Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2021, 22:55   #4171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Wife got her first covishield shot last week, along with other staff at the hospital she works for. 2 days of some pain in the arm, and a feverish feeling. Apparently, the male staff members experienced milder symptoms. Second shot in 28 days.

On another note, am in my home-town, a taluka place in interior Karnataka. Hardly anyone wearing a mask, and definitely no social distancing. Life is business as usual. Though I did see a couple of women on their evening walks wearing a cloth mask. It's like people who wear a mask are looked at
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 10:10   #4172
BHPian

ICMR study on Covaxin shows a comparable neutralization activity of the vaccinated individuals against UK-variant strain.
Attached Images

Old 27th January 2021, 11:37   #4173
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this question - Nevertheless,

My friend's parents are to fly from Chennai to Madurai over this weekend. Is a Covid-negative report mandatory?

Been reading different views - wherein, since it is a intra-state (TamilNadu) flight, the test is not required.

Any idea?

Thanks!
Old 27th January 2021, 11:43   #4174
BANNED

How have so many people in this thread already got vaccinated? All you are all healthcare professionals? Or have they already started vaccinating people who aren't aren't healthcare professionals?

Any idea when it will trickle down to common folk?
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:44   #4175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
My friend's parents are to fly from Chennai to Madurai over this weekend. Is a Covid-negative report mandatory?

Been reading different views - wherein, since it is a intra-state (TamilNadu) flight, the test is not required.

Any idea?

Thanks!
A friend of mine came from Mumbai to Coimbatore in last week of December. My brother-in-law and family came from Mumbai to Coimbatore last week. They did not have to get any Covid negative results for this. Also, in December, they took a swab for my friend and asked for ePass etc., but last week there were no such formalities for my brother-in-law and family. So, I think there is no need to worry. Worst case, they may take a test swab in the airport on arrival and let them pass.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:52   #4176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How have so many people in this thread already got vaccinated? All you are all healthcare professionals? Or have they already started vaccinating people who aren't aren't healthcare professionals?

I don't think any non-essential worker has got the vaccine. Everyone here who has posted about getting the same is a healthcare worker only so far.

W.r.t roll-out for general populace, our politicians and news channels will go all guns blazing to take credit for the same the moment plans are materialized. So we will know it immediately
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 12:12   #4177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsynch View Post
ICMR study on Covaxin shows a comparable neutralization activity of the vaccinated individuals against UK-variant strain.
Looks like ICMR is jumping the gun (yet again)!

Bharat Biotech had submitted data compiled from the Phase 1 and Phase 2 trials to medrXiv, a pre-print NON-PEER reviewed research repository, in December 2020. The newly published peer-reviewed paper in "The Lancet" adds technical details to the preprint paper, of the same phase 1 trial of BBV152, that was previously available online. By way of a broad summary, to quote directly from the paper: “BBV152 led to tolerable safety outcomes and enhanced immune responses. Both Algel-IMDG formulations were selected for phase 2 immunogenicity trials. Further efficacy trials are warranted.”

ICMR, being a partner in development of this vaccine (based on a SARS-CoV-2 strain isolated by NIV, Pune) faces a serious conflict of interest as also acting as a govt authority to certify anything (positive or negative) related to this vaccine.

After going on record to publish the need for further efficacy trials, the same author/s are assuming hypothesised results against multiple strains which they themselves have not factored in their own study! Remember, no neutralisation studies were ever published before running to get the restricted EUA (in strict clinical trial mode) for Covaxin.

The sole premise of the theory of its POSSIBLE efficacy against other mutant strains (other than the one isolated, on which it is based) is that it contains the complete virus genome (which has mutated in mutant strains) rather than only subunits (spike protein or receptor binding domains). Hence, ICMR (& BB) theorise that Covaxin can generate antibodies against multiple proteins instead of spikes alone which in theory suggests that it MIGHT have a better chance against the mutated variants.

A senior official at the ICMR was quoted saying “To check whether that happens, we will use the vaccine using the culture of virus variants, cell lines and the vaccine." Perhaps, going back to studies on why viruses do not satisfy all of (Robert) Koch's postulates would have stopped them in their tracks before making such claims.

Independent and unbiased experts expressed their apprehensions that such an experiment can only be in-vitro neutralisation data — comparing between the UK or South Africa strain and the Covid-19 strains that have remained dominant so far. Simply put, this means that in vitro results achieved in viral cultures CANNOT BE assumed to be the same in-vivo (human body).

"What is needed, at least, is to use say sera from RBD vaccine immunised individuals and whole virus vaccine immunised individuals and see if the former group is extremely poor in blocking the variant viruses,” said a virologist from a government institution who did not wish to be named.

Quote:

HCW → sanitation workers → those above 50 WITH co morbidities → general population - is govt's vaccine rollout plan, as of now. But considering the govt's penchant to politicize anything & everything, I wouldn't be surprised if that changed overnight.

I am a "HCW", but have not registered myself for vaccination simply based on my personal assessment of lack of significant additional benefit it might confer in this waning stage, standard precautions we take - Irrespective of the degree of efficacy and safety of the vaccines.

Last edited by Eddy : 28th January 2021 at 11:32. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of back to back posts within 30 minutes on the same thread.
Zen2001 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:07   #4178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
HCW → sanitation workers → those above 50 WITH co morbidities → general population - is govt's vaccine rollout plan, as of now.
Do they list out what co-morbidities are eligible & what is the minimum? My mom is 50+ with hypertension - will she fit the profile? If yes, what does she have to do to get into that queue - how will they know who is 50+ with co-morbidities?
Old 27th January 2021, 16:16   #4179
BHPian

Quote:
Do they list out what co-morbidities are eligible & what is the minimum? My mom is 50+ with hypertension - will she fit the profile? If yes, what does she have to do to get into that queue - how will they know who is 50+ with co-morbidities?
At this stage, nothing needs to be done. As soon as the program reaches that stage (vaccination for population over 50 and with co-morbidities), Co-WIN platform will be made available for registration and processing.

My guesstimate is that it is not going to be started until late Feb.
Gsynch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:40   #4180
Distinguished - BHPian

Covid Vaccine & Seatbelts, a poem

*Regarding the Covid vaccine,

The best simile I could think of is of a seat belt or
an airbag in our cars.

Does it afford good protection - Yes .
Just like vaccine.

Does it protect you hundred percent? -
No.
Just like vaccine.

Does it prevent you from getting an accident?
No -
just like vaccine.

If at all we get into an accident does it reduce severity? -
Yes .
Just like vaccine.

Does it mean you can be reckless and fast?
No -
just like vaccine,
it does not mean that masks can be avoided.

Does a seat belt mean you won't injure others on road?
No -
just like vaccine -
you can still infect others.

When I wear
a seatbelt do
I think of the company making money?
No,
just like vaccine.

Am I happy that someone invented seatbelt?
Oh Yes -
just like vaccine.

Does seatbelt itself cause problems?
Yes,
seatbelt injuries are possible.
Just like vaccines can have side effects.

Should we still wear a seatbelt?
Yes, yes, yes.
Just like a vaccine.

I would surely get a vaccine.
Just like a seatbelt, Vaccine doesn't mean you can be careless and stupid,
it just gives you some amount of protection.
And I am willing to take the risk of minor side effects for the 70% chance of that protection.
So, go get vaccinated!!

*not my creative work but I agree with the contents.
V.Narayan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 18:29   #4181
BHPian

Quote:
Here's what the MOHFW says about the phased vaccine rollout.
1. Those over 50 will need to register first. How/Where/When is yet to be announced.
2. Those under 50 with co morbidities will have to do the same. Again, how/when/where not yet finalised. Also, not known how the govt plans to verify these morbidities and triage accordingly.
3. What will keep you safe for sure - practice Covid appropriate behaviour at all times.
Screenshots attached.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_2021012718070275.jpg  

The Coronavirus Thread-img_20210127_181338.jpg  

The Coronavirus Thread-img_20210127_181210.jpg  

Zen2001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:35   #4182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AseemYadav View Post
Being a doctor and having been at the receiving end of the pandemic for the last one year, these are some of my observations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
I got vaccinated with the Covishield vaccine last friday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Being the frontline Doctor in Covid pandemic, I was offered Covishield few days back to be taken at Apollo, Navi Mumbai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
Just completed vaccination for my wife and myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Wife got her first covishield shot last week, along with other staff at the hospital she works for.
Doctors,
A few relatives in the family who are doctors in interior TN mentioned to us that the vaccination response has been limited and they are allowing folks to get vaccinated if one walks in and requests for it. Especially as the first round also plays as a clinical trial so there are more reasons to get the vaccinations done as much as possible.

I wasn't sure if they were kidding or serious (didn't check) - hence this question to you guys. Is this possible/feasible - any views wrt the scene you observed at your locations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this question - Nevertheless,

Any idea?

Thanks!
We flew from Mumbai to Chennai a week ago - no tests required, no epass checked at airport exit. Same applies for inter-state travel.

Even the airlines have become a little more relaxed - earlier the mid-seat passengers were given a PPE type gown, everyone had to mandatorily wear the faceshield and masks. Now they just keep reminding you to wear the masks. They provide faceshield and masks to all at boarding.

But I suggest getting the epass registration done - it's a 5 mins job online and you get it asap on your mobile.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 13:10   #4183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I wasn't sure if they were kidding or serious (didn't check) - hence this question to you guys. Is this possible/feasible - any views wrt the scene you observed at your locations?
Vaccination has begun at my centre as well and its strictly as per the list of names. ( I skipped mine today again as I tested positive for antibodies with good titre values, the third time ). Its the same elsewhere in Mumbai, nowhere has the general public been able to request for a vaccine shot.
vivek95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 09:19   #4184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Vaccination has begun at my centre as well and its strictly as per the list of names. ( I skipped mine today again as I tested positive for antibodies with good titre values, the third time ). Its the same elsewhere in Mumbai, nowhere has the general public been able to request for a vaccine shot.
Thanks. It doesn't seem to be the case in Tamil Nadu; just saw this news article in the Indian Express today which reconfirms what I heard from my relatives with regards to the vaccination drives in their city too.

Quote:
CHENNAI: The State Health Department has warned private hospitals in the city against administering Covid vaccine on people who are not on the priority list. Dr TS Selvavinayagam, Director of Public Health, sent a circular to the City Health Officer of the Greater Chennai Corporation and Deputy Directors of Health Services in the State, asking them to ensure that private hospitals were vaccinating only those healthcare workers who are registered in the CoWIN portal.

Private hospitals in Chennai have come under the scanner after complaints of “out-of-turn inoculation” of a few VIPs, including an actor. Recently, a photo of a senior journalist, posing after being administered the vaccine in a private hospital, drew criticism after someone posted it on social media and questioned it.

When asked about complaints that certain private hospitals were allegedly permitting influential individuals to get the shots, Selvavinayagam said, “Some private hospitals are doing it. It is definitely not permitted. In fact, we have told them clearly that when it is open to the common man, we will inform where and when to get registered.
Source
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 14:27   #4185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Doctors,

Even the airlines have become a little more relaxed - earlier the mid-seat passengers were given a PPE type gown, everyone had to mandatorily wear the faceshield and masks. Now they just keep reminding you to wear the masks. They provide faceshield and masks to all at boarding.
Flew Indigo a couple of weeks ago between Bangalore and Manipur/Imphal. Middle seats still need PPE type apparel (thin cotton material like the kind you see in carry bags while shopping - and not sure of the efficacy of them to prevent virus transmission - but thats another topic) and masks and face shields. BUT the aircraft was operating at 100% capacity - all seats were full. When I brought it up to the crew, they said they have permission from DCGA to operate at such levels. And there was thermal scanning at Imphal airport but nothing like that in Bangalore airport. No e-passes of anykind were needed either.
gtonsing is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks