Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 00:06   #181
BHPian

Re: Whats the Best way to transport a car or bike?

Hi Guys,

I am currently staying in Gurgaon. I intend to send my i10 to mumbai and get my scorpio from Mumbai

Which is the best transporter that can be used ? and what would be approx cost?

The location in Gurgaon and Mumbai will be same. Pick up and drop locations.

Please suggest

Thanks
Vish
Old 28th October 2016, 00:21   #182
BHPian

Dear all:

I am stuck with a unique problem. I purchased a DS500 in Nagpur a month back and got transferred to Gurgaon a week later! I intended to drive the bike from Nagpur to Delhi in a span of 2 days over Diwali vacay and even planned for the route and acco, but unfortunately I injured my lower back 10 days back and now I have been advised to avoid long drives on a bike by the physio at Fortis hospital.

I have had torrid experiences transferring my Avenger previously in different parts of the country. I have used Railways, Road transport and self drive as options to shift my bike earlier and have had bad experiences most of the time. At one of the occasions my bike was untraceable for 21 days while being shipped by BlueDart from Bangalore to Nagpur. The train transfer from Vizag to Bangalore had taken 15 days 3 years earlier in 2013.

I am no mood to ship my new bike by rail/road (fearing the damages) and I cant even self drive it from Nagpur. Also the bike is driven for 350 kms only. I will get it serviced in Nagpur but the running in of the bike is also an issue.

Totally confused about this mess. Any valuable suggestions to get my bike transferred to Gurgaon?
Old 28th October 2016, 06:59   #183
Senior - BHPian

Train and Truck Transport remain the best ways to move vehicles up and down the country.
Unless the destination is within driving distance and one doesn't mind the drive.
Ensure Transit Insurance though.
Best would be to work through a First class Packer-Mover Company. Takes the headache out of the equation.
Old 16th March 2017, 11:59   #184
BHPian

Friends, I intend to transport my wife's 1972 Fiat 1100 from Delhi to Bangalore. The car is in original condition, and still has its original coat of factory paint and original upholstery. It has not run for the past five years, but is garaged and dry. Given the current policies of the government, the car cannot be run on the roads of Delhi, so I'll probably have to move it my truck from door to door; that is, from Mayur Vihar, where it is currently parked, to my home in Bangalore. Who do you think is the best possible mover for this? On this thread I've read mixed reports about Agarwal Packers, but the others also don't seem to fare very well either. Are there any low floor trailers available, which I can hire/buy, for transportation of the vehicle on my own? I have a Yeti, which I could use to tow the trailer to Bangalore. Is that worth the trouble?
Old 4th July 2018, 12:49   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Are there any low floor trailers available, which I can hire/buy, for transportation of the vehicle on my own? I have a Yeti, which I could use to tow the trailer to Bangalore. Is that worth the trouble?
Apologies If i sound very stupid, how feasible would it be to hire a flat bed to transport our beloved rides?
Old 4th July 2018, 13:02   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a dedicated flat bed for a bike! A first for me.

Whats the Best way to transport a car or bike?-img_7061.jpg
Old 17th March 2020, 17:32   #187
BHPian

Hey guys! I've been planning to transporting my car to Kerala from Delhi since i am relocating to Cochin with a month.

Now, as i've two options - one is to drive it down and second most obvious through a road transport. Few reputed transporters have quoted me around 20-25k however very skeptical of shady practices by most agencies.

hence considering to drive it down to Cochin, which warrants few questions :
1) If 2900 kms is roughly estimate, is it doable in a I20 petrol? It is running on stock Apollo 185/70 R14s.
2) Which route should be preferred? appreciate inputs from fellow bhpians who've done this trip.
3)Do the toll gates along the route are fastag enabled?
4) Approx. expenditure of whole trip including Fuel.
Old 17th March 2020, 18:01   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby92 View Post
1) If 2900 kms is roughly estimate, is it doable in a I20 petrol? It is running on stock Apollo 185/70 R14s.
If there are no issues with the car, why not? A 3000km trip is nothing for any modern car.

If you have the time, just drive it down. Plan your night halts in advance, cover as many km a day as you are comfortable with. Avoid driving at night.

If you have a co-driver, even better.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 14:13   #189
BHPian

Sometime in the near future, thinking of shifting back to my hometown which will be close to a 3k kms road trip from Hyderabad. Planning to dismantle my Aprilia SR 150 and carry it in my EcoSport as I won't have much luggage.

Have tried out other means earlier: Train for a pulsar 150, Truck for an Alto. Not so good experience on the train transfer, was okay for the truck. Imagining the possibility for taking the 2-wheeler inside the 4-wheeler now and will start taking measurements soon.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 15:09   #190
BHPian

Quote:
2) Which route should be preferred? appreciate inputs from fellow bhpians who've done this trip.
If you have the time and energy, drive down. The experience is really good. Also, be aware that your vehicle is not insured while being transported on a carrier vehicle. The cost of insuring car during transport is prohibitive.

To answer:
1. Definitely doable as other people have pointed out too. Just make sure your car is in a good condition, brakes and tires are up to scratch. There are enough good threads on the forum to tell you all.

2. While I haven't done the route myself, I imagine the straightest shot down should be the best, Delhi - Agra - Gwalior - Nagpur - Hyderabad - Bangalore - Kerala.

3. Most of the larger tolls are Fastag enabled now. The list should help.

4. The expenditure is dependent on the fuel efficiency, the kind of hotels you use, number of stops etc. In my experience the fuel typically works out to 5-6 INR /Km and ~1 INR /Km. But again hugely dependent on vehicle, driver/ driving style etc etc.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 15:26   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
Sometime in the near future, thinking of shifting back to my hometown which will be close to a 3k kms road trip from Hyderabad. Planning to dismantle my Aprilia SR 150 and carry it in my EcoSport as I won't have much luggage.

Have tried out other means earlier: Train for a pulsar 150, Truck for an Alto. Not so good experience on the train transfer, was okay for the truck. Imagining the possibility for taking the 2-wheeler inside the 4-wheeler now and will start taking measurements soon.
I don't know where you hometown is, but if its connected by Volvo buses, would suggest connecting travel companies for the Aprilia. Few years back we sent a scooter from Mumbai to Kolhapur and it was a pleasant experience. The only downside is you have go to the central office for loading and unloading which could be far from the usual bus stop of the service. I won't recommend taking a scooter inside a car as it would just end up being too much of a bother (dismantling, securely carrying it inside and safely in the event of an accident).
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 15:47   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I don't know where you hometown is, but if its connected by Volvo buses, would suggest connecting travel companies for the Aprilia. I won't recommend taking a scooter inside a car as it would just end up being too much of a bother (dismantling, securely carrying it inside and safely in the event of an accident).
Noted. I have to travel all the way till Jorhat, which is in Assam. So the next best option will be via train.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 16:18   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
If you have the time and energy, drive down. The experience is really good. Also, be aware that your vehicle is not insured while being transported on a carrier vehicle. The cost of insuring car during transport is prohibitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
If there are no issues with the car, why not? A 3000km trip is nothing for any modern car.
Thanks a lot! Guess i'll take my chances with ultra long road trip. Will keep posted.
Old 19th March 2020, 16:35   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Guess i'll take my chances with ultra long road trip. Will keep posted.
2900 kms is quite long but will let you take another look at 'ultra long', the folks here are absolutely crazy about going that distance...

Here are some of the gems:

(72000 km with my Ford Endeavour 3.2L - Ownership Experience)prateekvidya with the Ford Endeavour

Quote:
Golden Quadrilateral - We (me and bhpian Ragh_bhushan) decided to drive non-stop through Delhi - Kolkata - Chennai - Bangalore - Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Delhi route. The car was driven (rather pushed) for a good 73 hours in a go as we finished the entire route in 77 hours (missing the Limca record by just 1 hour
The Ragh_bhushan in the above text with his Furteela.

While not in this league, have driven my car Bombay to Kanyakumari and back, ~4200 kms round trip. Not counting the multiple Bombay - Delhi trip with my partner in crime pm25264.

Believe me its entirely doable. Just prep well and enjoy the experience.
Old 20th March 2020, 01:49   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driving 3,000 km is absolutely no problem. I have done Bangalore Bombay up and down various times. 1,000 km in one day in a 98 Zen, '09 Alto and '06 Fiesta. The i20 should be able to do the drive very peacefully.

Most tolls are Fastag enabled. You will get the odd one in places which demand cash, so ensure you have some in hand.

Fuel cost depends on how you drive. You should get between 10 and 15 kmpl. Between 200 and 300 litres of petrol. Assuming 75 rupees average per litre, consider 15 to 20 thousand as an approximate cost for petrol. Assume you will stop at least for two or maybe 3 nights. Take around 1500 to 2000 for a decent hotel. So maybe 10 thousand for hotels and food depending on where you stop and eat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks