Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 17:34   #1471
BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Sorry for a noob question. Could not go through all 100 pages to figure out. Are you guys buying these from DBJets.com? Any other websites?
Old 13th April 2021, 12:14   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Sorry for a noob question. Could not go through all 100 pages to figure out. Are you guys buying these from DBJets.com? Any other websites?
Yes many of us buy from DBjets.com, its expensive but there are few other options in India. There are many websites from abroad which you can order from but international shipping and customs duty is a lot.

For unassembled plastic model kits Ebay is great to buy from sellers abroad, low shipping cost and almost never any customs duty (if you buy 1-2 kits per package). The most economical way is to buy from abroad and then bring it home in luggage(most of my built models were acquired this way).
Old 14th April 2021, 11:24   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
I mostly buy from DBJets. Very few of the cheaper models in my collection were direct imports from Aliexpress, rest all were through DBJets. I avoid buying costly models from retailors abroad because:
1. Unpredictable Indian Customs
2. If the model is stolen or damaged in transit, more than the monetary loss, it causes great heartache. I have had two Aliexpress models supposedly "opened for inspection" by the great souls in our Customs. The model was mishandled/damaged purposely during this so called inspection and re-packed shabbily. On giving this feedback to Aliexpress, the sellers in China were gracious enough to offer me a partial refund but I refused as it was clear the damage was because of the circus stunts attempted on the package by the Customs fellows

With DBJets, as he is a professional dealer & probably the only registered aircraft scale model retailer in India, he makes sure the models I order from him reach me safely. I do not have to worry about transit damage, customs etc. I believe the extra premium I pay towards that is well worth it.

And best of all, he is a decent chap, never had any major issues with the models he shipped to me. Now, he is the official Indian dealer for reputed brands like Hobbymaster, AF1, NG Model etc.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 14th April 2021 at 11:25.
skanchan95 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 13:33   #1474
BHPian

Thanks a ton @skanchan95 and @foxbot for your replies.
Old 16th April 2021, 16:57   #1475
BHPian

This is work in progress since February and probably will be for the next few months (model is in Hyderabad and I am stuck in Lucknow).

I am one of the most manoeuvrable aircrafts in the world but a mid-life upgrade has given me an ugly hump. Who am I?

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-untitled.jpg
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 17:00   #1476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
This is work in progress since February and probably will be for the next few months (model is in Hyderabad and I am stuck in Lucknow).

I am one of the most manoeuvrable aircrafts in the world but a mid-life upgrade has given me an ugly hump. Who am I?
MiG-29SMT. Couldn't be any else other than possibily the MiG-21SMT Though in case of the latter manoeuverability had got degraded and they reverted back to a smaller hump. By looks of those wings MiG-29 SMT it is.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 16th April 2021 at 17:01.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 17:12   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
MiG-29SMT. Couldn't be any else other than possibily the MiG-21SMT Though in case of the latter manoeuverability had got degraded and they reverted back to a smaller hump. By looks of those wings MiG-29 SMT it is.
Absolutely correct Comrade Narayan! that too in less than 3 minutes Putin sends his regards

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-713xf7oywl._ac_sl1500_.jpg
Foxbat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 18:11   #1478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely correct Comrade Narayan! that too in less than 3 minutes Putin sends his regards

Attachment 2145148
I'll confess back in the 1990s when the IAF was in the process of selecting an upgraded version of the Su-27 for its mainstay {which as we know resulted in the Su-30MKI} my favoured aircraft for our needs of a MRCA was the MiG-29M which was an evolution of the K. Though it finally flew only in '05 by early 1990s the design work had all been done. Alas. Alas. I always hoped the IAF would go for the MiG-29M, the Navy for the MiG-29K and the RD-33 married to the MiG-21Bison.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 16:14   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward to your build, which I am sure would be great. Are you planning to build an IAF MiG-29UPG from this kit?
skanchan95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 19:06   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Looking forward to your build, which I am sure would be great. Are you planning to build an IAF MiG-29UPG from this kit?
You and Narayan know me so well

I'm planning to do exactly that provided the IAF marking stickers I got printed work as planned.

Could you please tell me the external differences between a Mig-29UPG and Mig-29SMT? I see on the rear starboard fin there is an extension for a ECM pod. Apart from that is there anything major?

Also does the IAF use KH-31 missiles on its MiG-29s ? I'm planning to put them on it along with R-27 and R-73 missiles but I am unsure if the IAF ones can carry that configuration.
Foxbat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 19:36   #1481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You and Narayan know me so well

I'm planning to do exactly that provided the IAF marking stickers I got printed work as planned.

Could you please tell me the external differences between a Mig-29UPG and Mig-29SMT? I see on the rear starboard fin there is an extension for a ECM pod. Apart from that is there anything major?

Also does the IAF use KH-31 missiles on its MiG-29s ? I'm planning to put them on it along with R-27 and R-73 missiles but I am unsure if the IAF ones can carry that configuration.
I look forward to it

The biggest and most visible difference, as you pointed out, between the SMT & the IAF UPG is the presence of integrated EW pod at the base of the starboard tail fin of the UPG, which is absent on the SMT. Then there are other minor but significant differences like absence of the SMT's spine antenna on the UPG, some differences in the EW antenna configuration on the tail fins, presence of probes on the UPG's wings (RWR/MAWS?). There may be other differences, but these ones are the most obvious.

As for Kh-31 on the UPG, I am sure it can be carried. I have seen pics of the twin seat UPG carrying Kh-29Ts and Kh-31Ps. There's even a pic of a single seat UPG armed with Kh-35 AShMs.

Here are the pics...

Twin seat MiG-29UB(UPG) carrying Kh-31Ps
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-20210420_201047.jpg

Twin seat MiG-29UB(UPG) carrying Kh-29Ts
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-images-5.jpeg

Single seat MiG-29UPG carrying Kh-35s
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-20210420_201520.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 20th April 2021 at 20:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged
skanchan95 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 12:51   #1482
BHPian

Hobbymaster IAF MIG 29B KB 715 1/72

This IAF Mig 29 B belonged to the 47th Sqn "Black Archers" located in Adampur near Jalandhar Punjab. MIG 29 was developed by Soviet Union in late 1970s as answer to US F 16 and was launched initially as purely Air superiority MIG 29 but over the years it has evolved into current multi role variant known as MIG 35.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img20210423131551_copy_1024x768.jpg

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 9th May 2021 at 13:06.
FrozeninTime is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 14:00   #1483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post

This IAF Mig 29 B belonged to the 47th Sqn "Black Archers" located in Adampur near Jalandhar Punjab. MIG 29 was developed by Soviet Union in late 1970s as answer to US F 16 and was launched initially as purely Air superiority MIG 29 but over the years it has evolved into current multi role variant known as MIG 35.

Attachment 2153808
what a catch. By jove. MiG-29, that too IAF and that too from Hobby Master. A hattrick. Congratulations. Please post some more photos. You can't escape with this tantalizing teaser.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 20:04   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Stunner!! This is the thread's Model of the Year so far. Congratulations on being the first one to get it. And yes, I second Narayan Sir, more photos )

During the Kargil War, reports of IAF MiG-29s obtaining radar lock on PAF F-16s, and them disengaging as a result, are still fresh in my memory.
skanchan95 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 20:17   #1485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I

Here are the pics...

Twin seat MiG-29UB]
What is that device on top of the cockpit?
Thanks

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks