Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 10:19   #4336
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is unnecessary stress and heartburn. When a relative of mine tested positive and was home quarantined in a room for two weeks last September, the doctors told his wife and two daughters need not test unless they had any symptoms.
Hmm, I thought it was the reverse. Doesn't *not* testing lead to uncertainty and ambiguity, which is probably a stress in itself?

If I was asymptomatic but tested positive (which by the way, is about 80% of the cases in this wave in India, from what I read), I don't think I would actually be unhappy. In fact, I would be assured to know that my immune system is working. It also means that I am probably protected for some duration in the future, and probably much better off when a new strain comes in the future. Even in the longer term, probably due to T-cells. Right?

Unless, the reason is to reduce the unnecessary load on the testing infrastructure. That, kind of makes sense.
PearlJam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 10:52   #4337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Hmm, I thought it was the reverse. Doesn't *not* testing lead to uncertainty and ambiguity, which is probably a stress in itself?

If I was asymptomatic but tested positive (which by the way, is about 80% of the cases in this wave in India, from what I read), I don't think I would actually be unhappy. In fact, I would be assured to know that my immune system is working. It also means that I am probably protected for some duration in the future, and probably much better off when a new strain comes in the future. Even in the longer term, probably due to T-cells. Right?

Unless, the reason is to reduce the unnecessary load on the testing infrastructure. That, kind of makes sense.
I second you. I am busy, so unable to reply to some of the posts up there. But I too have been saying this since day 1 of the pandemic last year that why should we really worry when 80+% of the individuals are asymptomatic ?? Isn't it better that a disease that has entered your body is not producing any symptoms because of immune system at work ?? Besides, it is now nearly proven that asymptomatic people carry the least or no risk of spreading the disease to others. If it were like Ebola, Zika where in the manifestations are deadly and fatality rate is high, then the fear and panic and lockdown are justified. This whole paranoid approach towards Covid again and again is just not done. Let me tell you, the recent surge in cases in Mumbai and Pune ( highest in the country ) are majorly asymptomatic or very mildly symptomatic. Had we ever isolated ourselves for 14+ days for something as minor as a runny nose,sore throat or two spikes of fever earlier ?? Can't understand why cannot we just live with Covid and get on with life. This disease is never ever gonna go. Lets admit and treat only those patients who require oxygen and the lungs are severely affected.
vivek95 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 10:52   #4338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
So we are at a daily of 93k cases. I was wondering if there's a statistic, as to how many of this 93k, are repeat infection cases. Do our In House docs have anything to say about this? I am going back to a regime of regular supplements and stuff. I vaccinated my mother (covishield) and she's had nasty side effects for 5 days now and slowly getting normal. I am eligible but can't make up my mind. It's coming back at a frightening pace. Herd immunity and other theories seem like Robin Cooks work of fiction. I am sure he's penning one on the pandemic!
My personal experience of working in the radiology department of a top corporate hospital in Thane is that repeat infections are negligible. Atleast can assure repeat infections are not severe. I am not able to recall a single case in the last 6 months with reinfection for CT scan testing of lungs. Some people get positive RTPCR report the secone time too but they are negative for covid on the CT scans.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 10:57   #4339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post

And don't forget about false positives as well. That is one more reason for not testing unnecessarily.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 12:15   #4340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Besides, it is now nearly proven that asymptomatic people carry the least or no risk of spreading the disease to others.
Let me tell you, the recent surge in cases in Mumbai and Pune ( highest in the country ) are majorly asymptomatic or very mildly symptomatic.
The above two statements seem contradictory.

My question is: If most of the people are asymptomatic, and asymptomatic people carry the least or no risk of spreading the disease to others - then why are the "official" numbers rising so high? It can't be just due to false positives. So many celebrities seems to be testing positive nowadays - is it because all of them are working with symptomatic people around them? If so, then it should be easy to avoid atleast a majority of these symptomatic people, since we can "see" their symptoms?

Once again, thank you and other doctors for your valuable opinions from ground zero! Really appreciate the time/effort taken to educate us here!

Last edited by PearlJam : 4th April 2021 at 12:19.
PearlJam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 23:49   #4341
Distinguished - BHPian

From doing a fair amount of research, these are what I've gathered: most people show symptoms / onset around the 5th day. If you have come in contact with someone who has tested positive, keeping in mind a buffer period, testing on 7th day or later will give more accurate results. Often testing too early could give a negative result, which people assume means they're safe & can continue with routine life - only to fall ill shortly thereafter and probably risking spreading it to others.

Doctors advise testing only when symptomatic (even mild symptoms) as the test will be accurate then. If no symptoms & isolation for 14 days - you could have an asymptomatic infection or no infection - in case of the former, it would have naturally healed and you're good to go!
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 08:04   #4342
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Despite taking the utmost precautions, I caught the bloody Covid-19! Am isolated on 3rd floor house with everyone else on the 1st floor house. My result came in yesterday. Strange virus - waves of weakness & chills come and go.

02 is holding steady at the 97 - 98 level. Have started the standard 5 - 6 medicines.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 08:06   #4343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Despite taking the utmost precautions, I caught the bloody Covid-19! Am isolated on 3rd floor house with everyone else on the 1st floor house. My result came in yesterday. Strange virus - waves of weakness & chills come and go.

02 is holding steady at the 97 - 98 level. Have started the standard 5 - 6 medicines.
Take care - you will be fine soon. Don’t worry. It’s is privilege to be able to isolate in a house separate from other family members- key is to ensure your mom does not come close to you.

Last edited by Hayek : 7th April 2021 at 08:07.
Hayek is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 08:11   #4344
BHPian

Quote:

Take care. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 08:51   #4345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Despite taking the utmost precautions, I caught the bloody Covid-19!
So the fact that most of them catching up with this virus despite of all precautions is true. Only in the last weeks we have been reading about so many celebrities, sportspersons, fitness freaks and politicians tweeting about them being tested positive.

The second wave for sure is more stronger and spreading its tentacles far more than we had ever thought.

Take care and wishing you a speedy recovery!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:06   #4346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you had taken all 'normal' precautions, one of the few remaining ways you could have caught it is from test-driving cars .

Maybe a good idea to trace/notify all those who may have driven the same car before/after you.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:09   #4347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Take care GTO! In Mumbai it is really spreading like a wildfire and a lot of people are catching it now. My Brother in law had caught it in the first wave and had breathing difficulty and was hospitalized for 7 days. Hope that it does not affect you badly - please be sure to take steam inhalation so that the mucus does not harden. There are also some good prone breathing exercises which help evacuate the lungs from mucus. Keep a close watch on your blood oxygen levels. Hope you have a good doctor in your family who you can consult.
Also high vitamin C supplements like Amla and Aloe vera juice are also helpful in boosting the body's immunity. Do keep us posted.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:11   #4348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Right precaution to take. Keep the elderly separated as far as possible horizontally and vertically. All best wishes for your recovery. You are young and fit so its only a matter of time.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:14   #4349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Take care Rush! Speedy recovery!
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:26   #4350
BHPian

Quote:
Get well soon Rush. Take care.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks