Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 11:42   #3256
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

https://twitter.com/PAWANBEETU05/sta...22065950474240

It seems that Uttar Pradesh is implementing Ivermectin/Doxycycline combo (along with Zinc, Vitamin D, etc.) for home isolation patients.

Not sure if any other state is following the same ?

Are there enough clinical trial and positive results for this combo ? I remember couple of months back some Doctor in Bangladesh had suggested this combo after good results in Covid patients.

Last edited by DCEite : 11th August 2020 at 11:44.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 11:55   #3257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
...I was looking back at life, haven't done anything substantial in life yet.
...My waist was 36 inch, trousers were size 33, August 4. Rejoined duty in Covid ICU.
Thanks TheRationalist for such an informative and honest write up. The sentiment of not having done anything substantial is something a lot of us can identify with. But, a doctor who served people in Covid-ward, chose not to don PPE when time was of essence to save his patient's life and returned to duty as soon as he could - you sir, have accomplished a lot. Thank you for your service.
On a lighter note, the dishonesty of apparel makers is at least partially responsible for widespread obesity. If it was an error of half an inch, its understandable - but 3 inches is insane. When I didn't know any better, I used to think that my waist size is 32..

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
"With hundreds of beds empty across the 11 Covid-19 Care Centres (CCC) operated by the government in the city, officials are considering shutting down as many as five including the ambitious Covid-19 Care hub set up at Bangalore International Exhibition Centre (BIEC)."
There is a mad rush to claim victory over the pandemic. Bangalore is doing so based on "slowing down of growth rate". I remember similar proclamations from Mumbai and Delhi as well.

Call me a pessimist, but someone must have made money in setting up all these beds.I recollect Doctors were saying asymptomatic patients can be handled at home and there is limited need for beds without oxygen-support and medical care. So, it was probably done to make money and gain some PR brownie points. Now they will dismantle the setup. And, when cases rise, they will come up with some new infrastructure to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
As @Antibody Velumani tweets often, a positive test can remove our stress.
Following Antibody Velumani's tweets, I get can't help but think of this - "If hammer is the only tool you have, every problem looks like a nail."

Last edited by Su-47 : 11th August 2020 at 11:57.
Su-47 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 12:50   #3258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
https://twitter.com/PAWANBEETU05/sta...22065950474240

It seems that Uttar Pradesh is implementing Ivermectin/Doxycycline combo (along with Zinc, Vitamin D, etc.) for home isolation patients.

Not sure if any other state is following the same ?

Are there enough clinical trial and positive results for this combo ? I remember couple of months back some Doctor in Bangladesh had suggested this combo after good results in Covid patients.
It is already being used in many Hospitals : LHMC, Lok Nayak Jai Prakash and newest addition is Tata Steel Main Hospital (Jamshedpur). The adoption has increased a lot and it is helping reduce the severity of the infection and reducing mortality.
My Cousin who is a Govt doctor in UP tells me that this treatment is being given to most Covid positive cases with early symptoms and helping them a lot.

https://www.trialsitenews.com/tata-m...ress-covid-19/

On the same page, do read the comment by Dr Arun Kumar Laha too.

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th August 2020 at 12:55.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:17   #3259
BHPian

Another one for hydroxychloroquine + doxycycline + Zinc combo.

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeati...pinion-1519535

More and more i read on this, I feel like we as a world paid a very heavy price for something which was solvable using cheap solution just because it got politicized.

Hope more hospitals adopt test this and finish this scourge.

-Ijeet
ijeet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 14:48   #3260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Happy that the cases (and panic) are declining in Bangalore (and I have always been of the opinion that we all overreacted), but I think this is too early to think about shutting down covid care centers. After doing so much work to get them up and running, I think it makes sense to keep them on standby for a month or two till the case trend shows a definite decline.
Agreed. Better to be prepared. Perhaps too early to get unprepared
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
panic and paranoia subsiding.
Same. Preparation is not paranoia. I expect some will go to their graves insisting that it was all exaggerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Call me a pessimist, but someone must have made money in setting up all these beds.I recollect Doctors were saying asymptomatic patients can be handled at home and there is limited need for beds without oxygen-support and medical care. So, it was probably done to make money and gain some PR brownie points. Now they will dismantle the setup. And, when cases rise, they will come up with some new infrastructure to handle it.
Probably a valid comment. Sadly, it is in the nature of government. Better I don't mention my mother country and its government's corona-contracts-to-mates policies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Another one for hydroxychloroquine + doxycycline + Zinc combo.

More and more i read on this, I feel like we as a world paid a very heavy price for something which was solvable using cheap solution just because it got politicized.
You talk as if there was always a bottle on the shelf marked "Use for corvid-19."

There wasn't. There were many candidates among existing medicines and there may be many more. They may be thought of and tried over weeks, months, years. Nothing is obvious.

I think your news is out of date and hydroxycholoquine has been removed from the useful list.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 15:01   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Now what drama is this:

https://www.newindianexpress.com/wor...n-2181971.html

Putin's daughter has already been administered the vaccine and she is doing fine !

Mass production ready. Don't know whether i am impressed or amused.

Last edited by DCEite : 11th August 2020 at 15:21.
Old 11th August 2020, 15:38   #3262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Putin's daughter has already been administered the vaccine and she is doing fine !
That suggests that it does no harm, which is one of the tests a vaccine has to pass. It does not prove that it works, which is another.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 15:42   #3263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

"With hundreds of beds empty across the 11 Covid-19 Care Centres (CCC) operated by the government in the city, officials are considering shutting down as many as five including the ambitious Covid-19 Care hub set up at Bangalore International Exhibition Centre (BIEC)."

Wow, first the headlines warned of a ventilator shortage, then last month we allowed export of ventilators because they were not needed. Then they foretold an acute bed shortage, which is why the BIEC center was fast-tracked. And now...

Happy that the cases (and panic) are declining in Bangalore (and I have always been of the opinion that we all overreacted), but I think this is too early to think about shutting down covid care centers. After doing so much work to get them up and running, I think it makes sense to keep them on standby for a month or two till the case trend shows a definite decline.
Not a surprise that someone is thinking of shutting down care centers, remember how the hoopla was created for turning train coaches into Covid Wards? Crores of money were spent on them and without using them even once, the same coaches are now being dismantled to their original conditions.

It's another matter to be prepared and entirely other to waste public money in the times of a pandemic. In fact, when the entire focus should have been on using money judiciously during these times, all we got were some knee jerk actions and during which some smart people made huge amounts of money
ABHI_1512 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 17:15   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post
The higher the reactive value, the better it is? Is there any particular timeline of antibody test after recovering for covid-19?
Yes very much Higher the reactive value, the better it is. It directly means presence of more antibodies. If you look at my report there , it says " Anti-Sars Cov2 -> Reactive (46.2) ". Now this 46.2 is Arbitrary units/ml or 46.2 AU/mL. Number 46 corresponds to a certain dilution titre. The cut off value for "reactivity" or "positive for antibodies" is 1.0 , as mentioned in my report and that corresponds to a lesser dilution titre. Hence, 46.2 corresponds to a much more higher dilution titre. I am not exactly sure how much, but 46 definitely means more than 1:320 titres i.e 1 part of serum diluted in 320 parts of diluent. Remember that 1:320 is more diluted than a 1:40 titre. So, if a particular blood sample/serum detects presence of antibodies in a higher diluted titre , it indicates higher presence of antibodies.

Timeline is a median of 12-14 days after infection ( Covid-19 in this case ) that only peaks so on and so forth and the longevity is for several months as some studies say, though not fully understood yet.

In short, my report says I do have a significant number of antibodies against SARS--Cov2 in my body. Thanking God for his eternal grace upon me

Last edited by vivek95 : 11th August 2020 at 17:16. Reason: Added sars cov2 word
vivek95 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 17:59   #3265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Timeline is a median of 12-14 days after infection ( Covid-19 in this case ) that only peaks so on and so forth and the longevity is for several months as some studies say, though not fully understood yet.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Does antibodies have any any connection with severity of infection? I mean those who have more symptoms or have suffered more develop more antibodies compared to those who are asymptomatic or have minor symptoms?

It has been more than one month since i had tested covid positive & have recovered gradually.I am thinking of getting an antibody test done but since so many days have passed am giving a second thought. Have studied in internet that igM stays for initial 2 to 3 weeks after catching infection while igG stays for a longer time. So if i test now is there any chances of testing negative or getting low reactive values? Am a bit relieved that am safe for at least 2 months but if antibody test results are different then i will be back to square one.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 20:06   #3266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post

It has been more than one month since i had tested covid positive & have recovered gradually.I am thinking of getting an antibody test done but since so many days have passed am giving a second thought. Have studied in internet that igM stays for initial 2 to 3 weeks after catching infection while igG stays for a longer time. So if i test now is there any chances of testing negative or getting low reactive values? Am a bit relieved that am safe for at least 2 months but if antibody test results are different then i will be back to square one.
I think you should not worry about a second infection now. From what I know , if and when antibodies fade away, "memory T" cells will prevent or mitigate any future infection. I am not a doctor but this is what I gather from internet.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 20:08   #3267
BHPian

I had suffered from covid last month. It was pretty bad, oxygen levels never went below 95 but was facing breathing difficulties during the peak of the disease. I diagnosed myself just by symptoms and the fact that each member of my family was infected. On day 14 post my symptoms i got my antibody test done which came positive (2.34 Au/ml). I even got my CT scan and X-ray done which showed pneumonia. My grandfather who is 83yr old had to be admitted and was put on oxygen but fortunately he recovered but my maternal uncle succumbed to the disease within 2 weeks. He was only 55 but was diabetic for 15 years. I am currently in my native place in Raigad district where the disease spread like wildfire and i am pretty sure 70 80% people in my neighborhood were infected as all reported the same symptoms but thankfully no one needed hospitalization. This shows that the CFR for the disease is indeed low and places where the cases are decreasing in number have achieved herd immunity.

Last edited by BLACKRiVAL : 11th August 2020 at 20:10.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 20:39   #3268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
I had suffered from covid last month. It was pretty bad, oxygen levels never went below 95 but was facing breathing difficulties during the peak of the disease. I diagnosed myself just by symptoms and the fact that each member of my family was infected. On day 14 post my symptoms i got my antibody test done which came positive (2.34 Au/ml). I even got my CT scan and X-ray done which showed pneumonia. My grandfather who is 83yr old had to be admitted and was put on oxygen but fortunately he recovered but my maternal uncle succumbed to the disease within 2 weeks. He was only 55 but was diabetic for 15 years. I am currently in my native place in Raigad district where the disease spread like wildfire and i am pretty sure 70 80% people in my neighborhood were infected as all reported the same symptoms but thankfully no one needed hospitalization. This shows that the CFR for the disease is indeed low and places where the cases are decreasing in number have achieved herd immunity.
Good to hear about you and your granddad. Sorry for your uncle.

Would you mind the treatment protocol you followed ? Or was it just home isolation and fever medicine ?
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 22:55   #3269
BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear about you and your granddad. Sorry for your uncle.

Would you mind the treatment protocol you followed ? Or was it just home isolation and fever medicine ?
Treatment was mostly symptomatic. We are a big joint family with 20 members.
4 super senior citizens above 80, only grandpa got severe disease rest 3 had moderate disease (fever for 4 to 5 days, weakness and loss of appetite, taste and smell, mild cough)
4 people in 40 to 50 category moderate disease
4 people in 20 to 30 category (including me) moderate disease
4 adolescents mild disease
4 kids below 10 years had the mildest disease ( low grade fever for 1 day thats it)
We adults were taking paracetamol, cough syrup and steam inhalation for symptomatic relief. Also everyone above 20 years had taken ivermectin/ doxycycline combo.

Note:
No one in the family with diabetes.
Grandpa grandmom both have heart disease, rest 2 seniors one is a cancer survivor and the other is mostly bedridden.
Everyone except grandpa was managed at home.

Last edited by BLACKRiVAL : 11th August 2020 at 22:59.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 08:57   #3270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
Treatment was mostly symptomatic. We are a big joint family with 20 members.

Also everyone above 20 years had taken ivermectin/ doxycycline combo.

Exactly what happened and is still going on. HCQS/ Azithral/ Remdesivir being "tried" in the family I posted about. After all these were used in Europe and found ineffective. When are they going to realise that the cycle is the same worldwide? Soon, it will reach the stage of triage. Make decisions on who to treat (intubation) and who to give the bad news to, depending on ferritin level...

News also appearing about mildly affected and recovered patients with no symptoms continuing to suffering pulmonary and myocardial damage, with need to be treated by physiotherapists in how to cope with reduced functions...

There goes the mild flu experienced by 90 percent affected theory.

Last edited by proton : 12th August 2020 at 09:02.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks