Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 11:57   #3616
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

My residence is now under a containment zone and me along with my father are in a 14 day home isolation. We live in a flat and the flat above our floor has 4 Covid-19 cases and hence, declared as containment zone.
I am still very patient but the ground floor guys has an exit into the ground at the rear end of their house and they are freely roaming around going to their offices and stuff. Seeing this my father is damned about the situation and he is exaggerating about not being able to go to the office. He even emailed to the concerned authorities for an issuance of e-pass but to no avail. He is seriously upset about the whole damn situation. I on the other hand am trying to just ask him to be patient and wait for 14 days. It's a bit frustrating still I'm ok with it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-img_20200924_221214.jpg  

chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:58   #3617
BHPian

State wise statistics as on 25th Sept.

● New cases are showing little down trend (Test numbers are almost same)
● Daily positivity - 6.36% (National level)
● Cumulative positivity - 8.40% (National level)
● Maharashtra / Karnataka - High Severity continues
● National level recovery - 82%
● ℅ Fatality - 1.58% (Down from ~3.5% during early stage)
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-psx_20200926_114520.jpg  

Last edited by Sree73 : 26th September 2020 at 12:26.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 15:33   #3618
Distinguished - BHPian

The numbers just make my head hurt. We are (still?) second worst behind America, but America has approx 1/4 our population. Is this taken account of in the ranking?
Old 26th September 2020, 17:25   #3619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
My residence is now under a containment zone and me along with my father are in a 14 day home isolation. We live in a flat and the flat above our floor has 4 Covid-19 cases and hence, declared as containment zone.
I am still very patient but the ground floor guys has an exit into the ground at the rear end of their house and they are freely roaming around going to their offices and stuff.
To be honest, that is normal here in Bombay. In fact entire building quarantine has stopped long ago, now they just put a poster outside stating this building has a case of infection.

To give an example, we have had 4 cases in our building, all over last 3 months, across different floors.
- the first case (June) - the infected floor and 1 floor above and below were quarantined
- second case (July) - only that floor apts were quarantined- this was my floor, next door neighbors.
- 3rd and 4th cases (August) - I am not even sure if the entire floor was quarantined.

In all cases, BMC was coordinating with the floor tenants and society admin.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 17:46   #3620
Senior - BHPian

Adar Poonawalla, CEO of Serum Institute of India (SII), on September 26 asked if the government will have 'Rs 80,000 crore available' over the next one year, which is the amount, according to him, needed to buy and distribute a COVID-19 vaccine across the country.

Quote:
"Quick question; will the government of India have 80,000 crores available, over the next one year? Because that's what @MoHFW_INDIA needs, to buy and distribute the vaccine to everyone in India. This is the next concerning challenge we need to tackle. @PMOIndia," Poonawalla tweeted.
Source: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/in...a-5888821.html
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 19:45   #3621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The numbers just make my head hurt. We are (still?) second worst behind America, but America has approx 1/4 our population. Is this taken account of in the ranking?
Look at the cases per million population as of today and you'll notice that the gap between India & the US looks to be getting narrower. Take into account the crores and crores who are asymptomatic (which would be much much higher in India) and hence untested, and we're on top of the world already. However, all these numbers of mere positives don't mean nothing - it's like trying to find out how many people in the world have a common cold. What are you going to do about it (what already hasn't been done) anyway?
The more important thing is to find it how many people have complications that need treatment to keep the mortality under control. Biologically, viruses are smart - their objective is to have high infectivity and low mortality - otherwise they would run the risk of dying out for want of a host for transmission!
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_2020092619354978.jpg  

Zen2001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 20:36   #3622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Adar Poonawalla, CEO of Serum Institute of India (SII), on September 26 asked if the government will have 'Rs 80,000 crore available' over the next one year, which is the amount, according to him, needed to buy and distribute a COVID-19 vaccine across the country.

Source: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/in...a-5888821.html
You can multiply that by 100 by the time the vaccine becomes available, considering the cost escalation excuses we are so famous for. The good news for us (& bad news for SII) is that we probably won't be needing it in billions of doses by that time.
Zen2001 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 21:57   #3623
Senior - BHPian

^^ Why should everyone get it free? Provide a reliable vaccine and we will pay for it. Just like we pay for flu or H1N1 shots. Give it free to BPL people.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 00:31   #3624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Why should everyone get it free? Provide a reliable vaccine and we will pay for it. Just like we pay for flu or H1N1 shots. Give it free to BPL people.
Well, I think we can stop the bullet train, parliament redevelopment and all statues, religious monument constructions and all the assorted extravaganza and government fund this right? What are we paying taxes for? All of us?
humyum is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 00:34   #3625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Well, I think we can stop the bullet train, parliament redevelopment and all statues, religious monument constructions and all the assorted extravaganza and government fund this right? What are we paying taxes for? All of us?
I would so like to believe that ‘we’ still matter !!

On the other hand, if and when the vaccine is available, ideally it should be given free of charge to the less privileged just like the government subsidies reach them. But logical and rational thinking as a concept has become a rare thing these days and hence I will always remain skeptical about the implantation part regarding the vaccination.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 27th September 2020 at 00:43.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 09:50   #3626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are we paying taxes for? All of us?
No offence, but we can extend that further and say the tax payer has more rights than the non- tax payer, so he should get it first! And the highest tax payers should have the maximum rights in everything! Probably their vote should count for more than that of the push cart fellow on the street! Just like the corporate AGMs, where the biggest share holder gets the most votes!

If everyone should get it free it may become a non starter; or it will take ages to percolate down to everybody. I don't mind paying for it and taking it in a reputable vaccine clinic I trust.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th September 2020 at 09:53.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:11   #3627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offence, but we can extend that further and say the tax payer has more rights than the non- tax payer, so he should get it first! And the highest tax payers should have the maximum rights in everything! Probably their vote should count for more than that of the push cart fellow on the street! Just like the corporate AGMs, where the biggest share holder gets the most votes!

If everyone should get it free it may become a non starter; or it will take ages to percolate down to everybody. I don't mind paying for it and taking it in a reputable vaccine clinic I trust.
By tax-payers I meant every Indian citizen. We don't need to file taxes to pay taxes, everyone pay's tax even in a happy dent they buy or an electricity bill they pay to a fuel they fill.

No farmer, villager, adivasi, barber, dosa thela, maid, rickshaw driver, my mom, grandmother is a non tax payer, everyone pays tax.Everyone should get it when its available for free. From an Ambani to a rickshaw guy, no first, last system.

Why will it be a non starter if everyone gets it for free? Does RBI not have surplus funds for these kind of emergencies? Is a bullet train more important? Or election prachar in bihar more important with those LCD's? is a new parliament building more important? Is being Ibn Batuta more important? Is building a religious monument more important? Stop all extravaganza and spend India's money collected from Indian's for Indians, what can be more important than keeping than alive unless the government does not care for them at all?
humyum is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:35   #3628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
! Just like the corporate AGMs, where the biggest share holder gets the most votes!
The shareholder owns, the tax payer only owes.

Quote:
Is being Ibn Batuta more important?
This is the most hilarious thing I've read in a while!
IJOTY for you.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 11:07   #3629
Senior - BHPian

Point of worry for me would be my (individual) lack of choice if it comes to which vaccine and when.

My fear is that many half tested vaccines are going to hit the market, and Nandan Nilekani made a statement to the effect that methods similar to Aadhar implementation have to be used when it comes to Covid vaccination.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:01   #3630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the govt building any religious monuments? I don't think everyone needs the vaccine and not everyone would ask for a free one too
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks