Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2020, 09:52   #691
Team-BHP Support

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
the stock markets are in their own seventh heaven and not connected with reality. I sense a massive correction coming for the stock markets, globally.
Correction for what? Stock markets got disconnected from economy once financialization happened, and it has never gone back except for some blip followed by V recovery. FAANG are only getting richer and richer during pandemic, and that is enough for stock market to stay high. It looks like V recovery is now reserved for stock market alone, and not for actual economy.

Check the recent discussion here.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 10:05   #692
BHPian

As i write this mail, Sensex UP 0.16%, Nifty UP 0.18%.

Where is @Smartcat when you need gyan?.

Us , illiterates , who can think but not understand need your consul, O! great one.
Old 1st September 2020, 10:12   #693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post

Us , illiterates , who can think but not understand need your consul, O! great one.
Go the stock market thread. Why ask unrelated questions in economics thread?
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 10:34   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Auto Segment, at the backdrop of the coming festive season shows a positive trend in dispatches from the leader in August- Maruti Suzuki.

Maruti Suzuki India, the passenger vehicle market leader, has reported strong sales of 113,033 units, up 21.3% year on year (August 2019: 93,173). All its vehicle segments, other than the Ciaz premium sedan, have notched smart increases.

As the virus continues to be a threat, the entry level segment shows a 94.7% growth (Y-OY) indicating the fact that demand has returned to that segment.

Quote:
This performance, even as the country’s economy recorded its steepest decline (GDP down 23.9% in April-June 2020 as compared to 3.1% growth a year ago), is a laudable one. Also, with the festive season not too far away and the rural markets back in the reckoning, expect Maruti Suzuki, which has moved on to fully petrol power, to maintain a good sales momentum in the rest of the fiscal.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st September 2020 at 10:48.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 18:57   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As i write this mail, Sensex UP 0.16%, Nifty UP 0.18%.

This is so because Rs 41,000 crores of FII investments poured into the stock market in August alone. Also the GDP drop had already been factored in by the market by June. The figures quoted are not movements just daily variations.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 19:04   #696
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As i write this mail, Sensex UP 0.16%, Nifty UP 0.18%. Where is @Smartcat when you need gyan?.
Link between current state of economy and current state of stock market explained here in post No. 618 to 627
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4869586 (Understanding Economics)
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 19:26   #697
Senior - BHPian

What I find interesting is that till now earnings has very closely tracked GDP contraction. (-22% to -23%). Usually it stays like 2 points ahead.

Most of the big guys have announced so this needle will not move much.

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-us.jpg
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 21:18   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Clearly this chump inhabits a parallel universe. V-shaped recovery?? Need to check what he is smoking. The best part about economic reality is that you cannot talk your way out of it nor can you fool the housewife (aka voter) for they feel the sharp end long before the economic advisors of cuckooland. Pasting here a graph released today which I have also posted on another economics thread.
I have got many message that this Infographic is wrong, a simple google search shows that US economy has contracted more than 33% in comparable quarter.

While the moot point is still valid but data representation in this infographic is mischievous.

Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 21:22   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsynch View Post
I have got many message that this Infographic is wrong, a simple google search shows that US economy has contracted more than 33% in comparable quarter.

While the moot point is still valid but data representation in this infographic is mischievous.

Thanks
You may want to read the latter posts in the thread "Understanding Economics" to correct your misunderstanding. Thanks.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 22:23   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You may want to read the latter posts in the thread "Understanding Economics" to correct your misunderstanding. Thanks.
Now that was not even dry humour Sir
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 23:37   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Now that was not even dry humour Sir
There are two ways to approach this.
The first is to think 'WhatsApp U alumnae. Not worth/ futile spending time on'. Deal politely, but where ones condescension and irritation show through. Result he will go back to his walled garden (maybe even taking potshots at us). And we would have lost an opportunity to get an alternate (true!) message across.

Or second take it as a person who is genuinely misinformed, but can be made to change his mind if facts are placed before him. And perhaps he will take the message back to his walled garden. I agree the chances of this happening are very slim, but that does not mean we should not make at least the one/ initial attempt.

Treat the fact that somebody has reached across from an (very likely) echo chamber as an opportunity. Don't close it by treating it as an irritation, at least initially. Afterall the experts here have managed to convince at least one other person, who was otherwise convinced he had all the facts, and that VNs infographic was fake propoganda.

(And yes, my bias shows through also)

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 20:21   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsynch View Post
Thanks
The number isn't wrong, the comparison is.

If you are having doubts on the numbers of USA please read this article, https://vivekkaul.com/2020/09/01/the...acted-by-23-9/ I've found the author's articles balanced.

If you have doubts on how India's numbers were arrived at, the below link would help

Source https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...-math-6578046/

Attributing mischievousness without checking on facts is also being naughty :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-untitled.jpg  

Old 6th September 2020, 22:12   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
The number isn't wrong, the comparison is.

Attributing mischievousness without checking on facts is also being naughty :-)

It wasn't my intention to attribute this mischief to the writer, it was brought to my knowledge through various forwards and few articles that data comparison wasn't done accurately in the said infographics.

Look at this headline and you would read that US was contracted by 33%

https://www.businessinsider.in/stock...w/77263998.cms

Having clarified that, I am not a student of economics and was merely pointing out this anomaly, and I was given some sound piece of knowledge who understand economics much better than I do so graciously accepted their POV.

I felt it is important to articulate my position here hence this reply. Peace out!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th September 2020 at 23:23. Reason: Typos
Gsynch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 23:10   #704
BHPian

Does anyone find it surprising that the Chinese have managed to grow while the rest of the world is down with a recession?

No conspiracy theories here, but it is surprising. Almost seems like they engineered this crisis to destroy the developing countries so as to pick up cheap assets and inundate these places with debt. How can it be that even remote Amazonian villages are infected but the communist lands have controlled the pandemic?

I won't be buying a Chinese brand like MG or Huawei even if it decides my life, in this life. I hope all Indians do the same.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th September 2020 at 23:22. Reason: Typo.
Cessna182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 23:37   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Does anyone find it surprising that the Chinese have managed to grow while the rest of the world is down with a recession?
In China, the origin of the virus was from a single source, which is Wuhan. Once the single source was cut-off the spread was contained. Those who visited Wuhan were quarantined until the cases came down. In Wuhan, there was strict lock-down/quarantine with houses sealed with yellow tape. All supplies were delivered at the gate and the residents dared not break the tape.
Chinese Govt tracks all its citizens and it was easy to find who visited where. Though there is a question on the total cases, total deaths number reported by Chinese Govt, the virus is under control since offices are open, Disneyland is open, movie theatres have started opening.

In other countries, the virus entered via multiple points (all International airports), which were plugged late and then later the countries couldn't track effectively.
Quote:
No conspiracy theories here, but it is surprising. Almost seems like they engineered this crisis tl destroy the developing countries so as to pick up cheap assets and inundate these places with debt. How can it be that even remote Amazonian villages are infected but the communist lands have controlled the pandemic?
China is a seller. If they destroy the buyers, who pay them and how will they get rich?
msdivy is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks