You Tube Music 55 13.48%
Google Music 14 3.43%
Some other 95 23.28%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 13:38   #91
BHPian

Re: Which music streaming platform do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Spent Rs 399/ - on a JioSaavn subscription and it seems to be a waste. Search takes long and songs don't play most of the time ( Cannot playback song at this time - try later ).

This is on an iphone. I have other music apps like amazon music and spotify and I don't see any issues with them. Anyone else faced this issue ?
Yes, its pathetic compared to Spotify and amazon music. I rarely use it nowadays. Mines an Android.
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 16:21   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Since quite some time, I have been facing a trouble playing the right version of song (mostly the original version or the OST) over my Google smart speaker through voice command. This is happening with both Hindi and English songs and it is rare the speaker would play the correct version- like 1 in a 20 times may be; and would rather play stage/ live/ other language versions of the song.

I have tried changing service providers like Wynk/ Saavn/ Gaana and this issue persists. I have Amazon music subscription but apparently Google & Amazon don't talk.

Any pointers for resolving this issue?

Thanks.

Last edited by saket77 : 23rd November 2022 at 16:25.
Old 23rd November 2022, 17:24   #93
BHPian

Was using prime since it was free with my prime account. Later tried spotify and now I use only this !
Has good playlists in english, kannada and hindi. Not sure will try anything else !
Old 23rd November 2022, 17:43   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have ~3,000 songs in my neatly-organised iTunes.
Try Foobar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Surprised to see Tidal and Qobuz

Raspberry Pi, Volumio
Do you need a VPN for Tidal?

Since you have an RPi and are familiar with Volumio, try and add a better transport HAT (Pi2AES makes a decent one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
I find Tidal to be quite good
I assumed Tidal wasn't officially available in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In all honesty, I have been quite late joining the music streaming scene.

But I have hundreds, if not thousands of CDs

Yes, I still have three iPods as well!
Me too. Old habits die hard. I still use CDs and iPods. I ripped all my CDs (EAC/WavPack/FLAC) to a hard disk and use Foobar to playback from the hard disk.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 22:30   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Do you need a VPN for Tidal?

Since you have an RPi and are familiar with Volumio, try and add a better transport HAT (Pi2AES makes a decent one).

I assumed Tidal wasn't officially available in India.
You need VPN only during first time signing up / creating the Free Trial account. You can leverage even browser proxies to get past this step. Thereafter you do not need VPN use the credentials to login on browser or app or music streamer. There are several school of thoughts around Tidal Turkey being cheaper than Tidal US with some acceptable library limitations but I have aligned to US for last 3-4 years and happy with results.

For more details refer to the discussion here https://www.hifivision.com/threads/t...n-india.78891/

Regarding Hats, yes I do use. From 2012 to 2017 I used RPI without a Hat directly plugging to USB DAC but once Allo launched Digione hat (and coaxial out) in 2017 I switched to using that along with Volumio, used to rely on Rune (not Roon) and Moode earlier. The switch to Volumio was only to support TIDAL as it had started supporting TIDAL natively from a very early stage through its paid My Volumio program. MQA supports flawlessly and recently TIDAL has upgraded many Indian albums to MQA but MQA - TIDAL - Volumio - RPI does have a limitation of unfolding to 88.2 KHz max sample rate per my last check in 2021. This limitation is not there on PC or even the UAPP app I used on Android.

Having said all of the above, I keep my CD playing habit active although I do not have a large collection but do possess some rare ones, apart from that NAS based files and Spotify form my other sources. Vinyl setup is there but lying idle, no time to revive.

Last edited by haisaikat : 23rd November 2022 at 22:33.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 07:31   #96
Senior - BHPian

Never been a huge fan of streaming music for many years, but now in recent times have used YT/YT Music and like others said, it has a large library. Currently enjoying a mix of YT music, current affairs , TED (or equivalent) talk shows.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 24th November 2022 at 07:33.
Old 1st May 2024, 14:46   #97

The beat goes on | Comparing music streaming platforms

Hey fellow petrolheads,

While we love discussing cars, let's take a detour and talk about another passion: music! With the plethora of music streaming platforms available today, I'm curious to know which one you prefer and why.

Which music streaming platform do you prefer?-images-31.jpeg

I'll kick things off by sharing my experience. I used to juggle between Spotify and Poweramp for playing my FLAC files. However, after discovering that Spotify can play locally stored FLAC music, I've completely shifted to Spotify. The convenience and seamless integration have won me over.

Now, I'm eager to hear from you all. Do you swear by the personalized playlists on Spotify? Or maybe you're a loyalist to Apple Music's integration with your existing Apple ecosystem. Perhaps you enjoy the diverse catalog on YouTube Music, or the high-quality audio on Tidal.

Also, I'm curious: do you prefer locally stored music or online streaming? Share your experiences, pros, and cons of both approaches. Let's see if we can discover some hidden gems or helpful tips from each other!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,
OptimusPrime1
OptimusPrime1 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 23:43   #98

re: The beat goes on | Comparing music streaming platforms

Spotify user here, I kind of got locked-in with my whole family using it. I am on a family plan.
But otherwise I have good things to say about Tidal, I tried it during the early years but I didn't really have good audiophile grade hardware to really hear the different b/w it and Spotify's "very high" quality setting.

Now I have the hardware I'm locked in basically, also Tidal's a bit pricey from what I remember.

I also have Amazon Music which has a good catalog but lacks Spotify's selection of curated playlists. IMHO it's Spotify's biggest strength.
Light is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 00:39   #99
BHPian

Apple Music on Andoid and Windows. YT Music occasionally. Love the SQ adjustment options on Apple Music. We do have subscriptions for Spotify, Prime Music and others, but never used.
xotiq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 01:10   #100
BHPian

Amazon Music for the car (top class quality and no ads), Spotify for everywhere else. Its recommendations have been pretty solid over the years.

I have to say though, Spotify constantly turning things that used to be free into "premium" features is getting annoying. Most recent of these being the ability to view lyrics. Imagine listening to a System of a Down song without the lyrics.

Mods, a poll would be great!
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 02:31   #101
BHPian

Have been using Apple Music since 2018. The song recommendations are not as good as on YouTube, where I sometimes stream, but I hardly ever listen to anything other than the songs on my playlist.

Have some friends who maintain very good playlists on Apple Music for every occasion—road trips, the occasional emotional ones, etc.—and it sure does help to access their playlist while they do all the work.

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 2nd May 2024 at 02:32.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 05:19   #102
BHPian

Amazon Music and Spotify. I prefer Amazon music in the car and Spotify at home. I find the quality better in Amazon music.
Cheers
rajeevsulu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 06:59   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been on Spotify Premium for a while now. Diverse range of music and the high quality setting is pretty good for my needs.

Having said that, recently opted for YouTube premium family plan and while I did it for the YouTube video benefits, I found that YouTube music premium is very good. Quality and auto playlists seem right up there with Spotify. So currently on YouTube Music. If it continues to be good, may give up Spotify Premium.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 08:12   #104
BHPian

It seems YouTube Music users are in the minority . I have been using YT Music for a couple of years now for mainly four reasons = diverse range of songs, great recommendations, simple & easy to navigate user interface and integration with YouTube. Yes, the inability to listen to songs when not in the app and the ads are a fly in the ointment, but I can live with it.

Earlier, I was told that Spotify is one of the best in the terms of songs library and recommendations. But I’m not happy with the fact that Spotify are pushing customers to go premium for basic features and functions. It feels like you’re handicapped without a premium subscription, which is not the case with YT Music. Therefore, we restrict our Spotify usage to the car only.

I wonder if anyone is still using Gaana . Been long since I heard of it. IIRC it was the king of the game years back.

Last edited by CentreOfGravity : 2nd May 2024 at 08:15.
CentreOfGravity is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 08:53   #105
BHPian

I only use YouTube Music because it has an amazing collection of songs and offers awesome recommendations. Its ability to create custom playlists tailored to users' tastes is top-notch. Like Spotify, users can share their playlists, and I often stumble upon random ones on the homepage that turn out to be brilliant. This way, I've discovered some hidden gems that I would have otherwise missed. Best of all, it's included in YouTube's premium plan, making it a win-win overall.
MotoBlip is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks