Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 10:16   #196
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Two confirmed cases in my city, Jaipur. Though both are Italian but I'm freaking out right now!
Well what I fail to understand is how were they granted access to enter the country? As a precaution they could have been denied entry and sent back!!
Old 4th March 2020, 10:24   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
WHO says case fatality rate is 3.4% but the numbers from USA puts it at 33.33% with 9 dead out of 27 confirmed cases. We are still talking about European countries and USA when it comes to data, this could turn out to be far far ugly for Indian subcontinent.
Seattle is a special case with the epicenter being a nursing home for ailing old people.
So already sick old people got infected, and it is known for elderly and those with preexisting conditions, fatality rate is much higher

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/03/healt...rus/index.html
Old 4th March 2020, 10:27   #198
Senior - BHPian

So now 15 italian toursists test positive in India.
Total confirmed cases 21.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...237-2020-03-04
Old 4th March 2020, 12:39   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
In the best interests of your family, friends and colleagues, kindly visit the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases, Bengaluru and screen yourself.

This is not just a precaution but a public duty too.

Please do keep us updated on the result.
I am sorry but is this the right course of action? In EU you are advised to stay home and call for help and not approach any public place (hospital included). It makes sense because you are bound to run into a lot more immuno compromised people there, whom you could infect, or who could be infected. No point doing that.

The best thing to do is isolate yourself at home. It doesn't spread easily when the right precautions are taken.

After any recent travel, just isolate yourself at home, maintain good hygiene habits, distance from family members, separate cutlery etc., all possible precautions you can take, for a period of 15 days. If you develop some of the symptoms do not panic. isolation should keep the chances of spreading low. Call for help so that you don't infect people.

The most important thing to remember is, getting the virus isn't a big deal. Healthy adults have a very good chance of recovering and in most cases will only suffer MILD symptoms. So do not worry. If you are infected, do not worry for yourself. Protect the elderly, children and people with underlying conditions by isolating yourself.

Just to repeat my point.

After travelling abroad, please do not walk into a hospital for precautionary checkups, just isolate yourself. Panic exacerbates the issue. You are more likely to fall sick because of the visit than the travel. You will also be burdening the system.
Old 4th March 2020, 13:16   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is there any medical test me and family should undergo to find out whether there is any infection? Help please
First of all, please do not panic. You should immediately visit Sanjay Gandhi Hospital in Jayanagar or NIMHANS(where they have set up exclusive test center for coronovirus suspects) along with your family members. Please get tested and follow their medical advise.
Old 4th March 2020, 13:21   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, I'm in a state of panic! I went to the US on 22nd Feb and returned yesterday. To and fro, both via Dubai. Now I am really worried about whether I have contacted the virus. Specially worried as I have a small kid of 4 years at home. Is there any medical test me and family should undergo to find out whether there is any infection? Help please
Do not panic; just check your temperature regularly and visit the doctor if you feel unwell, or have other symptoms like cold, cough etc.
Old 4th March 2020, 13:35   #202
Senior - BHPian

Update:
Total confirmed cases in India - 28

Italian tourists - 16
Their driver - 1
Agra - 6
Delhi - 1
Telangana - 1
Kerala - 3 (treated and totally recovered)

Total affected countries crossed 80
Old 4th March 2020, 14:00   #203
BHPian

The current picture is that, COVID-19 is highly infectious and rapidly spreading as compared to SARS, Ebola virus but has a lower mortality rate overall. SARS and Ebola had a higher mortality rate, meaning very lethal but less widespread. Either ways, the emergency and attention for nCoV-19 is warranted, as these are still initial rates coming out.

Do not panic if, Godforbid, you happen to get infected with nCoronavirus-19. Your chances of dying are very very low as compared to getting completely recovered.

Regards
Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 14:20   #204
BHPian

A lot of time these days is spent binging this website.

Have kept medication and an N95 mask in my person wherever i am travelling. There is no need to panic. One panicky person can influence others and induce a mass hysteria. Being prepared for any eventuality is important. Be aware and alert.

Like the Hitchhikers guide says on the cover" DON'T PANIC"
Old 4th March 2020, 16:09   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I'm in a state of panic! I went to the US on 22nd Feb and returned yesterday. To and fro, both via Dubai. Now I am really worried about whether I have contacted the virus. Specially worried as I have a small kid of 4 years at home. Is there any medical test me and family should undergo to find out whether there is any infection? Help please
#metoo. I returned to India via Dubai on 22nd Feb and am quite paranoid about that. I spent two weeks in Germany and at that time, people hardly bothered about the Virus there and even in Dubai I could hardly see any sort of checks in place. Now that I see Germany and Dubai reporting so many cases, I am pretty worried. As of now I am feeling fine, but badly want this week to end so that the two week window will be over.
Old 4th March 2020, 16:38   #206

With positive cases being reported at Dubai, I am literally scared to commute on Dubai Metro which usually is jam packed during peak hours. Does moving to considerably less crowded bus is a better option even if it doubles the commuting time

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th March 2020 at 17:03. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 4th March 2020, 17:46   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Do not panic...
Australians definitely need to follow this advice . Went to Woolworths this morning, was surprised to see the toilet roll shelves empty. Then found out from office colleagues about the mass hysteria (toilet paper purchase) gripping Sydney !!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...ralia-51731422
Old 4th March 2020, 17:51   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, the virus takes about 4-5 days to show the symptoms like difficulty in breathing. By that time,the lungs have already been damaged upto an extent of 50%. Try doing this:

1. Take a deep breath and hold it for 10 seconds. If you are able to hold it without coughing, then your lungs are working fine. Try doing this everyday for a the time being.

2. Boiling water is another remedy. Drink boiling water in small sips as this virus is NOT heat proof.

3. Maintain distance of minimum 3 feet from others while talking. The virus is not air-borne, it travels with the droplets from cough or sneezing of the infected person. Avoid shaking hands, touching things which are used by others in office such as door locks, tables, chairs etc.

4. Washing hands with soap and water kills the virus. Scrubbing soap for atleast 20-30 seconds. Also, to keep a bottle of sanitizer handy to use it often.

5. Have more of Ginger, Garlic and Black pepper. Having these ingredients increases body temperature which inturn kills the virus.

Hope it helps. BTW, the infected person from delhi lives in my locality.
Old 4th March 2020, 17:57   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Drink boiling water in small sips
Is that boiling water or boiled/cooled water?
Old 4th March 2020, 18:06   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post

By that time,the lungs have already been damaged upto an extent of 50%. Try doing this:

2. Boiling water is another remedy. Drink boiling water in small sips as this virus is NOT heat proof.

5. Have more of Ginger, Garlic and Black pepper. Having these ingredients increases body temperature which inturn kills the virus.
Could you please cite sources for these three points?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks