Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 19:25   #3466

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

These days the TN government and some other governments (Punjab etc) have stopped hammering tin sheets on the door and placing banners stating corona hotspot. They're relying on volunteers / neighborhood watch type schemes to report quarantine violations.
Chennai corp sealed my house with tin sheet after I tested positive last week. So no it has not stopped, volunteers are assigned to help us with purchasing of daily needs.
n.arun01 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 09:26   #3467
Distinguished - BHPian

Covid is probably hitting every family now and close family members are getting affected. In our immediate family - My brother in law (based in Bhandup Mumbai) was affected around 15 days back and came down with fever and experienced breathlessness. He was tested and found positive and he needed to be admitted to hospital (Hiranandani) for 10 days as his oxygen level was falling to as low as 84 - he was administered oxygen for 7 days and was also given a 6 day course of Remdesivir.
His wife was also found positive and as her symptoms were not as severe, she stayed at home and now has recovered. Their 4 year old son possibly is also infected but he has not displayed any symptoms and probably should not fall ill.

My second Brother in law (who is a Government doctor based at Mathura) is also infected now (since past 5 days) and is isolated. His whole family - Mother, wife and 2 small kids (1 year and 4 years) are also all infected.
He had also earlier done covid duty around a month back and was currently not doing covid duties for the past 30 days so got infected from some other source (probably his senior) who was also found infected a few days earlier.
I just hope that when covid affects seniors they are able to pull through.
In UP all government doctors have been prescribing Ivermectin 12 mg (once daily for three days for adults weighing 60kg) for all Covid positive cases and it has helped reduce the mortality and severity of infection, but is effective only before the onset of ARDS (Acute respiratory distress syndrome).

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th September 2020 at 09:28.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 09:56   #3468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
Is there any labs in Bangalore, who would do this discretely or do this without embarrassing us?

Embarrassment is not because of being tested positive or the disease itself, its because of the way the BBMP officials behave! Why would someone come to your doorstep, speak to you over loud speaker and tell you to stay shut inside, whereas you know about it already and they would seal down the area.
This reflects the complete mismanagement of the Indian state in handling the social aspect of this infection (in addition to the medical/clinical aspect as well).
How can this type of unacceptable govt behavior instill confidence in people to come forward to get themselves tested? As a doctor, I know that there are many people holed up in their homes with ILI symptoms, afraid of being tested only because of the ridiculous/haphazard quarantining/hospital admission policies. Most will get well, but some might progress to SARI symptoms. Sadly, as of now, no lab will do a PCR test without divulging your aadhar based personal information to the ICMR, which will bring your local corrupt corporation officials/corporator/police to your doorstep harassing you to get admitted even if you have no symptoms.
That's the state in India's covid capital Pune as of now where beds are still limited; the only state run govt hospital is (conveniently) grappling with a defective central oxygen supply, thereby diverting patients out to privately managed "jumbo covid centers" - a perfect example for other corporations to follow to make quick money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
And in many places the stigma of having died of covid19 is so high and the consequent harassment by local authorities so troublesome that other causes are attributed to a covid19 death to save the family from having the Govt breathe down their neck.
The harassment is the chief cause of public reluctance to testing, unless experiencing severe symptoms. On the other hand, since there have been almost no clinical post mortems since April (for deaths/brought dead individuals to civic/govt hospitals), and subsequently for all IPD deaths, even due to exacerbations of other co morbid conditions (with incidental covid postive tests), that these deaths are being wrongly ascribed to covid 19 as the primary cause of death in their death certificates. At the most, covid can only be a contributing factor or incidental associated illness. But then the pandemic had to be stoked by fear.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th September 2020 at 13:49. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Zen2001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:46   #3469
Distinguished - BHPian

My Covid-19 Experience!!

I was doing well and didn't have any symptoms before August 21.

August 22: I woke up little late and felt weak. The feeling was different. I had mild cough too. As per the testing guidelines for Covid-19, it was not mandatory for me to get tested as I didn't have fever, breathlessness etc. Anyways I decided to get tested voluntarily and went to Covid help desk at our hospital. I gave my details and was told that I will receive a call for sample collection. I decided to isolate myself till test result is out.

August 23: I got a call and SMS regarding my registration for Covid-19 test. A unique ID was generated, do note that every detail is given to Government. Sample collection was scheduled for the next day. I didn't have any new symptoms.

August 24: I gave my swab samples for RT-PCR testing. My condition was still the same except for mild weakness and cough.

August 25: Test result turned out to be positive!! I was contacted by health authorities asking about my details and all my primary contacts. I opted for home quarantine.

August 26: Police and health workers visited me and sealed down the flat declaring it as containment zone. Home quarantine was for 17 days from the date of onset of my symptoms.

August 27 to August 31: I didn't develop fever or breathlessness. Weakness was reduced but I did have few episodes of diarrhea. I also noticed fluctuations in heart rate.

September 1 to September 6: I felt fully normal, didn't have any symptoms.

September 7 / Today: It's my last day of home quarantine. I will be free to go out and hit the roads again tomorrow . As per the new guidelines, they are not doing repeat tests for negative result for mild cases.

I had started myself on supplements like Vitamins and Zinc, didn't take any other medications. I would say there is no need to panic, this pandemic is not going to end anytime soon. Be careful guys and don't worry even if you get Covid-19.. Majority recover without any issues

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th September 2020 at 11:48.
Dr.Naren is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 13:07   #3470
BHPian

Covid is taking its toll in many ways. My aunt had fever since last few days but no other symptoms of C19. Family isolated her and contacted family doctor who advised C19 test. An antigen test was done and it came back negative. She was still kept in a separate room and was given Paracetamol and vitamin tabs etc. Few days ago she started showing too much of fatigue and stopped talking. My Mamaji tried to get her admitted in various hospitals but everyone declined. Some calls were made and one hospital agreed to take her after another negative Antigen test, all this took couple of days. While she was at hospital another PCR test was done but she expired due to brain hemorrhage before the results came, which were also negative. If she was admitted in hospital on time, maybe she could've been saved.

Having said that Covid is creating havoc in smaller cities and villages. Brothers have abandon brothers. I came to know of a 22 year old who had to cremate his father alone as no relatives agreed to attend the funeral. I hope and pray it gets better from here.

-Ijeet

Last edited by ijeet : 7th September 2020 at 13:19.
ijeet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 13:21   #3471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Covid is taking its toll in many ways. My aunt had fever since last few days but no other symptoms of C19.
Sorry to hear that.

But why would hospitals deny admission even after a covid negative result?
Old 7th September 2020, 13:49   #3472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Covid is probably hitting every family now and close family members are getting affected.
Quote:
Covid is taking its toll in many ways. My aunt had fever since last few days but no other symptoms of C19.
Its evident now that Covid is going to impact a very very vast majority either directly or indirectly including financial impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
An example on somewhat similar note, just now my uncle who is an Orthopedic Surgeon is confirmed Corona Positive.
Since 28th My uncle is having fever, and its just not going away with max spell of 18 hours before fever reappeared. Even today morning he had fever and my cousin informed me that fever intensity is reducing. But my uncle is suffering from massive weakness and also from loss of appetite.
Old 7th September 2020, 14:52   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sorry to hear that.

But why would hospitals deny admission even after a covid negative result?
Not sure, maybe they are not trusting Antigens tests, perhaps that was the reason a PCR test was done. This is from a tier 3 town in Haryana and these guys have their own rules.

-Ijeet
ijeet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 18:34   #3474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
My Covid-19 Experience!!
I had started myself on supplements like Vitamins and Zinc, didn't take any other medications.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Doc! Could you also please share some details about the 'Vitamins' and 'Zinc' supplements for the benefit of all, here.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 18:41   #3475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience, Doc! Could you also please share some details about the 'Vitamins' and 'Zinc' supplements for the benefit of all, here.
Sure, but I advice people not to self medicate. Do consult a doctor.

I was a mild case of Covid-19 and followed the treatment protocol mentioned below.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-img_20200907_184137.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 18:58   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Sure, but I advice people not to self medicate. Do consult a doctor.

I was a mild case of Covid-19 and followed the treatment protocol mentioned below.
Thanks. Highlight here is the Ivermectin. Did you also take it ?

On the subject of Ivermectin, in Noida/Ghaziabad, Ivermectin combo is being given at the very early stages. And mortality rates are amongst the lowest in whole country.

I am not saying that Ivermectin is a wonder drug, but from whatever is seen so far - be it Bangaladesh or Uttar pradesh, it is helping lower mortality if given at the very early stage.

Last edited by DCEite : 7th September 2020 at 19:01.
DCEite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 19:01   #3477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thanks. Highlight here is the Ivermectin. Did you also take it ?
Yes, I did take a single tablet of Ivermectin. It's not really proven to be effective against Covid-19, controversy exists.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 14:55   #3478
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

What frustrates me to no end is how our poorer neighbours like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Srilanka all have contained the virus so well, atleast on paper.

I think it cannot be lack of testing alone. There is something else going on, don't know what!
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 19:48   #3479
BHPian

Quote:
Covid is taking its toll in many ways.
Finally someone has realised it, albeit the hard way. Sorry for your loss; it's definitely not from covid but definitely because of covid. Repeating, but adding to what you've said - covid is taking its toll in many more ways than the infection itself. People with far more serious ailments are simply afraid of going into hospitals, (or being postponed) due to the artificially created burden of " percieved critical" infection.
Zen2001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:53   #3480
BHPian

Quote:
Covid is taking its toll in many ways. My aunt had fever since last few days but no other symptoms of C19. Family isolated her and contacted family doctor who advised C19 test. An antigen test was done and it came back negative. She was still kept in a separate room and was given Paracetamol and vitamin tabs etc. Few days ago she started showing too much of fatigue and stopped talking. My Mamaji tried to get her admitted in various hospitals but everyone declined. Some calls were made and one hospital agreed to take her after another negative Antigen test, all this took couple of days. While she was at hospital another PCR test was done but she expired due to brain hemorrhage before the results came, which were also negative. If she was admitted in hospital on time, maybe she could've been saved.

-Ijeet
Extremely sorry to hear about your aunt. As a Doctor, I find it pathetic that routine salvageable medical/surgical emergencies are still being sidelined at many places because of the biased, overzealous, paranoid approach towards Covid. Based on what you have described, your aunt would have definitely survived if she was attended in a timely manner ( whether conservative or surgical intervention ) !! Anyways, may her soul rest in peace.

But all this is not gonna affect the proponents of covid and lockdown as they feel that a human being dies only because of covid
vivek95 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks