Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2020, 14:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: The best business magazines & publications

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have read some of their long-form business articles and they are usually top-class . It loads in incognito, so no issues with paywall.
Actually business is not their forte!

Since I subscribe didn't bother to check out how fallible their paywall is, but I think there is a monthly limit to free articles. NYT showed how to beat incognito mode, and others followed suit.

Sutripta
Old 25th September 2020, 16:00   #47
BHPian

re: The best business magazines & publications

Apple News+ is really a steal for $9.99 per month considering it includes WSJ, Bloomberg, NYTimes, New Yorker, Time, National Geographic, Fortune, Forbes, etc.
Pity it isn't available in India
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:04   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The best business magazines & publications

Here is an updated review of all my business subscriptions:

- NYTimes Business Articles are the gold standard. Some very good user comments too (if you sort them by reader picks).

- Bloomberg Businessweek = Again, the gold standard for in-depth, well-written business writing.

- Fortune Magazine: Just went behind a paywall @ $5 a month. Brilliant, brilliant business articles. Easily 5 out of 5 stars. Unlike Forbes, Fortune has maintained their top-class quality, despite print circulation going down.

- Wall Street Journal: Some are good, most are mediocre. Long-form articles aren't in the same league as NYT & Bloomberg. They recently had a good one on Mary Barra though.

- Outlook Business: Above average. A handful of articles are brilliant (e.g. their story on Yes Bank), but most are average or above average. I won't be renewing my subscription with them.

- The-Ken. Quality has gone down. That said, out of 5 articles, 1 turns out brilliant and makes the subscription worth it.

- The Morning Context: Mediocre. I am subscribed, but don't go there as often. A pity because I remain a big fan of Ashish Mishra's writing skills. IMHO, he is one of the best business journalists in the country, like the top 1%. But somehow, am not seeing quality output in the Morning Context.

- Am also subscribed to the NewYorker & Vanity Fair. While these two aren't business publications, they do write outstanding long-form business stories from time to time (example 1 & 2).

Have resigned myself to the fact that business articles in India are mostly junk. There are a few diamonds, but they are too hard to find.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- The Morning Context: Mediocre. I am subscribed, but don't go there as often. A pity because I remain a big fan of Ashish Mishra's writing skills. IMHO, he is one of the best business journalists in the country, like the top 1%. But somehow, am not seeing quality output in the Morning Context.

- Am also subscribed to the NewYorker & Vanity Fair. While these two aren't business publications, they do write outstanding long-form business stories from time to time (example 1 & 2).

Have resigned myself to the fact that business articles in India are mostly junk. There are a few diamonds, but they are too hard to find.
Thanks for the list!

Infact I just wanted to ask you about The Morning Context. Thier articles were trending on twitter a couple of days back.

About Vanity Fair, that is very true. Vanity Fair had this writer called William Langeweische who used to write these spectacular long-forms on airline crash investigation.

His write-up of the Air France 447 is a great read.

THE HUMAN FACTOR
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 19:19   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Here is an updated review of all my business subscriptions:

- The-Ken. Quality has gone down. That said, out of 5 articles, 1 turns out brilliant and makes the subscription worth it.

I agree. I get the feeling the focus has shifted to their newsletters, The Nutgraf and Beyond The First Order.

Fortunately both of them are good enough on their own to justify continuing my subscription
DaiusPitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 16:51   #51
AZT
BHPian

Brilliant article about the New York Times I came across on another forum. It talks about how the company reinvented itself and is now making more revenue than they ever have. Definitely worth a read for both content and presentation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qy3nfaxjip...Times.pdf?dl=0
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:08   #52
Team-BHP Support

Apparently there is a new law in India restricting FDI in media to 26%. Read the following Ken article (free) for details.

https://the-ken.com/burst-the-bubble...ndia-media-fdi
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:15   #53
BHPian

I subscribe to the WSJ and the FT. Both for breaking news and short opinion pieces (Some of the authors have really good relationship with top Central Bankers and what's opinion today becomes news a few days later) rather than long form content.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

It seems that "The Ken" and "The Morning Context" has got some beef between them and the matter reached the courts.

Still calm, still carrying on
by THE MORNING CONTEXT TEAM

Quote:
Late last year, Kenrise Media Private Limited, also known as The Ken, along with Rohin Dharmakumar, Seema Singh and Sumanth Raghavendra (Plaintiffs) filed a lawsuit against Ashish K. Mishra, Editor of The Morning Context, and Harveen Ahluwalia, Pranav S, Pradip K. Saha and Priya Bubna, the co-founders of The Morning Context. In their lawsuit before the commercial court in Bengaluru, the Plaintiffs made several false and malicious claims with a plea that they be granted three ad interim reliefs—in effect asking that: A: Ashish K. Mishra be restrained from carrying out his profession, and The Morning Context and all defendants be restrained from doing business. B: The Morning Context be restrained from utilizing any confidential data, which The Ken alleged the defendants had stolen. C: All defendants be restrained from soliciting services and business of The Ken.

The order in the matter was passed yesterday. The Hon’ble Court has rejected all the three interim reliefs sought by The Ken.

We are delighted with the Court order. It strengthens our belief in what we set out to do at The Morning Context. Tell stories that matter which serve just one person: you, the reader.
Old 25th October 2020, 02:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

For long form lovers, came across this amazing one on John DeLorean the renegade automobile engineer & founder of DeLorean Motor Company.

Long before Elon Musk, a visionary automaker showed how ugly the American Dream could be.

An excerpt:

In Zachary DeLorean’s little house on Detroit’s Near East side they speak Rumanian. Zachary is from Bucharest. Zachary has a way with machines but his poor English holds him back. He starts and ends his career on the factory floor at Ford. He’s a thwarted man and a payday drunk. He fights in bars and knocks his wife around. Her name is Kathryn Pribak DeLorean. Their oldest son is John DeLorean, born January 6, 1925.

She divorces Zachary in the ‘40s and John never sees him again. When Zachary dies of throat cancer in 1968, the Ford plant calls and asks John to come pick up his father’s toolbox. John lives with his mother until he marries Elizabeth Higgins in 1954. She’s a phone-company receptionist. They never have children.

In 1956, John DeLorean leaves a research and development job at Packard and goes to work for General Motors. At the time it’s the biggest car company on Earth. DeLorean works in engineering at Pontiac. It’s a struggling division with no real brand identity, but John’s new boss, Bunkie Knudsen, is beginning to turn things around. He’s started supplying Pontiac product to stock-car drivers. NASCAR is a decade old and Cotton Owens has just won a title at the Daytona Beach & Road Course in a Pontiac...
Old 18th March 2021, 13:29   #56

Hi

This was a very informative thread and thanks to all of you referenced me some very good material to read. Subscribed to The-Ken basis these recommendations and loving it. Thinking about "The Morning Context "

I also subscribed monthly to Newslaundry leading in from their podcasts just to try that out for a month . ( Not business though but gives an independent view IMHO but has some good articles and videos on current affairs in India)

Bumping this up to a COVID era where there is more time to read based on Work from Home , any new sources out there for long format articles ?
meconi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:33   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meconi View Post
any new sources out there for long format articles ?
You'll see all long-form articles finding their way to:

https://www.reddit.com/r/longform/

https://www.reddit.com/r/indepthstories/

https://www.forbes.com/daily-cover-s...h=6ee2f3c76a74

https://longform.org/

https://longreads.com/

I screen these like once a week, because I DEVOUR high quality long-form reading. Read this superb piece yesterday on Ola's boss.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 00:01   #58
BHPian

Jionews has many good business magazines. It is complimentary for over 500 days for non-jio mobile numbers, and free for jio users.

I read a few articles in a magazine called Manufacturing Today (page 12, March 2021 issue) about the changes happening in the automobile industry in India, and it was interesting. https://jionews.com/magazines/reader...Mar-2021/30406

Many other business magazines are available on the site and might appeal to different interest groups.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 11:43   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Jionews has many good business magazines. It is complimentary for over 500 days for non-jio mobile numbers, and free for jio users.
Thanks! They have quite a spread. But the main issue remains = QUALITY writing on the Indian business scene. Maybe Bloomberg & NYTimes have spoiled me, but I find most Indian business magazines to be quite dumb, shallow or both.

There is good stuff in current affairs however. Like the Bomb Gate story by India Today. But business writing just sucks in India.
Old 1st April 2021, 09:35   #60
BHPian

ThePrint sometimes posts high-quality content. Yesterday they shared an interview with Mr. Nitin Gadkari.

This was an interesting interview which had questions about the pace of infrastructure development, scrappage policy, biofuels, electrification of transport etc. One may or may not agree with his views, but it is useful to know the thought process behind policy decisions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks