regular swimming without tether) and his architect said it is not safe due to static & dynamic loads on the structure unless the building was designed for such loads. Bangalore weather is unfortunately a little too cold for recreational swimming but I remember how much I loved swimming when I lived in Chennai
Yes - Always talk to a structural engineer before you plan for a pool on the roof-top. Small pools (upto 20k liters) should not be an issue, provided you locate the pool at an appropriate location (identified by the struct. engineer).
Regards cold weather - The pool manufacturer (Intex), actually has a solar heating pad which can be attached to the filter pump & can make the pool water comfortable for swimming. (Its available in the US at walmart/ amazon/ home depot etc for about $30).
Thanks,
AJ
AJo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:24   #18
BHPian

That is a massive load on your terrace! Hope you considered the structural support of the roof, while positioning the pool.

Edit: Sorry, Just saw that being answered in the previous post.

Last edited by crdi : 23rd April 2021 at 10:26.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
I am sure a lot of us swimming enthusiasts must be feeling terrible that swimming pools have been closed since last year.

I caught the swimming bug late in life (at 45, in 2014) & had been swimming at least 5 days a week.
Great to see another swim addict and kudos to your passion. Absolutely love the look of your garden as well. Maybe we can meet in person also some day godwilling. I have a second home in Pune.

Some swimmers and triathletes have also set up compact indoor "Endless Pools" - a concept which is now quite popular internationally.

When I had gone for Ironman Dubai, I had met a doctor from Nagpur who had set this up in his home (if I recall correctly) so its possible these are now being retailed here as well. If you enjoy this concept maybe in due course you may consider upgrading to one of these.

You can set the pace / tempo (much like using a metronome in your ear to manage and train at specific stroke rates, a common swimming drill with swimmers).

The biggest advantage of course is losing that unnatural cord which then allows your body to move as it would in a normal pool and allow focus on perfecting your technique.

There is a lovely video which used an indoor endless pool to demonstrate swim cadence (lower stroke rate) by Ocean Walker (his technique is quite close to the Total Immersion method. Do check it out below. Its a great look at endless pools too with an enjoyable stroke technique to boot.

Here are a few more videos for you to see these pools in more detail but if you had to watch only one video, please see the Ocean Walker one above.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd April 2021 at 10:37.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:58   #20
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Great to see another swim addict and kudos to your passion. Absolutely love the look of your garden as well. Maybe we can meet in person also some day godwilling. I have a second home in Pune.

Some swimmers and triathletes have also set up compact indoor "Endless Pools" - a concept which is now quite popular internationally.
Hello Axe77,
Thank you for your kind words. I would be happy to meet you some day.

I did look at the "Endless Pools" concept, which consists of a 'counter-current' machine. I was given quotes of Rs 1.2 Lacs+, only for the machine, which was a deal-breaker. Also, the machine usually needs a brick or conc pool wall to hang the machine & hence not possible to use with a vinyl pool. (Theoretically I guess, one could rig up a fabricated frame to hang it even in a vinyl pool, but since my tether costed about Rs1500/, the decision was a no-brainer). My goal was to get the entire pool set-up done in about Rs.50k.
Also - One of the key points to consider (apart from cost) with respect to having a vinyl pool as against a brick/FRP/concrete pool was flexibility.
Now - I have the flexibility to roll up the pool & store it if I don't want to use it in future (Assuming regular pools open up again, say next year). Or even replace the current one with a larger pool maybe 5-6 years down the line, if need be. (There are 18' dia or even rectangular pools available in vinyl).
AJo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:10   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
There is a lovely video which used an indoor endless pool to demonstrate swim cadence (lower stroke rate) by Ocean Walker (his technique is quite close to the Total Immersion method.
This is really cool! I had been practicing total immersion technique and had used this in my half ironman in Goa. Now I am tempted to build a small endless pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Hello Axe77,
I did look at the "Endless Pools" concept, which consists of a 'counter-current' machine. I was given quotes of Rs 1.2 Lacs+, only for the machine, which was a deal-breaker.
Are there dealers for this in India? Can you point me to the dealer who you had checked with?
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:44   #22
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Are there dealers for this in India? Can you point me to the dealer who you had checked with?
To my knowledge, Counter-current machines from couple of companies are being sold here - Austin & Emaux. Just google these names & should give you a local dealer close to you (usually via Indiamart). The quotes I received were from "turn-key pool" agencies, so I guess they sourced it from the main local dealers in/around Mumbai or Pune.

Cheers,
AJ
AJo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 02:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is just very cool! Amazing stuff, AJo!
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 10:28   #24
BHPian

Wow. Thanks for sharing this Ajo and the link to the shop. Tethered pooling is something new to me.
blueshift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 12:50   #25
BHPian

This has to be the Coolest thing that I have seen in 2021. Not the pool but the idea of tethering to swim. Thanks a lot for sharing this A.Jo. You have a brilliant setup

Just one clarification required, Along with my self practice I want to have this for my pets to enjoy as well. Is the material sturdy enough for dog claws / dewclaws ?
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 22:10   #26
BHPian

Hi, heartiest congratulations on having this lovely pool. I am sure it’s must be a great boon to have one to counter the sweltering Pune heat. Just one question.. did you have to take any permissions from local authorities to get this installed? Also what about the water consumption? Does it require permits too?
Old 24th April 2021, 22:31   #27
BHPian

Man! That is a real cool setup you got there. I was casually browsing team bhp while I was at work, came upon your thread, and by the time I reached home, I was up and running with a measuring tape trying to locate a site for this setup in my home. I am a bit apprehensive about the roof due to structural integrity reasons, so considering installing this in the front yard.

I'm also a late comer to the wonderful art of swimming. Having made the plunge (literally and figuratively) back in 2016, when I was around 26. Had an aquatics complex close by during those days, so had no issue going for a swim regularly. My work took me to Wayanad where good aquatics were rare, so I missed out on this for a few years now. And I agree with people saying swimming is like meditating. It's the only place where you can feel weightless and fly. Couple the swim sessions with some great music and you achieve nirvana! The following pic is a testament to that fact.
Pics: Got an inflatable swimming pool for my terrace-vlcsnap2019081822h06m59s042.png
Covid and subsequent gym closures along with a lot of stress in personal and professional life made sure that I can no longer see my foot over my gut when I look down. Planning to change that now I'm working closer to home now. Thank you so much for this thread

Last edited by GKR9900 : 24th April 2021 at 22:34.
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 00:19   #28
BHPian

Wow, you have brought this to reality.
Your dedication towards swimming meditation is simply outstanding. That waist tether is brilliant idea.

I had only seen the endless pool concept till now. I don't know the exact structure of counter current machines but if they are that expensive, can't we simply put a 3 hp pump jet in water with some over hanging metal stand; well that's a 'jugaad' after all.

I share the same passion for swimming as that of you. I have been toiling with the idea of having a private pool. But since last 9 years got landed in the vertical urban jungle of Navi Mumbai.
Currently planning to spend nearly 15 lakhs more for an apartment upgrade just for the sake of having swimming pool in the new apartment complex.

Some day I dream of having a concrete or container pool with glass windows on sides to make it a human aquarium.

All the best for your future plans.
Kindly post some more pictures of the cover, filter pump etc.
H Karter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 01:35   #29
BANNED

A typical roof is being designed for 4kN/m² which translates to roughly 400kg/m². A 4 foot(1.2m) high pool is roughly 12kN/m². Roofs designed with the purpose of bearing heavy machinery with high vibrations rarely cross 10kM/m².

How does a typical roof bear a load three times the one it had been designed for?

A building has a minimum design life of 30 years and takes into consideration the most prevalent adverse condition. Hence, the structure can bear a heavier load for a short while but will loose resilience against fatigue throughout its design life.

If the building roof hasn't been designed for such a heavier load, it is highly advisable to avoid loading it in this manner.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 08:17   #30
BHPian

Although everything seems quite good and inspiring but I still have my doubts with the structural strength of the roof/ building. I would be more tensed than energetic with such a set-up on my head.

If the roof is not made or reinforced for the load then I have my doubts.

15K litres would almost translate to 15K KGs load on a specific area of your roof.

Please excuse me for being a bit negative but I would chicken out with such an idea.

Kudos to your zeal and guts for pursuing your passion to this level.
Drive Head is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks