Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 10:28   #1846
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

National level lockdown has been extended till 3rd May 2020.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 10:36   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

After seeing how the number of infected and deceased in trending in different countries, there is no way China's number of 83K odd infected cases can be believed. It just seems impossible that the country where the infection started has managed to cap it at such low cases of death and infection.
sagarpadaki is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 10:50   #1848
BHPian

Have been searching for data around how many COVID-19 tests are we doing. Do we really have only 10K cases or is it just a case of insufficient testing? Found a couple of links that I found useful, sharing them here

COVID-19 Testing data at a global level
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing

COVID-19 Testing data at a national level
https://www.indiatoday.in/news-analy...587-2020-04-13

Feel free to interpret the data as appropriate.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 11:06   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
After seeing how the number of infected and deceased in trending in different countries, there is no way China's number of 83K odd infected cases can be believed. It just seems impossible that the country where the infection started has managed to cap it at such low cases of death and infection.
Numbers from China are suspect. But there is a difference in how the epidemic spread in China & in other countries.
In China, it started in a single location Wuhan. When it was locked-down & sealed, it was contained. The major spread was stopped. Later in other cities, those who visited Wuhan & who came in contact with those who visited were quarantined.
In other countries, the epidemic spread via international airports. Most of the countries have multiple international airports, with India having around 30? These served as multiple epidemic entry points into the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
A question to doctors. If there is a theory that people who have been vaccinated with BCG are less susceptible to severe vivid 19 infection does it make sense to provide a booster dose similar to that of polio ? Will this help reduce the risk of contracting severe vivid 19 infection ?
WHO has debunked BCG vaccine theory - BCG vaccine for COVID-19 not recommended

Last edited by msdivy : 14th April 2020 at 11:26.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 11:19   #1850
BHPian

A file photo ( 9th April ) of HCQ. Some one wanted to see it here.

Unexpected Source: Dawn.com ( Pakistani Newspaper )

As for WHO : No trust in what WHO says. Nil, Nada, Zilch

I would rather believe a deficient Indian Organization than WHO.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-5e94b61d62768.jpg  

Last edited by ckranjan : 14th April 2020 at 11:33.
ckranjan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 11:46   #1851
BHPian

Quote:
Its surely under reported. There is no free press or free doctors in China. There is something which they are hiding. Some foreign publications kicking up news like number of urns delivered or 21 million cell phone subscribers going off, point to faked numbers. This is only my feeling..
Old 14th April 2020, 11:48   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
In other countries, the epidemic spread via international airports. Most of the countries have multiple international airports, with India having around 30? These served as multiple epidemic entry points into the country.
And China has no international airports? Or people traveling inter-city or inter-state?

Unless they knew pretty much in the beginning itself about the virus and its implications, I fail to understand how it was contained within just one city only! its just not possible in todays world where so many people keep traveling all the time for one reason or other.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:54   #1853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Have been searching for data around how many COVID-19 tests are we doing. Do we really have only 10K cases or is it just a case of insufficient testing? Found a couple of links that I found useful, sharing them here

COVID-19 Testing data at a global level
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing

COVID-19 Testing data at a national level
https://www.indiatoday.in/news-analy...587-2020-04-13

Feel free to interpret the data as appropriate.

It is highly likely that we have more cases, as from the link you have provided we can see that there have only been 0.01 tests per 1000 people.

I spoke with an uncle who is a doctor; he says that due to the large population and lack of testing kits/sufficient manpower to test, the lockdown is the best option we have. Reasoning is that the lockdown already presumes a worst-case scenario of a large spread of the disease. However, for cases with no symptoms, the recommended course of action is isolation, which we are already doing.

Thus, only those cases which present with symptoms are tested, and further tests are carried out based on contact-tracing.

Hope my explanation makes sense!
Old 14th April 2020, 12:04   #1854
BHPian

The top ten corona infected states. Not a pretty sight.

The Coronavirus Thread-corona2.png
civic-sense is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 12:27   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Note: Quoted post has been trimmed to keep it short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
With the rise in number of cases and it would be appropriate to take extra precautions. It is important to separate the elderly (>60 years old) in our families from the rest of the younger folks.
The two files attached below detail some basic information on home quarantine that can be useful for others as well. The idea is to adopt quarantine level precautions for those at higher risk in routine day to day life, till the number of cases reduce substantially.
Quarantine should ideally be for those who are potentially exposed but in view of numerous examples where people have been breaking these protocols, it could be a good idea to quarantine (not as strict as that for an exposed person) the ones that are at risk till the number of cases start declining substantially.

Also consider the following:
3. Give your elderly the inner rooms of your homes so that you can move within or out of the house, without having to frequently touch the doors etc. of their rooms. If your parents, grandparents are living at some other place, educate them regarding the importance of social distancing and potential of transmission through surfaces. Also, I am not saying that we should ask them not to leave the room or the house. The activities should be restricted as per individuals' comfort levels. The article cited below is relevant to an airplane but can also be applied to home setting in...

5. Talk to them more often in a safe manner (refer point 1 and 2 above) so that they don't feel 'isolated' while 'separated'.
In my previous post, I had outlined few steps for the safety of the at risk population i.e. the elderly and those above 55-60 years. Those who were supposed to follow home isolation or quarantine after foreign travel didnt do so, so the idea was to apply those same guidelines for those at higher risk. In view of the rising cases, a proper guideline in the same context is now available from GoI.

The advisory also outlines an important component, taking care of mental health of the elderly, at risk population.

Advisory for senior citizens.pdf

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 14th April 2020 at 12:33. Reason: Rephrased last line.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 12:41   #1856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The top ten corona infected states. Not a pretty sight.
Not a pretty sight, also, not an accurate sight on account of -

1) Testing in many states is abysmally low and possibly improper.

2) Add to it, our reporting has always been poor - lack of proper booking keeping!

3) Many still lack access to proper health care system - the reason they are not insulated from covid is because we now have many many people from such places routinely going back and forth to various gulf countries (+ other cities) around the world.

However, one thing I guess we should be thankful about - We do not have big China-Towns in India. If we were to have even 2/3 of them like there are in San Francisco, Manhattan, Chicago, or Philadelphia - we might have faced bigger challenges during the covid times.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 13:00   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I fail to understand how it was contained within just one city only! its just not possible in todays world where so many people keep traveling all the time for one reason or other.
Sealing down Wuhan contained the virus spread. But then it had spread to other parts. Beijing, Shanghai were affected and were under quarantine. I know this because many of my colleagues were working from home for many weeks and were not allowed to go to the office in Shanghai. What the situation in India is today was the situation in China in Feb.

Last edited by msdivy : 14th April 2020 at 13:25.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 13:27   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Sealing down Wuhan contained the virus spread. But then it has spread to other parts. Beijing, Shanghai were affected and were under quarantine. I know this because many of my colleagues were working from home for many weeks and were not allowed to go to the office in Shanghai. What the situation in India today was the situation in China in Feb.
Also Sealing Wuhan was done in a way that cannot be imagined in India. I have a colleague from Wuhan and have heard first account from him.

Enforcement was done literally by going to each house. Many had doors sealed with tapes as Police does in a crime zone to be opened only at designated times to get critical deliveries only to be sealed again later.

There has been a lot of collateral damage as well. Like people with other ailments such as cancer not getting treatment because hospitals had no beds and they were not allowed to leave city even for treatment.
vibbs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 13:44   #1859
BHPian

Attached is the official report from Government of Maharashtra,
Informing about the current status of the Corona spread in the state.
I got this from twitter
https://twitter.com/Maha_MEDD/status...93448820125697

One take away is that in other parts of the state it can be controlled and weeded out using lockdown. In Mumbai, Suburbs & Pune we have to test aggressively and get the asymptomatic cases. One more graph in the PDF shows that Asymptomatic patients are 67% plus.

MEDD REPORT 13_04_2020.pdf
- Slick

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th April 2020 at 21:28. Reason: Wrongly uploaded image tags removed. Thanks
Slick is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 14:53   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Every other nation that cross the numbers reported by China, is a new reconfirmation to me that those numbers don't hold ground.
'Even a toddler can understand that' as Economist Danielle DiMartino Booth says in this video. Listen 1:23 onward if you find it long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks