Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:05   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

My Black Molly gave birth to about 15 fry 3 weeks back. Now they have doubled in size but are still silver in color. When will they become black. There are a few white Molly in the same tank so could have cross bred. Other fish are a few Goldfish and a plecos.
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:12   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
My Black Molly gave birth to about 15 fry 3 weeks back. Now they have doubled in size but are still silver in color. When will they become black. There are a few white Molly in the same tank so could have cross bred. Other fish are a few Goldfish and a plecos.
It will usually stay like that. Black mollies are born black and they remain so. It is a case of cross colouring. But this will lead to mixed results. Sometimes the colour combinations will be really good, and sometimes horrible Try to pair black with an orange molly and the results are good. Usually silver mollies are the worst looking of the lot, unless they get some black spots or such.
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:44   #573
Senior - BHPian

I've never had silver mollies. This black has been in my tank for ~2 years atleast. With other blacks, and a few whites. How did the silver creep in? They actually look like guppies.
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:29   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I've never had silver mollies. This black has been in my tank for ~2 years atleast. With other blacks, and a few whites. How did the silver creep in? They actually look like guppies.
Then the babies will grow up to be white mollies or white ones with some dark patches. The white babies usually take some time to get the milky white pigmentation before which they will look colorless or as you say like guppies.
Old 7th September 2017, 14:03   #575
BHPian

Guys, has any one used API General Cure for their fish? I have to treat my Oscar and wanted to know if my filter needs to be turned off during the entire dosage of 96 hours. Have a Sun Sun canister filter with UV. Media are bioballs, ceramic rings and sponge.

As per API, only the carbon media should be removed and hence this doubt.
Old 7th September 2017, 14:51   #576
Senior - BHPian

UV should also be switched off.

What is the problem with your oscar?

Usually along with medication, increase in temp and aeration are also recommended.
Old 7th September 2017, 18:08   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
UV should also be switched off.

What is the problem with your oscar?

Usually along with medication, increase in temp and aeration are also recommended.
HITH.. temperature is increased and added additional air stone. UV is within the filter. I don't have carbon media in the filter, still to keep it turned off for 96 hrs?

Last edited by dre@ms : 7th September 2017 at 18:10.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:49   #578
Senior - BHPian

Hmm usually UV filters would have a separate switch to switch off the UV light.

HITH is tough to cure. Hope the Oscar pulls through.

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/hole-in-the-head-disease
Old 8th September 2017, 22:19   #579
Senior - BHPian

Usually medication and treatment should be done outside the main tank in a separate quarantine tank. If that isnt possible then run the filter in a bucketful of tank water for a few days while the treatment is on. The medication will most likely kill the good filter bacteria and the carbon will remove some of the medication.
Old 9th September 2017, 10:57   #580
BHPian

Do not have a quarantine tank and hence using the main tank since both my Oscars are affected but only one the most severe with bloody fins, scraped belly, loss of appetite. He is very much showing improvement now and the second dosage is tonight.

3 airstones in action with the canister filter turned off.
Old 9th September 2017, 23:35   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Do not have a quarantine tank and hence using the main tank since both my Oscars are affected but only one the most severe with bloody fins, scraped belly, loss of appetite. He is very much showing improvement now and the second dosage is tonight.

3 airstones in action with the canister filter turned off.

Best of luck for your fish. I so wish that there were fish doctors and hospitals to take care. Having kept fish for over 10 years.. one thing I always regretted was losing a fish to a disease without proper medical care. I had 3 who were a victim of "cloudy eyes". Tried various medicines but nothing worked. This after keeping the water quality excellent left me clueless.
Old 10th September 2017, 23:09   #582
Senior - BHPian

If the canister remains off, the good bacteria you have in it will die off and you could possibly have an ammonia spike once you turn it on. Now while its not needed open it up and clean it out and then directly connect it when the treatment is over. You will need to do frequent small water changes for a couple of weeks until the filter bacteria colony gets reestablished
Old 11th September 2017, 09:38   #583
BHPian

Thanks, I checked the filter yesterday and it was not mucky and doesnt require a clean. Also confirmed that there is no carbon (sponge, aquaclay balls, ceramic rings). After these checks, turned it on. Temperature set at 30deg.

Bloody fins are disappeared and he is a bit active now but chooses to sulk at a corner or behind the stone. Yet to feed the oscars. General cure dosage is complete and 30% water change is scheduled tonight. Planning to use the left over packet (2) tomorrow.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:37   #584
Senior - BHPian

What is the tank size and what other fishes do you have in it? What is your weekly water change procedure?

HITH usually happens due to bad water conditions or stress...
Old 15th September 2017, 11:37   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
What is the tank size and what other fishes do you have in it? What is your weekly water change procedure?

HITH usually happens due to bad water conditions or stress...
Missed your post.
Tried all medications possible with frequent water changes but lost my Oscar day before. The other one is now all alone. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks