Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2020, 09:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Keto snacks, meals & restaurants in India (including low-carb stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Sundal - chickpeas or black-channa soaked, boiled, and roasted in seasonings. (I think it's a Tamil Nadu original)

Sprouts - I've only been able to make the green moong dal sprouts. Have tried making sprouts of chickpeas and black-channa, but it never worked. They end up with some fungal growth or something. Have tried it on at least 4 different occasions over the last year trying to adopt learning from online sources. No dice!

Dals / lentils - Quite a few times, if I am hungry in the night these days (dinner) I reach out for a glass of thick dal.
Are chana, sprouts and lentils low on carbs? I thought they were to be avoided in lchf.
zhopudey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 10:51   #17
BHPian

All good with Keto diet, however sharing one incident for the uninitiated like me.
Starting with Keto diet needs to be planned properly and has to be followed with discipline.
One of my friends learnt it the hard way. Below is the account.

So, this friend of mine, must have been in his late thirties then. The reason why he was advised keto diet was to control his sugar. He is diabetic for over a decade now, runs in his family.

This guy had a good routine. Cardio and other light excercise in the morning. Office from 9-6, good 30-40 mins walk post dinner. In short he was fairly active to manage his condition.

One fine day he read about the keto diet and it's benefits. He thought of trying it out and from day one, stopped all the carbs completely.
He could sustain without carbs for around a week post which he collapsed on the office floor right in front of my eyes. He had to be rushed to the hospital. Doctors there informed that the sudden change that he made to his diet lead to this collapse.

Don't have the details of the treatment, however, now he is doing better and though he still is on keto diet, but has made some changes so that a little carb is also supplied to the body.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 24th June 2020 at 11:01.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 11:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
He could sustain without carbs for around a week post which he collapsed on the office floor right in front of my eyes.
It usually takes a period of 5-7 days for a person to enter ketosis depending upon your body and diet. During that period it is always advisable to keep carbs as low as possible (even 0 if possible), he didn't do anything wrong. Faster you deplete your body glycogen levels, faster you enter ketosis. He might have fainted due to eating too little during that period. Till you enter ketosis, it is good to add additional oil in your diet so that you have sufficient energy source available.

On the other hand, Keto is supposed to help Type 2 Diabetics as it keeps blood sugar level stable. Also, one needs to check via Ketostix if he/she is really into ketosis or not. Many people are eating low carb diet and end up calling it keto without knowing the difference between the two. This is all off topic though, as the thread is about keto snacks and options available.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 24th June 2020 at 12:08.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 11:54   #19
BANNED

I recently reduced 27kg by opting for Keto lifestyle. I spent times more than what I usually used to spend on food but even that couldn't make me opt for the fancy choice of foods which are grossly overpriced. I followed omlette/boiled egg/peanuts with occasional chicken/mutton/beef days thrown in. The omlette proved to be the best for weight reduction.

I currently opt for boiled eggs with one dosa/idli/chappati per meal twice a day in my recently renewed struggle to dislodge the final 10kgs.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 15:04   #20
BHPian

The lockdown made me sit at home and I saw the opportunity to try the keto lifestyle since it has been all the rage recently. I have been meaning to do this for a while but irregular work and travel schedules made it really tough to start. Now that we were pretty much stuck at home, I decided to take the plunge into keto and I started in mid April. Initially, it was really tough as nothing was available due to the lockdown. Hence I survived on basic egg and chicken recipes. But then slowly it got better and I discovered Urban Platter, which sells almost all the essentials that one might need for the Keto lifestyle. It took care of all the condiments one would need, the special flours, sweeteners etc. Since I like cooking and food delivery was and still is a risk, I have been cooking all the meals myself and its been a blast. I discovered another site called ketofy.in, which has a good range of keto snacks and other items such as keto roti flour, keto chocolates, keto cookies etc.

Its been 2 months and I have lost almost 12 kgs. On top of that, I feel more energetic everyday and have lost inches like crazy. Once I started seeing positive results, 3 people in my circle have been consulting with me on a regular basis on the keto dos and donts. I think I will be ready to start a side business soon

Now that I have adopted this lifestyle wholeheartedly, I think I will continue the High Fat Low Carb regimen post 3 months of keto. And once normal work routine resumes, I do plan to take a meal subscription from the likes of food darzee or something else that I might come across.
SHANKY11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 22:58   #21
BHPian

It's been more than 6 months since I switched to the low carb high fat lifestyle. I started this not to lose weight but to bring my vitals in order as recommended by my Doctor who is also a lipidologist. There was one advice from him which I am glad I took it. To avoid the artificial sweeteners - especially stevia. It is hard thing to do but seems like it is the right thing to do.

Since chocolates were mentioned in the post, I have a piece of advice - start with 85% and push your way up to 95% cacao. Although it will take a bit of time to get used to but trust me it is worth it. Once you have started appreciating the flavor of cacao, you can try 100% as well. LINDT is very passionate about their chocolates and they have included instructions to how to enjoy their chocolates.

Keto snacks, meals & restaurants in India (including low-carb stuff)-img_0128.jpg

But if you must include a sweetener, you can use monk fruit extract that has the least side effects among the sweeteners in market. (Stevia is known to induce craving for sugar). It comes in all forms.

As sweetener itself so you can add it to any dish.
Keto snacks, meals & restaurants in India (including low-carb stuff)-img_0129.jpg

Chocolates that use monk fruit extract instead of stevia.
Keto snacks, meals & restaurants in India (including low-carb stuff)-img_0130.jpg

Look at the ingredients.
Keto snacks, meals & restaurants in India (including low-carb stuff)-img_0131.jpg

Low carb is a lifestyle change. I have made it part of my life and I am not going to turn away from it.
Pontiac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 23:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Are chana, sprouts and lentils low on carbs? I thought they were to be avoided in lchf.
There is a little bit of subjectivity in defining low-carbs.

From WebMD -
Quote:
According to Institute of Medicine, the organization that sets the recommended daily intake of nutrients, adults and children over the age of 1 should eat 130 grams of carbs a day.
And another source -
Quote:
Once you go below 50 grams of carbs a day, most studies classify that as a Very Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet (VLCKD).

150gm....This is also roughly the maximum carb intake that real life low-carbers would consider “low-carb”
Garbanzo appears to be listed as 45gm carbs per 100gm (not counting dietary fiber). The toor-dal also appears to be in that ballpark.

Last edited by Miyata : 24th June 2020 at 23:29.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 23:47   #23
BANNED

Sorry if it's off-thread but for me Keto makes sense only as a physiological aid in disease management (epilepsy, diabetes, morbid obesity) & definitely not as a long term lifestyle choice. LCHF though can be 'worked out' with.

The sheer amount of nutrients, antioxidants & other "factors" (many yet unknown) one misses on the keto diet (due to limiting the diversity of food sources eg. fruits) is not worth flatlining insulin levels which can be managed to a comparable degree through other dietary approaches like IF, OMAD, Water Fasting etc

I too, was fascinated by Keto when I first heard about it, but later I realized I bought too much into it like the 1g/lb. protein myth for resistance training. By empirical & personal experience I concluded that it's best to err on the side of naturopathic (eg. ayurvedic) remedies & recommendations than drug based interventions & fad diets.
watchoutankit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 13:13   #24

Goodness, I didn't know so many keto-friendly products existed in India!

I had started the keto diet, with intermittent fasting, in September 2019 @103 KG. Read on the internet and went ahead without consulting a nutritionist (big mistake).
Due to my work hours, I preferred skipping breakfast as my workout would be in the evening. Workout regime was 3 days crossfit, 3 days weight lifting, on alternate days. Non-vegetarian food isn't allowed at home so my options were limited - paneer, mushrooms, tofu, soya chunks etc. I would try different combinations of dishes everyday, luckily mom came to the rescue
2 months, and I came down to 89.5 KG. It might not seem like a lot, but I had gained a lot of muscle mass which made me fitter overall.

I ended up having a Vitamin B12 & D3 deficiency, which is a story for later. Thankfully it didn't have any adverse effects like dizziness or unconsciousness.

Will definitely use the tons of products mentioned in this thread, as I was completely unaware of them earlier.

The lockdown has resulted in me gaining 5 kilos, time for keto again!
amoghk98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 13:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

We've ordered from Easy Human Cafe in Cuffe Parade, Mumbai.
https://easyhuman.com/

They have some healthy combinations that sound and taste brilliant!
Would recommend checking it out - and if nothing else, it could give some ideas on what you can try whipping up at home.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 22:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Sundal - chickpeas or black-channa soaked, boiled, and roasted in seasonings. (I think it's a Tamil Nadu original)
Absolutely right - "Sundal" as we call it here in Tamilnadu. Its a traditional dish that's been around for ages. Easy to prepare and you would love it. You could just keep tweaking the garnish to suit your taste.

It can be prepared from Double beans, White peas, Black-eyed peas, Black Channa, White Channa, Rajma, Bengal Gram Dal, Peanuts, Lima Beans (Butter Beans)..
rubicon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 21:27   #27
BHPian

Isn't all this processed food bad for the human body? Carbs are required for the body to function and are essential for brain functioning too. We're 90% vegan for the last 3 months and it seems to be doing wonders. We also try and ensure we eat as much organic as possible and make our own almond milk (easiest thing in the world). Also we bake quinoa, buckwheat, oats, chia bread. Tastes really good and has 0 chemicals. Game changers on netflix was a real game changer!
Old 27th June 2020, 18:37   #28
BHPian

I am 33 years old and weigh 106 kilos, needless to say that I urgently need to make a change to my eating lifestyle. Thanks to the dedicated weight loss thread, I am going to commence my keto diet starting tomorrow. I searched through the internet and asked around a few friends to help with veg options to eat and recipes.

Sharing a few vegetarian, paneer and egg recipes that can be included as part of the low carb high-fat diet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vegetarian Options .pdf (2.76 MB, 247 views)
File Type: pdf Keto.India_PaneerRecipes.pdf (1.47 MB, 233 views)
File Type: pdf Keto.india_EggRecipes.pdf (1.86 MB, 253 views)
File Type: pdf Keto.India Breakfast Recipes.pdf (4.29 MB, 656 views)
Striker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 10:01   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANKY11 View Post
I discovered another site called ketofy.in, which has a good range of keto snacks and other items such as keto roti flour, keto chocolates, keto cookies etc.
My goodness, what a find! Thank you so much . Ketofy is awesome. I'm adding it to the opening post and my sister went ahead to place a big order with them.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 12:00   #30
BHPian

Since I didn't find its mention here and for me and my brother it has been a go to while dieting the last 3 months, the food is a delight.
It's called FEEL MIGHTY, they have a good range of low carb, high protein brownies and cookies, although not cheap, it isn't exactly unaffordable and these guys run a subscription model too that ends up being cheaper.
Attaching the link for reference, it's also available on Amazon.
https://www.feelmighty.com/
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks