Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 09:32   #16

Re: Prefabricated House Options - Light Gauge Steel Frame

Hi. I was in the Welding field for nearly 15 years and here are my thoughts on Pre Engineered Buildings (PEB) and Pre Fab

First is the Indian mentality. We want our buildings to last for a century. Pre Fab is a good option only if you are not looking beyond 15-20 years.

Pre Fab buildings are essentially factory made. So, fit and finish will be superior than brick and mortar construction. For large buildings, Pre Fab system will save a lot of time and money. However, smaller buildings (say less than 3000 sft), you may save about 1-2 months construction time. However, I am not sure if you will save any money, as you will pay quiet a lot for transporting the sections from the factory to your construction site.

PEB's are quiet common in India, thanks to the pioneering efforts by Kirby. Today, most large commercial construction adopt PEB solutions.

Pre Fab is the next logical evolution to PEB and has been around for quite a few decades and is a mature technology. These buildings are not strong or sound dampening like brick & mortar construction (the pictures from US after storms and tornados comes to mind). Also, space between the various walls are a potential source for housing rodents or pests, not to mention the large scale damage caused by any leaking water or sewage lines.

Similarly, any upgrades or repairs are a dicey affair.

My opinion is that if you are building or upgrading a house, brick & mortar is the way to go.

Commercial establishments always have standardised on PEB. Pre Fab as a choice is always available. However, I still do not see any takers.
vmathews is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 21:15   #17
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

So I had a word with the representative from TATA steel regarding their Nestudio and Habinest offerings. This is what I learnt from him.

We give them the plan
|
They give us an itemised estimate, terms of contract and authorized contractor
|
Pay 25% to finalize the work order
|
Work begins on site and the factory
|
TATA’s engineer visits weekly to see quality of work
|
Completion in 2 months

Some points worth noting with respect to TATA’s offerings:
  • Per Sq.-ft rate excludes bathroom finishing items
  • Location of heavy wall mounting items like AC, TV, gyeyser etc. needs to be pre-defined
  • Site grading work is extra
  • Laydown area for material required at site
  • Electrical and Water connection needed (can be managed with gen-set)
  • Nestudio uses sincge PUF panel walls and roof whereas Hbinest has drywall with insulation
  • Good quality brands used for wiring, UPVC plumbing and tiling
  • False ceiling is built with screwed on drywall panels on hanging lattice covered afterwards with plaster
  • Doors, windows and their frames from TATA Pravesh brand o TATA Steel
  • Plumbing and electrical work guaranteed till 1 year
  • Itemised offer can be worked upon if specific requirements need to be added or deleted.

For now the option looks promising. The factor of hassle free and quality assured construction weighin in more than the cost benefit to brick-mortar construction.

Have asked them to coordinate a visit to one of their completed or under construction projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
The contractor said there was nothing to worry about but 2 months later it has become a zoo. Inditially it was pigeons. But after some scaring they left. Then it was rats that came through our roof water harvesting channels. They left too and then came the worst. CIVETS. They set up their shop their and "MARKED THEIR TERRITORY " and Oh my GOD the entire floor reaked of their urine. We had to leave the windows open all the time to allow air circulation to keep our upper floor stink free.
That is a scary experience and not to mention the unbearable living condition. Could you mention a few points from where these gaps and crevices originate so that it can be taken up with the contractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmathews View Post
My opinion is that if you are building or upgrading a house, brick & mortar is the way to go.
We are looking for a place to rent out with a tenure of 10 years or so.
Tgo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 23:25   #18
BHPian

Depending on the location of your land, maybe a pre-fabricated wooden house is a way to go.
There is a company by the name of Woodbarn India Pvt. Ltd. which specializes in these type of structures for commercial as well as personal projects. I have personally seen one of these at a friend's farm in Delhi and is holding up very well. A wooden house has a really nice and different feel to it as compared to a regular house IMO.
Aniket03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 00:37   #19
BHPian

When I was doing some research on structures like these I had come across Cement Boards. One of the better marketed ones are known as Bison Boards. They are made by pressing cement and wood together to form boards. Another item of same type was V Board. Saw some small structures built by a local contractors here in Mandi, Himachal but since I was looking for walls for my animal shed I went with simple GI sheets as they were cheaper and did the job for me.
As for roofs, nearly everyone has sloped metal roofs here in Himachal and what is important is to close them up properly. Ours is 5 years old now and doesn't leak from any where. We still haven't put a false ceiling on the inside yet, but have put a wooden false ceiling on the outside thereby closing the roof. Some places the workers didn't do a good job so there are chances of birds or other rodents taking shelter. Even we had a problem with a variety of civet or a similar creature, but it used to only come at night and sleep on a blanket. We put up a rotating diwali light and removed the blanket and the creature hasn't returned since then. I'll get the outer portions checked and needed repairs will have to be carried out and this time I'll be keeping a close eye. Already know which areas need attention and it is a 2 day job at the most. I want to get insulation put in between before putting up the false ceiling for the inside portion but I am always worried about insulation inviting more rodents and birds etc. Any pointers on best approach for that would be welcome.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 14:10   #20
BHPian

Hi All,

Look like this thread tilts towards traditional brick and mortar construction (‘B&M') for smaller spaces. I would like to get your opinion/ reconfirm my inference that B&M is ideal for the requirement.

We own agricultural property in Konkan and Iam planning for plantation activities there after this December. The objective is long-term benefits; hence a small house is essential to reduce unnecessary costs. Already spent 10k+ each in my last 2 visits lasting 3-4 days in resorts. Though I am not picky for luxury, the resort stay was required for good network as I had to regularly attend office meetings.

My analysis:

1. If I need a 500 sqft house B&M may cost INR 1600 per sq feet to construct, but a 500sqft prefab house may come for 5lacs which results in saving and time (please correct my calculation). What additional costs generally we will incur for prefab? What about ground leveling, septic tank construction/ drainage, etc? My logic says these will be upon landowner.

2. As all are aware, Konkan gets heavy rains from June to mid Sep. Can Prefab handle this?

3. Village in which my land is there is small and yet to see any prefab around. By doing B&M, I may get more involvement with locals and can build rapport. Just thinking.

4. Iam worried about comments about rodents/ animals in prefab. I will be visiting the place only once in 2 months and that too for not more than 4-5 days. The place is connected by Jio/ BSNL now, hence I can work as well during the stay.

5. Anyone has information about such farmhouse prefab in the Konkan area? If yes, are they holding up well? Costs? Any references in Pune/ Mumbai/ Goa?

6. Any other points Iam missing.

Please guide.

Thanks Aravind
Aravindpn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 14:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Have asked them to coordinate a visit to one of their completed or under construction projects.
Did you go ahead with this?
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 14:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravindpn View Post
Hi All,

Look like this thread tilts towards traditional brick and mortar construction (‘B&M') for smaller spaces. I would like to get your opinion/ reconfirm my inference that B&M is ideal for the requirement.
If you do not find Prefab Vendors, try to get a Couple of Freight Containers and arrange your stay.
There are Vendors who supply these Containers for Site Office Use. They should be able to supply in "House Configuration" too and outright purchase, rather than lease.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 14th September 2021 at 14:40.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 16:29   #23
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Did you go ahead with this?
Unfortunately, got caught up with other stuff. Plan for construction on that site did not fall through.

However, I recently stayed in a luxurious serviced apartment in Naldehra (HP). The developer has built 4 storey buildings where each floor has two 2BHK apartments. The 4 storey meant that the base structure was heavy gauge steel beams and it gradually thinned out to prefab steel frame for the upper floors. The floor of each apartment looked to be a slab of concrete. Overall it seemed like a great way to reduce construction cost especially in hilly regions where transporting traditional building material seemed impossible. It also seems favourable when construction identical buildings due to repeatability of the basic structure.

From afar, the buildings cannot be identified as prefab steel structure based ones, but you can instantly make out the differences as soon as someone mentions it. A lot depends on the quality of construction and the materials used. Few noticeable give-aways were:
-Movement felt in the floor when running around.
-Peeling wallpaper from the joints (can be replaced with plaster and paint if you wish).
-Bathroom tiles were some sort of laminate which looked bad if chipped.
-UPVC sliding doors for the balcony had developed bends from where you hold the frame to push/pull.
-Major sore point was the finishing of the exterior of the roof with the walls. This place had a small break in the edge of the sloping roof at certain intervals to place flower pots. Finishing in that area as not good.
-Things like mounting points for heavy items (sinks, railings, geysers, ACs and counter-tops) need to be pre decided as the frame needs to be reinforced in that area.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 16:55   #24
BHPian

Thanks! Was exploring whether this option makes any sense for a vacation home where its not possible to oversee construction.

But that's a lot of valid negatives you have mentioned.
Old 14th September 2021, 17:20   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket03 View Post
There is a company by the name of Woodbarn India Pvt. Ltd. which specializes in these type of structures for commercial as well as personal projects..
From their website, they look to be catering to the higher end clientele - and hence expecting higher cost. Quality will be good, though.
Quote:
The objective is long-term benefits; hence a small house is essential to reduce unnecessary costs.
Aravind, did you consider building with compressed soil blocks - this uses earth/mud from the site to prepare bricks. Advantage of this is - if you need to bring this down after things settle, "disposing" the debris will be easy. This method is used quite widely.

One suggestion - build any such temporary use structure:
1. designed to be used as storage later -OR-
2. not on the spot where your permanent structure will be (in case you build a better/larger house later)

When you say small, how small is small ?

I had also seen some ad's on FB marketplace by sellers who can construct using wood- but you are still looking at a few lakhs.

Last edited by condor : 14th September 2021 at 17:22.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 17:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
We own agricultural property in Konkan and Iam planning for plantation activities there after this December. The objective is long-term benefits; hence a small house is essential to reduce unnecessary costs.
Why don't you explore the possibility of using Laterite blocks which should be cheap in your area. Otherwise +1 for Condor's suggestion on using stabilized mud blocks.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 18:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Why don't you explore the possibility of using Laterite blocks which should be cheap in your area. Otherwise +1 for Condor's suggestion on using stabilized mud blocks.
Well, the B&M will be with laterite itself, but its not very cheap either as we think. Per squarefeet construction quote I received is more or less like of Bangalore itself (1600 per sq ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
From their website, they look to be catering to the higher end clientele - and hence expecting higher cost. Quality will be good, though.
Aravind, did you consider building with compressed soil blocks - this uses earth/mud from the site to prepare bricks. Advantage of this is - if you need to bring this down after things settle, "disposing" the debris will be easy. This method is used quite widely.

When you say small, how small is small ?
Okay, didnt thought about this. Majority of the trips I will be alone, but once in a while my family (wife +5 yr old daughter) will also accompany me. Is this okay from safety angle?

Also, my objective is to have 300 to 500 sq ft. If it's B&M, I will have to settle for 300 sqft as it will be around 5L.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th September 2021 at 06:09. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Old 14th September 2021, 18:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, didnt thought about this. Majority of the trips I will be alone, but once in a while my family (wife +5 yr old daughter) will also accompany me. Is this okay from safety angle?

Also, my objective is to have 300 to 500 sq ft. If it's B&M, I will have to settle for 300 sqft as it will be around 5L.
Wood barn is significantly more expensive than B&M. I have used their services.
Old 14th September 2021, 18:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Wood barn is significantly more expensive than B&M. I have used their services.
Great! It should be really good. How are they holding up?
Old 14th September 2021, 19:06   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great! It should be really good. How are they holding up?
My suggestion is to first lay out your long term plans - you dont have to execute everything per time line. Based on this, you could look at what type of a structure to set up in what sequence.

Regarding family, you could look at using the resorts when they are with you. Of course, this is only till the final structure is in place.

For the above: you could consider:
Build a single room structure that can later serve as parking or storage. This can be in the vicinity of the house you would want to build later. Of course, some modifications will be required. But at least such a structure will get you moving. Working out of a resort while parallelly trying to the farm activities moving will be definitely challenging.

And do remember murphy's law. Applies very well to getting a farm moving from ground up. Anything that can get delayed, Will !

Last edited by condor : 14th September 2021 at 19:08.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks