Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 17:12   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: IKEA stores in India

The Mumbai store will open by July. Staff has already been hired and trained. Obviously it's best to avoid going for the first 3 months or so till the regular tourist crowds are visiting en masse
Old 31st May 2019, 19:36   #77
Team-BHP Support

The better half and I drove to the HYD store a few weeks ago.

It's humongous, but is organized with clockwork precision. Well-trained staff, clearly marked/located items and a self-service area to pick up flat-packed stuff ready-to-ship. Their app is great to make lists and to track down exactly where the bit you want is located in the warehouse. Neat!

We bought a bunch of furniture (shipped via their partner Xpeed), and carried a load of smaller items by ourselves. Shipping charges added up to a reasonable ~10% of our total items purchase (they charge 1500 INR for the first 50 kgs, then INR 19/kg), and stuff was delivered in 5 working days to our doorstep undamaged.

Very impressed, and we could possibly return in the future. The roads are lovely for a long drive too, so neither of us was complaining at the end of it.

P.S. The stuff itself seems well-built, though it's early to comment on durability. Instruction manuals are pictorial with minimal text (so no language barriers for a DIY) and necessary tools are usually included (except regular stuff like screwdrivers). We were able to assemble everything by ourselves, quite a workout though!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st May 2019 at 19:46.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 23:50   #78
BANNED

Spotted this en-route home.

IKEA stores in India-img_20190620_2242191600x1600.jpg
Old 17th June 2021, 12:09   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Ikea begins home delivery of products in Bengaluru.

IKEA stores in India-e3_afpvviaycvqh.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 15:32   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Attachment 2168065
This is a piece of good news for people in Bangalore. I have been waiting for this for quite some time now. Thank you for the update.

It was really annoying to shell out more than what it was to have IKEA products delivered in Bangalore from the e-commerce giant Amazon. Finally, it is here and it feels good to have some quality, VFM home furniture.
Old 17th June 2021, 19:54   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Indeed a piece of good news for us Bengalureans
IKEA stores in India-screenshot-20210617-123236.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatJordan View Post
It was really annoying to shell out more than what it was to have IKEA products delivered in Bangalore from the e-commerce giant Amazon.
I have been getting Ikea items delivered to my home for more than a year now without additional charges via Home Brigade. they used to deliver everything from Ikea Hyderabad to my home in Bengaluru.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 21:24   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I have been getting Ikea items delivered to my home for more than a year now without additional charges via Home Brigade. they used to deliver everything from Ikea Hyderabad to my home in Bengaluru.
Interesting! Never knew of this outfit. What is their business model if they are not charging you anything? IKEA are not likely to pass on any bulk discounts either.

By the way, already bought a bunch of stuff off the IKEA site coming to just under 60 kg. The 'large orders' delivery I feel is too slow (12 days), especially as they are charging ₹1,499 for it.

Here are the BLR shipping rates from their website:

Small Orders (Parcel)
0- 5 kg - Rs. 299
5-12 kg - Rs. 499
12-20 kg - Rs. 699

Large Orders (Truck)
20-60kg - Rs. 1,499
60-100 kg - Rs. 2,999
100-150 kg - Rs. 3,499
150-200 kg - Rs. 3,999
200+ kg - Rs. 4,499

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th June 2021 at 21:29.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 22:22   #83
BHPian

This is good news indeed. Having just remodeled our home, we were looking out for furniture. Got quite a bit of stuff from Pepper Fry but held on for seating furniture. Now that IKEA is delivering to Blore will get this sorted out too.
Old 21st July 2021, 20:41   #84
BHPian

Is anyone planning a weekend drive to Hyderabad? If yes, when ? I am planning to start at 5:30 am on Saturday. Also , is any rtpcr report required on entering Telengana ?
Old 21st July 2021, 20:44   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Also , is any rtpcr report required on entering Telengana ?
No RT-PCR test is required for entering Telangana.
Aiel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 21:05   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

After delivery to Bengaluru began, for many days the only thing i saw was a message saying

"Hej Bengaluru, we're experiencing high demand. If you're not able to shop, keep your carts ready and please try tomorrow."

Then i came to know from a friend that orders open up each day and after some number of orders are shipped, it'll close again. So if we keep on trying, we'll get it. So I had many items in my cart and kept on trying. One fine afternoon i indeed got through and could order it.

Then after 4 days, the items were delivered home. As with all IKEA items, assembly was very simple. I was thinking of Going to Hyderabad but with this, it has saved me a lot of time and fuel cost.

IKEA stores in India-20210715_125453.jpg
Old 22nd July 2021, 00:35   #87
BHPian

The IKEA store that has opened in "Mumbai" is actually in Navi Mumbai, which is technically on the outskirts of the outskirts.
For me, it will be almost like a one-day trip. Mom has been supremely excited ever since it's opened but we've been delaying a visit as far as possible. Any Mumbai BHP-ians who have visited this store please advise if it's actually worth a visit. Have heard a lot of hype about IKEA but hoping it's not a damp squib!
P.s. I stay in South Mumbai, so it's approx a 2 hr drive for me, almost halfway to Pune!
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 07:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Is anyone planning a weekend drive to Hyderabad? If yes, when ? I am planning to start at 5:30 am on Saturday. Also , is any rtpcr report required on entering Telengana ?
Me and my friend are planning to start about same time (or little earlier) to Hyderabad, main purpose is Ikea and Paradise biriyani
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:01   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Have heard a lot of hype about IKEA but hoping it's not a damp squib!
P.s. I stay in South Mumbai, so it's approx a 2 hr drive for me, almost halfway to Pune!
Not been to Mumbai IKEA but have visited couple of other IKEA showrooms. I also know that Almost all IKEA showrooms are almost similar.
If you're setting up a new home or renovating yours, an IKEA visit is highly recommended. Also if you are ready to throw out old things and replace them with new items, you should visit. But otherwise, you'll be tempted to buy things that you won't need. The elegant looking functional designs at reasonable prices of IKEA items can turn you into a shopoholic. And if you are even half good with DIY, you can put everything up in no time. Worth a visit for sure.
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:19   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
T
If you take the Eastern Freeway, it will be a whiz and anyways, 2hrs to anywhere within Mumbai city is normal .
To answer whether it is worth it or not, if you have a list of items to buy, then yes worth it. For aimless browsing and picking up useless things that you buy but don't need, not worth it.
For me, I was going to shift into my new house, so took the decorator to IKEA and we picked up a lot of useful fittings for the house. Even post shifting and since we have an idea on what is needed, it becomes easier to order from IKEA.

On a different note. IKEA returns are the pits. I ordered 3 things online, which took 14 days to deliver. Immediately disliked one item, so didn't even unpack and tried to locate how to return.
Toll-free number is unattended,Emails are never replied.
Finally tweeted and someone replied. It has been 10 days since my 1st email & tweet and I am still waiting for a return authorisation. Their e-commerce is retarded with no tracking or purchase history. They have a long way to go for e-tailing.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed