Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:38   #3181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Russia to start vaccination for Doctors, other healthcare workers and teachers this month; mass vaccinations will begin in October, according to BBC.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 03:36   #3182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
The Lancet paper was a fraud. Calling it research is being far too kind on someone who has the blood of God knows how many innocents on his hands. ... ... ...

Hope this helps.
It helps a lot: thank you.

It helped lead me to several hours of reading, following after your links, of Brian Deer's articles in BMJ. Most of it I never knew before. Should have been compulsory reading! What a scumbag... in a nest of scumbags! Particularly shocking was the attitude of The Lancet/. Don't know that I'm that used to to thinking of Britain's General Medical Council as heros (although it was a slow process)! With Brian Deer as star.

I didn't know that, right from the start, the whole thing was set up, commissioned, more or less, to prove a predetermined end. I didn't know that Wakefield was making so much money from it back then.

Anyway, back to the present day...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:53   #3183
BHPian

Guys please be careful from where you are getting yourself or your acquaintances are getting tested. Please ensure those are certified labs. A person in kolkata fell victim to a scam & died after a few days.

The Coronavirus Thread-1.jpeg

Source

Last edited by SDP : 3rd August 2020 at 18:03. Reason: Typo
Fordlover88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:06   #3184
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting how the results of an actual sero survey were dismissed out of hand just a few pages back, while something that is so obviously hoaxy gets a patient hearing simply because the lockdown angle was not brought into the picture. I think a lot of good information on how the pandemic is actually playing out in India is being missed because almost every discussion got reduced to 'lockdown vs no lockdown'.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:11   #3185
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am from Mumbai and want to plan a getaway to any nearby place. Same day return trip with all food items in the car.

I want to do it sticking to government guidelines and without any compliance problems.

Honestly, I have started to realize that the lockdown way is not the way to live and we should atleast try to get back slowly to normal life. Especially households where there is no one with serious co-morbidity.

In this context, would a trek to Rajmachi or Karnala be advisable. What permissions are required, if any?
Old 4th August 2020, 10:46   #3186
BHPian

Very good summary of current situation.

Bad News:
- Increasing count of cases and deaths in India.

Good news:
- Very low fatality rates and decreasing in India.
- Very low fatality rates in South Asia compared to Europe, US, Mexico
- Understanding and treatment of virus is now far better than earlier so India is able to treat well.
- Why Epidemiologists were so wrong in the "millions and millions of deaths" initial projections
- Why some parts of the population may not be susceptible at all to the virus; Refers to further interviews in unherd.com why Germany's numbers are so much better than rest of Europe.
- Why herd immunity may be much closer than what was initially projected.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th August 2020 at 15:03. Reason: URL updated with what you provided in the later post. Thank you!
DigitalOne is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:47   #3187
PGA
BHPian

^^Why Chinese got away so cheaply, how South East Asia is mirroring China in infections and fatalities, case of Vietnam is particularly amazing. Island nations are doing good as well. Its cannot be that everybody is fudging data. I have been trying to glean whatever news I can lay my hands upon to understand the reasons, logical or illogical. We are not doing badly in terms of percentages per million though absolute numbers are putting us in leaders category.

There is plausible information I got while going through the video.

La Jolla Institute Of Immunology carried out testing on blood samples received from 2015-2018 and found that in some cases cells had pre existing immunity to the virus. Another study referred to in the talk says that almost 34% could carry this immunity. Implies that some subset of population will not get this virus, this subset could vary from country to country. There is also a talk of something called 'Immunilogical Dark Matter'. It implies that entire human race is not equally susceptible to this virus. Even during the Spanish (Chinese) Flu of 1918-19, 68 % of the world population never got infected.

Could it be that Orientals and subcontinental carry this dark matter in greater proportion as compared to westerners. Then why not just transfer some plasma from this set of people and feed into the stream of the susceptible group. Wish we had more data coming out of Africa to understand the virus even better.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th August 2020 at 15:04. Reason: Same video link as previous post
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:00   #3188
Senior - BHPian

There is a thin line between science and pseudoscience, it will be difficult to differentiate between the two if you are new to the concepts.
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:40   #3189
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
There is a thin line between science and pseudoscience, it will be difficult to differentiate between the two if you are new to the concepts.
Sorry but are you referring to the study in mentioned in the post before you regarding pre-existing immunity ?
Old 4th August 2020, 12:05   #3190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi guys,

I am from Mumbai and want to plan a getaway to any nearby place. Same day return trip with all food items in the car.

I want to do it sticking to government guidelines and without any compliance problems.

Honestly, I have started to realize that the lockdown way is not the way to live and we should atleast try to get back slowly to normal life. Especially households where there is no one with serious co-morbidity.

In this context, would a trek to Rajmachi or Karnala be advisable. What permissions are required, if any?
Forget Rajmachi, it comes under Pune district jurisdiction and Pune DC has apparently banned visits to all tourist spots even if one were to maintain physical distancing and precautionary measures. Our public at large is also foolish to not exercise basic precautions, like removing the mask while coughing and then put it back

I am sure you will stick to the current Maharashtra government regulations regarding travel but MH has extended lockdown till 31st, so I presume all sorts of getaways to hill stations/beaches are still prohibited ??? Ohh, even I so badly want to drive around Mumbai/Pune in this heavy rain and find some respite from Covid icu duties. I learnt that my homestate Karnataka is opening up some of its coveted spots like Madikeri for tourists, is that true ??

I had driven to Nagothane, near Alibaug from Mumbai during unlock 1 to pick up some luggage from a friend's home. Travel pass then and even now is not required towards Raigad area as it falls within MMR-Mumbai metropolitan region. I think, you can thus plan Karnala. It was so green back in June itself when I had passed Karnala area Can imagine how ethereal it could be now given the heavy rains in and around Mumbai.
vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 12:15   #3191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I learnt that my homestate Karnataka is opening up some of its coveted spots like Madikeri for tourists, is that true ??
Don't know if overnight stays or hotels are open for guests, but I don't think there are restrictions on driving around, at least not where I am right now. Over the past week I've driven to a beach and to Agumbe and back from Mangalore. Just driven there and back, got down from the car to walk around a bit. There were 3-4 cops at the beach but they were not stopping people from just walking around. Everyone seemed to have their masks on, and the small crowds meant it was very possible to maintain a huge distance between people, so I guess that is ok. Welcome breaks from staring at the walls and computer screen at home! Small shops were open for food as well along the way.

Last edited by am1m : 4th August 2020 at 12:20.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 12:47   #3192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Sorry but are you referring to the study in mentioned in the post before you regarding pre-existing immunity ?
No, I was talking in general, no particular post as such. It is very easy to mislead people with scientific jargon. There is a lot of traction on pseudoscience lately, because of the ease at which the information can be exchanged now.
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 12:55   #3193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I learnt that my homestate Karnataka is opening up some of its coveted spots like Madikeri for tourists, is that true ??
Madikeri (Coorg/Kodagu Region)officially opened up for tourists last weekend and this was there in print media too.

Other locations like Chikmagalur haven't opened up. I along with my parents drove to Chikmagalur on Sunday and returned yesterday. Almost all popular lodges were shut down, including popular eateries while we of course were visiting our home there. It means the district hasn't opened up as yet for tourists although I did notice few self-drive cars roaming around hinting that few of the homestays may have hesitantly opened up.

On the highway, especially on Sunday, nearly every eatery was looking deserted with not even a single car, some totally downing shutters too. But on Monday the crowd was back and so were the cars and I presume this could be due to the earlier Sunday lockdown and the presumption that it still existed.

But now, most of the Karnataka roads resemble Maharashtra with way too many 2 wheelers on the roads, thanks to reduced or almost inexistent KSRTC services including Private Maxi cabs. One needs to be very careful now when driving on Karnataka highways because of this change and most of the riders appear novice while driving on the highways too. Coupled with this, the windy weather ensures the 2 wheelers often swing in and out of their lanes due to crosswinds.

Needless to say, our junta still prefers Cash instead of contactless (and safer) Fastag that almost all the booth enroute had longer queues for cash lanes!

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th August 2020 at 12:58.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 13:53   #3194
BHPian

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to be asking this question but here goes: My MIL lives in Chennai and her mother lives in Bangalore. Do to some unfortunate events, my MIL's mom who is terminally ill had taken a turn for the worse and my MIL wants to go visit her. We would rather do the trip on road than take a flight or train.

I checked the karnatake epass site and the TN epass site. My question is if I would need an epass to :
1. Leave TN
2. Enter Karnataka
e. Return back to TN from Karnataka.

will my MIL have to face 14 days quarantine if she enters Karnataka? I see a special category called "serious illness" on karnataka epass site. Is that good option to select?

Ideally, we would want to visit for a few days and return. How can that be legally achieved? can someone help?

Thanks in advance
Old 4th August 2020, 14:07   #3195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Hi All, I am not sure if this is the right forum to be asking this question but here goes
Hi, the thread below might have the answer to your query:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ctions-15.html (Interstate travel with the Covid-19 restrictions)
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed