Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 10:44   #1921
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Here comes the pictures of my most recent acquisition. The Boeing C-17 Globemaster III. Custom built by hand using mahagony wood. Its 1:100 scale, so around 2' long and around similar wingspan. Some finishing issues in the engine bay which am currently trying to fix. Chose to get a refund rather than sending it back for a new piece. It is operated by IAF as also the USAF. Unfortunately its production has stopped now.
That must be, with out a doubt the largest model on this thread. Congratulations. An outstanding aircraft. I have a model in IAF colours also of balsa wood. I think it is a 1:144.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 15:35   #1922
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
That must be, with out a doubt the largest model on this thread. Congratulations. An outstanding aircraft. I have a model in IAF colours also of balsa wood. I think it is a 1:144.
The Falcon is also similar in size 54cm x 53cm as its 1:48. I have my eyes set on a 30" long Chinook but it needs to wait now, these large models cost upward of 30k INR apiece. The current unrest at home needs to settle down before the twin rotors of chinook unsettle things again.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img2561.jpg  

chaudh2s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 20:00   #1923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Some work in progress pics. One advantage of this size (1:48) is that you are able to add much more details to the models, I was able to paint the individual buttons in the cockpit even! This is the first 1:48 model I have made in 27+ years.

Attachment 2364331

Attachment 2364332
99.95% complete, here is a sneak peak

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20221114-9.26.29-am.png

With 323+ parts and 1:48 Scale its the biggest and most complex model I have made.
Foxbat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 21:09   #1924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
99.95% complete, here is a sneak peak

With 323+ parts and 1:48 Scale its the biggest and most complex model I have made.
OMG!! OMG!!! This is serious detailing Foxbat. Serious. This is going to be your masterpiece, your Mona Lisa. I guess the model is about 18 inches in length
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 21:16   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
OMG!! OMG!!! This is serious detailing Foxbat. Serious. This is going to be your masterpiece, your Mona Lisa. I guess the model is about 18 inches in length
Thanks, yes it should be the centrepiece of my collection. Made many mistakes in painting(couldn't match the blue and grey) and weathering but given its so big they don't show much.

Your maths is impeccable comrade. I just Googled to find the Su-30 is exactly 72 feet long. 1/48 Scale is 72 ft / 48 = 1.5 ft or 18 inches !

Last edited by Foxbat : 14th November 2022 at 21:22.
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 07:49   #1926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
The Falcon is also similar in size 54cm x 53cm as its 1:48. I have my eyes set on a 30" long Chinook but it needs to wait now, these large models cost upward of 30k INR apiece. The current unrest at home needs to settle down before the twin rotors of chinook unsettle things again.
Like a good collector you have kept your collection dust free. Dust is my worst challenge other than space.
Old 18th November 2022, 02:39   #1927
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

The Government of India, in the mid-90s, signed an agreement with the Russians to acquire 40 aircrafts of the Flanker series, that would be customized to Indian requirement. It involved integrating French, Israeli & Indian weapon systems & avionics onto the Russian airframe. The eventual outcome of this customization is identified as the Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter aircraft. However, since the agreement essentially stipulated virtually developing a new aircraft, with capabilities unmatched by legacy offerings, the time taken for their deliveries to commence too would be large. Hence, in order to fast-track aircraft induction, as an interim measure, it was agreed that Russia would supply India with a baseline MK-series of the Su-30, i.e., Sukhoi Su-30MK.

Even the supply of Su-30 MK was to be distributed into 3 batches, each with increasing capabilities & non-Russian systems integrated. Thus, as per the original plan, the MK-series of aircraft, to be inducted by the Indian Air Force [IAF] were to be designated as

Sukhoi Su-30MK-1
Sukhoi Su-30MK-2
Sukhoi Su-30MK-3

The batch of aircrafts following MK-3, to be delivered as part of the 40 aircraft deal, would be a fully developed MKI variant. Upon completion of the MKI development programme, all the previously delivered aircrafts were to be subsequently upgraded to the MKI-standards. However, upon delivery of the Su-30MK-1 batch, delays in delivering the subsequent aircrafts prompted a decision to induct all following aircrafts in their complete MKI-form, thereby skipping MK-2 & 3.

10 aircrafts meant for delivery to Indonesia were also diverted to India as part of a separate agreement signed between India & Russia in the latter half of the 90s. This is because the Indonesians were unable to make the necessary payment prior to receipt of the fighters. These aircrafts, originally destined for Indonesia, were designated as the Sukhoi Su-30K aircraft.

The first production Sukhoi Su-30MKI aircraft arrived in India in 2002. In the meanwhile, India also signed another agreement with Russia to begin license production of the aircraft within India, manufacturing around 140 of them. It has been said that all the different variants of the Su-30, flown by the Indian Air Force have now been upgraded & standardised to the latest MKI variant.

The most visible outward difference between the MKI-variant aircraft & the earlier Su-30s inducted are the addition of canards in the MKI, something that is not present in the others.

The first deliveries of Su-30MK-1s arrived in kits at Lohegoan AFB in March 1997, where they were assembled and were formally inducted into the No.24 Squadron on 11 June 1997 by the then-incumbent Prime Minister, Inder Kumar Gujral.

1:48 Indian Air Force Su-30MK-1 SB-006 of No. 24 Squadron (Hawks) based in Lohegaon, AFS.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221116_201505716-1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221114_124315132.jpg

The kit was made in China and the IAF decals were made in Russia more than a decade ago, luckily was able to find a unsold copy from a seller in Serbia who charged me a princely sum.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221114_220753069.jpg

The aircraft is carrying 6 R-27ET and R-27ER missiles and 4 R-73 on the outer rails. All the missiles are training rounds as indicated by the black stripes. The first MK-1s were used extensively for training pilots on the new aricraft.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221116_151922267.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221116_152204541.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221116_201314110.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221116_201402237.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221116_201535307.jpg

1:48 Indian Air Force Su-30MK-1 and 1:1 US Navy Essex-class aircraft carrier (USS Intrepid) in the background.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221117_191302950.jpg

The real SB-006 and other MK-1s.

Name:  Su30i.jpeg
Views: 361
Size:  65.7 KB

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-su30q.jpeg

Name:  Su30h.jpeg
Views: 374
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  Su30j.jpeg
Views: 377
Size:  92.7 KB

Last edited by Foxbat : 18th November 2022 at 02:54.
Foxbat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 10:38   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1:48 Indian Air Force Su-30MK-1 SB-006 of No. 24 Squadron (Hawks) based in Lohegaon, AFS.
Outstanding work Foxbat!! You have outdone yourself. This is a masterpiece with superb detailing and it was a treat to see the model. You should be extremely proud of this one. Great photography as well.

Arguably it was the Indian Flanker programme that saved the Su-30 and possibly Sukhoi. Its a pity that the three tone blue paint scheme from the Su-30K/MKs was not carried over on the MKIs. The RuAF Su-30SMs(one of the many canard equipped Su-30 variants that spawned from the MKI) look awesome in that paint scheme.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-s30.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 08:28   #1929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thus, as per the original plan, the MK-series of aircraft, to be inducted by the Indian Air Force [IAF] were to be designated as

Sukhoi Su-30MK-1
Sukhoi Su-30MK-2
Sukhoi Su-30MKI

The first production Sukhoi Su-30MKI aircraft arrived in India in 2002

The kit was made in China and the IAF decals were made in Russia more than a decade ago, luckily was able to find a unsold copy from a seller in Serbia who charged me a princely sum.

The aircraft is carrying 6 R-27ET and R-27ER missiles and 4 R-73 on the outer rails. All the missiles are training rounds as indicated by the black stripes. The first MK-1s were used extensively for training pilots on the new aircraft.
A masterpiece!

This must deserve the title of the jewel in the crown of this thread. Not only has it been assembled out of a 1000+ parts by Foxbat but also professionally hand painted and also because it is a 1:48 Su- 30. A wonderful creation Foxbat I can only sit back and wonder about the effort and patience. Great work. I take the easy way out by hiding behind @basuroy while you slogged it out on the assembly table. Congratulations.

More photos needed by popular demand.:-)
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 07:07   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Outstanding work Foxbat!! You have outdone yourself. This is a masterpiece with superb detailing and it was a treat to see the model. You should be extremely proud of this one. Great photography as well.

Arguably it was the Indian Flanker programme that saved the Su-30 and possibly Sukhoi. Its a pity that the three tone blue paint scheme from the Su-30K/MKs was not carried over on the MKIs. The RuAF Su-30SMs(one of the many canard equipped Su-30 variants that spawned from the MKI) look awesome in that paint scheme.
Attachment 2380814
Thanks

I agree India should get more credit for saving the Su-30 series in those dire times in the 1990s for Russia.

Russian Flankers look the best in the blue schemes, wonder which is more effective in camouflage compared to our Tipnis grey MKIs.

Quote:
A masterpiece!

This must deserve the title of the jewel in the crown of this thread. Not only has it been assembled out of a 1000+ parts by Foxbat but also professionally hand painted and also because it is a 1:48 Su- 30. A wonderful creation Foxbat I can only sit back and wonder about the effort and patience. Great work. I take the easy way out by hiding behind @basuroy while you slogged it out on the assembly table. Congratulations.

More photos needed by popular demand.:-)
Thanks I would say its a great model but not exactly the jewel in the thread (many mistakes in painting: the light blue must have 10+ layers of paint because it took me so long to realise the paint becomes darker after drying! I had to scrape the paint off from the panel lines because it had filled them completely).

I would advise you to maybe get a 40-50 piece model kit set and get back to model making

I will try to go back the carrier and get some more photos. Last time I tried a huge floating crane (half as big as the carrier) had been placed next to it obstructing the view. Also winds were blowing at 21km/hr+ which resulted in a broken canopy which was luckily repaired.

Last edited by Foxbat : 21st November 2022 at 07:08.
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 12:15   #1931
Senior - BHPian

1:400 Airbus A321NEO(271NX) Indigo VT-IUH "1000th NEO" (NG Models)

Indigo's A321NEO VT-IUH was the 1000th aircraft built of the A320NEO family.
Airframe Stats
Serial number : 8968
Type : 321-271NX
First flight date 27/09/2019
Delivery Date : 11/10/2019
Test registration: D-AYAD
Engines 2 x Pratt & Whitney PW1133G

At the time of writing this post, VT-IUH is operating as 6E204 from Delhi to Raipur.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-fr24.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n9.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n10.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n11.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n12.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n13.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n14.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n15.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n21.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-n22.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a321.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 21st November 2022 at 12:21.
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 15:39   #1932
Senior - BHPian

1:400 Fokker F27-100 Indian Airlines VT-DOL(Aeroclassics)
The Fokker F27 Friendship was a Dutch airliner powered by Rolls Royce Dart turboprop engines first flown in 1954. It could seat 44 passengers comfortably and saw extensive service with Indian Airlines and Vayudoot on their short regional routes.

Indian Airlines operated quite a few of them. Indian Airlines got the first of their seventeen Fokker F27s in 1961, with the last of them being retired in 1994. A few were transferred to Vayudoot.

Indian carriers that operated the Fokker F27 - Indian Airlines, Vayudoot, East West Airlines, NEPC Airlines, UP Air and Elbee Airlines (Cargo). Fokker F.27s were also operated by the Indian Coast Guard.

VT-DOL, delivered to Indian Airlines in early 1963, was involved in two accidents
1) 15/10/1964, Madras Airport - During takeoff the aircraft landed wheels up almost immediately after becoming airborne. There were no injuries to passengers or crew. Probable Causes: "The accident is attributed to poor take-off technique. When the take-off was being effected in a hurry, the aircraft settled down on its belly almost immediately after getting airborne." There were no fatalities.

2) 16/0/1977, Jammu Airport - The aircraft was on final approach to runway 18/30 at Jammu, India. The Air Traffic Controller spotted a dog on the runway and advised the flight to carry out an overshoot. The aircraft took a right-hand circuit and landed. After rolling for 450 ft, the nose landing gear folded rearwards and caused extensive damage to surrounding fuselage structure.
There was no fire in the aircraft, and all crew members and passengers could be evacuated safely. The probable cause of the accident was attributed to failure of nose landing gear down-lock-fitting-arms due to presence of stress corrosion cracks.

The aircraft was repaired and returned to service. It was later transferred to Vayudoot and was withdrawn from service in 1991. It was scrapped in the early 2000s.

As a kid I have memories of flying on Indian Airlines, Vayudoot & later East West Airlines F27s from Rajkot, Keshod and Diu respectively.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f27_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f27_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f27.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f27_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f27_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f27_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f27_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f27_6.jpg

Indian Airlines aircraft that I have flown on. Only the Avro is missing.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ic_coll1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ic_coll2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ic_coll3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ic_coll4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ic_coll5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-dol.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 22nd November 2022 at 15:51.
skanchan95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:18   #1933
Senior - BHPian

1:72 Bell AH-1S/F Cobra (Tzefa - Viper) Israeli Air Force (Amer Com)
The AH-1 Cobra helicopter, designated Tzefa in the IAF, entered service pursuant to the implementation of one of the primary lessons derived from the Yom-Kippur War of 1973 - the need for a weapon system capable of stopping or at least delaying an enemy armored attack, to provide the IDF with the response interval required in order to mobilize the reservist brigades and deploy them to the front line.

The traumatic Yom Kippur War of October 1973 provided the IAF with the incentive to procure attack helicopters of its own. The IDF had initially failed in halting the Syrian armoured assault on the Golan Heights and the Egyptian crossing of the Suez Canal, while the dense Arab air defences proved a deadly hindrance to IAF operations. Attack Helicopters could provide answers to both of these problems and when the IAF begun a heavy procurement program after the war, attack helicopters were high on its shopping list. In May 1974 four pilots journeyed to the USA in order to evaluate the different options available to the IAF in choosing its new helicopter. The pilots had flown the Cobra but were more impressed by the Sikorsky S-67 Blackhawk, still in the experimental stage. The S-67 deal however, fell through when the prototype crashed and the IAF opted for the AH-1 instead. The IAF procured six AH-1Gs from US Marines surplus and shortly later the first Israeli pilots arrived in the USA to undergo a six weeks conversion course.
In order to study the basics of helicopter warfare and its implications on the battlefield, the IAF formed an experimental squadron into which the Cobras were incorporated. The six AH-1Gs arrived in Israel in April 1975, and a first flight in Israeli skies took place a month later. A subsequent 8 months evaluation period ended with the filing of a very favourable report to the IAF commander, Benny Peled. The IAF quickly adopted the report's recommendations which included the upgrade of all AH-1Gs to AH-1Q standard and the procurement of more AH-1s. AH-1 Cobra Implementation of the report also called for the Cobra experimental unit to transform into the first IAF Cobra squadron and December 1977 saw the formation of the "Shfifon Tzahov" (Yellow Viper) squadron. Training at the squadron commenced with three Bell 206s as all the AH-1s had been shipped back to the USA in May in order to undergo their upgrades. The first upgraded Cobra arrived back in Israel in August 1978 and the type was awarded the nicknamed "Tzefa" (Viper).

Since the mid-1970s Lebanon has been Israel's most active front, with fighting still taking place on a daily basis. The attack helicopter's unique abilities and its precision weapons have made it perfect for the Lebanese theatre and IAF Cobras have been a constant feature of the fighting for more than 20 years. The first Cobra attack took place on May 9th 1979, against a terrorist structure located inside a refugee camp near Tyre. The Cobra squadron had deployed to southern Israel but upon receiving its combat order dispatched its helicopters back to their base in central Israel. Having crossed the Israeli-Lebanese border over the Mediterranean at dusk, two AH-1s scored direct hits with 2 missile fired by each helicopter. The successful outcome of the attack pushed the type into the forefront of Israeli activity in Lebanon ever since.

The IAF's attack helicopters, AH-1 Cobras as well as MD.500 Defenders, saw a great deal of activity throughout operation "Peace for Galilee", Israel's invasion of Lebanon in June 1982. The Cobras were the first IAF helicopters to go into action on June 6th, their first attack mission involving the destruction of a radar station, although later targets included armour, artillery, anti aircraft artillery and more. Tasked with providing close support to Israeli ground forces, the initial days of the war saw repeated attacks against Palestinian forces and positions in south Lebanon. Until the Syrian air defence array in the eastern Bekaa Valley was destroyed on June 9th, Cobras operated mainly in the western frontier of the fighting, close assistance also given to the Israeli ground forces landing from the sea north of the Alawi River outlet.

When Syria entered the fighting on June 9th, the Cobras were turned against the Syrian military. Cobras engaged and destroyed dozens of Syrian tanks, including T-72s, the most advanced Soviet tank of the time. One attack even involved the destruction of an entire Syrian armour brigade deep behind Syrian lines: AH-1s attacked and destroyed its tanks on board train cars, about to carry them to the front! Two Cobras were lost during the war. One was hit by 23mm anti aircraft fire on June 6th and crashed, killing both pilots. Another Cobra was hit during the fighting and its crew was rescued. A Sikorsky CH-53 carrying the stricken aircraft back to Israel was forced to throw it into the sea after suffering from severe vibrations. AH-1 Cobra 489After the end of the war, with the Cobra once again having proven its worth, the IAF purchased another batch of AH-1s, the second Cobra squadron formed in 1985. The Israeli presence inside Lebanon required close Cobra support, difficult to maintain from the squadron's central Israel base. While at first Cobras operated from a site near the Lebanese city of Sidon, the Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon in 1985 prompted the formation of a new base in northern Israel, inaugurated in April 1985. Besides making the Cobras more available, the new site also formally placed command of the Cobras under Israel's Northern Command, thus providing a more direct link between operational needs and the Cobra crews, shortening Cobra response times.

While on a training flight on October 21st 1985, an AH-1 slammed into the Sea of Galilee. Landing nearby, the crew of the other Cobra rescued the two pilots caught in the wreckage, earning themselves a citation from IAF Commander, Amos Lapidot. Although Cobra 489 was heavily damaged the IAF nonetheless decided to repair it, a process which took five years and ended with the helicopter's return to service (picture on the left). On October 16th 1986 an IAF Phantom attacking Palestinian targets in Lebanon suffered from a malfunction in its bomb release mechanism, forcing its two crew members to eject. The navigator, Ron Arad, was captured by Palestinians and has been held in captivity ever since, but the pilot of the downed aircraft managed to elude captivity. IAF aircraft which attempted to reach his position were fired upon by terrorists on the ground, hampering rescue attempts. A pair of AH-1s nonetheless managed to reach the pilot and hanging on to a Cobra's skid, the pilot was carried all the way back to Israel. A similar rescue took place on December 9th 1988 after a number of IDF soldiers were stranded in Lebanon following operation "Kahol ve-Hoom" (blue and brown). The joint Navy and Golani infantry raid against a PFLP (Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine) headquarter deep in Lebanon, in which AH-1s also participated, had ended successfully but for 4 IDF soldiers missing somewhere on the ground. Once contact was made with the missing squad, IAF fighter bombers kept Palestinian forces from reaching the stranded soldiers, enabling a rescue attempt. The close proximity of the terrorists however, prevented rescue helicopters from landing and the Cobras were sent in instead. Under heavy fire, a pair of Cobras descended towards the stranded soldiers and carried them on their skids to Navy boats off the Lebanese coast. The four Cobra crew members which had performed the rescue received citations from the IDF Chief-of-Staff.

On May 30th 1990 Israeli Navy boats spotted an unidentified boat attempting to infiltrate Israeli waters and reach the shore. The fastboat managed to elude the Navy ships but an IAF Do-28 Agur tracked the boat to the beach at Nitzanim in southern Israel and launched Cobras to intercept it. The Agur pilot then flew low passes over the boat in order to prevent it from landing until the AH-1s arrived. When the boat, carrying PLO terrorists about to strike at Israel, finally managed to land the Cobras were on the scene to halt the passengers from getting off the beach and allowed IDF forces to surround the area. Most of the terrorists finally surrendered although some were killed, at least one by a Cobra's cannon fire.

As part of their routine service in southern Lebanon the Cobras were also very active in Israel's two major operations against Hezbollah guerrillas, operations "Accountability" and "Grapes of Wrath". The later, carried out during April 1996 saw around-to-clock Cobra activity, seeking and destroying Katyusha rocket launchers directed against northern Israel as well as attacking enemy positions throughout southern Lebanon. The first three days saw over 150 attack sorties, while during the entire week long operation 90 targets were attacked with 170 anti tank missiles.

IAF Cobras have seen various upgrades throughout their history, the current IAF helicopter force fully capable of carrying nocturnal operations. Much of the upgraded avionics have been designed by local Israeli industries, including their weapon guidance systems. In November 1996 the IAF received additional AH-1Es from USAF surplus. Although some helicopters were put into service with the two Cobra squadrons, others joined the IAF Flight School where they train future attack helicopter pilots. Unlike standard Cobras which carry desert camouflage, flight school Cobras carry an all black livery. One Cobra also resides in the IAF Museum in Hatzerim (picture above). This is one of the original six AH-1Gs supplied to Israel, identified by their bulging canopies absent on later examples.

Specifications: Bell AH-1S Cobra
Type: two crew anti-tank attack helicopter.
Powerplant: one Lycoming T53-L-703 turboshaft engine.
Performance: max speed - 227km/h, initial rate of climb - 494m per minute, service ceiling - 3720m, range 507km.
Weights: empty - 2939kg, max takeoff - 4536.
Dimensions: main rotor diameter - 13.41m, rotors turning - 16.14m, height - 4.12m.
Armament: 8 * TOW missiles, one General Electric universal turret for 20mm or 30mm cannon, launcher pods for 2.75 inch folding fin rockets, 40mm grenade gun.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1_0_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1_8-2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-49882_1162150011.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 01:10   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
1:400 Airbus A321NEO(271NX) Indigo VT-IUH "1000th NEO" (NG Models)
A very detailed model despite the 1:400 scale . Its good to see model manufacturers give Indian airlines more importance. Despite the huge orders placed by Indigo very few companies make Indigo A320s.

Quote:
1:400 Fokker F27-100 Indian Airlines VT-DOL(Aeroclassics)
That must be very rare model and an important one given you flew on them. Love Aeroclassics for releasing these rare and forgotten gems.

I went back to USS Intrepid and tried again for some better shots now that the wind was not blowing and the huge crane that was obstructing the view had been towed away. This time I brought my wife along but still ended up with a broken AOA sensor, last time it was the canopy !

Hopefully the pictures were worth the trouble

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221123_183228914.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221123_183338928.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20221123_183407911.jpg
Foxbat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 11:19   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A very detailed model despite the 1:400 scale . Its good to see model manufacturers give Indian airlines more importance.
Thank you. The NG models A32Xs are probably the most accurate scale model of the A320 series out there.

Quote:
Despite the huge orders placed by Indigo very few companies make Indigo A320s.
That's probably because some airlines are very fussy about trademark & copyright issues. I remember recently an American Airline (Alaska Airlines probably) sued a model maker for releasing models without their permission. Similarly, Indigo forbade Hogan from selling their 1:200 A320 models in the open market, as they were strictly for on board sales.

Quote:
but still ended up with a broken AOA sensor, last time it was the canopy !
The Horror!!! I don't know how many times I have ended up knocking off the antennas and probes on the models while cleaning or re-arranging them to make space for the new comers. It becomes a tragedy if you end up losing the part, which thankfully in your case didn't happen. These things need to handled like a new born baby!

Quote:
Hopefully the pictures were worth the trouble
It sure was. Great shots!!!

Quote:
It has been said that all the different variants of the Su-30, flown by the Indian Air Force have now been upgraded & standardised to the latest MKI variant.
This caught my eye. The IAF's Su-30K & MKs that flew with No.24 Sqdn "Hawks" were never upgraded to MKI standards as it was found to be technically and financially not viable to upgrade them to MKI standards. These were put in storage and later exchanged with Russia for new Su-30MKIs. No.24 Sqdn converted to the Su-30MKI like No.20 "Lightnings" & No.30 "Rhinos" before them. Most of those heavily flogged ex-IAF Su-30K/MKs, after upgrade to Su-30KN standards, are now serving with the Angolan Air Force.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-s30.jpg
ex-IAF Su-30K in Angolan AF colours.

Angola inducts ex-IAF Su-30s

Quote:
13 March 2018

The Força Aérea Nacional de Angola (FANA – National Air Force of Angola) took delivery of its first two Sukhoi Su-30K fighters in September 2017 and is due to receive 10 more by early 2018.

Angola placed a $1 billion order for a range of Russian defence equipment, including 12 Su-30K fighters, during a visit by Russian Deputy Prime Minister, Dmitry Rogozin, to Luanda in October 2013.

Deliveries were originally expected to begin in 2015 but were delayed due to the need for unexpected upgrades, including improvements to the radar and navigation system and installation of a video recorder.

Though designated as Su-30s, these aircraft bear little resemblance to the family of advanced multi-role ‘Flanker’ derivatives delivered to India, Algeria, China, Malaysia and Venezuela. They more closely resemble standard Su-27UB trainers, with minimal modifications for operational use.

Angola’s Su-30Ks are drawn from a batch of 18 early model aircraft (10 Su-30MK and eight Su-30K fighters) that were originally delivered to India between May 1997 and December 1999.

The aircraft were briefly used as an interim solution while India took delivery of 200 more advanced Su-30MKIs in a number of batches. The Su-30MKI featured uprated avionics, Bars PESA radar, canard foreplanes and thrust vectoring.

India had initially intended to upgrade these early aircraft but it soon became clear that they could not economically be brought to the same standards as the new Su-30MKIs, and they were, instead, used in part-exchange for the new aircraft.

The Su-30Ks were retired in 2006 and were sold back to the Irkut Corporation. The aircraft were ferried to the 558th Aircraft Repair Plant at Baranovichi in Belarus between August and November 2011, where they awaited modernisation and resale.

The first ex-Indian Air Force Su-30K destined for Angola made its first flight after overhaul in early February 2017.

Aleksandr Vorobei, deputy CEO of the 558 Aviation Repair Plant in Belarus, told Russian journalists that “deliveries will be completed by early next year”.

In July, Komersant newspaper reported that Angola was in negotiations to purchase the remaining six ex-Indian Air Force aircraft that are stored at the repair plant.

The Su-30s will augment around half-a-dozen Su-27s, out of 18 originally delivered. These aircraft serve with the 13th Fighter Squadron, part of the 25th Fighter Aviation Regiment at Kuito Air Base.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 24th November 2022 at 11:28.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed