Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 12:59   #4306
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

I guess our health services would be swamped if it were open to all. Even when second lot got approved for seniors, you saw the chaos that ensued at places.

But BAR council asking to be treated as forntline workers seemed selfish to me.

And donating vaccines to other needy countries is a great gesture i think.
Old 5th March 2021, 13:16   #4307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I view it differently. Have not been able to understand why the Govt is limiting the vaccination to groups and going serially. First it was only health care workers and those on the frontline. Now it is over 60 and those above 45 with co-morbidities. And only now after several weeks that a limited number of private hospitals/clinics are permitted to vaccinate. We have no shortage of the vaccine.
Its more of political decision than scientific.
If government opens vaccination to all, accusation of favouring certain section at expense of poor will come. Hence government has chosen this easy path.
FrozeninTime is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 14:50   #4308
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Sadly our Courts are being forced to play the role of the balancing opposition.
I feel this is another instance of the Courts trying to run a shadow government impringing on the administrative decisions of the government. Not everything in this country has to be decided by Courts and advocates and the whole incident basically reeks of selfishness and prodding the government to give them special priority.

The Courts have time and again proven they are capable of doing everything except their primary work of clearing pending litigation.

There clearly ain't 1.3 *2 billion doses going around . Also the manpower to vaccinate such a huge population or its accompanying logistics like cold storage and transport at the same time simply does not exist.

And whatever is exported is drop in the bucket. The government deserves kudos for adopting a need based and risk based order of vaccination . Other wise there would be a huge line of rich and powerful trying to bye pass the queue leading to allegations of bias and resulting bribery .

I wonder how the Court could order the vaccine firms to give a statement of their production capacity. These are private firms and Courts can't order them to produce more or determine whom the vaccine is to be sold to.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 5th March 2021 at 14:55.
Ragavsr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 15:50   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I feel this is another instance of the Courts trying to run a shadow government impringing on the administrative decisions of the government...

I wonder how the Court could order the vaccine firms to give a statement of their production capacity. These are private firms and Courts can't order them to produce more or determine whom the vaccine is to be sold to.
OT:
Relax! This is nothing but a PR exercise. Our courts need to be seen as fair and forward looking. They also need to look like they are working for the common man. They pass diktats like "All potholes shall be filled within 48 hours" routinely, and our BBMP just ignores every court order - it is just a game. After this "ruling", everyone knows that India exports / donates vaccines, brand equity of Indian vaccine companies just went up, and what a shrewd government and how generous, donating and selling vaccines to all the nations without reservations; and the courts, like the sales and marketing department may do nothing about the customer's issues, but they can make themselves and the nation look really democratic! Of course, no one should order courts to work on the tasks assigned to them and fix their mountain high backlog of pending cases!
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 17:59   #4310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ... Why can it not be opened to all and be permitted to be injected by thousands of hospitals/clinics instead of a list numbering in hundreds ...
I believe it is now in thousands, with the opening up to private hospitals coinciding with the vaccination of 60-plus age group as of 1 March. That list may have been limited, but I think I read today, to the effect, "any private hospital that can fulfil the protocol."

I can't argue the pros and cons, but I think other countries have been targetting higher-risk groups as a priority too. Of course, if I was ten years younger, I'd be a little frustrated right now.

I'm wondering about the demand? The private hospital I visited on Wednesday didn't have much of a queue.
Old 5th March 2021, 20:09   #4311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I think you are mistaken about the power conferred on a court. The court certainly has full authority to do all those things regardless of whether the company is public of private.
Old 5th March 2021, 20:42   #4312
BHPian

Why is the Covid vaccine thread closed? All vaccine related posts could have continued in that thread. Anyway, just passing on some vaccination related procedural information (without debating pros/cons) for those interested - list of "approved" comorbid conditions, registration on CoWin etc.

The registration video "tutorial" (narrated in Marathi) is uploaded at while the list of approved comorbid conditions is attached as an image, which needs a doctor's certification.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-img20210301wa0000.jpg  

Old 5th March 2021, 21:58   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Why is the Covid vaccine thread closed? All vaccine related posts could have continued in that thread.
It's not closed. Here it is:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...riences-8.html (Covid-19 Vaccine | Registration & Experiences)
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 22:44   #4314
BHPian

Was tested Covid positive in the month of Jan along with my dad and maternal grandfather, who is staying with us since long time. But, unfortunately, dad got admitted in the hospital due to lungs infection and fortunately, this wasn't an issue as the doctor gave some injections to him, which was given for 5 days and he got discharged on 5th day itself.

While I and my grandfather were asymptomic but, unfortunately, I had lost the smell though I didn't lose the taste and I got my smell back after a week.

Except mom, who was tested negative, we all were tested positive.
car_guy1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 14:48   #4315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
I was referring to the original Covid 19 vaccine thread which is now closed - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ne-thread.html (The Covid-19 Vaccine Thread)

Was not aware that a new thread has started - I wonder why, though. Thanks anyway!
Old 14th March 2021, 21:11   #4316
BHPian

We should be looking at vaccinating the ‘productive’ population instead of the seniors only, though I understand the need to push vaccination among the seniors to avoid hospitals getting overwhelmed.

Which leads me to question the needless and foolish ‘large heartedness’ in giving away valuable doses to countries in the quest for ‘soft power’. Misguided steps all-around.
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 05:59   #4317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
We should be looking at vaccinating the ‘productive’ population instead of the seniors only, though I understand the need to push vaccination among the seniors to avoid hospitals getting overwhelmed.

Which leads me to question the needless and foolish ‘large heartedness’ in giving away valuable doses to countries in the quest for ‘soft power’. Misguided steps all-around.
This largesse towards the other countries is simply to outmanoeuvre the Chinese and is indeed misguided as of now. Most experts even in TV debates are agreeing that vaccination must be opened up to those who want it along with those who need it. I heard a most "sane" debate on Republic TV yesterday when Arnab also pushed back at the ruling party spokesperson who was claiming that vaccinating everyone was a tall order and it took so many years to bring about success in polio etc.
On the other hand, I am wondering a bit and the medical experts can guide here- are most of the cases in Maharashtra are triggered due to general change of weather symptoms, typical cold/headache/fatigue, coupled with the fact that the virus is now endemic (but may not be active) in people's system and is being detected due to the RTPCR ?
Old 15th March 2021, 06:46   #4318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
This largesse towards the other countries is simply to outmanoeuvre the Chinese and is indeed misguided as of now...

On the other hand, I am wondering a bit and the medical experts can guide here- are most of the cases in Maharashtra are triggered due to general change of weather symptoms, typical cold/headache/fatigue, coupled with the fact that the virus is now endemic (but may not be active) in people's system and is being detected due to the RTPCR ?
Sending vaccines to other countries is as important as funding our defense infrastructure at the cost of even other essential expenditure on our citizens. Soft power is just as strategic as any other foreign policy.

Coming to the hype about Maharashtra or any other region being a hotbed of covid19 cases, I am of the opinion that any data is highly suspect and any analyses off such data is equally suspect. I could be wrong, but given my general distrust of government mandated data collection, that too under motivated political bosses, it is more likely that the data has been fudged.
mvadg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 23:13   #4319
Senior - BHPian

Just an observation - India's Feb 2021 cases are a reflection of Jun 2020 and Mar 2021 seems to be a replica of July 2020 cases. At this rate, we will hit a peak around mid-May 2021.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:26   #4320
Distinguished - BHPian

So on one hand several state governments are 'warning' people, threatening lockdowns again; some districts/regions have already enforced their versions of what they think works. And in other parts of the country ALL parties (ruling, opposition, local state government parties, including those parties that the state governments who are busy warning people belong to) are holding election rallies with massive crowds.

I guess the coronavirus skips those "politician/party-sanctioned" events and only spreads at other places and occasions, like open air parks which are now being shut in a few places. And of course at night, hence the very useful night curfews. Must be a new variant/strain that behaves in this very selective way.

All very scientific.

Last edited by am1m : 18th March 2021 at 10:31.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks