Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2020, 09:18   #3676
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Some side effects can be intense, but it is only short lived. A very few were more severe. Even for usual flu vaccine, a day or so of fever is possible.
I am fine with some side effects if the vaccine is otherwise safe and effective. There always were side effects when we had the small pox vaccine in school as kids. A couple of days of fever and body pain were sure to follow. In fact the parents felt happy when these signs appeared, and worried when they did not! Was the vaccine effective or not?

Side effects are possible for the regular Flu and Pneumonia vaccines. People take them all the time. My brother who underwent CABG surgery last year was instructed to take both vaccines by the Cardiologist when he went for his review three months after surgery. They were administered at the Vaccine clinic of the hospital itself. He had some mild discomfort for a few days. He was told to keep taking them for life. I think the Pneumonia shot is not annual, but the Flu shot is.

I took my family for H1N1 vaccine to a hospital a few years ago. The vaccine was administered in to the nostrils. The doctor said some mild fever may be expected in a few cases, but we did not experience anything.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 09:55   #3677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Kerala is soaring with positive cases. No surprises though. I work in a Government Department and the way people behave explains what is going wrong.
Lets not forget the vast number of protests that happened in the past few days.

And why do people wearing mask remove it when they have to talk?
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 10:23   #3678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
As per a report published in JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) on 1st October 2020, flying is still a safe option during COVID19. They've analyzed the airflow...
Even if an aeronautical engineer or fluid mechanics expert certifies this, I would take it with a truckload of salt. There's no way airflow will follow laminar flow like they want us to believe. Even HEPA filters would have to filter every bit of air, which is unlikely. And a report by JAMA on something outside its core competency makes me doubly unsure.
mvadg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 10:38   #3679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Even if an aeronautical engineer or fluid mechanics expert certifies this, I would take it with a truckload of salt. There's no way airflow will follow laminar flow like they want us to believe. Even HEPA filters would have to filter every bit of air, which is unlikely. And a report by JAMA on something outside its core competency makes me doubly unsure.
Here is the science behind down draft ventilation systems:

Design of Hospital Operating Room Ventilation using Computational Fluid Dynamics

https://www.byv.kth.se/en/avd/hallba...namics-1.27399

Aircraft manufactures recently claimed their implementation prevented covid-19 transmission. I travelled before the pandemic and caught the flu, exactly the type of situation the system was supposed to prevent.

A friend wearing the hazmat suit and face mask and plastic visor bought at the airport travelled recently and went down with covid-19. He said the plastic visor is useless: if infection is possible through the eyes, it never protected against that route. More than that, the airline seemed to have switched off the air-conditioning, like malls have done! Everybody was drenched in sweat. Can you think of a worse way to ensure safety, switching off the feature that is supposed to protect, however effective?

Also, railway carriages were converted into ICUs. The latter are supposed to have negative pressure environments, to prevent exit of the virus. Good luck trying to achieve that with carriages.

Last edited by proton : 3rd October 2020 at 10:43.
proton is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 19:47   #3680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

As much as I dislike Big Pharma, they're by no means alone in this.

Take the Russian vaccine. It wasn't developed by any corporate for commercial purposes.
I predict that the Russian vaccine would be widely available in the Black market in India by Jan-Feb.
This is my reasoning :

Russia has a "neutral" image amongst Indians, unlike a China.

They have already tied up with a major Indian pharma company to manufacture the vaccine. A couple of other agreements are also in the pipeline. India pharma cos are not exactly saints. They will cut corners here and there.

We all know the characteristic of this virus - highly infectious, and very low mortality. 25% of Indians already have antibodies as per all sero surveys. So efficacy numbers are easy to fudge, if you take a carefully "randomised" sample.

Govt will issue a vaguely worded "Emergency use Authorisation", which will be open for interpretation to local authorities. Also, for obvious geo political reasons India needs a friend in Russia.

So as long as the vaccine is safe , and people do not have serious side-effects, efficacy would not be a factor for EUA. Govt will just look the other way.

Educated people in cities will not take the vaccine, but I foresee wide availability in rural and semi-rural areas, and vaccine "camps" with a couple of Russian "scientists" staring and assuring the scared aam junta.

Will visit this post again in Jan to see if my prediction comes true.
DigitalOne is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 08:36   #3681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Russian vaccine would be widely available in the Black market in India
My nephew who lives in Bangalore, told me yesterday, that it is already available there.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 09:25   #3682
Senior - BHPian

Airplanes only use MERV-12 rated air filters whereas the air filteration equivalent of N95 filter (filters out particles above 300um) is MERV-16 rated.

One needs to use N95 filter because while COVID itself is ~70-90um, it commonly transmits via aerosols i.e. water droplets the size of ~360um.

So, it's untrue that air travel with COVID in the plane is safe without the passenger wearing an N95 mask. Maybe the full proper PPE kit is overkill, but an N95 rated mask is absolutely necessary for a flight passanger to filter COVID19.

Journalists may play with words to say they're the same "type" of HEPA filter used in hospitals, but deliberately don't inform us about the rating of the filter. We need to research by ourselves, sadly journalists aren't always fully reliable sources.
GrammarNazi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 11:24   #3683
Senior - BHPian

Amidst all the negativity, here is a good news to cheer up on a Sunday morning.

Daily cases are steadily declining for many weeks now and CFR going down. Daily deaths are below 1k mark now.

I know the pessimists would argue that it maybe Saturday effect or the fact that states like Kerala and WB are showing increasing trends, but from an overall picture of the country, things seems to be slowly moving towards the better.

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20201004112329001_com.twitter.android.jpg
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 01:32   #3684
AZT
BHPian

Lancet warns against 'false optimism' around COVID-19 situation in India

The Lancet cautioned that not reporting negative news about the COVID-19 pandemic situation will not only cloud the reality but will also deter people from taking the health crisis seriously and affect public health initiatives adversely

The Coronavirus Thread-6243c44c2d604f3f8f0c64a37175baf1.jpeg

Read more : https://www.businesstoday.in/current...ry/417060.html
Old 6th October 2020, 20:52   #3685
BHPian

What are the restrictions, if any, on domestic flights? My dad needs to fly and we're wondering what types of screening or tests are required pre or post flight.

Source: Jharsuguda, Odissa
Dest: Hyderabad
Old 7th October 2020, 22:39   #3686
Senior - BHPian

Guess there was news a while back from Italy that the virus has weakened. Looking at reports the virus is very much prevalent and people are getting infected and there are fatalities.
Old 7th October 2020, 23:05   #3687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
What are the restrictions, if any, on domestic flights? My dad needs to fly and we're wondering what types of screening or tests are required pre or post flight.

Source: Jharsuguda, Odissa
Dest: Hyderabad
The Covid related restrictions should be available on the Airline's website.

Here is the page on the Indigo website that should help.

https://www.goindigo.in/information/...gulations.html
Old 8th October 2020, 05:08   #3688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The Covid related restrictions should be available on the Airline's website.

Here is the page on the Indigo website that should help.

https://www.goindigo.in/information/...gulations.html
Thank you.

Just thermal screening for Telangana.
Old 8th October 2020, 11:11   #3689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Guess there was news a while back from Italy that the virus has weakened. Looking at reports the virus is very much prevalent and people are getting infected and there are fatalities.
Case fatality rate has been going down steadily all over the world including India.

The statement "Virus has weakened" doesn't mean that spread of infection would suddenly stop. Infact, the virus may have become more infectious, but less lethal.

The other theory is that treatments have improved and more younger people are getting infected now compared to what it was in March/April, hence decrease in fatality rates.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 13:43   #3690
Senior - BHPian

A humble request to all members is to help such people in distress. I was pained to know this old couple's plight of not even able to make 60Rs per day.
https://twitter.com/VasundharaTankh/...i-2943073.html
https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/vis...i-2943073.html
This couple might have received the required help. But there are millions of people like them around us. Let us make sure that we help them by starting to go out and buy something even if a token thing from them.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks