Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2020, 20:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Are 10th exams necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
In its current format most of the exams work for those who can ace an exam, I do not think that is an indication of a student`s ability to apply what they have learned in life afterwards.

The ones who are able to apply in real life what they have learned (not necessarily from books or school), nothing can stop them. They are going to be successful no matter what you throw at them.
A quick question. If you had a mechanic who graduated with a diploma from a good ITI, vs someone who never went to school and learnt it all from his or her "Ustaad", who would you choose to give your car for repairs to?

Formal education and exams have produced almost all of the brightest teachers, doctors, engineers, nurses etc. It is a test of knowledge and skills. You really think that a person who is honestly doing his or her biology, chemistry and physics practical experiments at school is not well versed in "real life" skills? These kids will deal with transformers, cadavers and acids in the first semester of college! I hear this refrain about "practical skills" being more important than "academic skills" all the time in India, and it is sad. Either parents have no idea about the efforts the teachers invest in making sure that students learn what they are doing. Or, and this is more likely, schools compromise on the board directives and give free marks to all or bribe examiners in some state boards.

To all who think I am lying, just recall, what was the highest percentage in your board exams when you were kids (prior to the 2000s)? And compare it to the cutoffs today?

Today, it is almost a given that the school will give full marks in internal assessments, so it defeats the purpose of an exam.

Almost every country is taking steps to make exams more rigorous, because the world is getting far more competitive. Yes, if you study arts you don't need to score 80% in maths in class 10. But you need to score more than that in 12th. And beyond.

This exam bashing has led to ridiculous compromises in the education system. Internal exams in India don't work because most schools force reachers to write fake marks on their answer scripts. I don't know why this has not been exposed, probably it is a matter of national security because India's students will be discriminated against abroad, but ask any family member who is a teacher. He or She will lay bare the farce of internal exams and "stress free" board exams.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 9th April 2020 at 20:36.
Old 22nd May 2020, 14:14   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The ICSE class 10 schedule for remaining exams has just been announced, starts on July 2 2020
We as parents were a worried lot till we heard about this a few minutes ago.
During the lockdown, many parents decided to get their children enrolled for "integrated" pre-university courses at Deeksha, Allen, etc while we managed to resist the peer pressure and stay calm not doing anything like that in a haste, hope we did the right thing.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd May 2020 at 14:18.
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Perhaps a more pertinent question would be 'Is quota necessary?'
This is dangerous and discriminatory. If you sort by 'IQ', which many scientists have debunked as a measure of any future greatness, you risk narrowing the talent pool to those who have a genetic advantage. You also remove the chance of anyone who has hustle and grit making it in life. Regarding reservations, they are in place to ensure people who are continually disadvantaged over generations, have a chance to compete. While they are still necessary, I think they would be better if withdrawn from what is now referred to as the 'creamy layer'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
You see, unlike the urban elite, individuals from a lower economic strata are NOT guaranteed to go into college.

Plus, keeping class X exams in place allows a lot of people to consider options like polytechnics / trade schools.
And this is the basic problem with us, which you have encapsulated beautifully. We should guarantee university level education to everyone in our country, regardless of ability or affordability. With highly subsidised rates, we have certainly put things in place. Unfortunately, our primary education system has failed us as a nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Would you like to get treated or operated upon by someone who passed his exams or failed his exams?
Most of India buying phones from a guy who didn't pass high school. Everyone buying an Ecosport is unlikely to crash because Henry Ford never graduated high school. I would not like to have a schoolteacher who didn't pass school, but to draw a parallel from 10th standard exams to doctors is a bit rich.

Let us not confuse the need to have professional certification - absolutely essential - with the need to have multiple board exams. Many countries that do exceptionally well, both academically and economically, have a single college entrance exam that is critical, without needing multiple board exams. Each of these countries also has professional certifications.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd May 2020 at 18:09. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 24th May 2020, 05:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
We as parents were a worried lot till we heard about this a few minutes ago.
During the lockdown, many parents decided to get their children enrolled for "integrated" pre-university courses at Deeksha, Allen, etc while we managed to resist the peer pressure and stay calm not doing anything like that in a haste, hope we did the right thing.
The integrated approach did not work out for me.

What would have helped is parental intervention. Consistently so.

Along with ensuring that the fundamentals are strong.
FINTAIL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 23:09   #20
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The ICSE class 10 schedule for remaining exams has just been announced, starts on July 2 2020
After a whirlwind few months of uncertainty and anxiety caused by the Covid situation, the remaining exams were cancelled after court cases were filed questioning the need to conduct examinations in these times. The ICSE board came up with the formula that they will be using to determine the marks for the remaining exams and this was announced few days ago.

And finally, the ICSE Class X and ISC Class XII results are to be announced tomorrow (10 July 2020) at 3pm.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 20:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

The pain and anguish that the 10th std students would be going through right now, only they would know and their parents to an extent.

When I did my 10th, it felt like it was the most important event in life. Looking back, the only use the 10th certificate has ever served in all instances is for date of birth proof. Nobody has ever cared for any other data in the marks sheet.

The other pain point being cases of 10th kids who did not score these meaningless marks to pass these exams commiting suicide.

There can be a graded evaluation lasting the whole year with an eventual passing of all these kids. These end exams and the marks acquired by method of rot/byhearting and regurgitating it out in the exam are really meaningless in today's context.

What students will loose the most due to Covid is the valuable life skills from mutual interaction and learnings by being together in class.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th July 2020 at 20:57.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 17:44   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Results for 2020 class X ICSE and CBSE have now been declared in the past few days.
Most CBSE schools completed their admissions based on preliminary/pre-board exam results (that's their official line at least) or basis an entrance test at some schools.
ISC (ICSE's class XI and XII) schools waited a little longer and closed admission quickly once results were announced.
The last (understandably) are the junior colleges offering PUC courses and they're in the process of completing the admission formalities for children from ICSE and CBSE. The majority of these admissions will be after SSLC results are declared (expected Aug 15)

In between this, all the tutorials (Allen, Deeksha, Aakash etc) made a killing this year and encashed on the ambiguity and delay in class X results. Many of these institutions have tied up with smaller CBSE schools and PUC colleges and started online coaching almost 2 months ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
When I did my 10th, it felt like it was the most important event in life. Looking back, the only use the 10th certificate has ever served in all instances is for date of birth proof. Nobody has ever cared for any other data in the marks sheet.
My daughter wanted to pursue PUC at one of two old time colleges and we decided to just wait it out. She was expecting about 90% aggregate and ended up scoring much more.

Thanks to her score, admission process has been simple and easy and she got to choose what branch combination she wanted.

What I'm trying to say is that if one wants to join a specific college/course the marks matter very much especially if in the general merit category even if it's just class XI/First year PUC.

Agree with what you say about rote learning, marks, exams etc but in today's situation there is no way out (for those trying in general merit category).

Last edited by NPV : 17th July 2020 at 17:49.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 19:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoker View Post
Class 10 board exams are important for those pursuing undergrad in colleges in US
Forget colleges in US, Most MBA colleges in India also grade students based on 10th and 12th marks. See this table below I copied from IIM A website. For final selection, aspirants percentage score in 10th, 12th, graduation are considered.

scores give for percentage score in 10th.
<= 55 - 1
> 55 and <= 60 - 2
> 60 and <= 70 - 3
> 70 and <= 80 - 5
> 80 and <= 90 - 8
> 90 - 10
more details here: https://www.iima.ac.in/web/pgp/apply...ection-process

Not only IIM A or IIMs, most of the MBA colleges follow the same pattern.
This reality stuck me hard when I was applying for MBA colleges , before this I never realized importance of those marks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks