Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 13:00   #1711
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Glad to know you guys are still receiving newspapers. Here in Mumbai we haven't received newspapers since 23rd March! I hate reading e-paper online, there's nothing quite like reading physical copy of newspapers first thing in the morning.
My Dad has been phoning up relatives abroad after getting news on whatsapp & telling them how ayurveda cured Princes Charles of Covid-19, which offcourse isn't true!
Newspapers were never even out of the question !! Maybe it is the delivery and logisitics as Mumbai has become a hot zone for the virus.

In Agra / Delhi and North India not a single city has papers that were stopped even for one day minus the first day of lockdown 22nd.

However newspaper vendors have been asked to do there deliveries before 6 AM at any cost.
Old 6th April 2020, 13:26   #1712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
In Agra / Delhi and North India not a single city has papers that were stopped even for one day minus the first day of lockdown 22nd.
Well, I am not receiving newspaper since 22nd. Entire locality in fact.

Though I am not missing them. I usually access my newspaper through https://epaper.timesgroup.com/ even when I have hard copy at home because I can't carry newspaper everywhere but can go through the e-version conveniently.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th April 2020 at 18:42. Reason: Spacing.
Old 6th April 2020, 13:51   #1713
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Maybe it is the delivery and logisitics as Mumbai has become a hot zone for the virus.
I assume so. Although newspaper delivery supply chain is allowed under print media. As per reports, the vendors association after consultation were supposed to start delivering in Mumbai again from 1st April.
Old 6th April 2020, 15:34   #1714
AZT
BHPian

Update on animals being able to get infected: Fruit bats and ferrets are susceptible, pigs and chickens are not

Quote:
The Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut (FLI) started infection studies in pigs, chickens, fruit bats, and ferrets several weeks ago. First results show that fruit bats and ferrets are susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection, whereas pigs and chickens are not. The susceptibility of ferrets in particular is an important finding, as they could be used as model animals for human infection to test vaccines or drugs.
Read more : https://www.fli.de/en/press/press-re...ckens-are-not/

Last edited by AZT : 6th April 2020 at 15:37.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:55   #1715
PGA
BHPian

Mumbai Hospital Cordoned Off As 26 Nurses, 3 Doctors Test COVID-19 +ve

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mumb...ve-for-2206851

This is just not done, in the start only one of our prime defence collapses in the prime city without a fight. I just hope this is just a sensational journalism.

I wonder what kind of systems were put in place to safeguard this facility and its staff knowing what a layman has been aware for a month now.

Iam quite sure now that we are in for a long and bloody haul, our PM mentioned the same today, hope our defences hold up.

Would have been a morale boosting affair if we had constructed a few hospitals in ten days what China and few more countries did, built up our capabilities in the notice we got. We cannot flatter to deceive again with total media going gaga on low cost good for nothing ventilators. We need to put on ground people, institutions that deliver may be military and not same set of people who push files and are only good at giving orders and delivering nothing.
PGA is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 16:31   #1716
BHPian

As someone pointed out regarding delivery of newspapers, I would like put out an observation. Though we had stopped delivery of newspapers at home when Janta Curfew was imposed, I am pleasantly surprised that ICICI bank (where I have account) has been sending me links for reading e-papers of newspapers free of cost (screenshot attached). Members may inform whether other banks are also offering such services.

Further, though it has happened in such circumstances, but I have observed that there has been positive changes in the environment/nature due to this lockdown. I regularly hear birds chirping, stars in the night sky, feel the clean air and the bright green leaves of trees in front of my home which were earlier always drowned in a thick layer of dust.

I hope we learn something from these circumstances and emerge out a better race.

The Coronavirus Thread-7c170b78dd6d439cbca517adc436131d.jpeg

The Coronavirus Thread-40f18ef01f514f68afa98a4963bb2d59.jpeg

The Coronavirus Thread-46c4b8da481747beaeb3d1dacc339f34.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 6th April 2020 at 18:42. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Amity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 16:31   #1717
BHPian

Tesla's (under development) ventilator. Seems to be the most functional one amongst the many being developed in the automotive sector.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th April 2020 at 18:43. Reason: Spacing.
mn2363 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 18:31   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity View Post
embers may inform whether other banks are also offering such services.
I also get PDF newspaper links from ICICI Bank, freecharge and mygate app.
Old 6th April 2020, 19:54   #1719
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Walk-In COVID-19 Test Kiosks Built In Kerala.

Quote:
This is being used in India most likely for the first time. And this targetting mass screening. This will reduce the need for more PPE kits, and we will be able to test more in less time. This will first start in Kalamassery Medical College.

Six Walk-in Sample Kiosks have been built in Kerala's Ernakulam district.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th April 2020 at 19:56.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 20:24   #1720
BHPian

Apparently a tiger has tested positive in USA.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75013462.cms

ckranjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 20:27   #1721
BHPian

Sad news - A tiger at the Bronx Zoo, NY tests positive for Covid-19.

The Coronavirus Thread-_111627555_gettyimages6743966061.jpg

Quote:
The tiger, named Nadia, is believed to be the first known case of an animal infected with Covid-19 in the US. The Bronx Zoo, in New York City, says the test result was confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Iowa.

Nadia, along with six other big cats, is thought to have been infected by an asymptomatic zoo keeper. The cats started showing symptoms, including a dry cough, late last month after exposure to the employee, who has not been identified.

"This is the first time that any of us know of anywhere in the world that a person infected the animal and the animal got sick," Paul Calle, the chief veterinarian at the zoo, told Reuters news agency on Sunday. There have been isolated instances of pets testing positive for the coronavirus elsewhere in the world, but experts have stressed there is no evidence they can become sick or spread the disease.
Source

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 23:30   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Mumbai Hospital Cordoned Off As 26 Nurses, 3 Doctors Test COVID-19 +ve

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mumb...ve-for-2206851

This is just not done, in the start only one of our prime defence collapses in the prime city without a fight. I just hope this is just a sensational journalism.

I wonder what kind of systems were put in place to safeguard this facility and its staff knowing what a layman has been aware for a month now.

Jaslok Hospital has also been declared as containment zone (10 Covid-19 positive staffers, including six nurses) in addition to Wockhardt.

Last edited by greenoval : 6th April 2020 at 23:32.
greenoval is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 00:14   #1723
BHPian

Should the WHO be criticized for this? The Dy. PM of Japan called WHO - Chinese Health Organization.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-eu78u3eu4aituoc.jpeg  

Last edited by ckranjan : 7th April 2020 at 00:19.
Old 7th April 2020, 07:29   #1724
Senior - BHPian

It was a mood tonic of sorts, at least that's how we felt after the event. My kids had few hours of fun preparing for it, searching candles in the home, preparing dias, getting ready etc. Helped lift the gloom for some time. People came out to the balconies and hooted and cheered. It was an enjoyable time.

I was also skeptic before this, but I am happy it happened. These are gloomy times and being cloistered in the home has its own side effects. Maybe some people like me need this tonic to break the monotonicity that has seeped in our lives.
joslicx is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 07:38   #1725
BHPian

So, going by latest updates, the Prime Minister of U.K. is currently in ICU

https://cnn.it/3dYt0n5
Safety is Param is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed