Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 22:34   #2776
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That is a scary number. And yes, that's one of the reasons that we invested in a Pulse Oximeter.

I find this pretty scary too, because the patients that are being written about here are probably, statistically, filed under recovered, but it is not the first report I've read of corvid19 having massive after-effects. If that's the right word.

I'm a physiotherapist. Seeing the impact of Covid on survivors will haunt me forever (The Guardian)
On a happier note, Spitting Image is back, the most look-forwarded event of my Sunday, during my student days. Don't you wish you were back in Blighty? At least you could roast the government without fear of retribution:

proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 22:53   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Anthony Fauci is suggesting "pool testing" where multiple samples will be collected and tested.
As an aside : In computer science we have this concept of multiplexer / demultiplexer.
Think in terms of sorting and searching.

Sutripta
Old 27th June 2020, 01:25   #2778
AZT
BHPian

Coronavirus traces found in March 2019 sewage sample, Spanish study shows

Quote:
Spanish virologists have found traces of the novel coronavirus in a sample of Barcelona waste water collected in March 2019, nine months before the COVID-19 disease was identified in China, the University of Barcelona said on Friday.

The discovery of virus genome presence so early in Spain, if confirmed, would imply the disease may have appeared much earlier than the scientific community thought.

The University of Barcelona team, who had been testing waste water since mid-April this year to identify potential new outbreaks, decided to also run tests on older samples. “The levels of SARS-CoV-2 were low but were positive,” research leader Albert Bosch was quoted as saying by the university.

The research has been submitted for a peer review.
Read More: https://in.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idINKBN23X2HQ
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 06:52   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Coronavirus traces found in March 2019 sewage sample, Spanish study shows
Interesting, but, from the same article :
Quote:
...Gertjan Medema of the KWR Water Research Institute in the Netherlands, whose team began using a coronavirus test on waste water in February, suggested the Barcelona group needs to repeat the tests to confirm it is really the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
And even if the virus existed, it was not considered as a threat at the time. I am not sure it would have made any difference to the current state of affairs.
We have to ask if virologists could have predicted this pandemic, and if we are now set to tackle such viruses.
Old 27th June 2020, 08:08   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It's not perfect, it's not meant to be conclusive in any way, but it can work great as a 'preliminary' check to enable large-scale testing quickly.
Pool testing was always practiced in India especially in blood banks. It allows for more testing and brings down the average cost of testing. If one RT PCR costs 4000, if you pool and test ten people, average cost of testing will come down to 400.

The downside is, if one of the ten people is positive, all ten will have to be tested again individually to find out who is the real positive case. Pool testing is useful when pre probability for positive result is low. Cannot be used in Thane for example which TOI reports today that 50% of all tests are returning positive.
Old 27th June 2020, 09:11   #2781
BHPian

I think the time for rigorous testing was much more of an urgent requirement in the initial phases where an aggressive strategy was the pressing need to stem the growth of the virus.

At this stage, one could continue the testing, but may as well assume everyone's infected and work out a covid management strategy that everyone could adapt at home / work-place / in-transits / etc.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 10:13   #2782
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
.... Pool testing is useful when pre probability for positive result is low. Cannot be used in Thane for example which TOI reports today that 50% of all tests are returning positive.
No argument that it would've been far more useful during initial phases of the pandemic, but the 50% stat is misleading, because the overall number of tests conducted is still low compared to population size.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 12:11   #2783
Distinguished - BHPian

COVID-19 claims 2 lives at Bajaj Auto Waluj Plant while 200+ test positive.

Quote:
On 6th June, first case of Covid-19 positive was reported by Bajaj Waluj plant.

About 165 workers were identified as Covid-19 positive cases until 3 days ago. This number is now more than 200
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th June 2020 at 12:13.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 12:51   #2784
BHPian

For all who are looking for good Hand-sanitizer, good news is government has put a cap on the price of the sanitizer at Rs.250 for 500ml. Most of the Good brands I know of namely, in the order of my preference, Microshield from Schulke(previously J&J), Avagard series from 3m, Sterilium(Raman and Weil), Bactorub, all retail at Rs.50 for 100ml. I have been using these brands for atleast 12 years with severe cases of Pneumonias, Urinary infection etc, through the H1N1 epidemic, and cyclical diarrhoeal and Typhoid breakouts with great protection. Have not used Glove for patient examination in any of those situations but relied heavily on one of these sanitizer for proper disinfection.

Please do not buy those 5 litre cans - they are fire hazard, Alcohol evaporates easily (so use the dispensers with press action) and not required in side the home.
aadya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 13:30   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
For all who are looking for good Hand-sanitizer, good news is government has put a cap on the price of the sanitizer at Rs.250 for 500ml.
That was done on 20th March itself. The price cap was valid till 30th June. May be they have extended the date.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...0.cms?from=mdr
Old 27th June 2020, 13:44   #2786
Senior - BHPian

A query to Doctors:

Can normal individuals take a Tayo 60k tablet once every 30-40 days as a vitamin D supplement for Covid; Or perhaps one Shellcal 500 mg tablet thrice a week? Hardly anyone goes out in the sunlight under the present circumstances.

Vitamin C should not be an issue, we include citrus fruits frequently.
Old 27th June 2020, 17:59   #2787
BHPian

How the Coronavirus Short-Circuits the Immune System https://nyti.ms/3dwbRzG

Does anyone remember the infamous paper from IIT Delhi which was later retracted, where they claimed that covid is a synthetic virus due to genomic similarity to HIV virus.
Sree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 19:30   #2788
BHPian

Saw this news article today

Quote:
"We are getting cases across Goa. At present, when there is transmission all across the state, it has gone from one patient to another. Of course, we will have to say there is community transmission. We have to accept that," Sawant said.
Link

I think this is the first official statement accepting community spread in India. But I guess there isn't any need to do so anymore.

Here in Cochin, a friend's father in law recently had a hernia surgery. While admitting him, they took a nasal swab for testing. The results came 9 days later, after the surgery and discharge, and he was found positive. Now the entire family is under quarantine. I guess the doctors/OT staff might have been infected too. So far they haven't been able to trace the source of his infection.
GeneralJazz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 21:37   #2789
BHPian

Government approves use of dexamethasone.

Quote:
The drug was found to reduce mortality by one-third for patients on ventilators and one-fifth for patients on oxygen therapy.
Quote:
The Union Health Ministry on Saturday released an updated clinical management protocol for COVID-19 cases. This includes the advice to use dexamethasone as an alternative to methylprednisolone for managing moderate to severe cases.
Source
DigitalOne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 08:31   #2790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

Here in Cochin, a friend's father in law recently had a hernia surgery. While admitting him, they took a nasal swab for testing. The results came 9 days later, after the surgery and discharge, and he was found positive. Now the entire family is under quarantine. I guess the doctors/OT staff might have been infected too. So far they haven't been able to trace the source of his infection.
Why did it take 9 days to get the Covid test results!!??

If it takes so much time then testing would be pretty useless. How does anyone take any decision? You can't really wait 9 days for surgeries and all.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks