Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 12:16   #1666
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Bf-109 G-6:: Erich Hartmann’s fighter, Russian Front 1944:: Hobby Master 1:48, metal diecast
[i]Model Size – Length:~7 inches; Wingspan~8 inches
Quote:
Westland Wessex Helicopter:: RAF:: Multi-purpose medium helicopter:: Corgi 1:72, diecast
Both wonderful additions to your collection. Nice photos & writeup - a pleasure to read, as always.

Really like the Me109, especially with the history related to it, it is an invaluable model. Really liked the Vantage point photo - I thought the angle of the photo is perfect and almost looks like a gunsight pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
This exact aircraft (Serial 301) was retired recently. I wonder are they retiring the whole fleet or just this one.
INAS 315, that flies the IL-38 from Dabolim, anyway has 4-5 airworthy airframes left and I suppose each one of them is being retired one by one.

I was assuming that P-8Is will replace IL-38s in the squadron (like INAS 312's Tu-142s). But a new squadron - INAS 316 with 4 P-8Is has been raised at Dabolim and with the deal for new P-8Is being scrapped( along with MiG-29s, Ka-31s, Helicopters for the ICG & IN in the name of Atmanirbharta) , INAS 315 will mostly get numberplated soon.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 19th January 2022 at 12:21.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 20:30   #1667
BHPian

Quote:

You all guessed correctly, its a Su-30MKI.
Attachment 2251914

Almost complete, by far the most hours I have put in any model (40-50 hours!).

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_1417.jpeg

Name:  su30mki.jpeg
Views: 442
Size:  33.2 KB

Last edited by Foxbat : 23rd January 2022 at 20:31.
Foxbat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 20:39   #1668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Almost complete, by far the most hours I have put in any model (40-50 hours!).

Attachment 2264001

Attachment 2264002
OMG!! A true masterpiece in the making. Is this our first Su-30MKI on this thread? More photos needed Foxbat.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 21:29   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
OMG!! A true masterpiece in the making. Is this our first Su-30MKI on this thread? More photos needed Foxbat.
I think it will be the first Su-30MKI (but some of the Experts on this thread might figure out its actually a Su-30SM in Indian Air Force livery ).

I still need to attach the missiles, here are a few more pictures:

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_1418.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_1421.jpg
Foxbat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 08:51   #1670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think it will be the first Su-30MKI (but some of the Experts on this thread might figure out its actually a Su-30SM in Indian Air Force livery
Help me learn the visual differences between the two. Which make is the model kit from. It really is looking superb. I love that stand too :-)
Old 24th January 2022, 10:50   #1671
BHPian

Quote:
Help me learn the visual differences between the two. Which make is the model kit from. It really is looking superb. I love that stand too :-)
There are tiny external differences(like no aerial in the dorsal spine and no aerials on top of the fins) and some internal cockpit differences. Nothing major as far as I know.

The kit is from Mother Russia (made and shipped directly to India)

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20220124-10.46.54-am.png

The stand is from a 1:200 diecast Emirates 777 (I have a spare stand to replace it) and I bought the Su-30MKI fridge magnet to put on the stand.
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 10:13   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it will be the first Su-30MKI (but some of the Experts on this thread might figure out its actually a Su-30SM in Indian Air Force livery ).
Lovely & Truly Outstanding work!!! Everything seems so perfect....even the Grey , which at times can be tricky to match, is perfect. Needless to say, this MKI becomes the crown of your collection. Well Done & Congratulations on an outstanding build.

How I wish they allow pilot/WSO names under the cockpit & sqdn markings on the Su-30MKI, it will greatly enhance the looks of the MKI and bring in the coolness factor...just look at the Navy's MiG-29s.

Quote:
Straight from some notes I had made for another project while ago( applies to early SU-30MKIs & SU-30SM only. Later( Upgraded?) Su-30MKI models have some modifications on the tail fin and under the nose) -
1. The Su-30SM has a body coloured antenna on the spine(exactly like the older Su-30K/MKs).On the Su-30MKI, instead there a very small white coloured oddly shaped antennas.

2. On the Su-30SM both tail fins have probes, while the MKI there are none, except on the Su-30MKI's port tail fin (which I believe is the navigation light)

3. The RWR/MAWS(?) probes on the tail boom of the SM and MKI are different.

4. The SM has a white "patch" behind the airbrake, the MKI does not have it.
Old 25th January 2022, 11:01   #1673
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

The Sukhoi Su-30MKI(NATO reporting name: Flanker-H) is a twinjet multirole air superiority fighter developed by Russia's Sukhoi and built under licence by India's Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the Indian Air Force (IAF). A variant of the Sukhoi Su-30, it is a heavy, all-weather, long-range fighter.

Development of the variant started after India signed a deal with Russia in 2000 to manufacture 140 Su-30 fighter jets.The first Russian-made Su-30MKI variant was accepted into the Indian Air Force in 2002, while the first Su-30MKI assembled in India entered service with the IAF in 2004. The IAF has nearly 260 Su-30MKIs in inventory as of January 2020. The Su-30MKI is expected to form the backbone of the Indian Air Force's fighter fleet to 2020 and beyond.

The aircraft is tailor-made for Indian specifications and integrates Indian systems and avionics as well as French and Israeli sub-systems.

1/72 Scale Indian Air Force Su-30MKI SB 029,No.20 Squadron (Lightnings) based at Lohegaon Air Force Station, Pune.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_1423.jpg

Carrying a full load of 4xR-27Rs, 2XR-27Ts, 2XKH-31s and 2XR-77s and 2xR-73s
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20220124_175628519.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_1422.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_1426.jpg
Old 25th January 2022, 16:07   #1674
Senior - BHPian

1:72 Grumman F-14A Tomcat Maverick/Merlin VF-1 (Fictional/Top Gun) [Calibre Wings]

This Maverick/Merlin F-14 from Calibre Wings is one of their three releases featuring Top Gun movie F-14s. The other two being F-14s flown by Maverick & Goose, till Goose's death and the other F-14 flown by Iceman & Slider. This is my second Top Gun F-14(the first being the Iceman/Slider one)

Maverick/Merlin in the movie Top Gun
Name:  mavmerlin.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  48.5 KB

Lt Pete "Maverick" Mitchell(pilot) - played by Tom Cruise
Name:  mav.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  55.2 KB

Lt(JG) Sam "Merlin" Wills (RIO) - played by Tim Robbins
Name:  Samuel_Wells.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  121.7 KB

Lt Pete "Maverick" Mitchell(played by Tom Cruise) is portrayed as an excellent and confident pilot but has a dangerous and reckless flying style. Early scenes in the movie such as Maverick's encounter with an unnamed MiG-28, where he comes from above, canopy to canopy with the enemy pilot are proof of this. Maverick's RIO for most of part of the movie is Lt(JG) Nick "Goose" Bradshaw (played by Anthony Edwards).

During a training flight late in the TOP GUN program, Maverick & Goose's F-14, while chasing Jester's A-4, suffers a flameout in its starboard TF30 engine after flying through Iceman's wake turbulence ("jet wash"). It causes their F-14 to flame out and then enter a flat spin. While Maverick gets pinned forward and struggles to get to the ejection seat lever, Goose pulls the lever. As Maverick ejects, Goose is slammed into the canopy by his seat's ejection motors, breaking his neck and killing him instantly.

Even though he was cleared of wrongdoing in the accident, Maverick blamed himself over Goose's death and loses confidence as a pilot. He turns to his mentor at Top Gun and friend of his father - Cdr. Mike "Viper" Metcalf for advice, and finds out the truth about what happened to his father(an F-4 pilot) during the Vietnam War.

While at the TOP GUN graduation Maverick finds that he, Iceman, Slider, Hollywood, and Wolfman are needed on the USS Enterprise(a mission to provide air cover for rescue of a communications ship - SS Layton, after it drifted into hostile waters after breaking down). Lt (JG) Sam "Merlin" Wills (played by Tim Robbins), who was originally Lt Bill "Cougar" Cottrell's RIO. in the opening scene of the movie, becomes Maverick's new RIO onboard the Enterprise. Maverick & Merlin launch from the Enterprise after Hollywood and Wolfman's F-14 is shot down by a MiG-28. During the dogfight with the MiGs, Maverick is haunted by Goose's death which causes him to briefly disengage. As he clings to Goose's dog tags & says "Talk to me Goose!", he re-engages in time to save Iceman & Slider. Maverick & Merlin shoot down three MiG-28s to Iceman & Merlin's one, forcing the remaining MiGs to retreat.

Maverick and Iceman return to the carrier, perform a flyby and tell each other they can be each other's wingman.

F-14A Bu Nos. 160694 & 159843 were depicted as Maverick & Merlin's F-14 in the movie. 159843 was lost in an accident while serving with VF-213 while 160694, formerly painted in the colors of VF-84 "Jolly Rogers"( now in Top Gun Maverick/Goose F-14 markings), is on static display at the USS Lexington Museum on the Bay, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA.

Both the F-14s featured the fictious VF-1 badge, which was actually the insignia for VAW-110, an E-2C Hawkeye squadron based at Naval Air Station (NAS) Miramar. During the movie Top Gun, 159843 displayed Lt. Mitchell’s name and callsign plus that of his new RIO, Lt JG. Sam “Merlin” Wells. It was also equipped as a camera ship and shot many of the dramatic air-to-air ACM footage.

Top Gun: Maverick
Maverick is set to return 30 years after his exploits in Top Gun in Top Gun: Maverick. From little that can be made out from the movie trailer, he is a Captain and now flies an F/A-18E. His late RIO & good friend, Goose's son is one of Maverick's students at Top Gun.

The Calibre F-14
Needless to say, the Calibre F-14 is the best diecast F-14 model out of there. Everything just seems perfect- the shape, the detailing, the pilot figures - simply fantastic. The pilot figures have been done tastefully with Maverick & Merlin's helmets painted in remarkably beautiful detail. Both cockpits have been modelled in great detail and the model has beautifully done "dirt and wear & tear" effects on the fuselage. The wings sweep fully & smoothly. Just as in the movie, the model is armed with 2 X AIM-7 Sparrows & 2 X AIM-9 Sidewinders. There is also a camera pod mounted on the forward port side belly station. Grumman, the manufacturer of the F-14, was commissioned by Paramount Pictures to create a camera pod to be placed upon the aircraft that could be pointed toward either the front or rear of the aircraft providing outside shots at high altitude and that is the pod is the reason why the movie had such stunning air to air visuals.

Unlike my Iceman/Slider F-14, the wing glove stations fitted with an AIM-7 & AIM-9 missiles fit in perfectly.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_0_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_0_0_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_0_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_0_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_7.jpg

No.554 of 1000 Manufactured
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_9.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_cu_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_cu_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_cu_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_cu_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_cu_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_cu_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_cu_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_cu_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-60021958_463235724218118_1469963384668553216_n.jpg

That's not Merlin(Tim Robbins) in the RIO seat. That's Jerry Bruckheimer - Producer of the movie
Name:  6a3ff7d905d4d9f59b1b621d0e67790e.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  95.5 KB

F-14A Bu No. 160694 which is on display on the UUS Lexington museum ( in its old VF-84 colours). The F-14 has since been painted in Top Gun movie F-14 colours - Maverick & Goose's F-14
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-1280pxgrumman_f14a_tomcat_160694_aj201_40432621334.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tt.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 25th January 2022 at 16:16.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 16:20   #1675
Senior - BHPian

My Calibre Wings Maverick/Merlin & Iceman/Slider F-14s

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_icemav_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_icemav_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_icemav_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_icemav_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_icemav_10.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_icemav_11.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_icemav_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_icemav_9.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 25th January 2022 at 16:21.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 16:25   #1676
Senior - BHPian

Mustang....this is Maverick requesting flyby

My attempt at recreating that final flyby request scene from the movie

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_fb_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_fb_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_fb_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_fb_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_fb_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tg_fb_9.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 25th January 2022 at 16:28.
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 08:51   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Happy Republic Day.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rday_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rday_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rday_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rday_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rday_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rday_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rday_8.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 12:48   #1678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Mustang....this is Maverick requesting flyby
My attempt at recreating that final flyby request scene from the movie
Quote:
Happy Republic Day.
Your diorama is as beautiful as your love for the F-14. I think it was the largest and most powerful fighter to adorn a carrier's deck. And thank you for your Republic Day flypast - Jai Hind. Wonderful idea. I will try and copy it on 15th August :-) And your photography remains something to learn from.

Quote:
The Sukhoi Su-30MKI(NATO reporting name: Flanker-H) is a twinjet multirole air superiority fighter developed by Russia's Sukhoi and built under licence by India's Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the Indian Air Force (IAF). A variant of the Sukhoi Su-30, it is a heavy, all-weather, long-range fighter.

1/72 Scale Indian Air Force Su-30MKI SB 029,No.20 Squadron (Lightnings) based at Lohegaon Air Force Station, Pune.
Carrying a full load of 4xR-27Rs, 2XR-27Ts, 2XKH-31s and 2XR-77s and 2xR-73s
A marvellous creation by you Foxbat. A labour of love. You will soon give member Basu Roy competition :-) The Su-30MKi has that leaping cheetah stance in its curves that suits its role as the ultimate nemisis of our enemies. We need more photos including of the underside. Congratulations on this apex predator.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 27th January 2022 at 12:54.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 19:01   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
1:72 Grumman F-14A Tomcat Maverick/Merlin VF-1 (Fictional/Top Gun) [Calibre Wings]
You have an huge collection of F-14s and it keeps growing
I would recommend getting a custom made F-14 with "Skanchan" written next to the pilots side I think for the cost of a 1/72 diecast build model you can probably get a 1:48 Tomcat custom built(I made one 25+ years ago) and it had great detail at that scale.

Quote:
I think it was the largest and most powerful fighter to adorn a carrier's deck.
In terms of length and weight the North American A-5 Vigilante was bigger I think but it was a bomber. I remember you had ordered this model long back but customs confiscated it.

Quote:
We need more photos including of the underside. Congratulations on this apex predator.
Unfortunately my fitment of the stand to the aircraft involved two sided tape so can't remove the stand for an underside photo, this was the best I could manage:

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20220127_091531195.jpg

My 1/72 Scale Indian Air Force collection (minus the Dassault Toofani)

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_1428.jpg

Last edited by Foxbat : 27th January 2022 at 19:03.
Old 28th January 2022, 10:56   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your diorama is as beautiful as your love for the F-14. I think it was the largest and most powerful fighter to adorn a carrier's deck. And thank you for your Republic Day flypast - Jai Hind. Wonderful idea. I will try and copy it on 15th August :-) And your photography remains something to learn from.
Thank you Sir. I should have done one with the tanks as well, especially after seeing retired PT-76, BMP-1 and Centurion being a part of the parade.

Quote:
You have an huge collection of F-14s and it keeps growing
Thank you. Am on the hunt for a D model tomcat in the right squadron livery.

Quote:
I would recommend getting a custom made F-14 with "Skanchan" written next to the pilots side I think for the cost of a 1/72 diecast build model you can probably get a 1:48 Tomcat custom built(I made one 25+ years ago) and it had great detail at that scale.
Ha ha. Funny you say that because years go, I used to do this in flight sims. Just like the decals that talented modelers like you stick on your models, such pilot names, finflash an roundel "decals" in .tga format could be "placed" on a model as needed.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-287892_3961718155712_2096210379_o.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-469430_3961663234339_718036420_o.jpg

Quote:
My 1/72 Scale Indian Air Force collection (minus the Dassault Toofani)
This is quite a collection and a joy to see them together. Thank you for posting this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks