Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 09:12   #676
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Greenhouse gas emissions are estimated to be at an all-time low now for the first time since 2008's recession. The 9/11 freeze on global aviation had also sharply cut emissions for a brief time.
Nature's way of balancing man's actions I would say
Old 16th March 2020, 09:25   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Is there a figure as to how many people have been tested in totality till now in India? With the government making it free now I'm sure the testing numbers would go up.

Where do we rank in number of people tested in totality compared to rest of the world?
As per some news reports it is 6000 odd in India till 2 days back.
I don't know about the world. But at it's peak, China was testing thousands a day.
South Korea has done more than 180k tests.
China more than 300k. Not sure of the correctness of numbers. But New York times interview of a WHO official mentioned that China was testing 1000s a day.

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-...been-completed

Last edited by vibbs : 16th March 2020 at 09:26.
Old 16th March 2020, 09:33   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Greenhouse gas emissions are estimated to be at an all-time low now for the first time since 2008's recession. The 9/11 freeze on global aviation had also sharply cut emissions for a brief time.
Today morning, I watched a news channel reporting about the ways in which COVID saved lives. Reduction in emissions, reduced number of road accidents, reduction in meat consumption and so on. Not saying that this outbreak is good, but if you think about it there are small unintended positives.

I hope this leads to people realizing the value of resources that everyone takes for granted, and reduce wastage in the long run.
Old 16th March 2020, 09:44   #679
Senior - BHPian

I read this thread to just see if there are any fresh local news which is not yet updated in Wikipedia and MOH web pages. As of now I trust both Central and my state government authorities and believe what I see there. Let us not speculate and bite our nails off.
Old 16th March 2020, 09:50   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Is there a figure as to how many people have been tested in totality till now in India? With the government making it free now I'm sure the testing numbers would go up.

Where do we rank in number of people tested in totality compared to rest of the world?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
As per some news reports it is 6000 odd in India till 2 days back.

As per this report, the numbers are pretty bleak for India.

The Coronavirus Thread-corona-testing.jpg
Source: attached link

Unfortunately, our test rates seem to be even more worse than US rates; which is being berated all over the world. The saving grace is the lower number of infections; which ironically is dependent on sufficient number of tests being done.
Old 16th March 2020, 10:00   #681
Senior - BHPian

Although the authorities are doing the right things, I see some things not being done right.

Jack Ma is donating 5 lakh testing kits to US. Why isn't India or someone in India trying to do this ? What happened to our billionaires ? I believe the chinese kits can test in 15 minutes. Takes at least 6 hours here in Bengaluru and then one more round of confirmation test.

Infosys foundation Sudha Murthy had asked govt here to give them a empty building with 300-400 beds. They will setup the infrastructure and oxygen lines etc. I haven't seen a response here after one week.

BBMP authorities are going to public places, marriage halls etc and making sure people dont assemble in big numbers. They are even visiting homes and asking if they know anyone having symptoms. However, not everywhere. So its not structured properly with utmost discipline.

There are things that needs to be done by govt. Even above all that, its still not 100% under govt's control. But we should make our effort.

Last edited by srishiva : 16th March 2020 at 10:01.
Old 16th March 2020, 10:22   #682
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Guys,

How is the test for CoronaVirus done ?

Is it a swab test ?
Does it involve drawing blood through vein ?
Does it involve drop of blood testing like Glucometer machines ?

How long does result take to come ?

Do prominent labs in India like Dr Lal Pathlabs/Thyrocare etc have coronavirus testing facility ?
Old 16th March 2020, 10:41   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Sharing some facts which some of you may know. This is just to put things into context.
The last pandemic was the swine flu of 2009-2010.
Except that it isn't the flu. It's viral pneumonia.

The Coronavirus Thread-capture.jpg

So, comparisons with flus don't stand wrt to weathers and reinfections.
At the bare minimum, the hospitalization and ventilator support rates are much much higher than flus.
The real problem seems to be overwhelming of hospital capacities resulting in much higher mortality rates.

It's like a DDoS attack on medical infrastructure.
Old 16th March 2020, 10:41   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys,

How is the test for CoronaVirus done ?

Is it a swab test ?
Does it involve drawing blood through vein ?
Does it involve drop of blood testing like Glucometer machines ?

How long does result take to come ?

Do prominent labs in India like Dr Lal Pathlabs/Thyrocare etc have coronavirus testing facility ?
It can be tested both by a throat swab and a blood sample. However, the widely used method across the globe is obtaining a nasopharyngeal swab and a throat swab. No, it does not involve testing like a glucometer with just a drop a blood. Its not that easy and rapid.

Resulting takes 4 hours normally ( atleast at Kasturba, Mumbai ). In Mumbai, only 100 samples per day are tested. Private labs are not testing yet, as they do not have the reagent kits to test the virus. Its only done at the 65 designated labs set up across the country under the supervision of the apex National Institute of Virology, Pune.

Regards
Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 10:46   #685
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
It can be tested both by a throat swab and a blood sample. However, the widely used method across the globe is obtaining a nasopharyngeal swab and a throat swab. No, it does not involve testing like a glucometer with just a drop a blood. Its not that easy and rapid.

Resulting takes 4 hours normally ( atleast at Kasturba, Mumbai ). In Mumbai, only 100 samples per day are tested. Private labs are not testing yet, as they do not have the reagent kits to test the virus. Its only done at the 65 designated labs set up across the country under the supervision of the apex National Institute of Virology, Pune.

Regards
Dr. Vivek
Thank you.

And where can one find the list these 65 labs ?

Last edited by DCEite : 16th March 2020 at 10:47.
Old 16th March 2020, 10:51   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Although the Karnataka government has announced over the weekend that all IT companies should implement WFH, a lot of companies in Bangalore are yet to announce its implementation.

This is going to lead to a high risk scenario today.
I am in Mumbai and can do WFH as I have a laptop but many many employees in my organization do not have one and cannot do WFH. I am not sure how WFH can be implemented for those. Usually, lower level employees / freshers etc do not have laptops.
Old 16th March 2020, 10:56   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Bad bad day.
368 dead in a single day in Italy, worse than China for a single day casualty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Unfortunately, our test rates seem to be even more worse than US rates; which is being berated all over the world. The saving grace is the lower number of infections; which ironically is dependent on sufficient number of tests being done.
In India, those who have had either primary or secondary exposure to an infected person are being tested. Then those who show positive symptoms are also tested. This number compared to the overall population is low. But that doesn't mean the effort is poor. There is no point in testing low-risk population just to boost the number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
There are things that needs to be done by govt. Even above all that, its still not 100% under govt's control. But we should make our effort.
Though late now, the Govt could have done these earlier:
1) Mandatory quarantine for all international arrivals
The quarantine was mandatory only for those arriving from COVID-19 Level 3 locations like China, Korea, Iran, Italy. As we have seen, it is those who are arriving from the US, Greece, Dubai, Saudi testing positive. Quarantine must have extended to all countries.

2) Mandatory testing for all international arrivals after 14 day quarantine period.
This is to positively confirm the travelers have not developed or passed on the infection to other residents.
Old 16th March 2020, 10:56   #688
Senior - BHPian

Lessons learnt from the Nipah outbreak are coming in handy for Kerala. The state is trying to tackle Corona on a war footing.

The Coronavirus Thread-img_20200316_104207.jpg

All states must implement similar measures. Its not really difficult because such exercises are carried out during general elections and therefore states have the ability to undertake them. Where the officials used to look for cash and contraband, they need to look for Corona now.

On a lighter note, Corona has managed to expose a dirty secret related to Indian Railways .

The Coronavirus Thread-img_20200316_104148.jpg
Old 16th March 2020, 11:13   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thank you.

And where can one find the list these 65 labs ?
I am sorry, it's 52 labs at present but I happened to read that it will be augmented to 65 shortly.

Here is the current list --
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200316110804__02.jpg
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200316110813__01.jpg
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200316110819__01.jpg

- Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 11:28   #690
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My entire team is working from home since a couple of days. Office is empty.

However, one of my close friends is working at a company with 1000+ employees in Bombay. I think that is quite crazy & irresponsible. Worst still, they are making him travel to Bangalore on Wednesday . He is clearly not comfortable with either going to office (open office layout) or travelling to Bangalore on Wed. His nature of work is such that he can easily complete everything from home.

How are you guys handling this at your office? Did you guys complain to someone senior or the HR? Or just take sick leave?

Last edited by GTO : 16th March 2020 at 11:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks