Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2017, 16:34   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Thanks audioholic.. The moss is thriving well.
I wanted to know if you could identify them? Will they be compatible with my goldfish, mollies, tiger barb or guppies? They seem to have no colour. I was told they are electric blue, but that was because of the top light. Are they aggressive? What size will they attain?
Old 15th July 2017, 21:54   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I got 3 fishes recently. They are about 1 1/2 inch long. I was told they were cichlids. Can anyone identify them?
The pictures arent too clear, probably due to your water quality (increase filtration !) but those fish look a lot like badis badis or a variety of them. Have a look on the net and confirm if it is indeed them. They need live food though like worms and daphnia and dont often take to dry food
Old 15th July 2017, 23:29   #558
Senior - BHPian

Took the pics without light. Top light is red, blue and white and makes the fish look like its blue. As seen in the last pic.
How do I differentiate between basis and cichlids? Net pics look similar to me. My fish are colourless.
Old 16th July 2017, 00:13   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks audioholic.. The moss is thriving well.
I wanted to know if you could identify them? Will they be compatible with my goldfish, mollies, tiger barb or guppies? They seem to have no colour. I was told they are electric blue, but that was because of the top light. Are they aggressive? What size will they attain?

If they are cichlids then you should not mix them with goldfish, mollies or guppies. Cichlids are territorial and if not immediately then maybe in a couple of days they will feast on the slow and less aggressive fish. The ones you have look like African cichlids (not sure as the photos are a little cloudy) and will grow to around 4 inches or so at the max.
Old 16th July 2017, 10:00   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got 3 fishes recently. They are about 1 1/2 inch long. I was told they were cichlids. Can anyone identify them?
Looks like Blue Morph as they are commonly called in the trade. But fishes look stressed out. Let them settle a bit so that their real colours start to shine and it would be easier to identify.

Make no mistake, they are Lake Malawi Cichlids belonging to the Mbuna family and are cave dwellers. They need lot of rocks to hide in and to feed off the algae growing on the rocks. Mostly veggie feeders with some being omnivorous.

Common trait of Mbuna is that they are aggressive.

Look up Mbuna tank setup images in google and try designing your tank like that.

Please read about fishes you plan to buy before you buy them

Good luck
Old 16th July 2017, 10:18   #561
BHPian

Need help guys!

Whenever there is a power outage and inverter comes on, twice it has happened that water starts leaking from canister filter. Happened today again, even though electrcity and inverter swapping happened multiple times since the last leak.

Now its out of the cabinet, have cleaned all the water on the floor. If I tilt the filter to the side in powered off state, watwr starts coming out from below the handles/from the seam of top cover and bottom main body. Whats the solution??

Should i keep this off of inverter? So that when light goes off this is also turned off?

I am ao tired of this repeated issues , thinking about puttng everything on olx...i can do this when i am at home, what if this starts happening in my absence?! Mom would not be able to stop it!!

Totally unreliable. I was better off with internal filters...
Old 17th July 2017, 10:41   #562
Senior - BHPian

That is a strange occurrence. Thankfully i have not had it happen to me and i run three canisters for my 250L tank.

Try hang on back filters. Internal filters are hopeless with regards to biological filtration.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:43   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
That is a strange occurrence. Thankfully i have not had it happen to me and i run three canisters for my 250L tank.

Try hang on back filters. Internal filters are hopeless with regards to biological filtration.
Got it fixed by applying vaseline petroleum jelly on beading. For now no leakage....dont know for how long though.
Old 24th July 2017, 14:48   #564
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I have noticed small things like snail sticking to the glass. Its not a snail and looks really small and brown in color. Any idea what this might be? I have a few tetra and 1 ghost shrimp. And two live plants.

Should I remove this?
Old 24th July 2017, 18:16   #565
Senior - BHPian

I put a pond snail into the tank with the 3 fish I had posted earlier. Suspected Mbuna cichlid vs Badis Badis. The fish started attacking the snail and by this morning the snail is dead and even the shell is bleached. The fish are shy and don't seem to like floating food. But attack the pellets if caught in the stream of the filter. Happy to eat earthworms though.
Still unable to definitely identify the fishes.
Old 24th July 2017, 18:31   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Hello,

I have noticed small things like snail sticking to the glass. Its not a snail and looks really small and brown in color. Any idea what this might be? I have a few tetra and 1 ghost shrimp. And two live plants.

Should I remove this?
A pic might help.

Quote:
I put a pond snail into the tank with the 3 fish I had posted earlier. Suspected Mbuna cichlid vs Badis Badis. The fish started attacking the snail and by this morning the snail is dead and even the shell is bleached. The fish are shy and don't seem to like floating food. But attack the pellets if caught in the stream of the filter. Happy to eat earthworms though.
Still unable to definitely identify the fishes.
They are Mbunas. No doubt. Treat them accordingly.
Old 29th July 2017, 18:52   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A pic might help.

They are Mbunas. No doubt. Treat them accordingly.
Well those are snails. Very small ones brown coloured.

I have not added them to the tank. I'm surprised. Hope it's alright, or do I need to remove them. I found two, maybe there are more.
Old 29th July 2017, 18:55   #568
Senior - BHPian

And before you know it, they would have infested your tank

Eggs would have been there in the plants when you got them. Remove them.
Old 29th July 2017, 19:57   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And before you know it, they would have infested your tank

Eggs would have been there in the plants when you got them. Remove them.
Ok. I found 4 now. Removed them. The plants are being eaten by the fish. I saw a few munching on the leaves at greedy rate.
Old 31st July 2017, 16:40   #570
Senior - BHPian

Just having fun with photo editing

My Green Terror caught with my LG v20. High shutter speed so the image took some tweaking.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-20170718_201812_edit_1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks