Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still get newspapers delivered at home?
Yes, and I read it everyday 384 63.47%
Yes, but I don't bother reading it 89 14.71%
No. Internet is my news source. 132 21.82%
Voters: 605. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2018, 10:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you still get newspapers delivered at home?

Yes i still get newspapers at home. One regional daily and one national daily. And i feel lost in the mornings without that and a cup of coffee.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:27   #62
BHPian

Yes!!

I think there is some old charm in reading a newspaper although we now have multiple sources for news. I still wait eagerly to see a front page of newspaper and see that headline though I know the news well enough thru other online sources. I think nothing can beat that.

Lately even newspaper quality (quality of paper itself improved many-folds, quality of contents is debatable) is dwindling. If I look at Sunday TOI, its first few pages are all advertisements. Plus the pamphlets and other crap inserted into newspaper.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:44   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
But what about you? Do you still read a newspaper? Personally, I have moved on to Google News, NDTV.com and EconomicTimes.com - along with whole lot of international news sites.
My day starts with coffee and newspaper-The Indian Express / The Hindu (when i'm in TN). I too sometimes read google news but IMHO these apps & cookies track the user behavior and pop up only those that the user likes. Newspapers don't do it.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:58   #64
BHPian

Earlier at home we used to subscribe to two English and One local newspaper, when we were in Maharashtra.
We used to compare news and its presentation across two newspaper and present to our parents. It was a good exercise and got us in the habit of reading and reading critically. Now almost all the news has become slug fest and unintentional comedy. Also being in sales and travelling doesn't allow me to read paper regularly.
Hence I have moved completely to E-news. I have 3-4 apps and compare news on them like old time.
I read papers whenever I have to wait at a customer place, feels good to hold paper.

Last edited by aniyo : 11th July 2018 at 11:00.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:02   #65
BHPian

Yes, very much!

The feeling of reading news early in the morning from a crisp, unopened newspaper is just indescribable. You can ease into the day at your own pace without having the news shoved down your throat by loud-mouthed "news" anchors of the television or the sleazy, click-baiting headlines on the online portals?

We used to subscribe to TOI to be delivered at home but over a period of time the advertisements and the half pages just put me off. The Hindu is good content-wise but the content is too global with local content being minimal. So, we currently get the Deccan Herald at home which is as good as The Hindu with good local content as well.

At office, we get the TOI and ET.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:10   #66
BHPian

Yes I do. There is something special about printed information. I am a lawyer and all case law/ bare acts are online now. Still i search on the computer but read ftom the books thereafter.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:12   #67
BHPian

Papers that we get,
TOI + ET
Indian Express
Lokasatta

I read TOI, ET & IE.

I also read internet news as it covers a lot more than print but I like reading a newspaper.

Also no one's tracking what articles I am reading as opposed to Internet where every click leads to generation of profiling data.

- Slick
Old 11th July 2018, 11:31   #68
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I read it everyday.

Reading the news on Mobile causes neck pain.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:35   #69

Have been reading newspapers since I was in the fifth standard in Bangalore and when TOI was still good. Switched to the Hindu along with Sportstar when I was in college .

I now live in Aizawl Mizoram where we don't have a local English newspaper and we get 2-3 day old copies of The Telegraph from Guwahati but I still subscribe it because I love reading stuff you might not ordinarily find online plus it is easier to have a better attention span when reading printed matter which is hard to do when one is reading online.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Yes, barring a hectic day I have a habit of reading newspaper first thing in morning since childhood. Even my father does the same. Somehow mobile news reading doesn't gives the same satisfaction as a newspaper. Don't see this habit changing anytime soon.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:39   #71
Senior - BHPian

I don't read/ watch news - online or offline. I feel its a distraction. I think its mostly an overdose of toxic information which does more bad than good, atleast for me.

For example if I was into investing, I would shun listening/reading all financial news. It just creates noise and hinders me from forming an unbiased view.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:44   #72
BHPian

I think I have stopped getting newspapers at home for more than 4-5 years. Also stopped watching TV for news.

I get all my updates on mobile or online. Apps like inshorts, ET Brand equity, google news are my go to places. Also I have RSS app called "feedly which I use to gather news of my interest from various sources.

Today I think the role of newspapers is changing, They are NO more breaking the news but actually breaking down the news.
So on important occasions like budget, election etc I would for the next day's paper.

Once in a while I do pick up a paper just for fun. And switch on Arnab to destress & entertain myself.

Major reasons for me dropping newspaper
- The news is stale. For me toplines are sufficient.
- Coverage of stuff which are not of my interest like local crime and affairs
- Distraction - gossips, overload of film news, planted news etc
- And it has increasingly become an advertising booklet with the advent of e-commerce and shopping.

I believe this has saved me loads of shopping money & time .
Old 11th July 2018, 12:03   #73
BHPian

I make it a point to go through newspapers everyday. The local content coverage is still a newspaper's forte. I tried the internet route but I just couldn't handle the eye strains after a prolonged reading session.

Besides depending on what source we follow the internet is a den of biased opinions IMHO. There are some good content no doubt but it is very easy to take sides in the digital format. When I need a good laugh i just head over to timesofindia.com and go through the comments section, some of the comment authors are truly an innovative lot I must say..

But I do like the way how google has shaped the news feed section where we can customize the content that we want to follow. But between this and the paper format, it will be a while before I convert.
Old 11th July 2018, 12:08   #74
BHPian

We do get Marathi newspaper "Sakal". I read it for at least 10 minutes daily. I make sure I follow the news of my locality for which Sakal have dedicated a couple of pages.
But what I do not like about Sakal is their so-called "Social Campaign". For example, they recently conducted a campaign called "Sath Chal.

http://www.sakaltimes.com/pune-sakal...%99-prog-20707

While the cause is noble, but the articles of publicity & self-proclaimed success of any campaign totally suppresses the main important news.
Old 11th July 2018, 12:11   #75
BHPian

Absolutely yes.

We have been buying Indian Express always - and now that continues with the The New Indian Express (the southern split edition). That is supplemented with The Hindu. Both these papers have been taken at an annual subscription of Rs.599 and Rs.999 respectively.

I cant imagine my day without newspapers. In fact today morning I got the Deccan Herald instead of The Hindu. Enough to rile me up that a few phone calls, a complaint against my local agent and I got the newspaper delivered by someone from the newspaper's office.

I find between this papers I get a balanced opinion with my views tempered by the newspaper's right and left views.

Absolutely detest TOI and the similar in feel DC. I don't think I will ever buy them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks