Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2021, 18:43   #4621
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Phase 3 trials might not have been out in early March, but there was enough clinical data available for a physician to ascertain the benefits vs side effects of the vaccine.
Finally so much of the vaccine and time got wasted.
Also new data shows great efficacy for both covishield and covaxin in preventing serious infection after vaccination.
https://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...93d42e0ee575cf
Its good that the final results were positive for Covaxin. You can already see the commotion the blood clots issue is causing for Covishield - this is 5 cases in a Million. Imagine if some side effect like that had come of the Covaxin.

When any drug/vaccine( or even a vehicle ) is released in the market, we assume that it has cleared all the mandatory testing and trust it. In this case, the haste to release it destroyed that trust. If I remember right, there was also some declaration to be signed for taking Covaxin which made people question/doubt it even more.

Anyways, good that its all history now and we can now focus on the production and distribution.
m8002? is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 20:35   #4622
bkc
BHPian

Wave 2.0 Covid situation in your city

Hi,
As you all know, the wave 2.0 of covid is very harsh on people. Most of the hospitals are full and the chances of getting a bed with ventilator/oxygen support is next to Nil, here in Bengaluru.

I live in a apartment complex with 30 houses and one person with symptoms had tested positive for the virus. Somehow, he managed to get a bed but, the remdesivir injections are nowhere to find. Some say, the injections are selling for as high as 31k but still, no guarantee of genuinity. The situation is so bad that, affordability, is nomore a question.

Most of them, though tested positive, can still manage without hospitalisation, as their symptoms are manageable.

However, in fewer cases, where the symptoms are very bad, the fear of losing a loved one, makes me weak. Even though you are ready to risk it all, by selling everything, including yourself (I mean it), it is still not enough.

Read in the news, few days ago, a doctor, with her contacts, could find a bed for her ailing father, but couldn't get the remdesivir. (Though remdesivir is not mandatory)
If she, being a doctor, couldn't find a medicine for her father, who are we?? She lost him.

The per day positive cases are also increasing rapidly, and is now nearing 22k per day in Bengaluru.

Request, members to post their contacts to get remdesivir for covid patients.

attaching, remdesivir distributor list , if it helps.

Request mods to merge the thread, if this separate thread is not needed for wave 2.0
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Remdesivir-Distributor-List.pdf (308.5 KB, 474 views)

Last edited by bkc : 21st April 2021 at 20:38.
bkc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 21:40   #4623
Senior - BHPian

Just a query folks,I had tested positive for COVID way back in the 2nd week of February with very mild symptoms, no fever or any body pain etc, just a bit of cold and sore throat. In fact my CT value was around 27, so I think it wasnt that severe. I was put on a course of Favipiravir,even though I felt it was not necessary, but anyway went ahead basis the doctors recommendation. And I tested -ve on the 12th day, so around the 3rd week of February.

Now, since last night I have been having fever, between 98-99, not sure if its a stomach bug since I had some food from outside last night. And thru the day today I have been having body tiredness in general. Have been taking dolo 650, but the question I have on my mind is if I have been infected again with COVID within 45-50 days timeline.
I looked up a lot of articles on the internet and most people seem to suggest that there is immunity for the first 6 months at least. So should I be worried? Or could it be just a seasonal flu or fever due to the stomach bug?
Old 21st April 2021, 22:24   #4624
BHPian

Re: Wave 2.0 Covid situation in your city

Hi,
As far as I know Remdesvir is not life saving or essential to treat COVID. Yes there is one large scale study proving its effective but many small scale study doesn't replicate the same findings. Please don't go by what's shown in the media.
This time the infective rates are high and rapidity with which its spreading in my city is also alarming but I don't think the mortality rate is higher than last time and definitely not to the extent of what I saw abroad.
Just to add I am part of a team handling COVID cases and most of us in the team do not support using remdesvir for all covid patients and definitely not as a routine.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 22:53   #4625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I looked up a lot of articles on the internet and most people seem to suggest that there is immunity for the first 6 months at least. So should I be worried? Or could it be just a seasonal flu or fever due to the stomach bug?
No intention of scaring you but Karnataka CM caught Covid-19 for the second time this month. I think he had caught Covid-19 in August 2020 the last time. It maybe a good idea to get tested if it lasts for more time since they are talking of some new variant strains etc.
Old 21st April 2021, 23:23   #4626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Some say, the injections are selling for as high as 31k but still, no guarantee of genuinity. The situation is so bad that, affordability, is nomore a question.
Last year Gilead fought tooth & nail to prove Ramdesvir (the 8-year-old drug) is effective against COVID-19. Could be its Indian licensees promoting this time. It is an anti-viral injection but its effectiveness against covid-19 is not proven. The question is whether it is effective in 31K INR price tag. Surprising that the doctors don't have an alternative treatment. Recommending Ramdesvir seems to be a last throw of dice by doctors.
Quote:
Read in the news, few days ago, a doctor, with her contacts, could find a bed for her ailing father, but couldn't get the remdesivir. (Though remdesivir is not mandatory)
If she, being a doctor, couldn't find a medicine for her father, who are we?? She lost him.
Thats a nice modern fable. Again would Ramdesvir have helped?
Quote:
The per day positive cases are also increasing rapidly, and is now nearing 22k per day in Bengaluru.
What were the total tests done to get 22K +ves? If 44K tests done & 22K are +ve, isn't it the same as the total of 10K tests & 5K +ve like a few days back? In the same way, we can do 20 lakhs tests per day and claim a million +ves a day (maybe for Guinness record). The point is total +ve case number is a piece of useless standalone information.

Last edited by msdivy : 21st April 2021 at 23:26.
msdivy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 23:36   #4627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
No intention of scaring you but Karnataka CM caught Covid-19 for the second time this month. I think he had caught Covid-19 in August 2020 the last time. It maybe a good idea to get tested if it lasts for more time since they are talking of some new variant strains etc.

Yes, im aware that 2nd infection is quite possible after the initial immunity period of 5-6 months. But in my case its only been 50 days, hence the doubt.
Old 22nd April 2021, 00:00   #4628
BHPian

Quote:
Now, since last night I have been having fever, between 98-99, not sure if its a stomach bug since I had some food from outside last night. And thru the day today I have been having body tiredness in general. Have been taking dolo 650, but the question I have on my mind is if I have been infected again with COVID within 45-50 days timeline.
Hi,
From what I know the immunity after getting infected once can last up to 6 months which is not a hard rule. Having said that getting infected within a span of 50 days is extremely unlikely. It can be another bug and not COVID in all probability. But treat this with due diligence and appropriate level of care. And kindly get in touch with a doctor who can examine you in case it worsens and stop using Prof.Google for self diagnosis.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 00:01   #4629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Editorial does not mean a scientific journal gets to spread baseless conspiracies. If we allow editorial to be anything, what next? Articles on flat earth or irreducible complexity? Editorial is not a place for baseless thing and despite what you may believe, it does not belong in professional journals.
In do far as I have covered the news from my mother country over the past year, the comment was nothing new, and absolutely fair. Your opinion may vary. Write an article and get it published.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 00:12   #4630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Both of these articles are third rate and highly unscientific. Lot of accusations without any evidence. Take for example, The BMJ editorial, which states "Government appointees are able to ignore or cherry pick science". Which government appointee? What is the exact instance of cherry picking? Another example in the same article, "Politicians and industry are responsible for this opportunistic embezzlement. So too are scientists and health experts." Which health experts? This is just a conspiracy article which does not belong in a scientific journal. But, maybe the BMJ is not a scientific journal. Ditto the second article. Name and shame if you have evidence. Otherwise, don't spread unfounded conspiracies.
Both articles are editorials. Every scientific journal has editorial articles which give perspective on the particular issues of concern. There are references quoted within the articles to support that viewpoint. Besides, one simply doesn't become an editor in chief of medical scientific journals, unless one had the credentials and background required for the same. Editorial articles are supposed to leave you thinking (about what has been done, not been done, could have been done differently) - the expression is subjective, hence someone may find it polarising. They have indirectly named and shamed the system ruled by administrative powers - it's not their expertise to shame the person behind the system. Besides, these are merely 2 articles - there are hundreds of such published in the last year which systematically bring out the failed policies and knee jerk strategies of governments worldwide.
Zen2001 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 01:27   #4631
Senior - BHPian

I am seeing more accquaintainces getting COVID positive this time around, not just in Kolkata but even among the ones I interact remotely. This means more people getting infected for sure and also on the other hand more cases are getting officially registered.

My 2 paisa advice is below
  • wear masks the right way
  • keep hands clean and develop touch awareness (How to travel with precautions as India opens up)
  • maintain healthy life with regular natural portions of protein and vitamin
  • avoid un-necessary going out (what you consider necessary is up to you)
  • and last by not the least, keep your eyes off those news sources reporting rising COVID
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 01:47   #4632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, since last night I have been having fever, between 98-99, not sure if its a stomach bug since I had some food from outside last night.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Since normal body temperature is supposed to be 98.6, why are you calling 98-99 as a fever?
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 02:07   #4633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
There was an opportunity window on voting days of state assembly election when vaccination could've been administered in the voting booth itself. A big number of opting adults could've been covered in state like TN when election happened on 6th April.

A friend of mine suggested this to a very senior official in Chennai corporation during a chance meet before the elections. The official mentioned that there won't be necessary infrastructure to administer vaccine and monitor people like in a hospital. Besides any complications post vaccination cannot be handled outside a hospital either. Hence they couldn't proceed with this option.
pacman2881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 08:56   #4634
Team-BHP Support

To the resident docs on the forum - is it advisable to have vitamin C and Zinc tablets on a daily basis to boost immunity?
Old 22nd April 2021, 09:25   #4635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Just to add I am part of a team handling COVID cases and most of us in the team do not support using remdesvir for all covid patients and definitely not as a routine.
How do you arrive at such a decision? There is a committee that sits on a proposal, there is a debate that follows, or, you refer to publications, peer discussions? Like how is the decision to "use or not use" a drug in a hospital, arrived at? I hope my query is clear? Like, in NCR, some doctors will prescribe "ivermectin" while some "don't believe in it". How exactly, (except personal discretion) are these (in some cases, probably life changing) decisions arrived at?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks