Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2020, 12:30   #3946
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

I can't see any immediate availability of vaccine on the streets for us ordinary folk, even the elders among us. I suspect that, as and when it is even possible, I will end up going to a private hospital and paying whatever they charge. And I think that's fine: let those of us who can afford private resource not take from the public resource.

Vaccines have worked miracles. There are several diseases that, once vaccinated, we can be pretty confident we will not catch. But these have been used over time, and their efficacy and side effects are well known. Covid is different. And the proof of the pudding comes not only in the eating, but after the eating too. Not walking out of the vaccination clinic and simply throwing away all the masks and other precautions! If the vaccine[s] is good, we should have hugely reduced numbers and protection will be not only against the disease but also in the reduced possible exposure to it. How long will all that take? I have no idea.

I don't feel like even the beginning of the end is in sight yet.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 18:20   #3947
BHPian

Does anyone know whether all these 'rushed' vaccines are effective beyond a year? Or is this going to be an annual flu-shot kinda thingy?
Old 11th December 2020, 18:37   #3948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Does anyone know whether all these 'rushed' vaccines are effective beyond a year? Or is this going to be an annual flu-shot kinda thingy?
Guess, its to break the current infection cycle. There might be new strains and no one knows if it will continue to be as highly infectious or not.

If the coronaviruses continue to have the crown (they need to, to be called coronavirus ), the current vaccines (most) which identify it by the crown should continue to work ? In addition if they find a good antiviral medication, there might not be a need for a vaccine for most people.

No one knows what will happen in a year Got to go over the current hump.
Old 11th December 2020, 22:48   #3949
Distinguished - BHPian

A piece of history. This guy developed vaccines against both cholera and plague very quickly, more than a hundred years ago...

Waldemar Haffkine: The vaccine pioneer the world forgot
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 11:40   #3950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
An experimental antiviral drug, molnupiravir, may turn out to be a potential cure.
Full article
It'll be May 2021 by the time human trials on this new drug are completed. Better late than never, is what I'd say, and I hope the human trials are very successful.
I have a feeling the mainstream media outlets would only make a passing mention (if at all) of such an important step in finding a cure, or anything similar to this! When the mainstream media deliberately promotes the view that vaccines are the heavenly miracles that can end the pandemic, things such as potential life-saving drugs that prevent death & serious illness due to Covid-19 are completely relegated to the background, if they even find a mention at all.
Another drug with +ve results, though the results are from a preliminary study https://www.pharmiweb.com/press-rele...ction-of-cells
Though there is hardly any coverage in the media, the stock price of this has doubled since the announcement.
whitewing is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:21   #3951
BHPian

Not trying to sound political here but the irresponsibility of the leaders is really bad for the covid situation in India.

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...861878018.html

This gentleman was in rallies attended by thousands without any masks or distancing in west bengal recently. I feel really sad for the people in the rallies because while this guy will get the best treatment money can buy, the rest will not.

If these people continue their election rallies like this without protocols, India will never get out of this covid phase. I really wish people had better common sense in our country to put their family health above their political belief.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 13:43   #3952
Senior - BHPian

Wow, yet another app !! After AptaMitra (KA Govt) and ArogyaSetu (Central Govt), now CoWin from Union Health Ministry

CoWin: A mobile app for Indians to get Covid-19 vaccine

Quote:
The Aarogya Setu app was launched in April. But the app actually had its beginning in another smartphone application project in March -- CoWin-20.
This appears like Hollywood scriptwriters creating a prequel to their potboiler

Link of all apps recommended by KA Govt for Covid-19 pandemic - https://covid19.karnataka.gov.in/new...pplications/en
(I thought there was only AptaMitra. But there are more)

Last edited by msdivy : 15th December 2020 at 13:51. Reason: Added KA Govt apps.
Old 17th December 2020, 12:51   #3953
Team-BHP Support

This chilling news item tells why USA has 19% of cases in the world, while having only 4% of world population.

Chris Hayes on MSNBC: "Donald Trump and our government under his leadership explicitly pursued a strategy to spread the virus, to get more people sick. They took the side of Covid. They had the same aims as the virus. They were—as I said before—objectively pro-Covid.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...paul-alexander

Last edited by Samurai : 17th December 2020 at 12:54.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 13:05   #3954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Chris Hayes on MSNBC: "Donald Trump and our government under his leadership explicitly pursued a strategy to spread the virus, to get more people sick. They took the side of Covid. They had the same aims as the virus. They were—as I said before—objectively pro-Covid.”
Generally, any ruler won't take chance here, fearing the criticism from the opposition and the media for playing with the lives of the people.

So, what are the likely reasons / intentions behind this alleged pro-covid stand?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 13:36   #3955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This chilling news item tells why USA has 19% of cases in the world, while having only 4% of world population.
The characteristic of Covid is it is highly infectious. One study now estimates that in India a staggering 60% of population may have been infected.

Quote:
India may have missed 90 infections for every detected COVID-19 case
Every Sero survey is pointing that around 35% of India was infected and recovered, with barely any symptom or knowledge of it.

The plain fact is, the more you test, the more you detect cases of Covid. US test numbers are 683,049 per million population (for every 10 people, almost 7 have been tested) which among the developed economies is the 2nd largest (next to UK). It is obvious they will have more number of detected cases.

On the deaths-per-milion-population which is the critical data point - it indicates the medical preparedness, which age group is catching it etc - US is doing badly but better than Belgium, Italy, Spain, UK, and a few other South American countries.

All data source from: worldometers
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 15:22   #3956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
So, what are the likely reasons / intentions behind this alleged pro-covid stand?
It is not alleged, it is a fact. The only question might be if it was carelessness, negligence, or actually intentional. The last seems, to me, the least likely, but, in the USA of the past four years, nothing would surprise me.

Politics. I guess we'd better stick to the virus. And, increasingly, vaccination news?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 16:47   #3957
BHPian

So any news on when we in India are getting the vaccine and which vaccine we will be getting? Or are we waiting for a indigenously developed vaccine?

I heard US, UK and the UAE have already started giving shots.
Old 17th December 2020, 18:00   #3958
Senior - BHPian

I read a news report a few days back Indian government is unlikely to go for Moderna-Pfizer vaccine because of the cost (~ Rs 2750 a shot) and also the related countrywide cold chain requirement to store it at minus 80 degrees C. The most likely candidate is the Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine made here by Serum Institute of India which will likely cost ~Rs 750 per shot. Also it doesn't need such low temperatures for storage. The planned requirement seems to be 600 million doses, which will be sufficient to vaccinate approximately half the population. Experts seem to feel added to the already prevailing sero positivity numbers, this will be sufficient to reach herd immunity level.

No single company is likely to supply all the numbers. Local vaccines may be approved as and when they become available. Even the Pfizer vaccine may become available if they decide produce it locally with some tie up, at lower prices.

The shots may begin as soon as the vaccines become available. Center has recently communicated to states the vaccines are unlikely to be totally side effect free, and be prepared.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 18:38   #3959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I read a news report a few days back Indian government is unlikely to go for Moderna-Pfizer vaccine because of the cost (~ Rs 2750 a shot) and also the related countrywide cold chain requirement to store it at minus 80 degrees C. The most likely candidate is the Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine made here by Serum Institute of India which will likely cost ~Rs 750 per shot. Also it doesn't need such low temperatures for storage. The planned requirement seems to be 600 million doses, which will be sufficient to vaccinate approximately half the population. Experts seem to feel added to the already prevailing sero positivity numbers, this will be sufficient to reach herd immunity level.

No single company is likely to supply all the numbers. Local vaccines may be approved as and when they become available. Even the Pfizer vaccine may become available if they decide produce it locally with some tie up, at lower prices.

The shots may begin as soon as the vaccines become available. Center has recently communicated to states the vaccines are unlikely to be totally side effect free, and be prepared.
Since everyone will need 2 doses, 600 million will cover a quarter of population ! That should cover susceptible population and healthcare people for a start.

I think antibodies/T cells test should be done (outside of elderly) to decide whether to give them shots or not. But not sure how fast these tests can be and the cost.

Last edited by srishiva : 17th December 2020 at 18:39.
Old 17th December 2020, 19:08   #3960
Senior - BHPian

^^ The first and second shots together will count as one vaccination. A single shot does not count. 600 million doses means 600 million people.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks