Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2021, 18:04   #1651
BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Hawker Tempest II :: IAF colours, fighter bomber, 1948 Kashmir War :: 1:48 Plastic, custom painted model kit from Eduard
I saw this at the Indian Air Force museum in New Delhi and was wondering if it was the inspiration for the above model?

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_1340.jpg
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 18:13   #1652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I saw this at the Indian Air Force museum in New Delhi and was wondering if it was the inspiration for the above model?

Attachment 2251916
It is the same aircraft type. I wasn't aware of this museum display aircraft. Along with the Spitfire it remained the last of the fighter pistons of the IAF. The Packets, Caribous and Dakotas served on much longer all into the 1980s.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 10:57   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What kit is this? You have customised it to make it an IAF version?
Not a kit. Diecast metal in 1:72 scale from Hobbymaster. Hobby's IAF Apache is a very recent release.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 14:50   #1654
Senior - BHPian

1:72 Boeing AH-64E Apache Guardian ZV-4808, No. 125 Helicopter Squadron “Gladiators”, Indian Air Force (Hobbymaster)

The second ever Indian Air Force model by Hobbymaster and they have done a stunning job on this one.!!! The model, serial numbered ZV-4808 (15-4808, test serial N4808C) comes armed with 2 X Hydra Rocket Pods, 2 X AGM-114 Hellfire Quad Launcher & M230 cannon (all removable) and Stinger launch tubes on the stub wing edges(non-removable)).

**To anyone who has this model or buys it in the future - Get tweezers to fit tiny parts in the slots. Do not try to glue the antenna attachment that is supposed to be fixed to the starboard side on the tail boom. The model does not have any holes to plug it in. The connecting legs of the antenna simply will not stick on the tail boom and you might end up damaging the model paint if you use fevi-kwik.
Instead, use tiny bit of blue tack on the connecting 'legs' to gently "stick" it in place. Blue Tack does not damage the paint or leave behind any residue if you want to remove the antenna in the future.

The "Echo" model Apache
The AH-64E Apache Guardian was originally designated AH-64D Block III in 2012 but because of its advanced capabilities compared to previous variants, it was re-designated and the E model & renamed as the Apache Guardian. Everything about the AH-64E is bigger and better or improved when compared to earlier variants. A large number of improvements are meant to protect the crew from guns up to 27 mm rounds as well as crash resistant seats. The AH-64E features improved digital connectivity, the Joint Tactical Information Distribution System, more powerful T700-GE-701D engines with upgraded face gear transmission to accommodate more power, capability to control unmanned aerial vehicles, full IFR navigation capability, and improved landing gear. New composite rotor blades.

Longbow Radar
The AN/APG-78 "Longbow" is a millimeter-wave fire-control Radar (FCR) target acquisition system and the Radar Frequency Interferometer (RFI), which are housed in a dome located above the main rotor. The radome's raised position enables target detection while the helicopter is behind obstacles (e.g. terrain, trees or buildings).
Name:  hid.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  43.7 KB
The APG-78 is capable of simultaneously tracking up to 128 targets and engaging up to 16 at once; an attack can be initiated within 30 seconds. A radio modem integrated with the sensor suite allows data to be shared with ground units and other Apaches, allowing them to fire on targets detected by a single helicopter.

The updated AN/APG-78 radar for the AH-64E Guardian has overwater capabilities, potentially enabling naval strikes.

The Longbow radar is the most obvious distinguishing feature of an AH-64D & AH-64E from the AH-64A model. However, the Longbow radar is removable. In Afghanistan, and in the later years of the Iraq War, there were no armored vehicles for the radar to track, so it was convenient to remove the radars. So even if it hasn't got the Longbow radar on top, it might be an AH-64D or E, not necessarily an AH-64A.

Weapons
The AH-64E comes with a 30 mm M230 cannon with 1200 rounds of ammunition. It has 4 hardpoints on stub wings and can carry various missiles and/or Rocket Pods. The AH-64E can carry up to 16 AGM-114 Hellfire II anti-tank guided missiles. For self defense against hostile helicopters, the Apache Guardian can carry up to two AIM-9 Sidewinders or four AIM-92 Stingers or four Mistral air-to-air missiles. It can also carry two AGM-122 Sidearm air-to-ground anti-radiation missiles, that can target hostile radars. The gunship is often equipped with 19-shot pods with Hydra 70 unguided rockets. The helicopter can carry up to 4 of these pods.

With the Longbow fire control radar mounted, it gives the AH-64E the capability to fire AGM-114R Hellfire II anti-tank guided missiles in fire-and-forget mode. Without the Longbow radar, the Hellfire II missiles are launched in the line-of-sight/Optical Guidance mode. The radar can detect, classify and prioritize 12 targets simultaneously, and can see through the fog an smoke, that foils infra-red or TV sensors.

AH-64E & the Gladiators
No.125 Helicopter Sqdn "Gladiators" was the IAF's first dedicated Attack Helicopter Squadron and was commissioned on November 1, 1983 with the Mi-25 Hind being their mount. Later they received Mi-35s. The Gladiators are stationed at Pathankot AFS. On 3 September 2019, 8 AH-64Es were inducted into the Squadron at Pathankot.
India had ordered 22 Apache Guardians, with the last one arriving in June 2020. In the wake of the India-China border tension, a detachment of IAF Apaches from the Sqdn remain forward deployed near the India-China border. IAF Apaches are serial numbered ZV-4801 to ZV-4822.
In February 2020, India ordered 6 AH-64Es for the Indian Army Aviation to be delivered by 2023 and I hope they get delivered in standard Apache Army Olive Green paint scheme.

AH-64E Specifications
Crew: Two (Pilot & Gunner)
Dimensions and weight
Length : 17.7 m
Main rotor diameter : 14.6 m
Height: 5 m
Weight (empty) : 5.17 Tons
Weight (maximum take off): 10.43 Tons
Engines : 2 x General Electric T700-GE-701D turboshafts
Engine power : 2 x 1 994 shp
Maximum speed : 300 km/h
Cruising speed : 275 km/h
Service ceiling : 6.4 km
Range : 476 km
Armament:
Cannon : 1 x M230 30 mm cannon (1200 rounds)
Missiles : 16 AGM-114L Hellfire II anti-tank missiles, 4 x AIM-92 Stingers, or 4 x Mistral, or 2 x AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles, 2 x AGM-122 Sidearm anti-radiation missiles, 19-shot pods with Hydra 70 unguided rockets

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_8_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_9.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_cu_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_cu_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah_cu_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ahab_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ahab_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ahab_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ahab_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ahab_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ahab_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ahab_7.jpg

Ride of the Valkyries - the three HM Apaches in my collection - AH-64D, WAH-64D & AH-64E
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-apachaes_t_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-apachaes_t_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-apachaes_t_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-apachaes_t_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-apachaes_t_5.jpg

The real AH-64E ZV-4808
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-clipboard01.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-20220106_150200.jpg

AH-64 Apache Launching Missiles at multiple targets in Iraq. DTV In-Cockpit Audio and Video. Desert Storm, Jan 22, 1991. 101st Airborne Division.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 6th January 2022 at 15:10.
skanchan95 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 18:26   #1655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
1:72 Boeing AH-64E Apache Guardian ZV-4808, No. 125 Helicopter Squadron “Gladiators”, Indian Air Force (Hobbymaster)
What a masterpiece you have acquired - an IAF Apache. You beat me to it Sandesh. The detailing is superb as always. I just wish we invest in 8 squadrons of Apaches. We need them on our Northern & Eastern borders. What a capable machine. Congratulations again for your superb photography Thank you for that clip on Hellfires. Very interesting.
Old 6th January 2022, 19:09   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Simply Superb! Love to see these detailed HobbyMaster models in Indian colours.

Given the exorbitant price of an Ah-64 ($50-60Million each according to this link) would't it be more economical for the IAF and Indian Army to buy 4x Mi-28 or Ka-52s
instead? Ka-52 costs $15 Million each according to this link. and Mi-28 $17-18 Million link

The Apache might be better but I doubt its 4x better. We could have had 88 attack helicopters instead of these 22 Ah-64s.

Last edited by Foxbat : 6th January 2022 at 19:15.
Old 6th January 2022, 21:36   #1657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Given the exorbitant price of an Ah-64 ($50-60Million each according to this link) would't it be more economical for the IAF and Indian Army to buy 4x Mi-28 or Ka-52s
instead? Ka-52 costs $15 Million each according to this link. and Mi-28 $17-18 Million link

The Apache might be better but I doubt its 4x better. We could have had 88 attack helicopters instead of these 22 Ah-64s.
The opening acquisition price is only one item in the life time cost of operation & repair. And eventually the IAF wish to minimize full life cycle costs and ensure availability of spares and munitions.

Even that first acquisition cost is often not apples to apples - bare bone vehicle vs bare bone + basic set of spares vs bare bone + spares + one set of weaponry. And here we are not yet talking of training, repair tools, pilot certification, training the trainer, manuals and a lot more. That difference in price of 4X tells me that a lot more is inclusive in the AH-64 price and excluded from the Russian price. After having bought and sold over 40 large civilian aircraft this would be my assessment for that 4X difference in price.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:32   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a masterpiece you have acquired - an IAF Apache. You beat me to it Sandesh. The detailing is superb as always.
Thank you sir. Yes, it is indeed a superb model by HM.

Please do post pics of your Apache model. It is always a treat to read your posts and get a different perspective of the model from your pics.

Quote:
I just wish we invest in 8 squadrons of Apaches. We need them on our Northern & Eastern borders.
Me too. and that is why I wonder what capability addition will just six Apaches offer to the Army Aviation, it should be have been much more or Apache operations should have been left to the IAF. The Apache is to the attack helicopter fleet, what the Rafale is to the Fighter Fleet.

Quote:
Thank you. If one takes a magnifying glass and tries to read the stencils on the fuselage, once can read the wordings in the stencil and that is quite something. And this is what makes HM different from others is the attention to detailing, though they got a minor detail wrong on the model - The rocket pods & Hellfire quad launch rails should have been Olive Green, instead of grey.

Quote:

No doubt the Mi-28, Ka-52 or any other Russian helicopter are capable machines. I suppose, after the evaluations conducted in the 2010s or late 2000s, the Apache was found much much better overall and for the detailed reasons mentioned in Narayan Sir's post. If you remember back then, there was a competition for the attack helicopter acquisition (just like the unending MMRCA circus) - UH-60L, AH-1Z, AH-64D, Mi-28, Eurocopter Tiger and Augusta A129 were the participants. Boeing & Bell withdrew at some stage and that program fell apart. In 2012, the IAF confirmed the AH-64s selection and placed an order for 22 AH-64s through the FMS route. yes, numbers wise a Russian helicopters would have made more sense. But technology wise, clearly the AH-64 is far better, hence the higher cost and therefore lesser numbers.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 7th January 2022 at 16:43.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 21:10   #1659
Distinguished - BHPian

Sepecat Jaguar IS IAF :: Strike Aircraft, Number 5 Squadron 'Tuskers' :: 1:48 scale

This iconic aircraft needs no introduction to readers of tis thread. I'll let the photos do the talking. Assembled and superbly painted by member Basu Roy. This aircraft has always been, along with the MiG-21 one of my absolute favourites of favourites. And here she is in a realistic weathered look with every little detail.

Nos 5 Squadron has always been a strike squadron flying over the decades the Consolidated Liberator B-24, English Electric Canberra, and now the Sepecat Jaguar IS.

Around the time I was 20 I visited the office of a senior IAF officer who was my father's course mate at NDA and he had a 1:48 model of the Sepecat Jaguar presented by BAe. I always wanted one since then. Now almost 42 years on I got my wish. A model collectors delight. It is so beautiful that I suggested to wifey it should be placed in the centre of our drawing room

A big thanks to Basu Roy.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-7.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-16.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-2.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-3.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-4.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-5.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-10.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-11.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-13.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-14.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat-15.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sepecat.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 11th January 2022 at 21:14.
Old 13th January 2022, 19:46   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Sepecat Jaguar IS IAF :: Strike Aircraft, Number 5 Squadron 'Tuskers' :: 1:48 scale

It is so beautiful that I suggested to wifey it should be placed in the centre of our drawing room
Thats a masterpiece and one in which a lot of work has been put to make. I think the kit came with internal engine details but somehow there was no option to show it after assembly. The elephant art on the nose was hand painted. When Basuroy had posted pictures of this when it was under construction and I suspected it was one your projects

Those over the wing missile launchers always interested me, I always wondered what would happen if the separating mechanism didn't work at the launch time.

Getting permission to place it in the centre of the drawing room seems unbelievable, but if thats the case a 1:48 IAF Mig-25R should be ordered for the spot!

Quote:
[b]

Around the time I was 20 I visited the office of a senior IAF officer who was my father's course mate at NDA and he had a 1:48 model of the Sepecat Jaguar presented by BAe. I always wanted one since then. Now almost 42 years on I got my wish. A model collectors delight. It is so beautiful that I suggested to wifey it should be placed in the centre of our drawing room
Thats a great ending, the heart eventually gets what it desires
Old 14th January 2022, 10:54   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful!! Another brilliant One. Such a beautifully detailed model built so outstanding well by Basu and that too in colours of No.5 Sqdn - that has such a great history. Congratulations!!!

JS177 was one of six IAF Jaguars that flew across the Atlantic (supported by IL-78MKIs) to take part in Cope Thunder 2004 exercises in the US. JS177, at the time, was with No.14 Sqdn "Bulls". Speaking of aerial refueling, was the Jaguar were the first IAF jet capable of aerial refueling? Can anyone confirm? Mirage 2000s in IAF service, got their fixed IFR probes much after the 1999 Kargil War. so I suppose Jaguars were the first?.

Quote:
Around the time I was 20 I visited the office of a senior IAF officer who was my father's course mate at NDA and he had a 1:48 model of the Sepecat Jaguar presented by BAe. I always wanted one since then. Now almost 42 years on I got my wish.
This is such a heart warming story. So happy for you, Sir.

Quote:
Those over the wing missile launchers always interested me, I always wondered what would happen if the separating mechanism didn't work at the launch time.

Interesting & valid point. I would like to know a definite answer too. But I guess, nothing will happen and the missile would simply be hung up as Launch Failure. Modern missiles contains sensors that are programmed to detonate when they are at a certain distance from the target. When the missile is launched, it is not armed. So, if the missiles fails during the initial stage it won't trigger the explosives it is carrying, unless there is some malfunction.
Speaking of weapon malfunctions, there was this very unfortunate accident on a Jaguar IS when the pilot( a young Flt Lt who hailed from Mangalore) released his bombs over a weapons range. The bombs exploded immediately after leaving the pylons, which resulted in destruction the aircraft mid-air, killing the young pilot instantly.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 14th January 2022 at 11:10.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 09:29   #1662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
JS177 was one of six IAF Jaguars that flew across the Atlantic (supported by IL-78MKIs) to take part in Cope Thunder 2004 exercises in the US. JS177, at the time, was with No.14 Sqdn "Bulls". Speaking of aerial refueling, was the Jaguar were the first IAF jet capable of aerial refueling? Can anyone confirm? Mirage 2000s in IAF service, got their fixed IFR probes much after the 1999 Kargil War. so I suppose Jaguars were the first?.
To best of my knowledge the Jaguars probably were. But I'm not an expert on this. The Jaguars that had come fly-away from the UK had the plumbing & hydraulics for air-to-air refueling but not the probes as we did not have any capability. So in circa 1983 HAL/IAF decided to remove that internal plumbing. But BAe had not shared the detailed drawings so they were called in and they charged a large sum in forex {in those days every paisa of Forex was precious} to do the job/show us. Years later we went in the reverse direction. I'm sharing this to indicate that when we say we are building XYZ fast jet in India what we are really doing is assembling it or at least that was the case with the Jaguar in the 1980s. I believe it was the case with the Su-30MKI too.
Quote:
This is such a heart warming story. So happy for you, Sir. Wonderful!! Another brilliant One. Such a beautifully detailed model built so outstanding well by Basu and that too in colours of No.5 Sqdn - that has such a great history. Congratulations!!!
Thank you. My best model thus far. A masterpiece of detailing. I shared the old anecdote to show how easy it is to access luxuries today. Back then the closest I could have got was to wait till some 'uncle' was travelling overseas {in itself a rare event} and see if I could get him to get me an Airfix assembly kit.
Old 16th January 2022, 17:56   #1663
Distinguished - BHPian

Bf-109 G-6:: Erich Hartmann’s fighter, Russian Front 1944:: Hobby Master 1:48, metal diecast
Model Size – Length:~7 inches; Wingspan~8 inches

The legendary Bf-109G and Erich Hartmann need no introduction to readers of this thread. In my display chest there is barely enough space for only one 1:48 WW2 sized fighter. And no one deserves that spot more than Erich Hartmann’s personal flying steed. As the world highest ever scoring fighter pilot Erich’s record of 352 confirmed kills (+ 2 unconfirmed but verified kills of P-51s of the USAF) is unlikely to ever be exceeded. After over 10 years as a POW of the Soviets he was released in 1956 and joined the new Luftwaffe. He was forced to quit in 1970 because of his opposition to the Luftwaffe inducting the Lockheed Starfighter F-104. Hartman was very clear that the F-104 was a dangerous and ineffective airplane. Time proved him right on both counts. But the pressure of American business interests outweighed West Germany’s needs.

The Bf-109G-6 was one of the final fully developed marks of this legendary airplane. It topped at 400mph (350 knots) and could climb at almost 4000 feet a minute which was remarkably good for a piston engine machine. It was powered by a V-12 Daimler Benz generating 1450 shp and was armed with 1 x 20mm centreline cannon, 2 x 13mm heavy machine guns and 2 x 20mm on the wing pods. On its centreline it could carry a 300 litre drop tank or 250 kg bomb. The Bf-109 is the second most produced warplane ever with 33,984 produced . The first place goes to the equally legendary Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik.

Unlike its contemporary the Spitfire the Bf-109’s airframe structure did not lend itself to massive increases in engine power and take-off weight. So the designers focused on numerous detailed improvements in its fighting capabilities and ergonomics and automation (to reduce pilot fatigue). It says something about the machine that 105 Luftwaffe pilots scored over 100 victories flying this aircraft

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-messerschmitt-bf-109g6-.jpg
The streamlined thoroughbred

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-messerschmitt-bf-109g6-b.jpg
Note the 2 x 13mm HMG on the engine top {firing through the blades} and 1 x 20mm firing through the spinner mounted in the centre. Note the steel armour protecting the pilots back & head

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-messerschmitt-bf-109g6-c.jpg
Note the narrow track outward retracting gear and 300 litre centreline tank. The Spitfire and Bf-109 had the narrow track gear as it allowed the designer to mount the gear within the main airframe and thus build lighter wings. As we know in aircraft every kg saved is like gold. Aircraft with gears with wider tracks such as FW109 or P-51's needed wing spars, on which the gear was mounted, to be heavier and stronger.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-messerschmitt-bf-109g6-d.jpg
The black design on the nose cowling is the 'Black Tulip' design - a trademark of Hartmann.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-messerschmitt-bf-109g6-e.jpg
The cockpit of the Bf-109G

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-messerschmitt-bf-109g6-f.jpg
The enemy attackers viewpoint. With Hartmann, few must have reached this vantage point.

Name:  Messerschmitt Bf 109G6 G.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  29.3 KB
Erich Hartmann

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-messerschmitt-bf-109g6-h.jpg
By 1944 Russian pilots would turn away and avoid engagement when they saw the black tulip design. Later Hartmann deleted this recognizable sign of his presence.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-messerschmitt-bf-109i.jpg
Artists rendition of Hartmann & his Bf-109 in flight
Old 18th January 2022, 14:15   #1664
Distinguished - BHPian

Westland Wessex Helicopter:: RAF:: Multi-purpose medium helicopter:: Corgi 1:72, diecast
With rotors the model is about 11 inches long. Reasonable degree of detail, nice finish but the detailing is not in the HobbyMaster league.

The Westland Wessex is a British-built turbine-powered development of the Sikorsky H-34. It was developed and produced under licence by Westland Aircraft (later Westland Helicopters). One of the main changes from Sikorsky's H-34 was the replacement of the piston-engine powerplant with a turboshaft engine. The engine was fitted in the nose as was often the case in that era with the main drive shaft positioned at an angle through the two pilot seats! Same as the Mil Mi-4. The air intake of the engine was upturned to reduce ingestion of dust.

It served in various variants as an ASW helicopter in the Royal Navy and Royal Australian Navy and as a troop transporter with the RAF. It entered service in 1961 and was in service with the RAF, RN and RAN till circa 1990 though a few trials units continued till 2003. It was the first chopper in RAF & RN service to combine a useful payload with a functional payload cabin and reasonable range with night flying capability.

In later life many of the UK & Australian military machines were sold to Bristow Helicopters that ran a large chopper operation servicing the North Sea oil rigs. Like several British aircraft of the 1955 to 1975 period this machine sold in modest numbers in the export markets unlike helicopters from the stables of Sikorsky, Aerospatiale, Mil, Kamov, Bell etc. Only 382 were built.

In terms of make and era this scale model is a bit out of tune with the others on this thread. Variety is the spice of life.

• Crew: Two pilots
• Capacity: 16 troops or 8 stretchers
• Length: 65 ft 10 in
• Height: 15 ft 10 in
• Empty weight: 3.7 tonnes
• Gross weight: 6.1 tonnes
• Powerplant: 2 × de Havilland Gnome turboshafts, 1,350 shp each limited to 1,550 shp combined
• Main rotor diameter: 56 ft
• Main rotor area: 2,463 sq ft
• Maximum speed: 212 km/h, 115 kn
• Range: 500 km, 270 nm with standard fuel
• Rate of climb: 1,650 ft/min (8.4 m/s)
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wessex-.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wessex-b.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wessex-c.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wessex-d.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wessex-e.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wessex-f.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wessex-g.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wessex-h.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 18th January 2022 at 14:18.
Old 18th January 2022, 16:12   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Ilyushin IL-38:: Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft, Indian Navy:: model make Eastern Express (Russian brand) 1:144
This exact aircraft (Serial 301) was retired recently. I wonder are they retiring the whole fleet or just this one.

Name:  Screen Shot 20220118 at 4.02.49 PM.png
Views: 308
Size:  287.8 KB

Quote:
Bf-109 G-6:: Erich Hartmann’s fighter, Russian Front 1944:: Hobby Master 1:48, metal diecast
[i]Model Size – Length:~7 inches; Wingspan~8 inches
My favourite from WW2 along with A6M. In all the war movies I get happy when a BF-109 shoots down a Spitfire I remember during a summer internship in Germany more than 15 years ago I downloaded some 3d models of Bf-109s for an augmented reality demonstration and my supervisor was amused. As a child I had made 1:16 Balsa wood model which actually flew, unfortunately lost it many decades ago.
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks