Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2021, 10:43   #4861
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Nice initiative by the government to sell the Remdesivir, however it seems like already over-crowding in the counter to get the vials.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...8-2295425.html

Quote:
One patient can purchase up to six vials of Remdesivir. The cost of each vial is Rs 1,568 including GST, he further added.
Quote:
To purchase the drug at the counter, one needs to submit a request from the treating doctor saying that the patient is sick and is under oxygen support with the name of the hospital, RTPCR positive report, CT scan report showing severe lung involvement and the Aadhaar card.

The drug will be sold from 10 am to 5pm.
Old 28th April 2021, 10:50   #4862
Team-BHP Support

Guys, please backoff from the politics. - Support Team
Samurai is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:57   #4863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
We have enough evidence to prove that the vaccine reduces the severity of the infection. So lets just get it done in the 6-8 weeks interval.

I don't doubt that vaccination reduces the severity of the infection. My point was that, given the current situation, whether to rush out to get my shot when I'm almost certain to contract the Covid in going for it. After all, it takes time for the full protection of the vaccine to kick in for it to be of much help in such a situation! People around my place are queing up for hours for a shot where no protocols are maintained. Even so, they are not guaranteed to get a shot that day! The current positivity rates reported here are upwards of 20%!

I was only looking at the leeway I have in terms of allowable dosage interval -- not to enhance its purported efficacy, but so I can wait and watch for the situation to improve enough so it becomes safer (if it ever does) when I go out to get the shot!

Last edited by meerkat : 28th April 2021 at 11:06.
meerkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 11:14   #4864
Senior - BHPian

My maternal uncle caught covid despite taking first dose of vaccine. Some medication given, in four days he had no fever or any other symptoms. All the time home isolation.

Grandmother caught covid after taking first dose of vaccine, no symptoms other than fever and bodyache. Fever was there only for three days and home isolation with some medicines.

My aunt caught Covid, no vaccine and fever for five days, but oxygen level was 94-95. Fever just wont go, got admitted somehow yesterday and remdesivir was given. No fever since then. Similar was case with my friend and his brother where oxygen levels were not alarming but fever was persistent. Remdesivir was given and they improved.

Looks like Covid acts differently and its difficult to arrive at a linear method for treatment, it varies for person to person and since its quite dangerous due to lack of a proper cure, lot of attention from doctors is required.
aaggoswami is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 11:36   #4865
BHPian

Major guidance change by the US Centre for Disease Control: Fully vaccinated people do not need masks outside

Quote:
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced that fully vaccinated Americans do not need to wear a mask when they are outdoors.

Those who have received all required jabs can ditch their face coverings if alone or in small groups of vaccinated people, the new guidelines say.

But the CDC left in place its guidance to don a mask indoors and in crowded settings or venues.
Source: BBC
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 11:57   #4866
Senior - BHPian

https://dashboard.kerala.gov.in/index.php

A total of 18413 people recovered from COVID-19 in the state of Kerala, the highest single-day recovery yet. Hope this trend continues, does any other state have similar stats available?
ecenandu is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:03   #4867
BHPian

We have study that shows even one dose of the vaccine helps in reducing the household transmission

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/one-...-study-2423251

Quote:
The Public Health England (PHE) research found that those who became infected three weeks after receiving their first jab were between 38 and 49 percent less likely to pass the virus on to their household contacts than those who were unvaccinated.

"This is terrific news -- we already know vaccines save lives and this study is the most comprehensive real-world data showing they also cut transmission of this deadly virus," said British Health Secretary Matt Hancock.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:11   #4868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
does any other state have similar stats available?
Recoveries are quite good in almost all the states, including the frontrunner Maharashtra. However, cases in MH which has seen constant decline since the last 1 week saw an increase by around 33% on yesterday. National numbers were also down yesterday by ~8.5% but today again the numbers are up.

The Coronavirus Thread-covid_stats_280421.jpg

Source: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:12   #4869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I am wondering how long this SARS-COV2 pandemic is going to continue. If this virus keeps mutating, and it will, and keeps making more and more effective variants, it is going to affect a huge fraction of the human population quite seriously. Will this continue for a few years, decades or forever?

To the molecular biologists / vaccine experts out there - will we ever get a vaccine effective against all variants? Is such a thing in the works somewhere? Do we know of any synthetic organism that keeps mutating and producing an immune response against deadlier organisms without harmful effects (chicken pox vs small pox type of response)?

What does the future look like?
As an average citizen watching the world go by it looks like it is here to stay into the near future. I have accepted that reality and prepared mentally for it. Yearly boosters could be a thing of the future. I think you know that already.

I don't think anyone could give an absolute answer to your questions because if there are people who can answer then they are better off finding a cure of this and not hanging around this thread
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:15   #4870
BHPian

My in-laws caught COVID19 yesterday around 20+ days post the second vaccine. They had been vaccinated with covidshield. They had been at home till about 15 days post vaccination and went only to purchase groceries (masked I may add) and I guess that's the infection came from.

Would recommend people continue to take all precautions even post taking the vaccine. There is much yet to be learnt about the virus and its transmission. The added risks of mutations remain.
arakhanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:19   #4871
Senior - BHPian

Belying the general belief that fitness can be an antidote to Corona, an extremely fit, athletic and physically active friend (38 yrs) succumbed to this mad mad disease in New Delhi.

He was an avid marathoner, cyclist and fitness enthusiast. Was financially well off too. Sadly, he couldn't find appropriate treatment avenues in time.

As i had not been in regular touch with him for a while, the exact details are still sketchy. But we were told that had he been hospitalized in time, he could have survived.

The curse of Corona and the ineptness of the system refuse to die: the killing goes on unabated.
dailydriver is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:23   #4872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Belying the general belief that fitness can be an antidote to Corona,
Wave 2 and the current mutant in India has buried that myth long back that fit and healthy have lesser chances to contact Covid. There have been so many cases all around the country including some very fit celebrity fitness freaks who tested positive. Few in my own circles too!

Wave 2 is all about following the prescribed precautions, much more seriously than anyone thought till now - Mask properly and as much as possible, stay put inside your home and step out only when absolutely necessary. Guess if all become serious to this extent, we may have hope that the numbers will start coming down.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:23   #4873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Found this website

http://covidindiaupdates.in/

More stats available.
ecenandu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:38   #4874
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post

Definitely, don't take it lightly and throw caution to the wind, but equally, dont believe everything that's shown in the media. Numbers are a reflection of our large population. That's why, as I mentioned in earlier posts, look for statistics that give you the population adjusted rates.

Never look for population adjusted rates for things like death. Let me repeat that - NEVER look for population adjusted death rates, especially in India, where all statistics are famously fudged. It helps absolutely noone to dilute the reality. Do you think hospitals will magically be all right and have beds if you show them per capita rates? It is the absolute numbers that count, because your suffering isn't going to be divided between your fellow citizens. It is you, and only you. The only reason to give per capita statistics is to create a false sense of complacency and 'sab changa si' or 'all is well'.
Kln is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:40   #4875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Found this website

http://covidindiaupdates.in/

More stats available.
You will find many but all of them take data from MOHFW and produce the statistics. Even last year we had so many come up, including apps. Many such sites died.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks