Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2021, 11:07   #1621
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
1:72 Dassault Rafale B 118-HT Arctic Tiger ECE 5/330 Armée de l'air, NATO Tiger Meet, Ørland Main Air Station, Norway 2013 (Panzerkampf)
The real Rafale B 118-HT painted in bright colours for Tiger Meet 2013
Attachment 2233433
Rafale forever. Notice how close the wings of the Rafale and Eurofighter are to each other. No wonder they were the two finalists in the IAF competitive evaluations.

Quote:
Enemy Engaged : Apache versus Hokum
....but the Havoc is probably the closest Russian equivalent of the Apache than the heavier Hokum.

Took an opportunity to the photograph the Mi-17 again as it looks so beautiful and deadly with those B-8V rocket pods.
Thank you for these excellent photos of the Hokum, Hip & AH-64. What a comparison they make. The twin co-axial rotors, a Kamov trademark, actually make the helicopter more maneuverable and add a tiny amount of power back to the rotors compared to the traditional tail boom design. The design also eliminates dissymmetery of lift that occurs in a chopper with a single main rotor {a complex topic which can explain if wanted}. That Ka50 looks lethal. Sadly only 100 have been made. I wonder why the Russians went for only one crew member. Flying lo-lo-lo over a enemy held battlefield trying to interdict and prevent being shot down by ground fire while maintaining situational awareness and your navigational sense needs a crew of two it seems to me. But I'm sure they thought this through. Thank you for these outstanding photographs. Like I've said before you have a skill with the camera. I keep thinking of how to imitate your shots when photographing my own models. ....without the success and touch you have. :-)

Quote:
1:200 Dassault Mirage 2000C Armee de l'Air EC 2/12 Picardie, Cambrai AB, France, 2008 (Hogan)
Armee de l'Air EC Mirage 2000C 12-KA/94 was painted in a special livery to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the three squadrons (emblems painted on the rudder) that were a part of Escadron de Chasse 2/12 "Picardie" in 2008.
IMHO the Mirage 2000 is the most elegant, graceful looking and beautiful of modern fighters. I can see you are developing a soft spot for the Dassault bird with the big delta. :-) It is a pity that we are today at a point where 2 second hand Mirage 2000s coming from France make news. There was a time in the late 70s and early 80s when we built MiG-21s at the rate of 2 or 3 a month. Lovely looking model.

Quote:
1:72 North American F-86F-30 Sabre 604/K "Bevkeneve" , South African Air Force No.2 Sqn " Flying Cheetahs", Korea, 1953 (Easy Model)
All told the Sabre was a beautiful and superbly designed aircraft. Just look at that wing. While the MiG-15 became famous in the Korean War the Sabre was its equal more or less and proved as versatile {or more so} in being developed into many variants and upgrades. The Sabre was not a big plane it was the Gnat which was unbelievably diminutive. Lovely shots Sandesh and a great addition to your collection.

Easymodel looks like a very decent brand.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:18   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The design also eliminates dissymmetery of lift that occurs in a chopper with a single main rotor {a complex topic which can explain if wanted}.
Please, i would love to read about it. Another thing I have often wondered about Kamovs is how well would the coaxial rotors hold up in intense and missile and gun evasion maneuvers? What are the chances of the rotor blades colliding with each other? Or is it simply not possible?

Quote:
That Ka50 looks lethal. Sadly only 100 have been made. I wonder why the Russians went for only one crew member. Flying lo-lo-lo over a enemy held battlefield trying to interdict and prevent being shot down by ground fire while maintaining situational awareness and your navigational sense needs a crew of two it seems to me. But I'm sure they thought this through.
I suppose that two crew requirement led to the development of the Ka-52 Alligator/Hokum-B. I still have on old PC game CD tilted that let you fly from the pilot/gunner's perspective on a Ka-52(among other attack helicopters)

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-eech_.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-eech_2.jpg

Quote:
Thank you for these outstanding photographs. Like I've said before you have a skill with the camera. I keep thinking of how to imitate your shots when photographing my own models. ....without the success and touch you have. :-)
You are too kind and give me more credit than I deserve. I just play around with the zoom settings and angle while taking the photograph. Stand at a distance from the model, then use the zoom functionality of the camera to get up, close & personal with the model and then click away. Play around with the angles in between to make it more fun and you will have a new found passion for taking photographs of your models.

Quote:

Easymodel looks like a very decent brand.
Yes, it is. Cheap with the decent amount of detail.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 22:06   #1623
Distinguished - BHPian

Flew & fought with distinction in the Kashmir War of 1948
Was one of the fast piston-engined fighters in IAF service
One of two famous aircraft to have different variants powered by - (i) water-cooled V in-line and (ii) air-cooled radial engines
Shot down V-1 flying bombs in WW2
Shared a wing design from the same family {of airfoil} as the P-51D Mustang
Designed by the legendary Sir Sydney Camm

.....watch this space tomorrow for my 1:48 version.

<rolling drums>
Old 3rd December 2021, 23:22   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
One of two famous aircraft to have different variants powered by - (i) water-cooled V in-line and (ii) air-cooled radial engines
Shot down V-1 flying bombs in WW2
Shared a wing design from the same family {of airfoil} as the P-51D Mustang
Designed by the legendary Sir Sydney Camm

.....watch this space tomorrow for my 1:48 version.

<rolling drums>
I'm guessing its a Hawker Hurricane but Hermann Göring won't be too pleased!

Quote:
Before that I would love to add the famous Showtime 100 F-4J of VF-96 flown by Lt. Randy Cunningham & Lt(jg) Willie Driscoll in which they shot down three MiG-17s on a single mission before they had eject out of their SA-2 hit F-4.
Interesting to note Le Thanh Dao flying a Mig-21PFM painted green and attacking a F-4 from below at the same location and time (May 10, 1972) as Cunningham was shot down, claimed to shoot down a F-4 using a R-3S heat seeking missile. Coincidentally Cunningham and Driscoll always said that they had no warning from its RWR before being hit.

I guess they saw the SA-2 approaching in the rear view mirror and not the camouflaged Mig-21
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 09:01   #1625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I'm guessing its a Hawker Hurricane but Hermann Göring won't be too pleased!
Nope, try again :-). It's predecessor was the Typhoon and it was evolved into the Fury. This is a dead give away.

Quote:
Interesting to note Le Thanh Dao flying a Mig-21PFM painted green and attacking a F-4 from below at the same location and time (May 10, 1972) as Cunningham was shot down, claimed to shoot down a F-4 using a R-3S heat seeking missile. Coincidentally Cunningham and Driscoll always said that they had no warning from its RWR before being hit.
I guess they saw the SA-2 approaching in the rear view mirror and not the camouflaged Mig-21
Hmmmm! very interesting piece of information. Very very interesting.
Old 4th December 2021, 10:48   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, try again :-). It's predecessor was the Typhoon and it was evolved into the Fury. This is a dead give away.

Hmmmm! very interesting piece of information. Very very interesting.
Its the Hawker Tempest II Serial HA557 , decently weathered in brilliant silver. But I have insider information

P.S. I just realised I have a 1:72 Typhoon, somehow these Allied Aircraft are not as charming as Axis ones!

Last edited by Foxbat : 4th December 2021 at 10:51.
Old 4th December 2021, 13:07   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hawker Tempest Mk.II.

Quote:

Coincidentally Cunningham and Driscoll always said that they had no warning from its RWR before being hit.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-dscn0002.jpg

In an episode of Dogfights, Cunningham & his RIO Driscoll recalled the encounter in great detail and confirmed that shortly after their third kill of the day, he saw the SA-2 missile coming up to their F-4J and that he was lucky that he did not bank into the SAM's flight path, rather away from it to evade it, because if he had, it would have slammed into the cockpit killing them instantly. As per his & Driscoll's version, the SAM detonated near the rear fuselage showering sharpnel on the mid-fuselage and engine. Cunningham managed to keep their burning F-4 airborne before the tail and engine blew off shortly before crossing the beach. They managed to eject from what was left of their F-4 that was spinning furiously and were rescued by a SAR helicopter.

Quote:
not the camouflaged Mig-21
could be, because in the brawl between US Navy F-4s and VPAF MiGs on May 10, 1972, there were both MiG-17s and MiG-21s from the VPAF side. Also , there were losses of US Navy Phantoms that day. He may well have shot down someone else.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 4th December 2021 at 13:12.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 15:22   #1628
Distinguished - BHPian

Hawker Tempest II :: IAF colours, fighter bomber, 1948 Kashmir War :: 1:48 Plastic, custom painted model kit from Eduard
Length 8.5 inches; Wingspan 10 inches and change; finished in a 'used in a war zone' paint & delicate touching up

The Hawker Tempest II, one of the fastest and longest ranged piston engine fighters served with the IAF from 1945 to 1955. It served with distinction in the long Kashmir War of 1948 and was our mainstay for ground attack and air defence. This scale model in size 1:48 has been assembled by BHPian Basu Roy and painted to perfection by him right down to the subtle oil streaks, dirt on the tyre treads and paint peeling off on the wing upper surfaces and paint wear & tear of a well used aircraft in the middle of a war. The plastic model is of Special Hobby-Eduard brand and features eye watering detail of rivets, seat belts, landing gear, cowling etc.

Designed by the legendary Sir Sydney Camm it was his ultimate product from the piston engine era. He designed it around a thin low drag laminar flow wing which was its secret of speed, acceleration and climb. The wing’s thickness:chord ratio was 14.5% much less than was common at the time of its design in c.1941. Thinner wing = faster speed and acceleration for the same power. Its very large wing area of 302 sq feet aided manoeuverability. Bigger wing = lower wing loading = greater nimbleness. Compare this with 242 sq feet for the Spitfire or 173 sq feet for the Bf109. The tropicalized Tempest II was just too late to see service in WW2 but it became a handy machine for the IAF.

Please join me in complimenting Team BHPian Basu Roy for this superb master piece. As my photography skills are average at best I requested Basu to send me photos taken by him which are displayed here. Amongst my 150+ models this is the one with the most realistic weathered war torn finish.

Characteristics

• Length: 33 feet 8 inches
• Wingspan: 41 feet 0 in
• Wing area: 302 sq feet
• Gross weight: 5,171 kgs as an interceptor; 6,100 kg with 2x 1,000 lbs (450 kg) bombs
• Powerplant: Bristol Centaurus 18-cylinder two row air cooled radial of 53600cc and developing ~2000 shp sustained at sea level
• Propellers: 4-bladed de Havilland Hydromatic, 14 feet diameter constant-speed propeller

Performance

• Maximum speed: 435 mph (700 km/h, 378 kn) at 17,000 ft
• Combat range: ~680 km, 360 nm
• Service ceiling: 36,500 feet
• Rate of climb: 4,700 feet/min

Armament

• 4 × 20 mm (0.787 in) , 200 rounds per gun
• With 2000lbs (900 kgs) of bombs

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-1.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tempest-2.jpg
Note the rugged finish of the engine cowling which has undergone field repairs and the oil streaks all over the fuselage. Note the 20mm gun blisters, two on each wing.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tempest-3.jpg
Note the clean lines, wide track landing gear {for safer landings} bubble canopy - all features in the latter stages of the war.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tempest-5.jpg
Landing gear. Clipped wing tips for better roll rates.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tempest-6.jpg
The rivets and each wing panel can be seen in this highly detailed assembly kit

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tempest-7.jpg
Note oil cooler radiator in starboard wing leading edge.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tempest-8.jpg
Paint wear and tear on wing inboard where pilots would climb to access the cockpit. Seat belts, seat, canopy.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tempest-9.jpg
The master piece

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tempest-10.png
Line drawing of this pinnacle of piston-engined fighters
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 15:44   #1629
BHPian

Quote:
Hawker Tempest II :: IAF colours, fighter bomber, 1948 Kashmir War :: 1:48 Plastic, custom painted model kit from Eduard

The Hawker Tempest II, one of the fastest and longest ranged piston engine fighters served with the IAF from 1945 to 1955. It served with distinction in the long Kashmir War of 1948 and was our mainstay for ground attack and air defence.
That is an awesome model with life like detail. Not much to differentiate it from the real thing. This level of detail takes quite some skill and patience to perfect, definitely one of Basuroy's master pieces . Is this the King of your collection now? I prefer your 1:48 Rafale and 1:72 Fulcrum (yet to be posted)

In the 1948 Kashmir war was the IAF involved in any big offensive operations or dogfights? I was always under the impression it was a mostly a ground war.
Foxbat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 16:15   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Truly outstanding work!!! The fluid leak and wear & tear marks look so realistic. Basuroy is a genius!!!

Congratulations on adding this historic aircraft to your collection.

As I have fetish for aircraft serial numbers, this probably might interest you. HA557 was ex-RAF MW404. MW404 was built in 1945 and served with No. 247 Squadron in Chilbolton in Hampshire, England. After it had been in service for two years the plane was bought back by the manufacturer, refurbished and sold to the Indian Air Force (IAF), entering active duty in 1948. After the type was retired from front line service in 1954, MW404 was assigned decoy duties at Poona Air Force Base, along with at least a dozen other Tempest IIs.

In 1979 MV404 was bought by Doug Arnold, who had it shipped to the UK. MW404 was procured by Jim Horsley in UK in 1988 and remained in storage for years in UK. Finally in 2012 Chris Miller, Texas USA, bought MW404 to restore the Tempest to an airworthy state.

Quote:
In the 1948 Kashmir war was the IAF involved in any big offensive operations or dogfights? I was always under the impression it was a mostly a ground war.
No dogfights ever took place and the RIAF flew purely in a support role to the army and flew some strike missions, but on one occasion a RPAF DC-3 was intercepted by two RIAF Tempests in Kashmir. By the time the RIAF Tempests fired warning shots and were in a position to shoot it down, the RPAF DC-3 slipped back into Pakistani airspace. Two on the RPAF DC-3 were killed or wounded in the gunfire from the Tempests.

The RPAF pilot got a gallantry award for the escape.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 4th December 2021 at 16:27.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 21:15   #1631
Distinguished - BHPian

I patrol low and slow for 13 hours at a stretch
I search for enemy underwater assets and turn them into liabilities
Unique amongst modern warplanes I served with the air arms of two and only two countries in the world.....and yet I am considered a success
I first flew in 1961 and am still in service with the two air arms
who am I
???
Need another clue?

One of my stable mates became the most widely produced military aircraft of all time ever.
Watch this space.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Congratulations on adding this historic aircraft to your collection.
Thanks. Basuroy's skills are to die for.

Quote:
As I have fetish for aircraft serial numbers, this probably might interest you. HA557 was ex-RAF MW404. MW404 was built in 1945 and served with No. 247 Squadron in Chilbolton in Hampshire, England. After it had been in service for two years the plane was bought back by the manufacturer, refurbished and sold to the Indian Air Force (IAF), entering active duty in 1948. After the type was retired from front line service in 1954, MW404 was assigned decoy duties at Poona Air Force Base, along with at least a dozen other Tempest IIs.

In 1979 MV404 was bought by Doug Arnold, who had it shipped to the UK. MW404 was procured by Jim Horsley in UK in 1988 and remained in storage for years in UK. Finally in 2012 Chris Miller, Texas USA, bought MW404 to restore the Tempest to an airworthy state.
Wow. Your skill at digging is quite something. Thank you for this information.

Quote:
The RPAF pilot got a gallantry award for the escape.
must be a first!!

Quote:
That is an awesome model with life like detail. Not much to differentiate it from the real thing. This level of detail takes quite some skill and patience to perfect, definitely one of Basuroy's master pieces . Is this the King of your collection now? I prefer your 1:48 Rafale and 1:72 Fulcrum (yet to be posted)
Thank you Comrade. Don't report me to the Gestapo. ;-). The Rafale, I agree is a steal. Another favourite {of mine} is coming up.

Quote:
It was 99% ground attack. The presence of the Tempests kept the nasties at home.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 4th December 2021 at 21:26.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 23:00   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
I patrol low and slow for 13 hours at a stretch
I search for enemy underwater assets and turn them into liabilities
Unique amongst modern warplanes I served with the air arms of two and only two countries in the world.....and yet I am considered a success
I first flew in 1961 and am still in service with the two air arms

who am I
Ilyushin Il-38, Welcome back Comrade

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ilyushin_il38sd_krivchikov_2007.jpeg

I picked up a small printed painting of this aircraft this summer from the Naval Aviation Museum in Goa.

Last edited by Foxbat : 4th December 2021 at 23:03.
Old 12th December 2021, 10:38   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please, I would love to read about it.
Never ask an old man to explain something. As we grow older we like to hear our own voice. :-) So hear goes. {Warning, long post ahead}

What are co-axial rotors: Co-axial rotors are a pair of helicopter rotors mounted one above the other on concentric shafts, with the same axis of rotation, but turning in opposite directions (contra-rotating). Having two co-axial sets of rotors provides symmetry of lift forces around the central axis for lifting the helicopter and laterally when flying in any direction. One of the problems with single set of main rotor blades is the torque (rotational force) exerted on the helicopter fuselage in the direction opposite to the rotor blades. This torque causes the fuselage to rotate in the direction opposite to the rotor blades. In single rotor helicopters, the anti-torque rotor or tail rotor counteracts the main rotor torque and controls the fuselage rotation.

Co-axial rotors solve the problem of main rotor torque by turning each set of rotors in opposite directions. The opposite torques from the rotors cancel each other out. In automotive parlance, on a lighter note, a co-axial is like a well balanced sedan and a helicopter with a tail rotor (to cancel out torque) is like driving with a trailer :-)

Symmetry or Dissymmetry of Lift: From a flying point of view the big thing about co-axials is the symmetry of lift as compared to conventional helicopters which have dissymmetry of lift. Dissymmetry of lift is an aerodynamic phenomenon caused by the rotation of a helicopter's rotors in forward flight. Rotor blades provide lift proportional to the amount of air flowing over them. When viewed from above, the rotor blades move in the direction of flight for half of the rotation (advancing half), and then move in the opposite direction for the remainder of the rotation (retreating half). A rotor blade produces more lift in the advancing half. As a blade moves toward the direction of flight, the forward motion of the aircraft increases the speed of the air flowing around the blade until it reaches a maximum when the blade is perpendicular to the relative wind. At the same time, a rotor blade in the retreating half produces less lift. As a blade moves away from the direction of flight, the speed of the airflow over the rotor blade is reduced by an amount equal to the forward speed of the aircraft, reaching its maximum effect (or least lift) when the rotor blade is again perpendicular to the relative wind. Co-axial rotors avoid the effects of dissymmetry of lift through the use of two rotors turning in opposite directions, causing blades to advance on either side at the same time. This is key. The symmetry of lift in automotive jargon is like a 4-wheel drive. The conventional helicopter is like driving with your space saver fitted on one of the front wheels – manageable but far from ideal. A two blade conventional configuration means the helicopter is always flying with greater lift on one side versus the other. Increasing the number of blades reduces this dissymmetry but can never eliminate it.

Payload: Another benefit arising from a co-axial design includes increased payload for the same engine power; a tail rotor typically wastes some of the available engine power that would be fully devoted to lift and thrust with a co-axial design. If every kilo of weight saved and every horsepower of extra thrust is like silver in a fixed wing then it is not gold but diamond in a helicopter. Reduced noise is the main advantage of the configuration. Some of the loud "phat-phat-phat" sound associated with conventional helicopters arises from interaction between the airflows from the main and tail rotors. That gets eliminated with co-axials. Important on a battlefield where you hear a low flying helicopter long before you see it.
Quote:
Another thing I have often wondered about Kamov's is how well would the coaxial rotors hold up in intense and missile and gun evasion maneuvers?
Stability & rotor damage: A helicopter's ability to hover and be stable is synonymous with its quality of being a helicopter. In co-axial designs, the improved ability to hover and maintain stable flight ultimately makes for better flying and stability. Better helicopters mean that they are easier to control and safer for the occupants. Theoretically, if one rotor broke in a co-axial system, the craft could still be landed safely. In a conventional helicopter if the main rotor gets damaged you have to do a dead stick landing if you are lucky. If the tail rotor gets damaged you will spin around and could lose complete orientation.

Lastly, the application of co-axial rotors means that there is no inherent need for the craft to have a gyroscope to provide stability. The rotational effects of both rotors provide for a near perfect gyroscope, improving the stability of the craft once more.

However....:However, the first main fault is that the timing of the two rotor blades needs to be near perfect. Speed and directional changes need to be achieved together. Even the slightest fault in calibration essentially makes the aircraft unstable and impossible to fly. A fault in calibration is worse than you probably think for the craft's ability to fly. In theory if the timing is off enough, a co-axial helicopter won't produce enough lift to even leave the ground and end up just spinning on the tarmac!!

Manoeuverability: On top of the need for accuracy in the tuning of the rotors, these rotors tend not to be as responsive as a single rotorcraft. When you make an aircraft more stable, you generally make precise movements harder to achieve – it is a constant tradeoff in aerospace design - that is why the best fighters today are fundamentally unstable designs kept stable by computers managing hundreds of minor flight surface movements every minute.

In conclusion: While co-axial helicopters are safe and efficient, they are not well suited for applications where pilots need fine maneuverability (army attack and anti-helicopter choppers). They are, however, perfect for applications where precise hovering is needed. (Naval helicopters for example)
Quote:
What are the chances of the rotor blades colliding with each other? Or is it simply not possible?
I don't know the design aspects. Never heard of blades colliding. So I guess it is designed in. Hope this helps. Thank you for reading.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 12th December 2021 at 10:46.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 14:01   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never ask an old man to explain something. As we grow older we like to hear our own voice. :-) So hear goes. {Warning, long post ahead}
Sir, Thank you for taking the time to write in such great detail about coaxial rotors, Much appreciated. As always, enjoyed reading it and learnt something new.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 15:02   #1635
Senior - BHPian

1:72 McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II VMFA-235 "Death Angels", United States Marine Corps, Bu No. 153887 DB13, 1972 (Hobbymaster)

The F-4J was the improved version of the F-4B for US Navy and Marine Corps. It was equipped J79-GE-10 engines with 17,844 lbf (79.3 kN) of afterburner thrust each (compared to the F-4B's J79-GE-8A or -8B engines with 16,950 lbf (75.4 kN) of afterburner thrust each).These engines were externally distinguishable by their longer afterburner "turkey feathers". Because of the increased weight and the more demanding sink rate requirements, the F-4J was fitted with a beefed-up landing gear with larger mainwheels. In order to accommodate these larger mainwheels, the upper and lower surfaces of the inner wing had to be bulged outward like those on the USAF F-4C. An additional fuel cell was fitted in the rear fuselage to bring internal fuel capacity to 1998 gallons. However, the number 1 fuel cell was slightly reduced in size to accommodate the computer and other electronics.

Even though the Navy wanted better takeoff and landing performance for the Phantom, it nevertheless felt that speed, climb, and range requirements ruled out the use of the high-drag slatted wing that was used by the Air Force on the F-4E. In the pursuit of better takeoff and landing performance, McDonnell decided instead to add a slot to the stabilator leading edge, effectively turning it into a miniature inverted slatted wing. This slotted stabilator provided a tremendous downward force at low speeds, which allowed a large leading edge down deflection without stalling. The effectiveness of the slotted stabilator was markedly improved by locking the inboard leading flap in the up position.

The F-4J introduced 16.5-degree drooped ailerons, which is a fancy way of saying that with gear and flaps down, a downward deflection of 16.5 degrees became the "neutral" aileron deflection.

As a result of all these aerodynamic innovations, the approach speed was reduced from 157 mph to 144mph.

The F-4J was equipped with the AN/AJB-7 bombing system which provided substantially better ground attack capability over that of the F-4B. It had the capability for all-altitude release of nuclear weapons at various angles on a timed basis from the target or offset. In addition, it had the capability of working with the Bullpup air-to-surface missile. The F-4J was also equipped with the AN/AWG-10 fire control system housed in an enlarged radome. This set used an AN/APG-59 pulse-Doppler radar in place of the earlier APQ-72. This new radar was designed to detect and track low-lying aircraft and to distinguish them from sea/ground returns. The F-4J was fitted with the AN/ASW-25 one-way datalink which made automatic carrier landings possible. The infrared search and tracking pod underneath the nose of the F-4B was finally removed.

Other improvements were added during the course of production. From 1969, Sidewinder Expanded Acquisition Mode (SEAM) was provided. This involved new wiring and the fitting of other items designed to make full use of upgraded Sidewinder missiles. The Visual Target Acquisition System (VTAS) helmet sight was fitted to Blocks 45 and 46 F-4Js, and was later retrofitted to most earlier aircraft. Also retrofitted was the Sanders AN/ALQ-126 electronics countermeasures set with prominent slender fore and aft canoe-shaped fairing antennae mounted on the upper intakes. A hemispheric dielectric antenna was mounted at the leading edge of the canoe. Two more antennae were added below the engine intakes. AN AN/AYK-14 dogfight computer was added, and AN/APX-76 or -89 IFF equipment was also provided. An AN/APR-32 radar warning set was fitted, with antennae mounted in the fin-cap trailing edge and in a box underneath the nose. Reduced smoke J79-GE-10B engines were also retrofitted.

The first F-4J deliveries began on October 1, 1966. VF-101 began re-equipping with the type in December of that year. They rapidly began to replace the earlier F-4B in most operational Navy squadrons.

The F-4J served with the following Navy squadrons:

Atlantic Fleet:

VF-11, VF-31, VF-32, VF-33, VF-41, VF-74, VF-84, VF-101, VF-102, VF-103.

Pacific Fleet:

VF-21, VF-92, VF-96, VF-114, VF-121, VF-142, VF-143, VF-151, VF-154, VF-161, VF-191, VF-194, VF-213.

The first Marine Corps unit to receive the F-4J was VMFA-334, which began to receive the type in June of 1967. VMFA-334 was deployed to Chu Lai, RVN and VMFA-232 quickly followed in the beginning of 1969. in fact VMFA-334 was part of Pres. Nixon's first pullout of 25,000 troops on August 24, 1969. The following Marine Corps units operated the F-4J:

VMFA-112, VMFA-115, VMFA-122, VMFA-212, VMFA-232, VMFA-235, VMFA-312, VMFA-333, VMFA-334, VMFA-451, VMMAT-201, and VMFAT-101.

F-4Js were used extensively in Vietnam during the later stages of Operation Rolling Thunder, which lasted from March 2, 1965 until October 31, 1968. They returned to Vietnam to participate in Operation Linebacker in 1972. On September 11, 1972, Major Thomas Lasseter and Captain John D. Commings flying F-4J BuNo 155526 of VFMA-333 from the USS America (CV-66) shot down a MiG-21 over North Vietnam, scoring the only Marine air-to-air kill in the Southeast Asia conflict. The F-4J was the last US aircraft in operation in Southeast Asia, with Marine F-4Js of VMFA-232 finally leaving the base at Nam Phong in Thailand in August of 1973.

Seven modified F-4Js were assigned to the Blue Angels flight demonstration team in January 1969. This famous team operated the Phantom until the end of the 1973 season, when the energy crisis caused by the Arab oil embargo forced a switch to more fuel-efficient Douglas A-4 Skyhawks.

A few F-4Js were modified for use by VAQ-33 in the "electronic aggressor" role with electronic countermeasures pods and jammers carried underneath their wings. When so modified, they were redesignated EF-4J.

The F-4Js began to leave Navy service in the mid-1970s, when the Grumman F-14 Tomcat became available. Many F-4Js were replaced by F-4Ns, which were upgraded F-4Bs. Most surviving F-4Js were placed in storage at Davis-Monthan AFB as they were retired from service. However, approximately 250 surviving F-4Js were upgraded into F-4S configuration and then returned to service.

The F-4J began to leave Marine Corps service in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Many of the surviving Marine Corps F-4Js were upgraded to F-4S status and were returned to service, where they soldiered on into the late 1980s and even the early 1990s.

One US Navy pilot and one RIO became aces in F-4Js (Randy 'Duke' Cunningham & William "Irish" Driscoll).

VMFA-235 & F-4J
VMF(AW)-235 "Death Angles" first deployed to Vietnam in 1966 flying the F-8E Crusader and during a 10 month deployment flew over 6,000 combat sorties. They were the last active duty Crusader squadron.

Like all USMC squadrons, they specialized in Close AIr Support missions. They saw heavy action in the early years of teh Vietna mWar flying teh F-8E Crusaders. The yflew over 6000 combat missions between 1966 to 1968. The squadron re-equipped with the F-4J in 1968 and be home based at MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

In 1967 they returned to Vietnam until May 1968 when they left for MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii and were re-designated VMFA-235 "Death Angels". They re-equipped with the F-4J Phantom II which they flew until 1989 when they transitioned to the F/A-18 Hornet.
VMFA-235's motto was “Ride Nunc” which was Latin for “Laugh Now”...that is probably the reason why that they had the nose section of their aircraft painted Red with stars in between

Drone Hunter becomes a Drone!!!
The aircraft carried three BQM-34 drone "kill" marks on the port side intake splitter plate acquired during missile training exercises. F-4J 153887 left VMFA-235 in 1977 and was later upgraded to an F-4S.It served as for many years with VMFA-321 "Hell's Angels". In 1991 the aircraft was converted to a drone and shot down in 2001.

F-4J Phantom II Specifications
Crew: 2
Role: Carrier based multi-role fighter

Dimensions
Length: 17.7m
Height: 4.7m
Wingspan: 11.6m
Wingarea: 49.2 sq m
No. of Engines: 2
Powerplant : General Electric J79-GE-10 (A/B 17,900Lb/8,119Kg)

Performance
Range: 2,222 km
Cruise Speed: 908 km/h
Max Speed: 2,299 km/h
Climb: 12,572 m/min
Ceiling: 16,672 m
Fuel capacity: 1,994 US gal (1,660 imp gal; 7,550 l) internal, 3,335 US gal (2,777 imp gal; 12,620 l) with 2x 370 US gal (310 imp gal; 1,400 l) external tanks on the outer wing hardpoints and either a 600 or 610 US gal (500 or 510 imp gal; 2,300 or 2,300 l) tank for the center-line station.

Armament: Armament consisted of four AIM-7 Sparrow semi-active radar homing air-to-air missiles in semi-recessed slots in the fuselage belly and two to four AIM-9 Sidewinder infra-red homing air-to-air missiles carried under the wings on the inboard pylons. A total offensive bomb load of up to 16,000 pounds could be carried on the centerline and four underwing hardpoints.

The model is armed with 4 X AIM-7 Sparrows, 4 X AIM-9 Sidewinders, 12 X Mk.82 500-lb GP bombs (of which eight bombs have Daisy Cutter extensions), 2 X F-4 Drop tanks & an optioned centerline drop tank.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_9.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f4j_10.jpg

Closeups
3 X BQM-34 Firebee drone kill marks