Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 16:34   #511
BANNED

Re: Future of shopping malls and mall shop investors - Post COVID-19

Leave aside mall, I'm more concerned about Delhi Metro.

No mall will ever be as crowded as Delhi Metro during rush hour. Especially Blue, Red and Yellow lines.
And less said about Rajiv Chowk, the better.

Good luck maintaining social distancing there.
turbo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 17:26   #512
Senior - BHPian

Westside has many outlets in Bangalore. Most of them are in malls and all of those are closed. They have a few standalone stores. They are open and doing business.

At least in the next few years, brands will plan to have a mix of mall stores & standalone stores.

Just like terrorism affected mall business and though the threat still exists, it is now a thing of past or factored into mall business. Similarly, covid-19 will be overcome and malls will be back in business within 2 years.

Last edited by msdivy : 18th May 2020 at 17:28.
msdivy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 17:56   #513
Senior - BHPian

Large investors have given up any hope of revenue from mall and hospitality businesses for the next 18 months worldwide.
v1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 19:53   #514
BHPian

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the economy

A talk by Yuval Noah Harari, author of Sapiens about COVID 19:

Romins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 11:54   #515
Senior - BHPian

Looks like restaurants/food courts in mall will be hit hardest. The kiosks in food court often keep changing other than the established one's like dominos, subway.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75808858.cms
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 12:28   #516
AZT
BHPian

Cash-strapped India's economic plan unlikely to soften coronavirus blow
Quote:
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India’s $266 billion economic rescue package rests mostly on boosting company credit but contains scant new public spending, tax breaks or cash support to revive demand and prevent firms from collapsing, business leaders and economists say.
Businesses from airlines to small stores are reeling from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s nearly two-month lockdown of India’s 1.3 billion people aimed at limiting the spread of the new coronavirus. Many firms say they won’t survive unless they are bailed out immediately.
Quote:
Combined, this is not enough of a boost to prevent a likely 5% contraction in Asia’s third-largest economy in fiscal 2020/2021, Goldman Sachs said on Monday. It said it expected the economy to shrink an eye-watering 45% on an annualized basis in the quarter to the end of June.
Business leaders are unimpressed by the government’s response.
Quote:
A breakdown of the rescue plan shows that the actual spending of the government is only about a tenth of the $266 billion package, which Modi had hailed as 10% of India’s gross domestic product in line with the big stimulus plans announced by other major economies.
A large part of the rest of the package is actually loans provided by banks, many of them without collateral, leveraging $105 billion of liquidity provided by the central bank, government officials said.
Quote:
“We would not qualify it as a stimulus package ... Only 1% of GDP is given to compensate for the income loss, which is not likely to be sufficient, “ said Sunil Tirumalai of brokerage Emkay Global.
One percent of GDP would amount to about $29 billion - and the government may well spend even less than that as it fears a sovereign rating downgrade.
Read More: https://in.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idINKBN22U1W3
AZT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 17:40   #517
BHPian

A large part of the package actually consist of loans to be made available through banks and most of them will be business loans without collateral. But the problem is after this long and extended lockdown, many business firms and small or medium companies are facing acute cash shortage. Some of them are even on the verge of winding up. This is not the time to take additional liability when the future cash flow is uncertain. At the same time banks are looking at manifold jump in NPA percentage in agri, retail as well as sme advances. Giving collateral free loans at this stage could be the final nail in the coffin for them.

This package only talks about relief in the long run but I don't see any short term need of the hour relaxations in it. Infact I'm sad to see that the government has included privatisation of coal mining as part of the relief package. How on earth a common man will get benefit from it other than established large scale industrialists (read billionaire) is beyond my apprehension.
Carpainter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 18:06   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Infact I'm sad to see that the government has included privatisation of coal mining as part of the relief package. How on earth a common man will get benefit from it other than established large scale industrialists (read billionaire) is beyond my apprehension.
I do not support crony capitalism but I fully support industrialists (read billionaire). If a person /group /company can more efficiently do coal mining, why not.

Q) How on earth a common man will get benefit from it ?
A) A common man who can never dream of a Government job is the person who funds the salary & benefits of all Public sector employees, via paying taxes. Less Public sector employees reduces burden on this common man.
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 19:03   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
A common man who can never dream of a Government job is the person who funds the salary & benefits of all Public sector employees, via paying taxes. Less Public sector employees reduces burden on this common man.
But it's common man who can apply and get a govt. job. Anyway the thing is even with less govt. employees and hence less salary burden, be assured that the govt. is never going to reduce taxes on us. So we will keep paying higher taxes than many other nations whether we have a huge number of public sector employees or not.
Old 19th May 2020, 20:44   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Dentists have been hit very hard due to the Coronavirus. Most of them have shut their clinics and are actually struggling. Now the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has come out with a long list of notifications for the dentists to follow. Even in Green and Orange zones, only emergency procedures have been allowed. It's a different matter altogether if someone is doing practice these days. Details are available on ministry website.

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-screenshot_20200519204543__01.jpg

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-screenshot_20200519204548__01.jpg

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-screenshot_20200519204554__01.jpg

DentalAdvisoryF.pdf

Last edited by BoneCollector : 19th May 2020 at 20:46.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 21:11   #521
BHPian

I wonder how is the government going to enforce social distancing in the Delhi metro. As someone who travels daily from Noida to Gurgaon and back (80KM), the metro is the only option. Also once can't drive every day 80kM in chock-a-block traffic after getting drained from work. I hope the world finds a cure for this virus real soon.
utkarshshukla92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 07:08   #522
Senior - BHPian

Mysore's private star hotel - Southern Star, shuts down.

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-20200520_062839.jpg
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 08:57   #523
BHPian

IMO malls have been on a gradual decline in terms of crowds & facilities. I used to enjoy going to malls with my family about a decade back. We have spent many happy moments watching movies, eating at the food court, participating in activities & in general enjoying ourselves.

However, in the recent past, I have found them tiresome. The jostling crowds, poorly maintained facilities (in some malls only two toilets are ever functional), dark & forbidding car parks. Well, you get the picture.

With the COVID-19 impact, I think most will have to find some alternate way to survive.
A lot of things will change post-COVID-19 that's for sure.
laser2707 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 02:28   #524
BHPian

It might not be as bad as we think. While I don't like Malls much, prefer to eat at standalone restaurants/cafes and do online shopping, have to visit Mall for watching movies in Multiplex. What I observe in the last 6-7 years is that most of the single branded shops are not doing good and found them almost empty most of the time. Multi-brand retail outlets like Shoppers Stops, Pantaloons, Lifestyle etc. are doing okay. Multiplexes, Food Courts and some Restaurants are doing good, specially during weekends. I think it's because of them Malls have survived till now.

Once the Vaccine is out in the mainstream, I'm sure normal activities will resume everywhere including Malls.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 09:04   #525
BHPian

The current situation is very confusing.

1. Yesterday I went out for the first time after a long time. To my surprise, all shops were open, a lot of people/vehicle movement. It just felt like pre covid times.

2. We hear a lot of layoff, pay cut related news. ( I personally know a lot of people who have been laid off or had a pay cut. I am not talking about the obvious sectors like travel, hospitality etc. But other sectors.). And the most common thing you will hear in any interview is that "Post covid, life will never be the same. Big change in consumer behavior etc".

Would love to hear from others.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks