Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 14:38   #16
BHPian

Prarthana Beach Drive-in Theatre , Chennai

Prarthana Beach Drive-in Theatre , Chennai

Opened in 1991, this still exists and a very popular one. It gives a fantastic experience very different to the multiplex/theater screens.

The screen size is massive and you can see it from one of the pics attached below taken from the road that shows the rear side of the screen relative to the 3 storied building complex.

The yellow poles that you see in the pics are the ones that houses speakers for each car bay.

From their website (http://www.prarthanadriveintheatre.com/) :

Drive-in arena :

Prarthana is India’s only and one of the world’s first drive-in theatres located near the coast/beach-side. It is equipped with digital projection & digital sound. It has a one of a kind imposing curved concrete screen of about 4500sq.ft. Each car is provided with an exclusive bay on elevated ramps to view the movie.

Restaurant at drive-in :

A delectable vegetarian spread that has a dinner menu along with a snack menu can be enjoyed while watching the movie. We serve at your car or you could enjoy your meal at the restaurant area.

Kids play area at drive-in :

We have an outdoor play area for our youngest customers who like to break into an activity while watching the movie.

Gallery :

This roofed area with a snack counter is for those preferring a seating experience and for those who visit Prarthana in vehicles other than four wheelers.
Attached Thumbnails
Drive-in cinemas in India-pr0.jpg  

Drive-in cinemas in India-pr1.jpg  

Drive-in cinemas in India-pr3.jpg  

Drive-in cinemas in India-pr2.jpg  

Drive-in cinemas in India-pr5.jpg  

rubicon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 18:53   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Drive-in cinemas in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Plus, as Indians, we just don't have the civic sense in such a place. I would expect way too much noise from other cars, littering, no proper parking sense etc.
I can understand where such a perception comes from but... Believe me, having seen many drive-in movies at Chennai (2008-10), parking by the patrons was immaculate, courtesy the speaker posts. There was little to no littering, and the cars were parked sufficiently far enough for the ambient noise to be less than that at any theatre.
handsofsteel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wouldn't mind going for a movie or two at a drive-in cinema, just for the experience and because we are car guys.
I still have a faint memory from childhood, used to be one in Bombay. We rented a Taxi, and there was some Amitabh Bachan movie. If I remember correctly, Speaker was fixed on a Post. Good old days,..
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't mind going for a movie or two at a drive-in cinema, just for the experience and because we are car guys. But in today's times of streaming, cheap 55" TVs & Netflix on smartphones, drive-in cinemas are a stone-age concept. I don't think any will survive. Even in drive-in cinema country (USA), they suffered an apocalypse.

Plus, as Indians, we just don't have the civic sense in such a place. I would expect way too much noise from other cars, littering, no proper parking sense etc.

Thanks, but in Covid, I'll just watch my movies at home. Post-Covid, I'll go to my favourite cinema for the superior audio + video experience, comfy seats and tasty food.
You do Indians a lot of disservice. I think given the right infrastructure and the environment around then being conducive to it we are a pretty law abiding group.

On drive in theatres though, must have watched at least 20 movies in the Chennai drive in theatre ( now closed due to covid and didn't reopen yet) and it was always a pleasurable experience.

We went mostly only during Nov - Feb when the humidity was low. Never had any of the disturbances you imagine might take place. Only issue was when the movie ended, 100+ cars leaving via 1 gate...chaos.

Edit - it's a fun and different movie experience. As college kids we would go on double dates... You get the idea. Grown up, is fun lying down on blankets or relaxed chairs in the open and watching a movie. The audio was always crap though but for Tamil masala or Hollywood action, who cares about dialogues.

Last edited by Stribog : 25th November 2020 at 21:20.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 00:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTJ View Post
I imagine this will be a good place for young birds
I have never been in a drive-in cinema.One thing I remembered, was a plot from legendary Dillep Bam's autobiography involving a drive-in.Since posting the thing here would be off the limits, leaving a link below.

http://dilipbam.com/autobiography/14...xi-driver.html
maheshm619 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 11:41   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Now here is an idea whose time has come . I would definitely go for a drive-in music event whenever it happens in Mumbai next!

Drive-in cinemas in India-screenshot-20201126-113805.png

BookMyShow Link
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 11:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

There is a drive in movie cinema in Gurgaon that I have been hearing of. Any reviews?

https://in.bookmyshow.com/events/dri...aon/ET00085727
Old 26th November 2020, 21:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
There is a drive in movie cinema in Gurgaon that I have been hearing of. Any reviews?

https://in.bookmyshow.com/events/dri...aon/ET00085727
I have been there twice, set up is ok, screen quality is decent, so is the sound from outside speakers (loud enough not to miss any dialogues, clarity and quality can't be expected though). They also give you wireless headphones to stream audio, alternatively you can use your car ICE to stream music. Thankfully they use Bluetooth instead of FM, hence you can expect better sound quality. Parking space is decent with proper demarkation, however on both visits, it was not even 30% utilised, not sure that the same would be diligently followed when crowded.

They also have some high sitting space behind parking (even had those inflatable pools earlier ). Outside snacks/eatables are not allowed and however you can order the same from there. Though alcohol is not allowed/served, however I spotted atleast 2-3 groups having some in their cars along with smoke. Overall it was an average experience, however I will be slightly skeptical taking my family and kids for the same.
Turbo Head is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 21:23   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Though alcohol is not allowed/served, however I spotted atleast 2-3 groups having some in their cars along with smoke. Overall it was an average experience, however I will be slightly skeptical taking my family and kids for the same.
This was what I feared the most. Thank you for this review, I will avoid this for the time being.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 22:26   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Most Bombay wallahs may not know this but Bombay's first {of what now would be called a} drive in theatre was on the reclaimed land where today stands the iconic Air India building at what is now called Nariman Point. This was the early 1960s. It was quite basic compared to American drive-in's and the lapping of the sea added to the sound effects. You could drive-in on a two-wheeler or a car or walk-in and sit in the open air stands. I recall going there once c.1964 or 1965. I don't recall the movie except there was a lion featuring in it. Nariman Point was being reclaimed then and I guess this was an easy way to earn some revenues at night. The name Nariman Point came later after the architect of the project lost his life. In those days it was referred to as Backbay Reclamation Extension, IIRC.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 26th November 2020 at 22:38.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 06:39   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread. I have been to a Drive In only once that I recall, when I was under 7. Back in the day, there was a Drive In Theatre (called Drive In) at what is now Bandra Kurla Complex (where Maker Maxity is now located if I recall). We had gone to watch a move in my dad’s Landmaster. Don’t remember what the movie was - probably slept through half of it.

We did have a lot of the Open Air movie experience though - there used to be regular shows of movies based on hired projectors in an open air ground in the Housing Colony where I grew up.

Would I go to a Drive In today - perhaps once, foe the experience. But I would much rather watch movies at home or at PVR / Inox once the pandemic ends.
Old 11th December 2020, 17:53   #27
BANNED

I think that Drive in cinemas could be fun as:-

1.Families would enjoy them since they are typically given spots “by the car” and not by the number of people. This means a family of 5 can go to one for much cheaper than at a real theatre. Plus, many drive in theatres are family friendly with playgrounds or wide open spaces to roam about in safely.

2.If you are watching an evening or a night show, it would be a great view to look at the beautiful sunset or the night sky along with the movie.

3. During Covid-19 watching a movie in your own car on a big screen would be much safer than in a crowded normal movie theatre.

4. This concept can help the falling movie theatre industry to gain back their momentum even during the current pandemic.

Last edited by bblost : 11th December 2020 at 17:55. Reason: format fixed. The lines were cut adruptly.
Old 11th December 2020, 18:00   #28
Team-BHP Support

I used to love going to Prathana Drive In back when I lived in Chennai. Maybe the next time I visit home (Adyar), I will take my kids to this place.

Was such a fun time going there and I remember carrying some foldable chairs in the car for a slightly older aunty to sit comfortably.
We would usually pack a lot of snacks as well to eat while watching the movies.
Old 31st January 2021, 20:13   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a drive-in cinema is coming up in Phoenix Palladium, Mumbai from 5-7th Feb. Sound will be played through your car’s audio system! (Don’t know how it will work)

Drive-in cinemas in India-77c5ea83a7364997b8a56096af2c0039.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 21:20   #30
BHPian

There is a new addition in Gurgaon in collaboration with PVR. It started out around a month ago. Watched Wonder-Woman on the second day of their opening up and this was our first time enjoying a movie like this. The audio was broadcasted on a specific FM frequency and the video quality was good.
It was only two of us (costed 1000 bucks) and with the novelty factor, we found it a worthwhile experience.

But I am not sure how it would have turned out if there were 4 people in the car rather than 2. Specifically if rear occupants would have struggled to see the screen.
Also this was winter time so the car was ignition off. If it would have been summer, we would have had to keep the AC on throughout. Which I feel would have been a dampener.

Those interested can look up this link.
https://in.bookmyshow.com/events/won...ard/ET00303075

Last edited by warrioraks : 31st January 2021 at 21:29.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks