Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2020, 13:04   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

If it's a 4x2x2 tank and it's the only fish, that's a good size tank for your fish. Try adding some driftwood or a broken flowerpot for the fish to hide. Will help a lot
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 19:26   #932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
If it's a 4x2x2 tank and it's the only fish, that's a good size tank for your fish. Try adding some driftwood or a broken flowerpot for the fish to hide. Will help a lot
Already there. 2 feet drift wood and 2 bowls with plants. Can I add another fish into this tank safely? Say another flower horn?
Old 14th November 2020, 19:33   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Already there. 2 feet drift wood and 2 bowls with plants. Can I add another fish into this tank safely? Say another flower horn?
Could you put up a full pic of the tank please?

And no, don't add another FH in there. If you set the tank with breaks in line of sight and enough places to run and hide then maybe a convict. Maybe.

Best kept alone. Unless you have a monster tank
Old 15th November 2020, 00:40   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone help me identify this fish? I bought it when it was 1" in size, and was told that it was a flowerhorn. But no horn has developed in the last 3 years.
As others have aleady pointed out, this is definately a flowerhorn strain from the cichlid family. The flowerhorn gene pool is highly unstable and only a few actually develop the perfect shape and bright colors. Mostly males will develop the hump though. That is also why the adult ones are expensive compared to the juveniles. This is a man-made hybrid actually derived from crossing various cichilds.

Your fish looks like it is suffering from fungal fin rot and is stressed. Your tank size seems ok, however your filtration system (dont see it in the pics) doesnt look like its doing its job of biological filtration. Once the water quality is addressed, you could use some natural remedies like salt water treatment for the fin rot.
Old 15th November 2020, 01:07   #935
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a doubt thats an Indian Tilapia :P Those stripes make me feel so and it has no signs of a minor lump also. And I always thought flowerhorns had a much more blunt nose. I once realised my farm pond was full of these and I thought I hit a cichlid jackpot and called my aquarist. After I sent him a pic he sent a laughing smiley and told I can only make fish fry out of it since its a tilapia and not a cichlid. But I can definitely be wrong. Or as Deathwalkr mentioned its a very poor breed of flower horn. But doesnt look like a Texas cichlid to me. They have their spots prominent and are more round in shape.
Old 8th December 2020, 21:00   #936
Senior - BHPian

Restarting my hobby after a span of about 10 years. currently got a micro tank with few glofish danios. It just has a filter on it.

What are the reliable websites to order aquarium accessories and plants?

LFS is super busy and has a token system to enter the shop, with people standing in queues for an hour or so at times!
Old 9th December 2020, 10:17   #937
Senior - BHPian

indianaquarium.com

easypets.in

for plants:
https://sreepadma.com/

(this is based in Aluva i think. Might be worthwhile to take a drive there )

welcome back to the hobby. i am just waiting for my son to get a bit older before starting again. had decommissioned my previous tank a few years back after my wife found him ready to take a dip inside! he had dragged a chair, piled up a couple of cushions and was going to climb before my wife caught him. whew!
Old 21st December 2020, 17:04   #938
BHPian

Have a small fish tank setup of 16x16x16 in. For the past few months in Covid times, there has been just 1 fish in the Tank; Rainbow Shark I think. Also, I have not been able to maintain it and the fish tank had become dark and muddy. Cleaned it yesterday and it looks much better now. Except that there are quite a lot of marks developed on all 4 sides of the glass, which I was unable to remove. Pic attached. Any way i can get rid of these marks and get it restored? Else, i was also pondering of going for a new Tank setup. Suggestions please.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20201221_131334.jpg  

Old 21st December 2020, 17:20   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone help me identify this fish? I bought it when it was 1" in size, and was told that it was a flowerhorn. But no horn has developed in the last 3 years.

Attachment 2080123

Attachment 2080124
It looks like a Severum (Heros efasciatus - https://www.fishbase.se/FieldGuide/F...us&sps=&print=)
Old 21st December 2020, 22:28   #940
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2080123

Attachment 2080124
May be this is a Frontosa Cichlid. They can develop a very minor hump.

Last edited by petrol_power : 21st December 2020 at 22:29.
Old 22nd December 2020, 00:23   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Any way i can get rid of these marks and get it restored? Else, i was also pondering of going for a new Tank setup. Suggestions please.
You can usually restore glass tanks to an 'almost new' like appearance using simple techniques. For the algae, use the scrapper or a clean cloth or even a filter wool to rub off. The white stains which are shown in the pic, is that some glue residue? Superficial? I would just use a simple shaving blade to scrape it off. Just be careful with the blade and maintain a 45 degree angle at all times. Do not swipe the edge sideways along the glass as it may scratch it. You can also get those algae scrappers which use common shaving blades.

I would not recommend using any chemicals unless you know what you are doing.
TheCatalyst is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:37   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Except that there are quite a lot of marks developed on all 4 sides of the glass, which I was unable to remove. Pic attached. Any way i can get rid of these marks and get it restored? Else, i was also pondering of going for a new Tank setup. Suggestions please.
Those stains happened after you cleaned the tank? What did you use to clean the tank? And can these stains be scraped off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
It looks like a Severum (Heros efasciatus - https://www.fishbase.se/FieldGuide/F...us&sps=&print=)
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
May be this is a Frontosa Cichlid. They can develop a very minor hump.
No.
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:01   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
You can usually restore glass tanks to an 'almost new' like appearance using simple techniques. For the algae, use the scrapper or a clean cloth or even a filter wool to rub off. The white stains which are shown in the pic, is that some glue residue? Superficial? I would just use a simple shaving blade to scrape it off.
Thanks for your inputs. I managed to clear out the Algae by cleaning with Filter wool. I assume the white stains are the Water marks. For quite some time, the Tank was just half full with Water. So, the top part was left to dry. I tried using a cutter blade to scrape off the white marks. Was able to remove some of it so far. But some marks are too deep. Will try again. Sharing another Pic post clean-up and adding few more fishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Those stains happened after you cleaned the tank? What did you use to clean the tank? And can these stains be scraped off?
Nope. Guess they are Hard water marks due to upper part of Tank getting dried up. I removed the dirty water using a Siphon Pump and cleaned the Tank inner glass using the Filter Wool and Newspaper. And cleaned the Filter in Tap water. As mentioned above, tried scraping the white marks using a cutter blade, but it is not getting easily removed.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-4.jpg  

Old 23rd December 2020, 14:04   #944
Senior - BHPian

If they are salt stains, try lemon and cloth
Old 24th December 2020, 20:48   #945
BHPian

Need some advice from Bhp'ians familiar with Aquarium plants upkeep. Got an Anubias Plant (not sure which type, as i read there are many) from the LFS nearby. Wanted to know if it is OK to keep the Plant in the Pot as shown in the Pic. Reading a bit Online today, got to know that best way is to tie it to Driftwood or to a Stone so that the Rhizome is exposed and the Plant can grow and flourish. Also, is any Fertilizer needed for Anubias, as i read it does not need any maintenance and is an easy to manage Plant.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20201224_201759.jpg  

abhi3284 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks