Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:09   #5491
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
One of my friend who is running a hospital and has dedicated covid center suggested yesterday that people who have recovered, should not do anything strenuous / physically demanding for ~3 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
My doctor said the same and I had the same symptoms as well. The thing is, I have lost quite an amount of weight as well and the weakness eve
Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
I would be highly interested in knowing the professional opinion about this.
In my practice most patients with mild to moderate infection(with no or little oxygen requirement) regain there pre-disease energy levels by about one month from the date of infection. Those who required high oxygen supplementation, with significant lung damage, take 3 to 6 months.

This is an observation, but each individual may differ depending on their pre-disease stamina and mindset. Women recover faster and return to their routine early, compared to men.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/phys...t-recovery.pdf

This document from John Hopkins gives a very good guide for recovery.

My advice is to take things slowly. Avoid physical activity till about 10 days from the peak of the disease(most debilitating day). Start physical activity at about 30 percentage of pre disease levels and add 5 percent every day.
aadya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:11   #5492
BHPian

Quote:

I recovered about a week ago. My symptoms were high fever for 3 days, and then cough, weakness and body ache. My HRCT score on the 6th day of symptoms was 2/25, so little bit of lung involvement at that point. Didn't take any steroids and recovered at home.

I have resumed running since a week and though I am not able to match my pre covid distance or pace yet, but it is okayish nevertheless.

Should I avoid running? I thought this will help fix any damage that may be present in my lungs.
Among many of my knows who were infected with Corona a cousin of mine and a friend were among those with whom I was closely interacting. For both the doctors prescribed complete bed rest for three weeks post discharge and then 3 months rest with no exposure to any physical activity not even brisk walking as the healing of lungs is a very slow process as per the doctors. My friends CT score was 13 and my cousins CT score was 18. Both of them were admitted in hospital for 3+ weeks.
Both were treated in two different locations - one in Noida and one in Chandigarh but the consultation/advice by two different doctors post recovery are almost the same.
sunbaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:45   #5493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
127 million polio drops (vaccinations) were administered in a single day in India in January 1997 and another 134 million on a single day in 1998.
Polio vaccine was rolled out in US in 1955 and it took us 40 years, nearly 60% of world cases AND a resolution by World health association in 1988 to roll out the programme in India in 1995.

I don't consider that as any sort of leadership. Yes we vaccinated huge no. on certain days, but that is a metric of our population and testimony to the hard work of men and women involved.

By the way, the logistics for polio vaccine are pretty simple, to compare that with the drive now with complicated storage and transportation conditions is like comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd May 2021 at 17:36. Reason: Quoted post edited, and removing political references
ashish.uno is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:51   #5494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Questions for doctors:
I have wondered about this. If diabetics can dose themselves with insulin, why can't health workers be trained to give injections? Also, there used to be high pressure vaccine guns (don't recall where I read this) that painlessly inject vaccines - why aren't they being used in this case?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_injector
Hi,
Health workers are trained to give injections. You will not see a doctor engaged in giving injections. In most places the trained staff will be administering the injection. Regarding pain it's miniscule as it uses a small gauge needle and nothing more than a pinch.

Quote:
One of my friend who is running a hospital and has dedicated covid center suggested yesterday that people who have recovered, should not do anything strenuous / physically demanding for ~3 months. Especially the ones who had lung infection and have underwent HRCT to verify.
What is the opinion of other doctors on this?
Hi,
It is known that people who are actively involved in exercising during recovery regain their baseline faster. For most infections the recovery period should be between 2 weeks to 2 months at the most. This rule does not apply for people who are hospitalised in critical care setup where it has to be individualized due to the cocktail of medicine used to help their body recover. IMHO, listen to your body and engage it in stepwise increments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
My doctor said the same and I had the same symptoms as well. The thing is, I have lost quite an amount of weight as well and the weakness even after recovering will take some time to go too. Strenuous exercise and running is a complete no no for me for the next few months and I suppose your friend is saying the same. This I have confirmed with multiple doctor friends too.
Hi,
Don't avoid running or lifting weights totally. If you were doing 5k everyday it will be good measure to try 2k 3 times a week and If you can sustain improve on it. It's not a ground rule that you should not lift weights or do HIIT. Engage in what your body permits and take it slow.

Quote:

I recovered about a week ago. My symptoms were high fever for 3 days, and then cough, weakness and body ache. My HRCT score on the 6th day of symptoms was 2/25, so little bit of lung involvement at that point. Didn't take any steroids and recovered at home.

I have resumed running since a week and though I am not able to match my pre covid distance or pace yet, but it is okayish nevertheless.

Should I avoid running? I thought this will help fix any damage that may be present in my lungs.
Hi,
Please don't avoid physical activity. Running is not going to delay your recovery. You may not be able to do pre COVID limits but you should reach there in couple of months. Running or any form of physical activity is essential for both improving your cardiorespiratory efficiency and mental well being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Hi,

Need some advice on tests. My folks tested positive for corona on 21st April they recovered after 14 days but have weakness and fatigue. They were put on steroids and blood thinners since that time all the hospitals were full and doctor did not want to take chances. I wanted to know by when should we get their blood tests like CRP, platelets, RBC, WBC done?
Hi,
Weakness and fatigue is part of recovery process and unless there are new symptoms doing routine labs may not benefit. Speak to the primary doctor to decide. The tests you have mentioned is of benefit during COVID to guide treatment in sick patients and are not routinely done as a measure of well-being.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:58   #5495
BHPian

Quote:
One of my friend who is running a hospital and has dedicated covid center suggested yesterday that people who have recovered, should not do anything strenuous / physically demanding for ~3 months. Especially the ones who had lung infection and have underwent HRCT to verify.

What is the opinion of other doctors on this?
Not a doctor but as some one who recovered from Covid, I can but agree.

The weakness is of another level, joint pain in the right leg, muscles atrophied, near zero stamina. So even if one wanted to, it would be safer to desist for 3-4 months than risking further injury.
ashish.uno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 15:09   #5496
BHPian

Just a small reminder to some people in this thread, who might be under the impression that 'advanced' countries have solved the vaccine problem:

Source: Reuters/NDTV
Tip-offs, Cold Calls: How Germans Are Hustling For A Covid Shot

Quote:
Against its stereotype of order, Germany's vaccine rollout has descended into a frenzy as people turn to tip-offs, online message boards and cold calls to doctors in a scramble to get a COVID-19 shot.
Quote:
Hampered by a shortage of supply, Germany started by vaccinating its oldest and most vulnerable citizens and has been gradually expanding shots to priority professions such as teachers and those working in critical infrastructure.
Quote:
From June 7, Germany will lift restrictions for all people, Health Minister Jens Spahn said on Monday, but warned that not everyone will be able to get vaccinated immediately, pointing to ongoing logistical and supply bottlenecks.
Wealthy nations once lauded as successes lag in vaccinations
Source : Associated Press/Economic Times

Quote:
In Japan, South Korea and New Zealand, the vaccination rates are languishing in the single figures.
Quote:
...three Pacific countries rank worst among all developed nations in vaccinating against COVID-19, they also rank below many developing countries such as Brazil and India,...
Quote:
Australia, which isn't providing a full breakdown of its vaccination numbers, is also performing comparatively poorly, as are several other places initially considered standout successes in battling the virus, including Thailand, Vietnam and Taiwan.
DigitalOne is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 18:41   #5497
BHPian

A query to the docs.

One of our apartment resident died yesterday after fighting for 12 days in hospital. He was tested C +ve and after 2-3 days he felt breathlessness and admitted to a hospital with oxygen. Subsequently put on ventilator. Five six days ago after much improvement, ventilator was put off but remained on O2.

He was finally declared C-ve two days ago and was supposed to be discharged yesterday. Then doctors advised him to go for physiotherapy as he was very very weak and could not walk. Yesterday nurse assisted him to walk but then he collapsed right there.

I haven't seen the death certificate but is this considered a covid death or only cardiac arrest?
Old 22nd May 2021, 19:43   #5498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
A query to the docs.
He was finally declared C-ve two days ago and was supposed to be discharged yesterday. Then doctors advised him to go for physiotherapy as he was very very weak and could not walk. Yesterday nurse assisted him to walk but then he collapsed right there.
I haven't seen the death certificate but is this considered a covid death or only cardiac arrest?
Hi,
May his soul rest in peace. The trend we have been noticing in most if not all hospitals tend to do a 2nd swab 10 to 14 days after hospitalization and if it tests negative the patient is declared covid negative and the cause of death is not filed under COVID. They would probably be filing as cardiac arrest and would add COVID as a secondary cause. Unlike western countries we don't do autopsy for unexplained death unless the circumstances dictate and we will never know what caused this individuals death. IMHO this is wrong and just because the patient does not have the virus in his throat we can't be declaring the death as COVID unrelated.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 20:33   #5499
BHPian

Going by government claims, we would have a strong supply of vaccines within next 6 months. Assuming this comes true and vaccine starts flowing like water in our country - is it recommended to take more than one type (Example - 2 doses of Covaxin followed by 2 doses of Covishield) for better immunity?

Last edited by warrioraks : 22nd May 2021 at 20:40.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 21:52   #5500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
is it recommended to take more than one type (Example - 2 doses of Covaxin followed by 2 doses of Covishield) for better immunity?
Why not 10 doses of each? Seriously, this is taking it too far, but probably something to be left entirely up to the findings of the scientific community. May be you could end up right
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 22:16   #5501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Why not 10 doses of each?
Because the doctors prescribe 2 doses only

My question is more around taking prescribed doses of multiple vaccines rather than OverDosing on one. Can this provide better mutant coverage? Or does this backfire? Or is this an unknown territory?
Would wait to hear from doctors and experts.

Last edited by warrioraks : 22nd May 2021 at 22:26.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 22:17   #5502
BHPian

Are there any Doctors on the group who have actually administered the almost magic DRDO 2DG sachet ?

Would be nice to get direct feedback on the efficacy of this drug in terms of improving SPO2 levels of COVID affected patients.
Old 22nd May 2021, 22:56   #5503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Going by government claims, we would have a strong supply of vaccines within next 6 months. Assuming this comes true and vaccine starts flowing like water in our country - is it recommended to take more than one type (Example - 2 doses of Covaxin followed by 2 doses of Covishield) for better immunity?
Hi,
As of now there are no recommendations to cross over and vaccinate. There are on going studies for cross over vaccination for example women between 30 to 55 Y who have received Covishield as first dose can opt for Pfizers vaccine for 2nd dose and the data is being collected. By the end of this year we will have more data pertaining to individual and cross over vaccinations. Till such credible data is available we have no other choice but to choose either Covishield or Covaxin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Are there any Doctors on the group who have actually administered the almost magic DRDO 2DG sachet ?
Would be nice to get direct feedback on the efficacy of this drug in terms of improving SPO2 levels of COVID affected patients.
Hi,
From medical point of view the available data does not support using 2DG as standard of care medication for COVID patients. The study that has been published is pathetic to say the least. What could you expect when a study is published by running simulations on a PC by people without medical background. As of Jan2021 nearly 100 medications which showed promising in vitro activity failed in vivo, which includes Ivermectin, HCQ and many Antivirals. IMHO, I will rely on standard treatment which has proven to be beneficial.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 22nd May 2021 at 23:01.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 22:57   #5504
BHPian

Query to Doctors or scientists in this field : Is vaccination against Covid going to become a
semi-annual affair?
Are vaccinations against supposed pandemics going to become a routine affair for mankind now?
Is mankind of the richer variety doomed to getting several shots annually whereas poor working class peasants keep on surviving these type of pandemics even without vaccination?
Is there any correlation between vaccinations and deaths if we look at the data country wise? That is country A where vaccination is available viz a viz country B where vaccination is not available? Are any researchers doing this kind of research?

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd May 2021 at 08:03. Reason: Quoted part removed - no off-topic comments, and please be polite/respectful to fellow members.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 01:14   #5505
BHPian

For all those who are batting for mass vaccination and why India failed to do so, a simple question - how many of you would have taken the vaccine if India had avoided the 2nd wave and maintained the same status quo as February/March?

Because I remember there was a huge hue and cry when Covaxin was given permission for emergency use that we shouldn't take chances with vaccines that are not completed the human trials and there was even some articles in the main stream media, that we shouldn't vaccinate the entire population and it would be 'unethical' to force someone to get vaccination.

Even, I had a tough time to convince my dad to get vaccinated and finally able to, however unable to convince my mom still. And SII also specifically mentioned that the demand was less during the initial months.

Now, that the second wave ran wild after people forget about what is Covid Appropriate Behavior, suddenly we wanted to vaccinate the entire population in a day, comparing it with Pulse polio drops. God save this country.
jpcoolguy is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks