Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:01   #5821
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Covid antiviral pill can halve risk of hospitalisation
Yes. New kid on the anti-viral block, developed by Merk, and doing well in tests. The article I read yesterday implied that this could even be an over-the-counter non-prescription drug. Big question is: will this be affordable to all?

Let's hope so. It's an exciting development.
Old 4th October 2021, 11:20   #5822
Senior - BHPian

I used to follow this website for tracking numbers statewise. But looks like they are shutting down EOM.

The Coronavirus Thread-9578b17c6409450ca111b8d7d0aac5b4.jpeg

Full blogpost link here
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 21:02   #5823
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

To the docs in the forum,

I tested positive on 22nd Sept with Fever. Fever subsidized in 5 days and no symptoms since then

However, I took another RT PCR test today ( 13 days since I tested positive ) and it still shows Positive

Now, I've some upcoming travel planned and I'm worried this might be an issue

Just wanted to understand usually how long it takes for the report to turn negative and will any medication help??

Thanks in advance !
Old 4th October 2021, 21:33   #5824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
I used to follow this website for tracking numbers statewise. But looks like they are shutting down EOM.
That means the end is near, I mean for COVID-19 . It appears the places where the delta variant was active, the cases are falling. Is the delta variant the end? Could be. Unless there is a more potent yet nimble variant than delta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Just wanted to understand usually how long it takes for the report to turn negative and will any medication help??
Not a doctor and sharing from observation. Most of the people turn negative between 7 days to 21 days. But there are extremes like this one. In case you have upcoming travel, go for daily tests and whenever you get the -ve report, hold on to it.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 12:39   #5825
BHPian

Anyone here done an RT-PCR test from the govt centers in Mumbai? The temporary jumbo covid centers.

How do they provide the result? Just an SMS or a PDF/Email is also available, which can be printed.
Old 18th October 2021, 21:16   #5826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
To the docs in the forum,

I tested positive on 22nd Sept with Fever. Fever subsidized in 5 days and no symptoms since then
Usually after 10 days of onset of symptomes, person becomes totally non infectious. After around 2 weeks RT PCR is expected to be negative in majority of patients. Drugs like remdesivir help in rapid viral clearance form body.

But in certain situations even after 3 to 4 weeks also RT PCR may remain positive. This is may be due to inability of body to clear virus fast seen in kidney ailment (CKD) patients OR in many cases its just viral fragments which are being shed which are non infectious (Its not complete virion which can replicate).

Now a days there is no need to document virological cure, means repeat RT PCR to document cure is not needed.

So in short, if you are clinically better, do not do any RT PCR testing.
Kiran Joshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 12:58   #5827
Senior - BHPian

The thread seems to have gone silent given that the COVID-19 numbers have gone low which is good sign

Wanted to understand from the experts here on the vaccination for kids in the 5 to 11 age group. There was news of some vaccine being available in October 2021 itself but we are in Nov and no sign yet. The KA Govt has given the go ahead for opening of kindergarten from today. Some schools are planning to open by December and hence the query. What is a realistic date when a vaccine for kids in the 5-11 age group maybe available in India?
Old 8th November 2021, 13:31   #5828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
The thread seems to have gone silent given that the COVID-19 numbers have gone low which is good sign

Wanted to understand from the experts here on the vaccination for kids in the 5 to 11 age group. There was news of some vaccine being available in October 2021 itself but we are in Nov and no sign yet. The KA Govt has given the go ahead for opening of kindergarten from today. Some schools are planning to open by December and hence the query. What is a realistic date when a vaccine for kids in the 5-11 age group maybe available in India?
The only vaccine ( as expected ) approved for Emergency use by US FDA in children, in the age group of 5--11 years is the mRNA vaccine developed by Pfizer--BioNtech ( USA--Germany ). This development happened only recently, say last week, and for now it's approved in USA. Wasn't a surprise that the best vaccine in the world with 95% efficacy, would first make this cut in the pediatric group. India is not getting Pfizer--BioNtech vaccine, not even for adults, let alone pediatrics. Reason being the safety of this vaccine in Indian population is not confirmed ( as though our Covaxin with 79% efficacy is fully safe ) The Pfizer one in the pediatric group claims an efficacy rate of 91%

-- Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 13:59   #5829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

I'll recommend doing an antibody test for your kid. I was surprised to see very high anti body levels in my 9 year who had seen two -ve RT PCR in the past.

She had fever / sore throat symptoms for a couple of days when my wife was diagnosed with COVID. I believe she caught the bug but recovered w/o much hassle.

Vaccine for kids is still at very early stages globally.
Old 8th November 2021, 15:08   #5830
BHPian

I think COVAXIN is being proposed for kids. Hope this goes through. COVAXIN being a conventional vaccine; one that contains deactivated virus, may be the safest bet for kids.
MinivanDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 20:37   #5831
Senior - BHPian

Looks like one more vaccine resistant variant being reported. Hope it's just an another false alarm.
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/covi...strain-2624909
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 22:31   #5832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
India is not getting Pfizer--BioNtech vaccine, not even for adults, let alone pediatrics. Reason being the safety of this vaccine in Indian population is not confirmed ( as though our Covaxin with 79% efficacy is fully safe )
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1....suppl_1.10712

A report presented at the American Heart Association (AHA) Scientific Sessions 2021 says that the risk of developing acute coronary syndrome (ACS) increases significantly in patients who receive mRNA COVID-19 vaccines. The study found that the risk of developing heart diseases increases from 11% to 25% in patients who receive the Covid-19 vaccines developed by Pfizer and Moderna using the new mRNA technology.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 19:10   #5833
BHPian

Omicron - Cause of concern?

Just when we thought things were starting to get under control, COVID-19 comes out with a new variant, with over 30 mutations, a higher transmissibility rate, and a higher risk of re-infection!

I write this with a lot of anxiety, as I went through a traumatic experience during the second wave. Being a healthy and fit (regularly exercising, healthy eating) individual in my thirties, I always thought that if I ever got the virus, I would easily overcome it. But boy, was I wrong! I was in the hospital for 2 full weeks and went through the entire course of treatment including Remdesvir and plasma. With 60% lung damage at that point in time, I have seen my oximeter readings go as low as 66. Took me almost 6 months to recover. So, my fear is real!

Now, within 1 week of the new variant being discovered, it has reached 12 other countries, and it is just a matter of time before it reaches India. While other countries may be able to contain the spread of this variant, our population density makes it extremely hard for us to do a good job at stopping transmission. While a reasonable chunk of the population is vaccinated (or has already contracted COVID once, and hence developed some immunity), WHO says that the vaccine is not effective against Omicron, and can reinfect people who had earlier contracted the disease.

Are we looking at an impending third wave? Are we staring at a potential lockdown situation? Or are we just over-cautious this time around, and are over-reacting?

Any doctors who can throw some light on this?

Last edited by nTorq : 29th November 2021 at 19:11. Reason: Typo
nTorq is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 19:21   #5834
BHPian

Re: Omicron - Cause of concern?

I think various states might prefer a phased lockdown as a precautionary measure before things spiral out of control. Hope the respective governments have learnt their share of lessons this time around.

From what eminent Indian scientists are saying, Covaxin & Covishield offer optimum protection from the Omicron variant and will prevent any serious hospitalization if one contracts COVID this time.

Best precaution that all of us should take is wearing double masks: one cloth mask and a surgical mask on top of it; or a proper N95 mask.

At the end of the day, as responsible citizens, it is our own duty to take care of ourselves first and then expect the government to put in place health safety regulations.

P.s. Would advise all to stock-up on masks and sanitizers just to be safe. The companies made fat profits last time by jacking-up the prices of these medical essentials.
IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 19:24   #5835
BHPian

Re: Omicron - Cause of concern?

Not entirely related but I am wondering how IT Companies like the one I am working for going to tackle this as we have been called to work from office twice a week (I am one of the 10% people who are being called).
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks