Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 14:05   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: "pure Cinema"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Nadodokattu, Pattanapravesham, Vadakkunokiyanthram, Yathra, Varavelppu, Manichitratazhu, Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum pinne njanum.
As Samurai said, this thread discusses all language movies.

But I think the above set of movies are better off in the regional movies thread. I dont these are classics in any sense - watchable movies, but rather potboilers with stereotyped characters

Movies by Bharathan, Padmarajan would be apt for this thread. Just my humble opinion
Old 12th March 2013, 14:11   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

As Samurai said, this thread discusses all language movies.

But I think the above set of movies are better off in the regional movies thread. I dont these are classics in any sense - watchable movies, but rather potboilers with stereotyped characters

Movies by Bharathan, Padmarajan would be apt for this thread. Just my humble opinion
Sorry guys if I hurt your sentiments. Please don't be so touchy. One person's classic might be another person's potboiler. According to me a classic movie is one which no matter how many times one watches its not enough.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:18   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys if I hurt your sentiments. Please don't be so touchy. One person's classic might be another person's potboiler. According to me a classic movie is one which no matter how many times one watches its not enough.
what made you think I was touchy I was not the producer/director of these movies. I just didn't feel this would compare well with movies like Tazhvaram, Nombarathy Poovu, Namukku Parkan Munthiri Thoppukal etc by the above directors (Am not talking about pseudo or formula art movies by some malayalam directors)

btw, has anyone watched Sandhya raagam by Balu Mahendra? Extremely sensitive movie making and much much better movie compared to his more aclaimed 'Veedu' or the horribly melodramatic 'Moonram Pirai' (Sadma)

Last edited by mallumowgli : 12th March 2013 at 14:21.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:38   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One person's classic might be another person's potboiler. According to me a classic movie is one which no matter how many times one watches its not enough.
That will make the entire thread very subjective and open a can of worms. Let's keep some objectivity and suggest movies that have achieved national or international acclaim/award.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:47   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That will make the entire thread very subjective and open a can of worms. Let's keep some objectivity and suggest movies that have achieved national or international acclaim/award.
I am very sorry sir. I have limited knowledge of world movies and listed some movies which are classics in their own right. One thing I want to emphasize is that India is a vast country with each state the size of any European country. And just like these European country produces movies each state in india makes its own kind of films. Its not possible that most of these regional films get national attention. But the native of that particular state knows the impact the movie has created. So my intention was to list out such movies. A classic is a classic irrespective of the language of the movie. I specifically didn't include it in the Regional movies thread since these are not run of the mill movies and still has a place in the heart of all malayalees. That's what a classic means to me. Thanks.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 12th March 2013 at 15:04.
Old 13th March 2013, 16:10   #336

Watched "tropa de elite 1 & 2" . Brazilian movies on how the drug trade works in Rio and BOPA(special police force) to counter drug trade. Part 1 is about training and working of BOPA mostly whereas part 2 is about survivol in world full of corruption and how corrupt find new ways to survive when attacked.
Beautiful movies which are truly engaging and relevant to all societies.
Old 20th May 2018, 23:22   #337
Team-BHP Support

I highly recommend watching this awesome Korean movie.

The wiki link has the plot and I think its very important you read about the background of this true story as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taxi_Driver
Old 13th November 2022, 19:00   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is the only movie ever made in Kannada that comes close to the quality of Kurosawa's Samurai movies.
Now the full movie is available on Youtube from the copyright holder. Unfortunately, no subtitles. The dialect is very different than what is spoken in Bangalore, even Kannada speakers may want subtitles.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th November 2022 at 19:07.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks