Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2020, 23:51   #3841
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Anyway, thank god that we both recovered without a lot of issues. Hopefully we are both immune for atleast some time.
Thanks for the quick summary and glad you have recovered fully. Would you be ok to share the medicines you were given ?
CCRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 10:41   #3842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
Thanks for the quick summary and glad you have recovered fully. Would you be ok to share the medicines you were given ?
We werent given any special medicines as such. Vitamins B, C, Zinc, Azithromycin. Wife was given racecodotril for the diarrhea. Paracetamol for the fever and headache. Steam inhalation helped with the sore throat and cough.

Whatever precautions we take and whatever work the health workers do, all of it can very easily be defeated by sheer stupidity of our people. Dad is a pediatrician, and a couple brought their 5 year old who was suffering from fever. Both the parents were having fever and dad suspected covid. A few questions brought out their sheer stupidity. Seems they were living in a joint family setup and 2 members in their family had already tested covid positive. These guys themselves were returning from the lab after testing.
They had done some shopping and on the way home, decided to visit the hospital for their childs fever! God knows how many people are infected because of them!
GeneralJazz is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 11:35   #3843
Senior - BHPian

I just hope the virus manages itself better .

Just thought of getting some breakfast from hotel myself. The hotel staff, people, everyone is carefree. The people preparing food, handling parcel have mask only on mouth or not at all. They keep moving it up and down and they themselves are crowded to handle the rush.

Only herd immunity or vaccine can help us.
srishiva is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 12:29   #3844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I just hope the virus manages itself better... .
Actually the virus is improving, it meets adversity and changes itself to do better in future; and on top of that it works very hard, 24/7/365!

On a different note, I've found that it is very uncomfortable to wear any kind of mask, even for short periods of time (another hats off our health care providers who keep them on most of the day). And like some members pointed out earlier, I'm in Bangalore which is cooler than most of India, so it is much more uncomfortable for the rest of India. I am a little surprised that no one has come out with comfortable masks.

I also noticed that most shops have done away with sanitizers at the entrance and do not bother to enforce social distancing rules - it was bound to happen, we are a chalta hai society.
mvadg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 17:59   #3845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
On a different note, I've found that it is very uncomfortable to wear any kind of mask, even for short periods of time (another hats off our health care providers who keep them on most of the day).
I've been lucky to be invited to some classical concerts, not open to public but being recorded for internet streaming. Out of a strong sense of not wanting to be a risk to others, I have worn N95 masks for the two-hour duration. Spending some time fitting it right on the bridge of the nose makes it both less leaky and more comfortable. At first it feels bad, but after a while I hardly notice it.

Of course, it does not compare with the discomfort of health workers who have to work hard wearing masks and other PPE. All I have to do is wander around with a camera.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 20:38   #3846
Distinguished - BHPian

We are definitely going to see increase post Diwali - huge huge crowds in the streets across Mumbai suburbs with folks doing Diwali shopping. Except for the masks on people's faces, you'd think we never even had a pandemic or anything of that sort.

Folks - please please take care.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 18:44   #3847
BHPian

Pfizer and Biontech announce vaccine candidate against covid-19 achieved success in first interim analysis from phase 3 study
Link

Big news. But some concerns with respect to the logistics. Says it must be maintained below -80C
anandhsub is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 19:56   #3848
BHPian

Interesting video (side effects of covid19): How Satyam Cinemas in Chennai (mecca of movies here) is dealing with Theatre opening on Nov 10th 2020.

I still wonder how many people will still go to the cinemas until this settles down.
Old 10th November 2020, 19:44   #3849
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds much more plausible than the ~27% found during the official serosurvey:

Covid-19: 45% of Karnataka was infected by August, says a new study
https://www.deccanherald.com/state/t...dy-913566.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th November 2020 at 19:50.
Old 11th November 2020, 12:36   #3850
Senior - BHPian

In Senegal they are developing a prick test for $1. Its a antibody test and similar to pregnancy strips.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/10/a...ntl/index.html
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 00:31   #3851
BHPian

World's top intensive care body advises against remdesivir for sickest Covid-19 patients.

https://www.deccanherald.com/science...ts-915080.html
Zen2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:08   #3852
Senior - BHPian

Corona virus 1st anniversary.

17th November 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-fb_img_1605591368523.jpg  

ruzbehxyz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:06   #3853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Corona virus 1st anniversary.

17th November 2020.
Hahahaha This is Epic !!!

That said, things are extremely under control now in Bombay since last 1 month. Let's see what post-Diwali has in its store. One good thing is that Mumbai doesn't have winter ( did someone say it has, oh please ), so hoping the situation remains under control like this.

Last edited by vivek95 : 17th November 2020 at 12:12.
vivek95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:50   #3854
BHPian

The Children Never Had the Coronavirus. So Why Did They Have Antibodies?

Quote:
It’s been a big puzzle of the pandemic: Why are children so much less likely than adults to become infected with the new coronavirus and, if infected, less likely to become ill?
Quote:
Stephen J. Elledge, a genetics professor at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, had a similar response. He and others have found many people have antibodies to common colds caused by other coronaviruses; in laboratory studies, these antibodies also block the new coronavirus.
Quote:
In March, as the pandemic was just beginning, Dr. Kassiotis and his colleagues decided to develop a highly sensitive antibody test. To assess it, they examined blood samples taken before the pandemic from over 300 adults and 48 children and adolescents, comparing them with samples from more than 170 people who had been infected with the new coronavirus.

The scientists expected samples taken before the pandemic to have no antibodies that attacked the new coronavirus. Those were to be the controls for the test the scientists were developing.

Instead, they found that many children, and some adults, carried one antibody in particular that can prevent coronaviruses, including the new one, from entering cells.....
Source: The New York Times dt 10-Nov-2020
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:26   #3855
Team-BHP Support

I never thought this was possible... folks dying of COVID19 think it is a hoax.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...avirus-deniers
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks