Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2024, 18:00   #7336
BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGalaxy View Post

I was always thinking Prime members get priority delivery and price advantage. Anyone else noticing such difference ?
The seller in both cases is different and that's what determines the price and shipping I would imagine. But a prime delivery taking 9 days is rare these days.
Old 11th October 2024, 18:09   #7337

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Ah, Thank you @akshaymahajan. Didnt notice the seller there. Will keep an eye for price changes across sellers.

Delivery schedule to Blr usually used to be a day or 2 max. May be due to festival season!
Old 13th October 2024, 15:18   #7338
Senior - BHPian

This time I made a proper list of the items I wanted to buy and the prices a week before the sale started.

About 20% of the prices increased after the sale started.
Remaining 80% of the items were the same price or literally single digit Rs cheaper.

No doubt there are a few items which have good deals (mostly electronics) but by and large the sales are pointless.

Anyone else notice that nowadays the MRP on the box of everything except FMCG stuff is hugely inflated ?
Like a basic TV that sells for 20k will have a sticker price of 55k when there is zero possibility of it being sold for that much ? It seems to be a practice to enable e-commerce websites to "genuinely" have the tag of " - X% from MRP". I have also seen stuff selling at MRP claiming that they are discounted from MRP
Mortis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2024, 18:58   #7339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Anyone else notice that nowadays the MRP on the box of everything except FMCG stuff is hugely inflated ?
Like a basic TV that sells for 20k will have a sticker price of 55k when there is zero possibility of it being sold for that much ?
Yep. I really wish that sellers could just be honest and open about pricing. Doesn't look like there is any chance of that happening, or of any such laws being enforced. Amazon will quote their price as reduced from MRP: the manufacturers themselves will be selling at the same price as Amazon. MRP has become a joke.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2024, 20:39   #7340
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ These inflated MRPs give sellers a lot of room to play with the margin. Also, it is a ploy to test the depth of water by manufacturers that if their stuff will be accepted and at which price point. Slowly the discount part and can be tapered off and the product can be sold at much higher prices. Even in some FMCG products, higher mark up is becoming a norm and finally being sold at some discount.

Last edited by saket77 : 13th October 2024 at 20:40.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2024, 20:47   #7341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yep. I really wish that sellers could just be honest and open about pricing.....MRP has become a joke.
Maybe that's not what the public wants. Remember the JC Penny sales experiment?

Quote:
In early 2012, Johnson announced a major overhaul of the way JC Penney does business, with a new “fair and square” everyday low pricing scheme to replace the “fake prices” used commonly in the past. The idea sounded great—in theory. Didn’t everyone hate those “fake prices,” which were inflated only so that the inevitable discounts would seem tempting? Well, no. Johnson thought it made sense to cut to the chase by listing realistic prices from the get-go and foregoing nonstop sales. It does make logical sense, after all. But shoppers aren’t purely logical creatures. They’re often drawn to stores not by the promise of fair pricing, but by the lure of hunting for deals via coupons and price markdowns. It’s all a game, and a contrived one at that. But it’s a game that shoppers are accustomed to playing, and that many — consciously or not — like playing, with the “How Much You Saved” line at the bottom of the receipt serving as a score.
It didn’t take long for people to note that Johnson’s no-coupons, no-sales experiment was failing to attract shoppers. Sales collapsed through early 2012, and by the summer, even Johnson acknowledged the stores had made a big mistake.
Source: https://business.time.com/2013/04/09...-at-jc-penney/
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2024, 22:05   #7342
Senior - BHPian

This might be true for stuff that has a somewhat intangible value, like clothes. The same shirt could be sold for 1000 in one shop and 2000 in another shop.

One could believe that an iPhone has an MRP of 2 lakhs and is being sold at a discounted price of 1.4 Lakhs. But the ridiculous thing is that they expect us to believe that some Lava feature phone being sold for 10k had an MRP of 70K and so on. It's the disparity between the category price vs the sticker price that I just find really silly and unnecessary
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2024, 23:35   #7343
Distinguished - BHPian

I was on a visit to England. I commented to a shop assistant that the sale price on something was the same as it had been on my last visit. She said, ahem, no. There are laws and we would not be allowed to do that.

I had forgotten! I lived my first fifty years there, and had completely forgotten this essential consumer law, and the fact that it does sometimes get enforced. The item must have been on sale at the "reduced from price, in that store, for something like six previous months.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2024, 10:51   #7344
BHPian

I recently purchase a vacuum cleaner from eurekha forbes on amazon on its big sale. Guess what the box gets delivered without the accessories and i am unable to use it for the core function that I needed it for.

Using the customer support has been a joke where in they need to do an investigation and need me the consumer who has paid money for a incomplete item to call back and check on what is the status of my complaint.

Overall an experience i would like not to have again. Better to pay 500 more and buy from brick and mortar store where atleast you can check everything physically and be sure of where your putting your money.

Amazon if your reading this, you need to stop acting like flipkart!
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2024, 11:17   #7345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I recently purchase a vacuum cleaner from eurekha forbes on amazon on its big sale. Guess what the box gets delivered without the accessories and i am unable to use it for the core function that I needed it for.!
My experience with Amazon might help, do give it a try. We bought an expensive robot vacuum cleaner which turned out to be doing a sub standard job - bumping into walls, falling off steps, throwing tantrums for no reason and doing everything but clean the house.

We marked the item to be returned under the grounds "item not described" well before the return/replace date expires. We emailed a video of the malfunction to Amazon and asked to speak with a supervisor every 3rd day. Things finally turned 30-40 days later when my wife attempted with strong words via chat and threatened to sue. Amazon picked up the item the very next day and refunded as well.

Moral of the story - Let your wife have the 1st go, you get involved a little later
vinu_h is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2024, 11:21   #7346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGalaxy View Post
Amazon Mobile App :

Logged in with Prime account
Cost Rs.512

Amazon Web App :

Logged in with regular account ( Not Prime )
Cost Rs.468
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
The seller in both cases is different and that's what determines the price and shipping I would imagine. But a prime delivery taking 9 days is rare these days.
The seller doesn't necessarily have to be different for such price differentials! As I had reported earlier somewhere, there could apparently be a 'Prime' premium one needs to pay sometimes (presumably in order to recover part of the cost of extending Prime benefits)!

Also, large-city prices could be less than the corresponding small-town prices for the same items sold by Amazon themselves.

And 'Prime' shipping to small towns could sometimes run into weeks, -- irrespective of the season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I had forgotten! I lived my first fifty years there, and had completely forgotten this essential consumer law, and the fact that it does sometimes get enforced. The item must have been on sale at the "reduced from price, in that store, for something like six previous months.
In US too, there are laws that require that an item must have actually been sold previously at the advertised 'list price' that sale prices are based on.

In contrast, Indian consumer protection laws (if there are any) and their enforcement are indeed a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Amazon if your reading this, you need to stop acting like flipkart!
It's a myth that Amazon are much better than Flipkart always. In some respects they are indeed better, -- in some others, decidedly inferior. One just needs to be aware of things, and make informed purchases.

Last edited by meerkat : 15th October 2024 at 11:23.
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2024, 11:52   #7347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Also, large-city prices could be less than the corresponding small-town prices for the same items sold by Amazon themselves.
Very true. A packet of Surf Excel liquid ordered from Amazon fresh and delivered by the nearby More supermarket cost me Rs. 100 more in Kerala when compared to Bangalore. I accidentally noticed it because I had the wrong delivery address selected.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks