Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2004, 12:28   #1
BHPian

Saw this on Indiacar message board..

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Malimar Exports... Your friend and partner in Used Cars trading
We are Singapore Used (Right hand Drive) Cars exporter.We have many stock good quality cars for export. Please visit us at: http://malimar_export.tripod.com *
any idea about customs duties involved... is it worth at all to look at this.

~maniac
Old 16th September 2004, 14:03   #2
BHPian

i thought singapore itself had 300% duty on incoming cars...so even the used would be terribly expensive...best option is japan...

but if u find them 4 cheap, duty is 175% i think, excluding reg, octroi and ins...

Old 16th September 2004, 14:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (_Crazi4Speed_ @ Sep. 16 2004,12:33)]i thought singapore itself had 300% duty on incoming cars...so even the used would be terribly expensive...best option is japan...

but if u find them 4 cheap, duty is 175% i think, excluding reg, octroi and ins...
Used cars are worthless in singapore. After 10years the car must be scrapped, exported else you pay a higher tax and obtain a new certificate of entitlement (this costs around Rs 7lakhs and limits no of cars on the road and is sold by tender). Part of the price is a refundable scrap value. At one point during the slump, it was cheaper to scrap a 3 year old luxury car and buy a new one as the certificates for big cars were going for nothing.
Old 16th September 2004, 14:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

'99 Subaru WRX STi 2 door for Sg$ 12,500! Thats less than 3.5 lakhs!!! holy crap!!
Old 16th September 2004, 15:38   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow!! Thats insanely cheap compared to some other countries that Team-BHP has seen prices on. Transportation costs should not be a biggie either. The laws are extremely strict out there against street racing, the infrastructure is excellent and the overall size is more like that of a city than an actual country = Apparently good quality cars.

Question is : Why didnt this ever come up before? Or is this a trade secret that Choksi and company have been following for years?

GTO
Old 16th September 2004, 15:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ Sep. 16 2004,00:41)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (_Crazi4Speed_ @ Sep. 16 2004,12:33)]i thought singapore itself had 300% duty on incoming cars...so even the used would be terribly expensive...best option is japan...

Used cars are worthless in singapore. After 10years the car must be scrapped, exported else you pay a higher tax and obtain a new certificate of entitlement (this costs around Rs 7lakhs and limits no of cars on the road and is sold by tender). Part of the price is a refundable scrap value. At one point during the slump, it was cheaper to scrap a 3 year old luxury car and buy a new one as the certificates for big cars were going for nothing.
I think the same rule applied to japan as well..but japan doesnt have the 300% duty on their imports..so technically it should be cheaper until there is no duty between japan and singapore..which seem highly likely..

but i know even in japan u have to scrap cars older than a certain age..

A big dealer in delhi told me that he gets all his cars from japan auctions..cuz they turn out real cheap and somehow he brings the cars in with new car duty...
Old 16th September 2004, 16:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Japan is a collusion between the car manufacturer, insurance and government, the car has to go through a safety test which involves dismanlting the car for "inspection" , things get costly so people decide to bin the car and buy a new one
Old 16th September 2004, 18:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

You really ought to look at these sites of Japanese used car exporters.... the rates just drive you NUTS.

Japan Partner
RAMADBK

There are also loads of exporters for bikes but they ship by the container and not individual pieces.
Old 16th September 2004, 19:07   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I can buy a book off the internet, but never a car!! I would need to go and check it out in person. Testdrive and get it verified by a reputable shop. Do these kind of transactions allow it?

Either ways, without travelling to the country of sale...I wouldnt part with a rupee over the internet.

GTO
Old 17th September 2004, 22:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Used cars from S`pore are really cheap.It better to get some money off the car than scrappin it.I had seen a 360M for around 40L INR.
Although for a brand new 1,the Lancer costs around 17L INR,
Mondeo 34L INR,a C class 42L INR.
They are frickin expensive.

As in Japan the cars are cheap.And the cheapest being German cars.One can get a nicely maintaned stock S350 for around 20L INR.
Evos around 3L-5L INR.
Impreza`s are more cheaper at around 2.5L INR.
But its Mercedes and Jaguars that are the cheapest.

Just for the record the Indian Lancers and Honda Citys are available for 1L-2L INR.

Cya.

Old 17th September 2004, 22:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

And yeah,forgot to mention.......the TurboCharged cars are the cheapest in Japan.

And bikes too are cheap enough.One can get a stock HayaBusa`s for dirt price.

Cya.

Old 21st October 2004, 17:23   #12

You can get used cars cheap nowadays, particularly large engine capacity cars, as the rosd tax here are prohibative. What's the import regulations like in India

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks