Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 18:07   #4126
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Now this is alarming

Over 12,000 People Test Positive For Covid After Taking Pfizer Vaccine In Israel
https://www.outlookindia.com/website...-israel/371342

It seems these vaccines might be similarly efficient or inefficient. Not much data is available at the moment to properly judge which one is better really.

Last edited by joslicx : 21st January 2021 at 18:09.
joslicx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 18:15   #4127
Senior - BHPian

^^ That is consistent with data that Pfizer and Moderna Vaccines are about 95% effective. The article states 6.6% of those who received the vaccine in Israel still got Covid. No vaccine in the world, for whatever disease, is 100% effective. They got Covid despite the vaccine, not because of it.

My son was vaccinated for chickenpox when he was 4. He still got it when he was 9, though in a mild form.

Last edited by Gansan : 21st January 2021 at 18:22.
Gansan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 18:19   #4128
Senior - BHPian

From what i understand (very little honestly), the vaccine needs around two weeks time to properly start protecting your body from the virus? And these people could have contracted the virus before that thinking they are safe and thrown caution to the winds?

Article seems to suggest they tested positive because of the vaccine? Or did i read too much into it?
deathwalkr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 18:38   #4129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I feel for the makers of Covaxin. All their work in developing it is being painted with malice.
Agreed. No doubt their work is as as great as all the various scientists in the world working on their respective vaccines.

I have read before that one of the expected dangers, even with a proved-95% vaccine, is that everybody will consider themselves part of the 95%. Given the numbers involved, there are going to be a lot of the 5%ers. What does it mean? It means normal life does not follow immediately on vaccination.

All the same precautions should be followed. The vaccine has to work at a society level, rather than an individual one: we can consider ourselves safe (whether 95%er or 5%er) when infection levels have fallen to insignificant overall.

We have to extend our thinking beyond our personal boundaries. We even have to extend it beyond our national borders. International travel can screw things up fast.

A nice (as far as I can judge as a layman, but I feel it helped me) overview of test phases etc, in a couple of posts on another forum: here and here.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 19:16   #4130
Senior - BHPian

My brother has taken the Pfizer vaccine in the UK on Jan 1st (Front-line doctor). He is absolutely fine. Everybody, please don't worry. Just take it. It's far better than contracting the deadly virus
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
You are aware, I'm sure, about the Pfizer vaccine deaths in Norway aren't you? - link below. So let's stay with facts and keep our prejudices away from this thread as several read this thread for serious information.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st January 2021 at 22:19. Reason: typos
Sebring is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 19:31   #4131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Now this is alarming

Over 12,000 People Test Positive For Covid After Taking Pfizer Vaccine In Israel
https://www.outlookindia.com/website...-israel/371342

It seems these vaccines might be similarly efficient or inefficient. Not much data is available at the moment to properly judge which one is better really.

https://www.wionews.com/world/israel...vaccine-358242

Only 69 of those 12000 had taken the 2nd dose. The others had only taken the first dose. Even after the 2nd dose, it needs 2 weeks to start protecting.

So this is really meaningless stuff.
carboy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 15:14   #4132
BHPian

Seems prestigious research Journal Lancet has published an article and has given kudos to Covaxin. Safety is not a concern and efficacy is something that is being ascertained.

A shot in the arm for Homegrown BBL?

https://fit.thequint.com/coronavirus...1-trial-lancet
Gsynch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 16:07   #4133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsynch View Post
Seems prestigious research Journal Lancet has published an article and has given kudos to Covaxin.
I don't think Lancet has published an article. The makers of Covaxin have published a study in Lancet. It's the study of the Phase 1 trial results.
carboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:26   #4134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I don't think Lancet has published an article. The makers of Covaxin have published a study in Lancet. It's the study of the Phase 1 trial results.
Please read the news article shared, it says "revealed an interim report published in The Lancet on Thursday, 21 January". So yes there seems to be a report published in Lancet which validates BBL claims.
Gsynch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 19:32   #4135
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Please read the news article shared, it says "revealed an interim report published in The Lancet on Thursday, 21 January". So yes there seems to be a report published in Lancet which validates BBL claims.
As carboy points out, the Lancet itself has not given Covaxin any sort of greenlight or imprimatur. The results of the Phase 1 trial have been published, and the findings seem to be generally positive. The full text is available without any paywall here:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...942-7/fulltext

They have published an article raising questions about the manner in which Covaxin has been rolled out. Full text available here:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...145-8/fulltext
RadixLecti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 20:14   #4136
BANNED

Quote:
So yes there seems to be a report published in Lancet which validates BBL claims.

Could you give a link to the report?
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:50   #4137
BHPian

Quote:
Could you give a link to the report?
I think we have the detailed one here: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...942-7/fulltext

Quoting from the report:

Interpretation
BBV152 led to tolerable safety outcomes and enhanced immune responses. Both Algel-IMDG formulations were selected for phase 2 immunogenicity trials. Further efficacy trials are warranted.
Old 23rd January 2021, 14:53   #4138
BHPian

Finally, some common sense shown by Pune!

Pune: Citizens get relief from wearing masks inside privately owned vehicles while commuting; rules unchanged for cabs and public transport.

https://deccanexpress.co/pune/pune-c...ansport-15510/
Zen2001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:08   #4139
BANNED

Quote:
I think we have the detailed one here: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...942-7/fulltext

Check the authors
Raches Ella - project lead at Bharat Biotech
Krishan Mohan - Executive director at Bharat Biotech
Harsh Jogdand - manager at Bharat Biotech

and so on & so forth.

This is the study published by Bharat Biotech of their phase 1 trials.

It's not a lancet article.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:23   #4140
BHPian

Quote:
Check the authors
Raches Ella - project lead at Bharat Biotech
Krishan Mohan - Executive director at Bharat Biotech
Harsh Jogdand - manager at Bharat Biotech

and so on & so forth.

This is the study published by Bharat Biotech of their phase 1 trials.

It's not a lancet article.
I believe we are going OT here so my last message on this.

Well if you are determined to quote selectively to refute the obvious, i dont have anything else to add but this. You first wanted an article on Lancet which i have shared, which is a peer-review study but you are not considering it, now you are taking few names from the entire list of authors to claim that it is written by BBM only which again is untrue. Here is the full list of authors and many of them are prestigious reseach insitutes like AIIMS, IMS, SRM, PGIs, etc.
Gsynch is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks