Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2024, 09:13   #7261
BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:

Government plans to make anti-fake review rules mandatory for e-commerce firms

The government is considering to make it mandatory for e-commerce companies to comply with quality norms for consumer reviews after a voluntary push failed to effectively curb fake reviews, a top official said on Monday.

The government issued the new quality norms for e-tailers a year ago, prohibiting them from publishing paid reviews and demanding disclosure of such promotional content.

But fake reviews of products and services on e-commerce platforms are still slipping through, said Nidhi Khare, Secretary at the Consumer Affairs Ministry.

"It's been more than one year that the voluntary standard on 'online reviews' was notified. Some entities claim that they are complying with it. However, fake reviews are still getting published," Khare told PTI.

"To safeguard the consumer interest, now we want to make these standards mandatory," she said, adding that the ministry has scheduled a meeting with e-commerce firms and consumer organisations on May 15 to discuss the proposed move.

Source : https://www.telegraphindia.com/busin...ms/cid/2019555

... Will it work this time?!
Old 17th July 2024, 18:17   #7262
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is there a megathread where we can discuss about the recurring/upcoming amazon/flipkart seasonal sales ?
Old 18th July 2024, 08:49   #7263
BHPian

Is anyone aware why is kindle not available on amazon since past 5-6 months. Its available on their US store though. Are they going to phase it out in India? Any other good option for ereaders? Amazon is allowing Kindle competetor Kobo to be sold on their platform.
Old 21st July 2024, 10:53   #7264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Is anyone aware why is kindle not available on amazon since past 5-6 months. Its available on their US store though. Are they going to phase it out in India? Any other good option for ereaders? Amazon is allowing Kindle competetor Kobo to be sold on their platform.
If a majority of your library constitutes of kindle books, avoid other vendors.
However, if you have a good collection of PDFs then alternates may be something to explore (Kindle's pdf handling is shoddy, navigation is a pain)

I had a boox afterglow whose touch screen gave up after ~5-6 years of use. This was a android device and the app store allowed kindle app to be installed, the experience with kindle was not very smooth (ex: the page next button did not work in the kindle app), the app performance was sluggish, but entirely bearable if the collection is predominantly text based.
That said with PDFs the device was outstanding, the reading and browsing experience was extremely good.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 11:27   #7265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Paperwhite? It's there on reliance digital.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 16:03   #7266
BHPian

Quote:
Can also read kindle books online on their website also -
https://read.amazon.in/kindle-library

With this option available I have even stopped using my kindle device nowadays.
Old 22nd July 2024, 02:01   #7267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
I had a boox afterglow with PDFs the device was outstanding, the reading and browsing experience was extremely good.
What is the screen size of your boox? If you can, please share the model#.

I am in the market for a budget PDF reader.
Old 22nd July 2024, 10:13   #7268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What is the screen size of your boox? If you can, please share the model#.

I am in the market for a budget PDF reader.
The device I had was a Boox Afterglow 2, it came with a 6inch screen. I bought it in 2015/16.
I don't recollect the exact price, but IIRC this was slightly more expensive than a kindle paperlight.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 06:43   #7269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
The device I had was a Boox Afterglow 2, it came with a 6inch screen. I bought it in 2015/16.
I don't recollect the exact price, but IIRC this was slightly more expensive than a kindle paperlight.
Doesn't PDF need more than 10" display to provide a better experience?
Is it easier to pinch and zoom on Boox device?
Old 23rd July 2024, 09:48   #7270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Doesn't PDF need more than 10" display to provide a better experience?
Is it easier to pinch and zoom on Boox device?
I think it depends on what is rendered in the PDF. For literature, I found the boox adequate for text based PDFs.
The touch screen is not as sensitive as in a mobile, so zoom was not always fluid.
At time of my purchase, I was in 2 minds on being locked into the kindle ecosystem and was evaluating different options - Barns & Nobel, Pdf books etc. And what I figured out was that the most convenient and economical reading ecosystem is the kindle.
Old 23rd July 2024, 09:53   #7271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Paperwhite? It's there on reliance digital.
I was looking to get a Kindle paperwhite few months back. Noticed reliance digital showing it on their webpage.

It seems like that is just an old listing, there are no stocks with them, atleast in Bangalore. You can't order from the website listing as well.
TheRandomGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 18:01   #7272
BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread - Amazon Pay Balance can no longer be used for partial payments

Amazon pay wallet use to have nice convenient feature where in you could utilize entire wallet amount against any order, even when wallet amount is less than order amount. If order amount is greater than wallet amount, then you will prompt for other payment mode for difference amount. This used to be such convenient where you could simply consume whole amount. This could be also combined for various offers against each order during sale period (combining with CC and Amazon pay). I have amazon pay ICICI credit card where each month point converted to wallet amount, which could be utilized for first order of the month.

Now that this partial payment is removed, thus you can only use one payment method per order. This meant if you want to utilize the amount in wallet, then you need have at least order value in wallet. This is means you might need to load wallet (before placing the order), which was not required earlier. You also need to know that loading the wallet via CC will have additional charges.

Just want let you guys know these changes (apparently happened two months back, I am only noticing now).
RaguHolla is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 06:56   #7273
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I noticed the same a couple of months back and was disappointed, it was something I liked about Amazon Pay, but anyways Amazon pay also used to have an option where you could withdraw the money you loaded to the wallet, I guess that's still available.
Old 1st August 2024, 15:45   #7274
BHPian

I rarely order food online. I prefer to go to the restaurant and do a take-away. It's a chance to walk a bit, and also keeps me away from temptations. While waiting for the food to be prepared, I occasionally check the prices of the same items on Swiggy or Zomato.

Today's takeaway order from a 'cloud kitchen' (they do only takeaways and online orders) 1 km from my house:

The Online Shopping Thread-20240801_131912.jpg

And Swiggy's bill for the same items:

The Online Shopping Thread-screenshot_20240801_131657_edge.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-screenshot_20240801_131711_edge.jpg

Since my house is > 0.3 kms, I am sure they would have increased the delivery charge once I had logged in and given my address.

This post is for information only and not to trigger a "cost vs convenience" debate. I have the time and inclination to do take-aways, hence I do it.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2024 at 20:19. Reason: Images edited as per request
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 16:18   #7275
Distinguished - BHPian

I too have noted that there was a good difference in the prices displayed in Swiggy app & the actual restaurant menu. I guess this is where the discount coupons come from. Just for feel good.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed