Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 17:08   #391
BHPian

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the global economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
In the meanwhile, People's Bank of China buys 1% stake in HDFC Bank.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...c-5135931.html
Reaction to the above (my guess) but the government has changed the FDI policy now, for neighbouring countries investing in Indian markets.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...d-5162851.html

Quote:
The government has amended the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) policy to discourage opportunistic investment in Indian companies by neighbouring countries in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Quote:
As per the new amendment, FDI investments into Indian companies from the neighbouring countries will now require a nod from the government. This will be applicable to all countries that share a land border with India – such as China among others.
Quote:
Globally, transactions by Chinese firms and institutions have come under scrutiny recently since the assets are being purchased at low valuations. Nations such as the US, Japan and Australia have already placed restrictions on Chinese companies buying assets.

Last edited by sukhoi : 18th April 2020 at 17:08. Reason: Added extra details
sukhoi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 01:34   #392
BHPian

Looks like WFH is here to stay now. IT's clicking: TCS seeks to be work from home bellwether

Quote:
In a post earnings conference on Thursday, TCS's chief operating officer N Ganapathy Subramaniam said the company believes that it does not “need to have more than 25% of workforce at our facilities in order to make all the 100% productive.” Pointing out that every employee need not be present in the office all time he said, “I think it’s sufficient that they spend 25% of their time in our offices.”
Quote:
Wipro, India’s fourth largest IT services firm, which shifted over 93% of its workforce to deliver services remotely as part of its business continuity plan, is evaluating whether it needs all its workers to return to its campuses spread across India and the world.
Quote:
India’s software lobby National Association of Software and Services Companies (Nasscom) believes that the Covid-19 impact has fundamentally altered how companies look at employees and their workplaces
Quote:
Mid-tier IT services firm Sonata Software estimates that it can allow up to 70% of its workforce to operate from home, as there has been a marked increase in productivity during the time all employees worked from home, according to its chief executive officer Srikar Reddy.

“However, there should be a clarification on the tax benefits that IT services companies get operating from SEZ. Clients’ confidence is equally important,” he said.
emphasis in bold mine.

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-wfhimage.jpeg

While IT sector has started thinking about it, I suspect other sectors, where it is possible, would start thinking about it too.

Initially had thought of posting this in the "show your work-from-home office thread" but then since it would have some effect on economy (real estate prices as mentioned in the article) thought would post it here. And it is not just real estate that would be impacted in my opinion. Some other areas getting impacted, should WFH become a reality, would be:
  • Lower consumption of fuel since one of the biggest usage of car (at least in my case) is the daily commute to office.
  • We have a lot of support staff in office like the canteen staff. We may not need that many people in canteen and that much food, if less workforce is in office.
  • In & around IT parks, we have a lot of eateries, vendors offering tea, coffee, snacks (maggi, eggs etc.). Employees often step out for a smoke/tea break and visit these places. Livelihood of those people could get impacted if more people work from home
  • More broadband installations (a colleague got Airtel broadband installed first week of March, was managing with mobile data all along since he never did WFH, good timing he now says) and better plans / offerings.
  • Security staff may see a reduction (not sure)
  • Rental offices might be vacated resulting in lowering of rentals / real estate impact
  • I know folks who stay in Noida but have taken up rental accommodation in Gurgaon just to avoid the daily commute. On weekends they go home. If WFH becomes a reality, need/demand for such rental accommodation could also go down.

Do not know about the tax implications of SEZ, how that would be impacted if we have employees WFH.

Regards,
S
sukhoi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 12:05   #393
AZT
BHPian

Even investments are changing - Alibaba to invest $28 billion in cloud services after coronavirus boosted demand

Quote:
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (BABA.N) said it will invest 200 billion yuan ($28 billion) in its cloud infrastructure over three years - a plan that follows a boom in demand for business software as the coronavirus outbreak peaked in China.The company said in a statement it will spend the funds on semiconductor and operating system development as well as building out its data centre infrastructure.
Read More: https://in.reuters.com/article/us-ch...-idINKBN22208E
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 12:49   #394
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If anyone is looking at a business idea, look at the "designer masks" industry. Face masks are going to be around for a while and IMHO, they'll become the new "scarves" as a fashion accessory. I don't see socialites wearing the humble medical masks when they're out. Heck, I would pay a premium rupee for a nice looking automotive-themed mask .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 13:05   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
a nice looking automotive-themed mask
And here I was hoping / expecting Team-Bhp would add that to its merchandise listing with possible customization!
Miyata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 06:40   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nice looking automotive-themed mask .
Is that a hint that such a product might hit the team-bhp store soon?
Old 21st April 2020, 12:29   #397
Senior - BHPian

Oil prices plunge to the lowest level in History!:

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.c...hats-next.html
Old 21st April 2020, 14:56   #398
Senior - BHPian

Fastest growing and declining products in e-commerce due to the COVID 19 related factors.

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-5e88b982241219591c8a4cb6_new_resized_4.3.jpg

Please click on the image to view it in a larger window.

Source

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 21st April 2020 at 15:18.
Warwithwheels is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 15:58   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If anyone is looking at a business idea, look at the "designer masks" industry. Face masks are going to be around for a while and IMHO, they'll become the new "scarves" as a fashion accessory. I don't see socialites wearing the humble medical masks when they're out. Heck, I would pay a premium rupee for a nice looking automotive-themed mask .
There are already a few people making these - they will now go mental.
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:49   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Heck, I would pay a premium rupee for a nice looking automotive-themed mask .

You suggested it, then you must act on it. Let us know when can we expect the Team-BHP branded masks in the store? I would like to see this merchandise in your store soon.
Old 23rd April 2020, 14:03   #401
AZT
BHPian

Great Report on the exodus of the migrant workers back to their villages

The Long Road Home
Quote:
For decades, villages across India have been emptying out.
To many people, the decision is one of simple arithmetic: to earn $6 per day instead of $3 back home. In areas like the parched Bundelkhand region of Madhya Pradesh state, home to Dayaram’s ancestral village, living off the land has become increasingly difficult as rainfall recedes.
Quote:
Migrants are the backbone of the urban economy. Construction workers such as Dayaram are a necessity for India’s rapidly expanding cities. Others clean toilets, drive taxis and deliver takeout. They predominantly earn daily wages, with no prospect of job security, and live in dirty, densely populated slums, saving money to send back home. That money is essential to the young and elderly left behind in villages. Around $30 billion flows from urban to rural areas in India each year, according to government and academic estimates.
Now that infusion of money, transferred through rural banks or in worn stacks of rupees borne home on rare visits, has come to a halt
Quote:
The Targeted Public Distribution Scheme allows India’s poorest to purchase 5 kilograms of subsidized grains per month each. But because the migrant workers are no longer permanent residents, they’re left without access to the food doled out from a nearby grain silo
Quote:
In good months in New Delhi, they were able to save 8,000 rupees, or about $100, a month to send back home, and to repay a loan taken out when Gyanvati fell sick early in their marriage.
But soon, Dayaram said, he would be forced to borrow again from local money lenders, charging interest at 3% a month – a rate that can quickly spiral into unpayable debts.
Read more: https://www.reuters.com/investigates...ndia-migrants/
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 22:15   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If anyone is looking at a business idea, look at the "designer masks" industry...
Looks like some garment manufacturing unit is keeping a close watch on this thread and they took it one step ahead

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-img_7512.jpg

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 23rd April 2020 at 22:17.
Warwithwheels is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 22:55   #403
Senior - BHPian

All of a sudden; 2020 looks almost 'done and dusted' (we're barely in the 2nd quarter ); everyone's looking to 2021 to launch their products, as though we know what 2021 has in store for us! Chinese eating habits (or is it that lab in Wuhan) has turned the world topsy turvy; so much so even the Chinese don't know where we're headed. Now their acquisitions spree has hit a road block with many world Govt's reviewing Chinese interests in their companies. Actually, I'm waiting to see some of the greedy automakers bite the dust.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 23rd April 2020 at 23:25.
Old 23rd April 2020, 22:56   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Fastest growing and declining products in e-commerce ....
Surprised to find camping equipment declining. I thought BYOT ( bring your own tent) will trend up. Maybe once lockdown eases and people will get breather it will start going up. It is very difficult to hold mankind tethered to a place for long.

-BJ
Old 23rd April 2020, 23:01   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Surprised to find camping equipment declining.
I think this data is US specific. Many of the national parks and camping grounds are closed due to covid related public health threats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks