Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 12:17   #3931
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

I have been to the barber 3 times already ! They keep spraying the seats and wear masks. Customers dont wear masks.

Given the way its become almost normal with people interacting like before only with masks and given the low positive numbers, not sure if most people have already been infected. Test numbers remain same.

Meanwhile, China is busy fixing the origins of the virus

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1209141.shtml

Last edited by srishiva : 7th December 2020 at 12:30.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 22:50   #3932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

2) Use a 2.5 cm wide 3M micropore to stick the mask to your face.

I'm allergic to Micropore tape!

This fact was discovered post-operation in a London hospital: red stripes on my skin where the tape had been. They'd seen it before, some people are, it seems. They used a different brand of tape. Which is what I would do if I followed your excellent plan.

Living Dangerously...

Ate out in a restaurant today. I think it was a bit crazy, but we did. They should make nose masks, so one could protect the nose for breathing whilst eating.

There were very few people. All the plates and dishes were non-reusable.
Old 8th December 2020, 19:55   #3933
BHPian

Some really interesting infographics/data visual representation on the BBC page, found it interesting enough to share it here. If you scroll further down you can see it for each country and India is in the list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources...1-ab94e0ee09fb
Old 8th December 2020, 20:36   #3934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
So some studies pointed out that Covid-19 Antibody levels might start reducing in as less as 1.5 months time or so. Certainly not in my case as they have only gone further up.

On August 8th 2020, I had first done my Total Antibody (IgM+IgG) level that was highly reactive at 46.2 AU/mL ( Arbitrary units/mililitre ). Remember, the cut off value stands at 1.0 AU/mL.

Yesterday on 16th October, 2020, I repeated the test and here are my results ( very very reactive ) -
1. Total Antibody level (IgM+IgG) = 68.8 AU/mL
2. Only IgG in isolation ( more important ) = 69.3 AU/mL

By God's grace, after working in Covid ICU in Mumbai for straight 8 months, I am myself protected and able to protect others as well I believe. Two visits to hometown in last 2 months (Belgaum) and probably my antibody levels have kept my parents and friends safe. Thanking Almighty, and I have already signed up for plasma donation
I have a query regarding you being “able to protect others as well”. Do you mean that you will not carry virus at any point of time since you have high antibody levels. I mean your antibodies might be fighting the new corona virus entering your body and protecting you now, but before the new set of virus that you came in contact are overpowered by your antibodies in your body, is it not possible that you could be sneezing and passing the virus to another person?
I understand that an asymptomatic do pass on the corona virus, but it is less likely in comparison to a symptomatic person.
Also I recently came across a Covid-19 test report form a local govt. hospital. It didn’t mention RT-PCR on it. I asked to clarify if it was a Rapid Antigen test and they said its an RT-PCR as the report mentioned Specimen Type as “Nasopharyngeal & Oropharyngeal” and Rapid Antigen test is conducted only as “Nasopharyngeal”. Is this correct?
Old 9th December 2020, 09:15   #3935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
An experimental antiviral drug, molnupiravir, may turn out to be a potential cure.

I have a feeling the mainstream media outlets would only make a passing mention (if at all) of such an important step in finding a cure, or anything similar to this!
The mainstream media have started coverage of this drug in India now. I read article in IndianExpress today and also see many sites covering it now.

For e.g.
New oral drug Molnupiravir can block COVID-19 transmission within 24 hours, claim researchers - https://www.businesstoday.in/current...ry/424263.html

The results seem promising and a drug over vaccine would always be preferred.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:14   #3936
Senior - BHPian

With numbers in the state slowly coming down over the past few days, i hope and pray that the recently concluded elections will not cause a spike.

As expected, good crowds and people standing in usual queue distances.
Old 9th December 2020, 14:27   #3937
BHPian

Positive news for India with no second wave till now.
https://m.timesofindia.com/india/ind...w/79633854.cms
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 14:44   #3938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Positive news for India with no second wave till now.
https://m.timesofindia.com/india/ind...w/79633854.cms
LOL. I wouldn't believe a single statistic that comes out of 3rd world nations. After all the discussions we've had on this thread about how people don't want to be declared covid positive to avoid being harassed by officials, the way medical staff are being discouraged from putting down the cause of death as Covid-19 etc., I think we should ignore such declarations in the media. I've already stopped buying honey that claims to be "pure"!
mvadg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 19:51   #3939
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
LOL. I wouldn't believe a single statistic that comes out of 3rd world nations.
neither should you be naive enough to believe the stats coming from "1st world" nations either.
venkyhere is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 15:28   #3940
BHPian

Facial paralysis for first recipients of pfizer super cold vaccine. Not an auspicious start.

UK Issues Allergy Warning On Pfizer Vaccine After Adverse Reactions
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/uk-i...ctions-2336595

https://www.india.com/news/world/cov...-here-4256315/

Last edited by WindRide : 10th December 2020 at 15:29.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 00:30   #3941
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post

The results seem promising and a drug over vaccine would always be preferred.
Yes, the results are very promising in ferrets. I can only hope they're as effective in humans. Of course, extensive human trials need to be done to test both the drug's efficacy and for possible side effects in humans.

A drug that's meant to cure is always preferred over a vaccine that's supposed to prevent, especially in a pandemic situation like this.

Why? It's for reasons such as the ones given below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

Facial paralysis for first recipients of pfizer super cold vaccine. Not an auspicious start.

UK Issues Allergy Warning On Pfizer Vaccine After Adverse Reactions
Now, one may ask - Don't drugs have side effects? Sure, many (if not most) drugs do have side effects, at least very mild ones.

Where people lose all perspective is when they cannot differentiate between a drug and a vaccine.

A drug is given only to those who are ill/sick. A vaccine is given to all healthy people and not to the ill/sick.

As such, a side effect or two is tolerable (but not desired!) for a drug because it helps in curing an illness. Side effects and reactions (except very mild ones, such as a swelling at the point of injection) shouldn't be tolerated as far as a vaccine is concerned.

Vaccines are given to healthy people, and should therefore be held to a much higher safety standard than drugs that are given to the sick!

That's why vaccine development & trial normally takes years and years, much more time than that required for drugs. This is the reason why many people who're not opposed to vaccination as such (like myself!) are very wary of rushed vaccines that are readied for use in a tearing hurry.

However, the mainstream media (prodded by big money, such as the world's former richest person) have very successfully drummed into people's minds that vaccines are miracles that have dropped from the heavens to stop the pandemic. Because of this, people who voice genuine, scientific concerns over rushed vaccines (that're readied for use in a tearing hurry) are deliberately and maliciously called names such as "anti-vaxxers".

Last edited by RSR : 11th December 2020 at 00:52.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 08:55   #3942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
neither should you be naive enough to believe the stats coming from "1st world" nations either.
Good catch!
The more I think about it, the more I realize how deeply I'm influenced by western media!
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:43   #3943
Senior - BHPian

Vaccines do not guarantee anything. I recently had to go through a heartbreak. Got a puppy home recently and he was the most energetic and lovable one. He was given vaccines for parvo and the second booster dose all on time.

We made the mistake of taking him out to play in the apartment lawn, thinking that he was safe now that he was given vaccines on time. He loved to play in grass and was not taken to no other place.

30 days after the initial vaccine and 10 days after first booster shot, the puppy developed the parvo virus symptoms and passed away in 2 days. The vaccine gave us a false sense of protection, and the poor puppy had to pay with his life. We were given all kind of excuses like vaccines were only 90% effective, third booster was pending etc.

So please apply your mind. No vaccine is 100% effective and going to give foolproof protection.
poloman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 10:15   #3944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Vaccines do not guarantee anything. I recently had to go through a heartbreak

So please apply your mind. No vaccine is 100% effective and going to give foolproof protection.
You have sidetracked the original comment. The point, that RSR was trying to make, I believe, was that the Covid19 vaccines have not been optimized, like any normal vaccine would be, to weed out the side effects and have been rushed. It is like they gave your puppy a vaccine that had not been properly vetted - the researchers working on the vaccine had not really completed their jobs, but someone came in and said, "that's good enough, and I don't need your opinions, thank you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Yes, the...
Old 11th December 2020, 11:09   #3945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You have sidetracked the original comment. The point, that RSR was trying to make, I believe, was that the Covid19 vaccines have not been optimized, like any normal vaccine would be, to weed out the side effects and have been rushed. It is like they gave your puppy a vaccine that had not been properly vetted - the researchers working on the vaccine had not really completed their jobs, but someone came in and said, "that's good enough, and I don't need your opinions, thank you"
I was not referring to any particular post. Just wanted to convey that people should not think that I have this vaccine and I am completely immune to the virus. Even properly vetted vaccines can fail miserably. It is even more concerning when you have been rushed in.

I by no means is an anti vaxxer. I will also get myself and family get vaccinated for Covid when that is available. But will be always on the watch out.

Last edited by poloman : 11th December 2020 at 11:36.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks